Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Is flying over 150 kmph really too much to expect out of a 750cc mill?
Flying over 150 without parts flying off is a big achievement for a RE.

We had a Mini Enfield in our lab. Whenever we take it out we used to take a small bag to carry parts falling off the bike.
Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:48   #197
Senior - BHPian

I have a gut feeling that the twin is a 610 cc and not 750. Just dont ask me why.
Whatever it is, i guess should be hopefully clear in a few months from now at EICMA. I will be only excited if they manage to plonk this engine on a Himalayan and keeping the weight under check.
Old 24th October 2017, 17:26   #198
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So this article attempts to put all the info together including the videos:
http://www.news18.com/news/auto/upco...w-1555455.html
Old 24th October 2017, 19:03   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
And just as we are debating, this video comes out. A Bajaj Dominar 400 recklessly racing with a 750cc RE under testing.

All in all, a dangerous thing to do and surely not recommended. But, the findings for both the Dominar 400 and RE 750 are quiet interesting.
Wow, people actually do 120+ on such roads that too on a bike! I don't give a damn, which bike it is, on our roads, this is a recipe for disaster

I don't think people who want an RE are really the one's looking for such speeds BTW, I sometimes ride my Classic 500 and even on an open stretch, I have really never gone beyond 90. My younger brother in his vintage Bullet 350, loves to go at 60. Gosh that thump of the old engines, just cannot beat it.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 22:25   #200
BHPian

First thought on watching the video.

Damn, that thing really goes

Secondly, For an Enfield, Hell yeah

Lastly,Pretty unsafe thing to do riding at those speeds through a rather crowded highway, unless the RE test rider was in cahoots with the Dominar fellow. I wouldn't expect a tester to ride in an unsafe manner.

Thoughts

Whether its gonna follow in the interceptors footsteps or not, I'm quite excited about this bike. Mainly because it opens up a lot of possibilities in the custom motorcycle scene for India.

For those of us who delve deep in the mechanical/technical aspects of our machines( cars/motorcyles/anything on wheels), this should be very interesting indeed
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 23:46   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Wow, people actually do 120+ on such roads that too on a bike! I don't give a damn, which bike it is, on our roads, this is a recipe for disaster

I sometimes ride my Classic 500 and even on an open stretch, I have really never gone beyond 90. My younger brother in his vintage Bullet 350, loves to go at 60. Gosh that thump of the old engines, just cannot beat it.
Ride a Ninja 650 or even a Duke 390, you will be doing 120 kmph without even knowing it.

Majority RE owers prefer sub 70 kmph(350cc) and sub 90kmph(500cc) because post that speed, vibrations spoils it on an enfield. If the 750 doesnt vibrate at speed, i am sure everyone would like their average speeds to linger around 100 kmph on tours.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 07:50   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Majority RE owers prefer sub 70 kmph(350cc) and sub 90kmph(500cc) because post that speed, vibrations spoils it on an enfield. If the 750 doesnt vibrate at speed, i am sure everyone would like their average speeds to linger around 100 kmph on tours.
True. Another factor is braking power and stability. If it's not there, mind subconsciously tells you to slow down to avoid dangers.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:09   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I have a gut feeling that the twin is a 610 cc and not 750. Just dont ask me why.
Somebody had already provided insider info that the upcoming bike would be a 650cc parallel twin in the previous page. And I too remember reading an article claiming that it is 610cc - cant remember where though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Whether its gonna follow in the interceptors footsteps or not, I'm quite excited about this bike. Mainly because it opens up a lot of possibilities in the custom motorcycle scene for India.

For those of us who delve deep in the mechanical/technical aspects of our machines( cars/motorcyles/anything on wheels), this should be very interesting indeed
Yes, this is actually going to be one of the first twin cylinder engines that is being made in India, and if priced rightly, will open up lot of avenues for customization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True. Another factor is braking power and stability. If it's not there, mind subconsciously tells you to slow down to avoid dangers.
Yes, even though the prospective RE customer is not going to gun it down and challenge the KTMs for top speeds at every given opportunity, I am sure the new twin, if it is smooth and vibe-free, will certainly increase the average cruising speed. around 100-120 on 6 lane national highways, and around 90-100 in state highways is what I am comfortable doing - even on 4-wheels.
Cruising at anything beyond these speeds requires too much concentration on our 'kuch bhi ho saktha hai' (anything can happen) roads and is definitely stressful. Possible, but not enjoyable.
Old 25th October 2017, 17:44   #204
BHPian

Himalayan too on the list of bikes with bigger engine

Came across the news that the Himalayan too will be getting the much needed bigger engine.

Quote:
Yes, we will. In terms of Royal Enfield sales in India, it’s really 350cc motorcycles that are our true core product. But I’d say that in the order of 10% of our motorcycles in India are now 500cc, and 10% is now 60.000 bikes a year, so it’s not a small number anymore – and learning from that, you realise there is a case from the Indian perspective for a bigger engined Himalayan, not just for export markets, I always come back to India because any product that we do manufacture with an eye on other parts of the world has to have its roots in India, where we have 96% of Royal Enfield customers. So back to your question about higher capacity, we have selected which models we will be making bigger and more powerful versions of than we have today, and the Himalayan is one of those – but because our Indian customer says so, not anyone overseas.
Source:
http://www.cartoq.com/himalayan-750-...iddhartha-lal/

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2017 at 20:27. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 25th October 2017, 18:35   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cruising at anything beyond these speeds requires too much concentration on our 'kuch bhi ho saktha hai' (anything can happen) roads and is definitely stressful. Possible, but not enjoyable.
That is just generalizing. Bike riding requires "too-much" concentration no matter what speed you are riding it at. It is unforgiving, irrespective of speed, in the sense that the damage is usually very high for the individual.

I agree if someone says that they are comfortable at certain speeds. That is riding skills and knowing ones limits. There are numerous times where riding at right speed is required and this can also mean riding faster, slower or in between.

There is no speed called comfortable, safe, stress free and cruising. Fact is RE needs very high RPM to achieve these speeds in their current set up. The same speed is achieved at very low RPM in some of the bigger engine bikes.

I will avoid to generalize that one speed is good for cruising and the other is not. I will accept that i am not skilled enough to push it beyond a speed and that is the speed i am comfortable with.

Last edited by VW2010 : 25th October 2017 at 18:36.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:26   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
That is just generalizing. Bike riding requires "too-much" concentration no matter what speed you are riding it at. It is unforgiving, irrespective of speed, in the sense that the damage is usually very high for the individual.

I agree if someone says that they are comfortable at certain speeds.
If you read the line before the text you have selectively quoted - I am talking about me, and my comfort zone. I do know that there cannot be a specified 'comfortable speed' as it varies with bike, road, person, weather, time of the day and all that.

To me, even if you give me a litre-class bike, I would still sit around 100 for cruising on our highways.

Back to the point - I cannot cruise at 100-110 on the Royal Enfield 500cc, that is one of the reasons I parked my decision to buy it. And I am hoping that the new twin will address this issue, so I am really looking forward to this motorcycle.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:05   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
If you read the line before the text you have selectively quoted - I am talking about me, and my comfort zone. I do know that there cannot be a specified 'comfortable speed' as it varies with bike, road, person, weather, time of the day and all that.

To me, even if you give me a litre-class bike, I would still sit around 100 for cruising on our highways.

Back to the point - I cannot cruise at 100-110 on the Royal Enfield 500cc, that is one of the reasons I parked my decision to buy it. And I am hoping that the new twin will address this issue, so I am really looking forward to this motorcycle.
More than the bike's power, 120kmph is the absolute limit in terms of speed for a naked bike, with respect to wind blast, buffeting and discomfort to the rider. Any higher speeds, you need a good aerodynamic bodywork, a high windshield and tucking into the bike. A 50bhp bike (rumored for the 750) is more than enough to comfortably cruise at 100-120kmph with an occassional blast to 160+.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:13   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 50bhp bike (rumored for the 750) is more than enough to comfortably cruise at 100-120kmph with an occassional blast to 160+.
25 BHP is enough for that. CBR 250 with such a nice package is more than enough to have proper cruising, racing and touring fun. Its a honda and completely niggle free, smooth and easy to maintain.

If i were RE, i would keep the 350 series, completely stop the 500's and allow options to jump to 750 at sub 4L. The 350 for volume sale anyway and 750 for enthusiast.

Convert all their 500 variants with 750 engine and price it between 3.25 to 5L all the way.
Old 26th October 2017, 12:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

On this topic of 'comfort zone', there may not be a generalized comfort zone for riding and speed in India, but there is definitely one at individual level. Now this differs based on type of bike, engine capacity, level of electronic aids, road condition, time, weather condition, skill, and so on.

Citing my experience, I feel uncomfortable riding with my versys Bangalore group as I feel the groups average riding speed is faster than my comfort zone.
In the process of keeping up with the group, i tent to ride a bit hard and do get stressed out in the process. So i have avoiding riding with them.

Coming to comfort zone, on a dry day at good national highway, I feel very comfortable riding the versys at lets say for the sake of a number - 120kmph.
Given similar conditions, I feel stressed at 120kmph when I am riding my bonnie, where I am more at my zone at 100kmpl. The wind protection, fairing, seating posture, suspension, ABS etc on the versys changes mindset. Someone else may feel equally at ease riding the bonnie at 130kmph, for eg.

Apart from this, based on Indian riding and road conditions, there have been certain generalization which majority of riders more or less agree to. Like for eg, upto120kmph is comfortable riding speed for a naked bike, beyond which, the wind blast gets too much to handle, and so on. But this 120 is NOT absolute limit, as i know friends who are very comfortable riding a naked at higher speeds.

Coming back to 610/650/750 RE twins, it's definitely a step in right direction and hope they do a good job with the engine this time as I found the LS410 of Himalayan very crude and unrefined and under-powered. Personally not much excited about the new engine in continental GT or a Classic configuration, as I already ride a bonnie, but would love to have it on the Himalayan. Exciting days ahead for the indian motorcycle enthusiast, who have been deprived of options until a few years ago.

Mod note: Use CAPITAL letters where required. Proof-Read your posts before posting. Use para spaces properly.

These steps would go a long way in making your posts pleasurable to read for all of us (members & guests included).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th October 2017 at 18:17.
Old 26th October 2017, 13:03   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
hope they do a good job with the engine this time as i found the LS410 of Himalayan very crude and unrefined and underpowered.
Think about it, LS410 is the most refined RE engine on sale now.

I dont think you can even tolerate the 350 & 500 mills for minutes.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed