Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 20:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield to add two new engine platforms : 250cc & 750cc!

I think it will be 250cc Twin cylinder single spark per cylinder, over head cam (OHC) set up. Barrel looks short in height means it will be short stroke in nature and has higher revs compare to outgoing enfields.
Attached Thumbnails
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfieldtwincylinderengine.jpg  

Nilay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 20:27   #47
BHPian

From the picture of parallel twin CGT, I observed one thing that all RE model has vertical cylinder-head setup even their old parallel twin of 50's and 60's while this one has slightly incline setup similer to japs single or double cylinder. The size of engine looks more like 250cc short stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
One thing I really hope is that they give a 270 degree crank shaft layout and firing order for the parallel twin under development. That should definitely help them to to create a unique power delivery and a distinctive burble. The 'sound' is always a crucial part of the RE experience.
Don't expect much grunty sound from OHC setup. Even triumph 865cc DOHC and HD street 750 have muted sound.

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2015 at 21:35.
Old 14th May 2015, 22:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
Don't expect much grunty sound from OHC setup. Even triumph 865cc DOHC and HD street 750 have muted sound.
I was not at all relating the OHC layout with the sound. Infact the sound of a pushrod, SOHC or a DOHC engine of similar specs will be more or less the same! I was referring to the angle at which the con-rod big ends are joined to the crankshaft which affects the firing interval. A 270 degree big bang layout will sound as good as a v-twin.
To make it more clear, parallel twins of N250/300/650 and many others have a 180 degree layout and hence their sound bears no noticeable difference from a single cylinder engine at idle. Where as the likes of Triumph Thunderbirds/scramlers has a 270 degree crank layout which makes it sound like a like a V-Twin. The Bonneville with its 360 degree crank also sounds awesome!

Coming to the 'muted' part, 99.99% of stock bikes have muted/non-existent sound. A slip-on or a full system is the key to heaven.
Old 15th May 2015, 10:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be 250cc Twin cylinder...

You could be right, with all the hue and cry on the 750... God knows we could land up with just the 410 and the 250.
Old 15th May 2015, 11:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be 250cc Twin cylinder single spark per cylinder, over head cam (OHC) set up. Barrel looks short in height means it will be short stroke in nature and has higher revs compare to outgoing enfields.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post

You could be right, with all the hue and cry on the 750... God knows we could land up with just the 410 and the 250.
Considering that's a Continental GT frame and engine bay we are looking at, proportion-wise that does not look like a 125 cc barrel to me.

My bet on the 700. With 41 bhp on tap.
Old 16th May 2015, 19:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
This Oil-cooled engine is entirely a new Indian Trend.. started by Bajaj.
Bonneville?
Quote:
A 270 degree big bang layout
What is a 270 deg big bang layout?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th May 2015, 21:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Don't nearly all of the twins have relatively tame exhaust notes?

Quote:
A slip-on or a full system is the key to heaven.
Indeed it is

Although I feel that the rumbling nature of the 360 degree crank angle might be cooler than the lazy v-twin esque vibe .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What is a 270 deg big bang layout?
Rhetorical question?

Firing interval in interms of crank angle, I think. I'm exactly sure of my explanatory skills.

I suppose an accurate definition would be when one cylinder reaches tdc on its power stroke, the other will fire in 270° before the first cylinder reaches tdc on its exhaust stroke.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 22:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Firing interval in interms of crank angle, I think. I'm exactly sure of my explanatory skills.

I suppose an accurate definition would be when one cylinder reaches tdc on its power stroke, the other will fire in 270° before the first cylinder reaches tdc on its exhaust stroke.
I should have added 'for an I2'.
Question then becomes 'what is a 'big bang'?' (not 'why a big bang'), and are single pin V2s 'big bangs' etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th May 2015, 23:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I should have added 'for an I2'.
Question then becomes 'what is a 'big bang'?' (not 'why a big bang'), and are single pin V2s 'big bangs' etc.
An I2 with 180 or 360 (or even I4 with 180) degree cranks are not called big bangs as power stroke occurs in equal intervals. The wiki link explains it much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-bang_firing_order

In a nut shell, the term points to the uneven power strokes. And yes, the single pin V2-s can also be called so.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I'm exactly sure of my explanatory skills.
Typo, I meant that I'm not sure of my explanatory skills
Old 17th May 2015, 20:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An I2 with 180 or 360 (or even I4 with 180) degree cranks are not called big bangs as power stroke occurs in equal intervals.
You sure?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th March 2016, 14:34   #57
BHPian

600cc Royal Enfield launching in 2017

Quote:
Royal Enfield is ambitious that they will become the #1 in the world when it comes to motorcycles in the middle-weight category. Here, middle-weight refers to the 200cc – 750cc class of motorcycles.
It is known that Royal Enfield has been working on a new range of motorcycle engines lately. One of it has been launched with the Himalayan which is an all-new 410cc, single-cylinder motor.
It is the 2nd engine under development which is very interesting. Expected to be a 600-650cc, twin-cylinder motor; this unit could power the improved versions of current models.
Royal Enfield has already started working on the bigger Classic & Thunderbird models codenamed as D41 & D61 respectively.
However, the D41 codename for the Classic suggests that it could be powered by the new 410cc motor from the Himalayan. D61 for the Thunderbird suggests a new 600cc class of engine.
These new bikes with bigger engines are expected to be launched by early-2017.
Rumor Source

I love the hunger RE is showing and its good news for the Indian Biker

Last edited by The Great : 28th March 2016 at 14:35.
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 19:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
600cc Royal Enfield launching in 2017

I guess they will slowly discontinue the UCE like how they did with the cast iron engines and move to the new engines on all models.
I also heard the d61 on TB will be for international markets.
Old 29th April 2016, 13:59   #59
BHPian

Royal Enfield 650cc Twin - Code Named 331

royal-enfield-331

Quote:
Royal Enfield 331 is the next bike launch – EXCLUSIVE

Royal Enfield’s Himalayan has just been launched and now the brand is working towards a new-generation bike for global markets. The new bike ( internally codenamed as 331) is being developed on an all new platform. The new 331 is being designed in the company’s new satellite centre in the UK. Royal Enfield’s Himalayan was the last bike to be designed in India.

The new platform that is developed is light in weight and lot more flexible too. The new bike will be launched in European and North American markets and then will be introduced in India. The Royal Enfield’s new cruiser will have a 650cc (likely to be called as 650LS) engine that will be a twin-cylinder mill. This engine will be producing about 50bhp and it will come mated to a six-speed transmission. This engine will have fuel injection system. Royal Enfield is looking at exporting the Himalayan with a 410cc fuel injection engine and this will come with a six-speed transmission too.

The Chennai-based bike maker from now on will be building bikes for global consumption. Their current bikes do not have the power to cruise comfortably on a North American motorway. Hence, the company will be building more two cylinder engine powered bikes than a single cylinder. The smallest engine that the company will offer shall be the 410cc. There won’t be a 250cc engine and the company might even come up with a 1250cc twin-cylinder engine too. Though there is still some time for the new engine to be ready.

Royal Enfield 331 Launch Date:
The Royal Enfield 331 is undergoing its testing. Expect the bike to launched by early 2017, at least in Europe. For India, we expect the bike to make an appearance by mid or late 2017.

Royal Enfield 331 Price:
The pricing of the new RE 331 will be about INR 3-4 lakhs (on-road). This new bike will be competing with the likes of Harley Davidson Street 750. At least that will be the closest competition in India. India could get a carb version to further reduce the pricing.

Royal Enfield 331 Specifications:
Engine: 650cc, twin-cylinder

Port: Fuel-injection

Power: 50bhp

Transmission: Six-speed
This is what I am eagerly waiting for. I hope they don't bring the engine into the Himalayan at least.

Maybe a cruiser in an all new platform other than the Classic's and Himalayan would be good.

Fingers Crossed.
The Great is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:15   #60
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 650cc Twin - Code Named 331

Somehow, this sounds too good to be true. If it is indeed priced at around 3-4 lakh, it will end up offering even bigger bang for buck than KTMs. I even doubt there will be a carb version. If this is going to be launched in 2017, we should have had a sneak peek at it.

All said, I am very eagerly waiting for this!! Ever improving roads and potent cruisers like CS400 and this on horizon is a dream come true!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks