Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2015, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash

Having read about India's first automated motorbike washing - EBW or Express Bike Wash on Autocar India I was much enticed to give it a try on my ride, especially when I am a borderline OCD and it is time consuming to manually wash at regular intervals.

My bike is generally never that dirty as I always carry 2 microfibers where ever I go. But I had to give this one a try as my bike recently completed 6 months.

EBW are currently located in 2 places - basement parking of R Mall in Mulund West and R City Mall in Ghatkopar respectively. I went to the former.

What is interesting they (actually the machine) do a complete wash in 2 minutes flat and at a really affordable price of 50 INR only for the most basic wash.

And overall the pressurised water system or whatever it is - which gets very blurry does a decent job in cleaning off the dust from the bike's nook and crannies such as chain cover, engine area, handle bars and switch gear, groove edges near the speedometer console, alloy wheel edges and discs which are difficult to reach manually.

However the most basic wash does not include underbody cleaning which is done with a pressurised hose manually for an additonal cost.

After the washing one has to manually wipe off the bike which takes a few more minutes and overall the job is complete in 5 minutes.

I won't give a detailed review and price break ups of the services they provide as the same can be found on Autocar.

However it is not exactly without flaws.

Pros:

- Finally a complete washing and professionally detailing center exclusively for bikes

- Very affordable - most expensive teflon treatment is 500/- INR (However I avoid teflon coating and do not recommend)

- Extremely quick washing giving a satisfactory result and much better than FNGs and service centers

- Courteous and professional staff

- You should take this when your bike is extremely dirty so it is best to take during monsoons when your bike will be at its filthiest best

Cons:

- Automated washing has left a chip in the rear grab bar - it was easy to spot as I never had any scratch at all

- Automated washing left bands of micro scratches on the tank (thank god for the Paint Protection Film that is there)

- Matt finished areas also appeared to have minor additional scratches

These scratches might be all right for all and sundry but to me and most bike lovers amongst us - it was a slight disappointment.

So I had my Amways silicone glaze to my rescue which helps conceal these immediately so I am less stressed.

I am confused now whether to recommend this or not.
If yours is a fairly new bike then avoid - a bucket of water or a pressurised hose should suffice
If its old and neglected then you must go!

Overall it was good. But what really got a smile on my face was the super clean mirrors which look new.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_154323.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_154259.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_154314.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_154949.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161551.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161314.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161902.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161304.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161415.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161253.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_161348.jpg  

Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash-img_20150501_163906.jpg  

Last edited by ciddharth : 1st May 2015 at 18:20.
ciddharth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 19:33   #2
BHPian

re: Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
Having read about India's first automated motorbike washing - EBW or Express Bike Wash on Autocar India I was much enticed to give it a try on my ride, especially when I am a borderline OCD and it is time consuming to manually wash at regular intervals.

Overall it was good. But what really got a smile on my face was the super clean mirrors which look new.
Good to know that such services has got started, but I am not very sure how you gave an overall rating as “good” even after posting the pictures with the chip on grab rail and scratch on the tank??

I believe in washing my bike on my own properly once in a week and I don’t think it takes more than 30mins.
Chida is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 19:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post

I believe in washing my bike on my own properly once in a week and I don’t think it takes more than 30mins.
I agree, I also believe in cleaning my bike on my own once a week with the 2 bucket system, and all the waxing procedure et al.

It being a new system it is worth trying once specially when it was done so quickly. That was the sole reason to rate it good and its good enough if ones bike is extremely dirty.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 23:58   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2015 at 15:19.
Engine_Roars is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th September 2015, 20:54   #5
BHPian

Re: Review: Express Bike Wash, India's 1st automated bike wash

Posting on my thread again - I have probably gone here a few couple of time since the help had gone one leave and the monsoons played spoil sport.

While I personally do prefer to wash the bike on my own - there is no water hose in the premises. And difficult to find other sources - might as well monitor the help and be satisfied.

I would still recommend the branch at R Mall, Mulund as they have a more dedicated and professional approach.

They have also introduced a foam wash with diesel spray on the wheels and engine post wash for 100/- INR overall.

The result was satisfactory.

I'd been to the R City, Ghatkopar outlet and was much disappointed as usual for yet another time. I was left infuriated but just left it at that after informing the same.

The guy set the pressurised water so high that it ripped off both the ' APDV' stickers from the matt finished areas. Ripped off some of the numbers and alphabets from the rear license plate and also caused a very minute tear to the edge of the bikes graphic sticker near the tank extensions.

Apart from that the slush was very much visible in the underparts of the bike and it was a half hearted and crap attempt at cleaning a bike. That was the part I wanted to be clean as the top is always waxed and microfibred.

They also did not do the diesel spray like it was done in the other outlet.

They have introduced complete bike maintenance services as well. Good strategy by the Iitian based startup but they clearly lack the expertise or hire reliable workers.

The mechanic was just a rookie and was doing complete damage to the Pulsar that he was working on.

Initial hype was good - but now the quality has gone very down. I for one never see other bikers using this that much lately as I did before.
Old 5th September 2015, 21:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

If they don't have a pressure air hose to clean all the water is going to be difficult to take so!w bikes that run on chips and major electronics. Also motorcycle washing if done by owner it helps to find loose bolts, Chain issues and more.

Be it car or motorcycle I prefer washing on my own so I know where there are blemishes and almost every time there is some part I am removing cleaning and putting it back.

If they don't have yet, they should add a pressure air hose and let the owner dry the bike.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:57   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
EBW are currently located in 2 places - basement parking of R Mall in Mulund West and R City Mall in Ghatkopar respectively. I went to the former
They've come a long way in just 2 years since this post! What business models people are finding . From a press release that just came in:

• Express Bike Works launches its 31st store in Mumbai (within the IOCL pump at Deonar).

• EBW has a presence of 31 stores across 6 countries - will touch the 100-store mark by end of 2017. EBW is present across Nepal, Indonesia, Thailand, Rwanda and Colombia (apart from India).

• Record of washing 230 bikes in 10 hours – fastest in the world.

• One of the few startups in India to give a successful exit to its investors including Mark Mobius - Executive Chairman, Templeton Emerging Markets.

• The machine has been designed and manufactured in house by the team and has a provisional patent. It is extremely efficient in conserving water & power and requires one fourth of the water a conventional wash care requires. Furthermore, the water is recycled for constant use until it is deemed unfit for wash care, which then can be used for gardening purposes. The technology is supported by a strong IT backend and can be virtually monitored from the remotest corner of the world.

• Starting 2014, EBW has successfully washed over 2.5 lakh bikes.

• They work on a franchise model.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 16:32   #8
BHPian

Is this bike wash still operational in mulund and I did visit Rmall but could not see it? Hence asking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks