Almost done!
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1189.jpg

Gift for the day
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1190.jpg

"Choose the best" for better exhaust note
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1198.jpg

Finally she is roaring
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1193.jpg

And the Final outcome (minus few pending tasks)
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1196.jpg

At last when we packed up. 1 RX at the extreme right is mine and all other bikes belong to my friends. They keep me busy all weekends
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1199.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 14:43   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Is this a 6v RX 100 or converted to 12 V?
Pramod I forgot to update, 6V wiring harness works perfectly in this bike.
Old 16th April 2015, 18:06   #18
BHPian

Happy to see the Bike taking shape Mr.Boss. Wanted to ask if you had got the after market CDI unit installed, RDDreams is the best in market as per experience.

2. Is the silencer core opened, if yes pl avoid as it is always better to keep the core stock that helps in reducing the dB and adding more numbers to your per liter mileage.

3. Oil pumps made by Non OEM's always have the luck factor, so better keep a dose of 2T added to fuel to avoid overheating. Oil pump failures is pain faced by every 2 stroke lover once or more in the life time of the bike.

Is the Barrel new and going run the stock setup ? What about Engine Oil and 2T, what brand have you zeroed in ?
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 23:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Happy to see the Bike taking shape Mr.Boss.
1. Wanted to ask if you had got the after market CDI unit installed, RDDreams is the best in market as per experience.

2. Is the silencer core opened, if yes pl avoid as it is always better to keep the core stock that helps in reducing the dB and adding more numbers to your per liter mileage.

3. Oil pumps made by Non OEM's always have the luck factor, so better keep a dose of 2T added to fuel to avoid overheating. Oil pump failures is pain faced by every 2 stroke lover once or more in the life time of the bike.

4. Is the Barrel new and going run the stock setup ?

5. What about Engine Oil and 2T, what brand have you zeroed in ?
Thanks Sriram.
1. No. Bike is running with stock CDI. AFAIK RDD kits are very difficult to get (at least now)
2. No. Running with original RX100 core. Earlier the bike was running with a piece of pipe (less than 50% of original core) Exhaust note is not that throaty now, but let it complete the run-in with original core, later (if required) we may drill some additional holes to the stock core
3. Right now she is running on Premix (5%) Thanks for the suggestion, let me add 2% premix once the new pump is fixed
4. Yes
5. Transmission oil - Motul; 2T oil - Castrol. Haven't decided the 2T brand yet, Please suggest (brand as well as mineral / synthetic)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Some task completed last night.

Got OE Oil tank
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1222.jpg

1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1224.jpg

OE Mikuni carburetor had a crack in body and leaking, so we went for a brand new Mikcarb
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1233.jpg

1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1225.jpg

1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1226.jpg

Head lamp done with DCM Toyota reflector from Hella.
1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration-img_1232.jpg

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 17th April 2015 at 09:07.
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 19:01   #21
BHPian

Hi! Pramod, need some advice. I have seen a Rx100 model89, on OLX. The bike is in Kollam, kerala. I am not in Kerala right now. I want to get the bike inspected before I buy the bike. Please advise a contact who will be willing to do me a favour.
I am from Ernakulam. My whatsapp no: 0091-813682-4881.
Regards, Joe
Old 16th October 2015, 13:08   #22

Hi Mr.Boss & Pramod,

My friend is owning a second hand Yahama RX135 - 2003 Model.
Could you please help in suggesting good mechanics for regular services in and around Chennai ?

P.S - I tried searching the forum - Not able to find any good contact for the same.

Thanks in advance
Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Just noticed the wiring harness. Thanks for pointing out Pramod, we got a wrong harness.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshwiz07 View Post
Could you please help in suggesting good mechanics for regular services in and around Chennai?
What does this "Regular Service" cover?
For general maintenance (Oil change, Filter change, Carb cleaning, etc) I would suggest DIY rather than depending on mechanics. If not, any mechanic could handle these tasks as there is no RX Specific procedure to follow.

In case if you are looking for something beyond this, please PM me (when you get access to PMs) I will share the contact details of fellow members who could help you out with mechanic / garage details.

I stay near Vandalur and my mechanic is very close to my residence. If you are anywhere near my locality, let me know.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Head lamp done with DCM Toyota reflector from Hella.
Does the reflector accept H4 bulbs? How is the beam spread at low/high beams? I'm using a hella reflector in a 7inch dome because I need 100/90 bulbs and can't find 100/90 bulbs that fit the stock reflector.
Old 16th October 2015, 19:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Does the reflector accept H4 bulbs? How is the beam spread at low/high beams? I'm using a hella reflector in a 7inch dome because I need 100/90 bulbs and can't find 100/90 bulbs that fit the stock reflector.
Yes, it does accept H4. Beam throw is far better than the stock reflector and I'm very much satisfied with it. My friend is using 55/60W bulb with the same reflector on his RX (with modified coils)
Old 18th December 2015, 01:48   #26
BHPian

Mr Boss I need the Carb and Oil tank for my rx 100 can you let me know if its available in Chennai ? Location and contact information please?
Old 19th December 2015, 18:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Mr Boss I need the Carb and Oil tank for my rx 100 can you let me know if its available in Chennai ? Location and contact information please?
I hope it must be available, please check with Chennai two wheelers, tambaram http://yellowpages.sulekha.com/chenn...ontact-address
Sorry, I stay abroad currently and I couldn't check the availability.
Old 15th January 2016, 17:13   #28
BHPian

I have a 1989 RX100 that I want to restore the bike to its original condition as she’s been thoroughly abused by people who ride her as the bike is with my father. I need few inputs and help on the restoration and spares selection.

Good part is the bike fires up with a single kick (or two at the most) in the morning. The bike has never stopped (except for lack of petrol) during runs. The bad part is she struggles to go beyond 50 KMPH and max she can do is 55 KMPH though the take off from 0 is healthy - not so good. I am suspecting the clutch plates here. I’ll get the crankshaft and cylinder done during the restoration as well. Any other areas of suspect here for the poor speed. Intake/carburettor?

While I work/live in Hyderabad, the bike is in Jamshedpur. The price quoted for restoration is 30K to 35 K in Hyderabad where as it’s 15K to 18K in Jamshedpur. I have decided to get it done in Jamshedpur for the price factor and also I know the mechanic. Since I’ll have limited time (about a week) for restoration, I am not sure which parts to pickup in advance - from the engine point of view as aesthetics can be done later (DIY maybe).

The tricky part is that according to my mechanic all that the engine needs attention is the crankshaft and the cylinder/piston. He says, that the primary gear drive, clutch drive gear assembly, transmission and shift cam are all fine. I don’t have any reason not to believe him as there wasn’t any issue while shifting gears nor any abnormal behaviour. What are the signs/symptoms of worn out primary drive gear, clutch drive gear assembly, transmission, shift cam, etc.. What is the life of these parts generally. My mechanic is also of the opinion to get the crankshaft repaired vs. buying a complete assembly because of the cost factor and he’s sure about the reliability/durability of the same - any thoughts on this please.

I also need opinion/help on:
  1. I also want to change all the bearings. Should I buy bearings separately like 2 for the crank, 2 for the transmission, etc. or go for the kit. I saw in the post that there is a “Race Bearing kit” and “Engine Bearing kit”, but don’t know what they contain and what they are meant for.
  2. Is changing the jet and jet needle in the carburettor a good idea.
  3. Is changing the oil seals recommended.
  4. I also saw engine O/H screw kit on the post. I guess the contain all the screws for crank case only. Do we get screw/nut kit for entire bike.
  5. Similarly do we get the rubber kit, or do I have purchase rubber parts separately.
Old 15th January 2016, 21:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
I also need opinion/help on:
  1. I also want to change all the bearings. Should I buy bearings separately like 2 for the crank, 2 for the transmission, etc. or go for the kit. I saw in the post that there is a “Race Bearing kit” and “Engine Bearing kit”, but don’t know what they contain and what they are meant for.
  2. Is changing the jet and jet needle in the carburettor a good idea.
  3. Is changing the oil seals recommended.
  4. I also saw engine O/H screw kit on the post. I guess the contain all the screws for crank case only. Do we get screw/nut kit for entire bike.
  5. Similarly do we get the rubber kit, or do I have purchase rubber parts separately.
1) It's your choice. There are few superior After market bearings available, but please be informed the kit bearing isn't inferior.
2) If you feel the current one isn't performing well, try sourcing a carb repair kit. Else, don't repair something that ain't broken
3) Obviously you should change them
4) AFAIK only crank case screw kit is available
5) Yes, kit as well as individual part is available. Kit is littl difficult to source.
Old 15th January 2016, 21:49   #30
BHPian

Thanks Boss for such a quick reply.

Quote:
1) It's your choice. There are few superior After market bearings available, but please be informed the kit bearing isn't inferior.
2) If you feel the current one isn't performing well, try sourcing a carb repair kit. Else, don't repair something that ain't broken
  1. Does the "Race" & "Engine" bearing kit have all the bearings required? Why do we have a separate "Race"/"Engine" bearing kit - I am a novice on these and learning.
    1. Which after market bearings do you recommend at a reasonable cost.
  2. My bike struggles to go beyond 50 KMPH, which is the only (and big) issue. Hence, to eliminate any issues with carb (intake), wanted to understand if this can help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks