Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Is the layout 'big bang' with both pots firing at the same time, to preserve the pop-pop sound. Or it it normal which will lead to the loss of the typical Enfield engine noise. Remember the sound was the most endearing feature of the Royal Enfield.
Dear Sir,
I really appreciate your point.

However, If they really go for the Firing Order as you described (In order to preserve the sound), the vibrations would be extremely hard to control, especially in a parallel cylinder arrangement.

RE has a tough time today to control vibrations from a 350cc mill. We can very well imagine the scale of the vibrations when things get multiplied by two.

It could have been different case, had they gone in for a horizontally opposed layout though.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

However, If they really go for the Firing Order as you described (In order to preserve the sound), the vibrations would be extremely hard to control, especially in a parallel cylinder arrangement.
They have opted for the 270 degree crank linkage from what I have been given to hear. This allows them to play with the firing to fine tune the sound.
Harleys for example have this odd firing sequence where they used to waste a spark (which now in the twin cams does not happen) and the EFI does not inject fuel in that stroke for that cylinder. Hence you get this 'po-tato-po-tato-po-tato' (try saying it softly and like Shankar Mahadevan) sound.
Something they have invested millions in and jealously guard accoustically.
I am sure the RE750 will have a unique sound, but nothing like the old RE thump- that 'zamaana' has now gone, and I wonder why people keep referring to that?
Only thing I could be wrong about is the 270-degree offset- but then I rarely am
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 17:57   #183
BHPian

As per the latest news from overdrive, this bike is expected to make an entry on 7th November at the 2017 eicma show. So it begins at last.
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:25   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
As per the latest news from overdrive, this bike is expected to make an entry on 7th November at the 2017 eicma show. So it begins at last.
NDTV Auto have also mentioned same in their article.

The bike is speculated to be named as Interceptor which is an ode to the RE's from 60's and 70's. Hope the bike gets all the quality issues, niggles sorted out properly before releasing it. But its RE, so it would be against their heritage I guess!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 06:27   #185
BHPian

The bike is speculated to be named as Interceptor which is an ode to the RE's from 60's and 70's. Hope the bike gets all the quality issues, niggles sorted out properly before releasing it...

It seems that they first plan to introduce this in Europe, so for once we will not be 'Guinea pigging' this.
Anyways, waiting patiently for the classic version, the 'pukka' RE.
Old 29th September 2017, 16:31   #186
Senior - BHPian

More details from IAB.

There was a tweet from Rudratej Singh, President, Royal Enfield regarding a ride in UK which inturn has led to speculation that they were riding the 750cc RE.

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfield750teasedbyceoandpresident768x1024.jpg

Quote from the original article :

Quote:
Rudratej Singh sent out a tweet with a picture in which there appear to be three motorcycles. The one in the front gets a bench seat which is reminiscent of the Triumph Bonneville range. The bike also features tank knee pads and the colour appears slightly darker than the Classic 350 Redditch Red. The reflection on Lal’s helmet possibly indicates that the bike has a straight chromed exhaust. It could be possible that one will be a café racer and another will be a classic, a la the Bonneville.

The motorcycle behind Singh reveals a variant with a diamond-stitch seat. It looks like it can accommodate a pillion too. The upswept matte black exhaust is visible, so does the rear spoke wheel that could possibly have an aluminium rim. The third bike is visible just behind Lal where one can see the oil-cooler and the matte black exhaust header.
Though the article is a mere extrapolation and speculation from the tweet, the bikes looks more like a triumph than RE. Not sure if they were riding triumph bikes itself. If they indeed are RE bikes than I am very keen on seeing the end product.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 29th September 2017 at 16:32.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 00:40   #187
BHPian

Autocar India also mentions that the displacement of the engine may be more than 800 cc and that it could actually be positioned against the triumph bonneville, the pic above and it's similarly to this particular triumph model just makes the case stronger.
Hope it's a 800 cc plus as speculated.
Old 8th October 2017, 21:52   #188
BANNED

Got some insight from a friend working at a senior position with EM, it shall be a 650, close to 51 Nm, 40-45 odd HP. Pricing b/w 2.5 - 3, which I really doubt looking at the chrome pricing. Launch no earlier than either close of FY or start of FY 19.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 00:40   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Got some insight from a friend working at a senior position with EM, it shall be a 650, close to 51 Nm, 40-45 odd HP. Pricing b/w 2.5 - 3, which I really doubt looking at the chrome pricing. Launch no earlier than either close of FY or start of FY 19.
Damn, if your source’s tip is right then I might have done myself a favour by not booking the 535 last week. This was my exact concern, the pricing. I don’t think RE will be bold enough to bring their pricing closer to the big boys such as Harley etc. They are an affordable country made classic biking brand and I’m sure they’ll stick to this image. With the 535 priced at 2.70 on road getting such a poor response I doubt they’ll go much higher than the 3 lakh margin for a 650 (if the info is correct).Note, the bike has a very niche market to appeal to. To cut the costs they’ll probably leave out many important features and try roping in customers with the CC and performance figures. Only hope the launch is sooner. To me, the Himalayan is seriously under priced and the GT slightly overpriced. And the C5, well... I wouldn’t give it a second look if not for the drool worthy Squadron blue colour. It has nothing going for it except the design and the colour. Whatever touring capabilities it had has been severely overshadowed by its younger sibling the Himalayan. Bloody hell the Himalayan has everything going for it.

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 9th October 2017 at 00:58.
Old 11th October 2017, 13:29   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
That is an interesting spec. I personally feel we do not need much more power to enjoy the ride on our roads... However, this sort of power should finally make RE highway-ready in other parts of the world. I am guessing they would price it somewhere around 2.8L ex-showroom.

By now, from the success of the Classic variants, RE would have definitely understood how important the classic, retro and handsome looks are, to attain volumes. So if they make a handsome motorcycle (like the Bonnie) then this should see some good numbers, at least from the overseas markets.
Old 21st October 2017, 19:32   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

And just as we are debating, this video comes out. A Bajaj Dominar 400 recklessly racing with a 750cc RE under testing.

Some observations made:

- RE seemed very comfortable doing 140+ easily. A little twist on the throttle by the RE rider saw him fly past the Dominar 400

- The Dominar wasn't too far behind and that is quiet an achievement for a 400cc single cylinder against a Twin 750cc

- The Youtube video says no rear ABS as the RE's rear wheel could be seen screeching at one of the city junctions when it broke hard. Around 7:56

All in all, a dangerous thing to do and surely not recommended. But, the findings for both the Dominar 400 and RE 750 are quiet interesting.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2017 at 16:37. Reason: Correcting video link
vishy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 19:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Well, to be honest, the top speed of the up-coming twin is not going to be its selling point. What prospective buyers in that segment look for is calm and buzz-free cruising at around 120-130 kmph, and good braking to stay in control of the situation. Of course, reliability and build quality too needs to be of a high order.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 20:26   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
What prospective buyers in that segment look for is calm and buzz-free cruising at around 120-130 kmph
Well said. This is a sweet spot to aim for, considering Indian traffic conditions. Calm cruising at 120 kmph with good power in reserve to pull off overtakes if necessary. That should be fine to migrate the bullet from a state highway cruiser to a more modern national highway cruiser.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 16:27   #194
Senior - BHPian

Wow!
The twin engine RE is flying.
It may have the rear ABS and I hope it does.

Torque seems to be quite good as well as expected from a twin.
I just hope RE prices is reasonable and is reliable. Both are difficult to get from RE.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:03   #195
BHPian

Wow because it's an RE.

But,

Is flying over 150 kmph really too much to expect out of a 750cc mill?

Let's hope these guys really don't do a Himalayan with this. Even if RE prices this between 4-5 lakh, people will be lining up to buy it.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed