Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 13:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Royal Enfield trademarking the name "Himalayan" for its apparel range

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Stumbled upon a couple of pics in Facebook. Apparently the link which hosted these pictures is taken down and everybody thought that it was an April 1st hoax! But I think these pictures of a crude looking parallel twin with oil cooler and what looks like an OHC is worth noting. Also note a barrel with 'Royal Enfield' written on it. Could this be a spy shot from the Factory?

Attachment 1356146

Attachment 1356147
The pictures look pretty convincing though the engine is a little confusing. The crankcase looks like the UCE's, and the clutch cable is on the right, but the main block looks oddly Japanese.

Graphic trickery seems unlikely, but the bigger question is if this is a customization or an actual OEM model undergoing development.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:57   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

I'm surprised to see the bikeportal.in article live again. Lets not forget that it was originally posted on April Fool's day, and shortly thereafter taken offline. Based on the comments above, I'm unsure whether this is a genuine Royal Enfield effort, or an after-market mod job masquerading as a scoop!

Adding 'rumour' to the thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But the best thing I used to love is the thump of that single.

Now, with that clean beat gone (twin?)
Why gone buddy? My understanding is the singles will still be sold right? This is an additional choice over & above.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is experimental v-twin bullet making news in US. RE could have collaborated with Aniket (the developer) if they wanted to build one.
http://www.musketvtwin.com/home.html
Old 6th April 2015, 15:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful news if true, and will surely increase the competition levels in the sub 1000 cc, street bike segment.
The clean casting lines on the engine fins, though, leads me to believe that this is a Japanese engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I am not at all impressed by HD 750, its build quality screams cheapness, exposed wires and cheaps switches are such a turn off. Cheers
You are presuming that the RE bike will be considerably better built at a lower price.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th April 2015 at 15:12.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:38   #20
BHPian

Though I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, I still feel this is a garage job.

RE have somehow managed to build a decent package with the GT having some well-blended & branded equipment. They should utilize this platform to bring out future products.

If the rumours are true of a larger displacement engine with decent torque we will have to wait and watch till the unveil, which i assume might happen during the 2016 Auto Expo. After which another longer wait for the actual launch.

Wake up RE! International players are coming with competitive products and penetrating the sub 500 cc segment. Its not long before the monopoly will vanish.

cheers!
Old 6th April 2015, 22:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
There is experimental v-twin bullet making news in US. RE could have collaborated with Aniket (the developer) if they wanted to build one.
http://www.musketvtwin.com/home.html
Its not experimental anymore, He's started taking in orders from the jan I think. Even delivered the first musket. Amazing achievement that is for a single person to completely design and engineer a v-twin, using the stock barrels and what not.

I always hoped that RE would collaborate with him somehow. I genuinely doubt that they would.

Regards,

BOV
Old 7th April 2015, 11:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
There are some things(my wild-a**ed guess) which make it look like an engine swap.

The engine itself. No RE logo, the engine fins look like they belong to a Japanese Motorcycle(Honda, most likely) or it may be a Chinese motor which is shoehorned into the rolling chassis(like that 250 swap into the FZ).
Before posting the pics I tried to find a parallel twin and which looked similar in to the one that is struck in that CGT's frame. (Atleast) I could'nt find a twin of such width with huge cooling fins, oil cooler and even the exhaust header mounts are tilted sideways so that the header clears the double cradle frame. Or may be I haven't googled enough, but the overall engine does not resemble any models I have seen so far.

Quote:
Secondly, the Air cleaner. I presume no Manufacturer will test their motorcycles with a pod filter setup(see how wrinkly the right filter is). Thirdly, the carburetor setup. Considering the ability of our 'service' technicians in the RE stealership, the double carb setup will be going back 5 steps from the fuel injected offerings that we currently have.
And regarding the air filters and the carbs, initial prototype of any new product will always be crude. The emphasis during initial development of a completely new product should be to first to ensure that the foundation of the platform works. And stuffs like the airfilter placement, fuelling and everything can be sorted out much (MUCH) later.

Harley Davidson (during the initial development stages of the revolutionary V-ROD) mounted the Race Spec VR-1000's engine in one of the existing model's chassis (Dont remember which one exactly) and welded everything together. They chucked away the fuel under the seat in a can as there was no other place to put it in. heck, even the air scoop for the radiator was made of cardboard box during initial testing. But the rest is history..
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:07   #23
BHPian

I saw a video on youtube some time back where a person has done an engine swap on the enfield with a kawasaki 400 cc twin. I'll try to post is here.
That being said, these pictures could very well be a repeat of that, but i still have my fingers crossed. Sadly, the only thing with which i am able to convince myself that it is not a swap job, is that drum in the back ground with the Royal Enfield name on it.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
I saw a video on Youtube some time back where a person has done an engine swap on the enfield with a kawasaki 400 cc twin. I'll try to post is here.
That being said, these pictures could very well be a repeat of that, but i still have my fingers crossed. Sadly, the only thing with which i am able to convince myself that it is not a swap job, is that drum in the back ground with the Royal Enfield name on it.
Is this what you are referring to bro ?

The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 13:33   #25
BHPian

that is the exact one mate, thanks for posting . now see this guy has done an amazing job, there are more on these on you tube. After watching this one can assume that the 750 twin can also be a swap job. But it is also true that the prototypes in their first stages can be crude like the exposed air filter and ties holding the oil cooler hose, and i still want to believe that this is a prototype to be put into production soon.
RE has done it before with the UCE and they might indeed have a completely new engine design thus necessitating the clutch on the right side. I have high hopes from RE.
Old 12th April 2015, 23:56   #26
BHPian

I strongly believe its the new RE parallel-twin engine only. Did anyone notice the engine oil cap on the right side? It definitely looks like a simple lift from the UCE engine. Also, the big oil tin behind the bike suggests the pics were taken within a RE factory/dealership set-up only. Also, most of the imported engines are either air-cooled or liquid-cooled only. This Oil-cooled engine is entirely a new Indian Trend.. started by Bajaj. I believe RE is just following their footsteps.
Old 13th April 2015, 16:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

One thing I really hope is that they give a 270 degree crank shaft layout and firing order for the parallel twin under development. That should definitely help them to to create a unique power delivery and a distinctive burble. The 'sound' is always a crucial part of the RE experience.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 10:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield to add two new engine platforms : 250cc & 750cc!

Royal Enfield currently sells motorcycles powered by the same unit construction engine in three configurations i.e. 350cc, 500cc and 535cc. While media reports spoke of a new 400cc engine being developed, a recent report has quoted Siddhartha Lal – MD and CEO, Royal Enfield; stating that the brand will be launching two new engine platforms.

The new engines will be in the 250cc and 750cc displacement range. Royal Enfield will stick to its core strengths and motorcycles powered by these engines will focus on delivering a good mid-range, as opposed to “extreme and very sporty” performance.

The new engines will target international markets and chances are, models powered by the new engines will reach international shores before being launched in India. As expected, these platforms will be utilized to the maximum extent and we will see several models being developed with the new engines over the next decade or so. While the 250cc mill will most likely be a single cylinder unit, the 750cc engine is expected to be the highly anticipated twin cylinder offering.

Lal said the company will be making an investment of Rs. 500 crore for these activities, some of which, would also go into second expansion phase of its Oragadam plant in Chennai. The plant’s capacity will go up from 30,000 units a month to 50,000 units a month.

Source: Times of India

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-1.jpg

*Image for representation only

Last edited by Tushar : 9th May 2015 at 10:43.
Tushar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield to add two new engine platforms : 250cc & 750cc!

Hooray for a 750 cc Enfield!
Price it right and laugh the way bank, Eicher.

On a customer's perceptive, I would be highly interested in checking this out.
I remember buying T Bird (was retailing about 85K) when my salary was 12-15K per month!

On the other hand, I would really love an Indian manufacturer's presence in the "Heritage" vertical.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th May 2015 at 13:06.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:21   #30
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield to add two new engine platforms : 250cc & 750cc!

Upon checking with a RE dealership near my place, the sales person there mentioned that the new 750cc will be a twin cylinder and will be available in the Continental GT (as a more powerful version in addition to the existing GT). This version of the GT is supposedly expected by Dec 2015-Jan 2016.

He even mentioned that Himalayan will be a single cylinder engine motorcycle which will be launched in maybe 3 months from now. Exact engine details on the Himalayan he was not aware though.

Couldn't believe the above statements but he was quite confident about this news.
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed