Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:03   #1
BHPian

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty

Before jumping into the review, I would like to give a brief context about me and my motorcycling journey to help you understand my insights better as any review can be very subjective. Nonetheless, I hope this could be useful to not only potential buyers but also others who are curios to know more about this bike, which I’m sure will be unique in the current crop of entry level sports bikes.

My first memory of a bike is a ride with my late father, beloved sister and myself on the tank of a green Suzuki and this image is something that I will cherish for long not just to remember my father and the ride I had with him everyday when I was young but also to recollect the joy of riding.

Once my family upgraded to a nice little Maruti Omni during my high school days, my motorcycle riding experiences shortened considerably and working in the insurance sector, my father never let me risk my life with a motorcycle till I reached 25 years. It was hard for me growing up with other kids who had fancy TVS Victors, Pulsars, or Karizmas (yes TVS Victor was fancy at that time).

Nonetheless, the desire for motorcycling brewed quite high to an extent where I explored every opportunity to sneak a ride here and there. Finally, when my age outgrew my desire and when I was self sufficient and more matured, I decided to take the plunge and surprisingly convincing the family was not as hard as I thought. So, then came a classic, Royal Enfield Classic 500, my first ever bike and one that I will cherish till the end. I sold it within an year as I had to go abroad for higher studies and none in my family were either interested or free to keep maintaining the bull on a weekly basis. It was sad to let it go but it was the most practical thing I could do.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-img_3019.jpg

So, once my studies were done and when I thought I would be settling abroad like any other NRI with a job and maybe a family, I had a big personal jolt with the sudden loss of my father last August. I rushed back to India to not just take care of my family but also our family business in insurance services as there were roughly 100 families dependent on us. Life since then has been a roller coaster ride with little to no time for rejuvenation and the hardships kept on piling. What I needed the most during this time was not a steady life but one where I lived life to the fullest as that is when I believe we all are at our best and my best is capable of not just bringing my family back to comfort but also others who are dependent on the company. Hence, I decided to pursue my passion while taking care of my responsibilities and that’s when I decided to buy a bike and wanted to take my riding experience one notch above the initial experience I had with the Classic 500.

Selection and Buying Experience

When I decided to buy a bike late last year, the options I had in the quarter litre/entry level sports bike segment were Duke 390, Ninja Z250 and Suzuki Inazuma 250. However, I wasn’t so sure about the Duke 390 as it didn’t suit my casual and serene riding style and the Ninja looked too aggressive and sporty for my liking. Also, the Inazuma looked dull and before I could make a decision, it was pulled out of the market. [sad smiley]

Then came the Benelli TNT 300 while browsing some auto blog and the reviews were quite interesting. My curiosity grew further when I realised that Benelli just opened a new showroom in Hyderabad earlier this month and I went to supposedly their showroom using Google Maps (actually it was a warehouse underneath a Mercedes Benz showroom that was used to stock the bikes till the actual showroom opened up). Got a brief glimpse of the bike from distance as it was May Day and the entire place was almost shut down. Anyways, once I got to know the exact location from the security guy, I went to their true showroom the next working day and realised that they are not giving out any test drives of the TNT 300 till a week. So, came back after a week to realise that I have to wait few more days and when the d-day finally came, I test drove one with IXIL exhaust (louder version to stock) and then went to a KTM showroom immediately to assess not just the difference in power but also the perceived quality with respect to price as this has been a huge talking point across various forums. Furthermore, being a person who values quality more than value, I couldn’t imagine myself owning Duke 390 for long as it oozed cheapness at every corner possible. Please don’t get me wrong but when I mean cheap, I’m talking about quality than affordability. For the price you pay for Duke 390, it’s top notch. Anyways, I could afford the TNT 300 and even if it doesn’t match the specs of a Duke 390, I’m fine with it as the riding conditions in India and my character suited the TNT 300 more than the Duke 390, which I think is for people who would like the eagerness and torquey nature of it.

Once I decided on the Benelli, the colour choice was a major headache as both black and red looked really good. Black with the red trellis seemed quite popular with the online reviewers and number of bookings so far indicate the same. Also, the red colour looked dull initially when I checked it under showroom lights. Nonetheless, when I test drove the black in actual sunlight and saw the red in flesh in daylight, I was very much convinced red is the one for me. To support this further, even my mom suggested red over black for some divine positive vs. negative sentiment. Anyways, when I decided to go and make the booking, I saw the green too this time and it looked good too. However, somehow I felt this would become dull much sooner than red or black and decided to stick with my initial choice of red and I’m never this happy for finalising on a colour.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-img_2989.jpg

After assessing the payment options, I finished the entire process within a day and the manger told I could pick up the bike in two days. On the day of delivery, I had to unfortunately wait for almost 2 hours as I was told that the RTA server was down for issuing a temporary registration (TR) and this got to my nerves as they could have sorted all this out before agreeing for a delivery or waited for all this to be in order before opening a showroom. Anyways, after two hours, the manager came up to me and suggested to take the delivery without a TR by taking a written acknowledgment of the delivery and suggested to avoid bumping into the traffic police and to drive safe. I was in two minds as I didn’t want to travel again for another 45 minutes to reach the showroom. So, took the keys without a TR, insurance or any paper and went to a temple nearby when I was informed that I was late for Puja and I have to come back after 2 hours (what a day! and this was supposedly auspicious). Hence, went home, parked it, left to work and came back in the evening to take it for Puja at the nearby temple where the entire community was all eyes for a bike they probably never heard of. In fact, the Pujari was asking if it was a Yamaha (resemblances with FZ I guess). Anyways, the Puja was done and I picked up the TR and insurance the next day to help me take the bike out legally. To my shock, I’m still to receive other documents that I would need for permanent registration and it seems I have to wait few more days to get this done. At least, I clocked approximately 250 kms so far and kept this agonising experience far from my memory.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-img_2992.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0228.jpg

Design, Build Quality and Operation

Now coming to the key part, design and build quality to me are this bike’s strongest points. Also, I would warn you to not be fooled by these pictures like many others online as the bike is way more meatier in person than in pictures. Furthermore, few subtle design bits as seen in the following pictures show the attention to detail and the uniqueness of this beauty. The bike on a whole feels sturdy, premium and well built. Any doubts regarding the quality for being manufactured in China should be kept aside at least from the initial impression and the overall feel of the product. I hope people can avoid being a stereotype when they hear the phrase 'Manufactured in China'.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0279.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0259.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0253.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0265.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0267.jpg

With respect to build quality, I haven’t come across any rattling or glaring panel gaps. Although, the mirrors could get some tweaking as the vibrations can distort the image very slightly. Nonetheless, coming from a Classic 500, I think this is 4K resolution in comparison to that 480p display on Classic 500 (wink). Going to other bits, the clutch can seem heavy initially but I’m sure it’s only temporary. When it comes to the headlight, tail light and horn sound, I felt they were quite normal. Although, I personally feel the headlight design could have been more in line with the combination of sharp lines and smooth curves of the rest of the bike. One good thing about the turn indicators and tail lights is that they are quite bright and look quite good at night.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0242.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0268.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0269.jpg

With respect to weight, the bike could have been a little bit more leaner at the rear end above the tyres, especially at the rear seat where it seems slightly bulky. But once you get the bike going, it feels quite light and I only realised the weight when I accidentally let go of the side stand while parking and the entire bike leaned on my hands. I don’t recall how I managed to pull ~190 kgs of this back together but I managed to get it standing without a scratch.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0271-1.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0229.jpg

Other bits such as the fairing covering the radiator is well designed. It looks quite minimalistic yet very functional and in line with the rest of the body. The trellis frame in black colour on the red bike is not easily noticeable like the red one on the black colour except for the Italian sign of red, white and green. This, just like the one on the tank, is a nice detail and stands out thus showing the Italian cues to the curios folks. Also, the Benelli Sign is very attractive and exudes its long tradition in the first glance. The instrument cluster is basic yet functional including details such as coolant temperature, clock, odometer, trip meters, speed indicator and other usual bits. One interesting addition to this bike is the hazard light switch, which I think is really necessary for our road conditions.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0241.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0258.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0262.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0247-1.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0276.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0263.jpg

When you first start the engine, the initial growl is quite good perhaps prepping you for the amazing beat to be anticipated later. It sounds unlike any I have heard so far in this segment and it seems to have attracted quite a bit of attention while stopping in traffic. Nonetheless, based on other reviews online, one has to go past 6000-7000 rpm to listen to the best note coming out of this bike. I haven’t gone past 5000 rpm on my bike as suggested by the manual during the initial running in period till 1000 kms. After that, I could stretch it till 8000 rpm for 1600 kms and later to a max 11000 rpm. Now I can’t wait to clock 1000 kms and to finish the 1st service to listen to that beat past 7000 rpm. Also, as indicated in the background section of this post, I test drove the bike with IXIL exhaust and it was loud. Not sure how it would sound past 7000 rpm but it sure did grab all the eyeballs when me and the dealership guy rode both 300 and 600i in tandem at high rpm to our amusement and thrill. Might considering buying it after the 1st service to keep the ear nodes fresh as the current sound could get normal after a while.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0256.jpg

Ride and Handling

With respect to ride and handling, I think the bike takes corners with lot of confidence and I think the pirelli tyres play a key role. It's not the lightest though. I haven’t had a chance to test the bike in the wet yet as it’s peak summer in Hyderabad but from what I have seen so far, the pirelli tyres seem to be the best choice to help negate the lack of ABS to some extent. Hence, I suggest all to stick with it even though the MRF tyres are cheaper by Rs. 10000/- and could help a bit more with the acceleration as observed by some reviewers online due to the nature of the component as well as the tread pattern.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0254.jpg

Ride is well balanced for indian roads although it seems to be slightly on the softer side for my liking. Luckily, the rear suspension is customisable and I shall explore this further once I finish the 1st service. The front suspension is slightly on the harder side too when you go through bumps or multiple speed breakers but under hard braking it is quite assuring. Never did I feel it to be soft or spongy. With respect to seats, they are decently comfortable for rides under 1-2 hours. Any longer could become tricky as my bum was numbing sooner than I anticipated. It could also be due to the fact that I haven’t ridden a bike in almost 3 years and my bum probably needs running in too.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0257.jpg

Now coming to the brakes, I initially felt they were on the smoother side but when I tested it on a sharp deceleration, I realised that this feeling could be because of the play in the brake lever and that they (both front and rear brakes) are quite sharp and confident. For someone coming from a Classic 500, I was hesitant initially but the brakes were very assuring and inspired confidence across various instances (slow and hard braking).

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0275.jpg

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0255.jpg

Furthermore, the gear shifts are quite smooth although you could find occasional moments when the bike hesitates to downshift quickly. For instance, I had to downshift quickly once on a highway from 60-70 kmph and the gear lever seems to have stuck at 2/3 for a while till I released the clutch and gave a slight twist of the accelerator to avoid halting. Only then could I get it back to 1 and neutral thereafter. I’m already seeing an improvement in the number of times this happens as I clock more miles and anticipate this scenario better. Also, finding neutral from 2 could be tricky but not a major problem.

Performance and Efficiency

Off the blocks, during the running in period, the bike is not as eager as a Duke 390 in 0-60 sprints or outright acceleration. However, it is definitely not slow as there were multiple instances when I realised I hit 75 kmph within no time and I had to consciously control my instincts to not go past it as you reach 5000 rpm by then in 6th gear. The initial 2-3 gear ratios seem to be short for city riding but the rest are quite long and suit highway driving really well. In fact, even in city traffic, I could pull from 35 kmph easily in 6th gear and that shows the capacity of this bike. However, I wouldn’t suggest this as a common practice as it would definitely put the engine under risk.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0235.jpg

Nonetheless, one place you wouldn’t put the bike or engine under risk is on the highways as the bike felt butter smooth and well refined. Whereas in the city, I could feel few vibrations and engine noise is on the coarser side. Also, the bike could easily get heated up in the city conditions with the radiator kicking in at short intervals. With the radiator kicking in, you could feel the hot air on your thighs and it was quite uncomfortable when I stupidly wore shorts for a short ride. Also, the summer in Hyderabad with temperatures around 45 °C didn’t help my cause. Hence, I strongly believe this bike is more suited for highways or open roads as the bike is very comfortable and handles really well at medium speeds under 100 kmph (possibly at high speeds too based on the impressions so far).

Now coming to efficiency, the bike is averaging somewhere between 25-30 kmpl and thanks to the 16 litre fuel tank, long distance rides should be quite good in comparison to Duke 390. This I believe is another strong point for the Benelli TNT 300 especially considering the slightly touring heavy nature of this bike. Also, considering the fact that the bike was running perfectly smooth on highways using regular fuel even though the manual suggests minimum 93 octane petrol, the touring nature is more predominant and seems more optimum overall.

Accessories & Storage

With respect to accessories, the only one I have seen so far is the IXIL exhaust and it seems to be a worthy addition for folks who want to spice up their city rides. However, as indicated earlier, the exhaust note, which I believe is a key signature feature that is attracting lot of attention to this bike and potential upgrades from Classic 500, past 7000 rpm on IXIL needs to be tested. Also, at approximately Rs. 17000-18000, it seems expensive.

Also, I sincerely hope DSK and Benelli sort out the lack of accessories issue at centres like Hyderabad at the earliest as the touring nature of this bike would definitely demand lot of additions and potentially a good opportunity for Benelli to spread the brand name across India as the brand name is hardly known to a commoner. Heck! even I didn’t bother till the 1st reviews came out.

Under seat storage is barely there except for the toolkit and first aid kit. Hence, I have to probably explore other storage options like a saddle bag or the ones akin to 600 GT.

Service & Maintenance

In Hyderabad, the showroom is managed by Mahavir group and they have a terrible reputation with respect to their service for Skoda cars. That was the only hesitation I had while taking this bike but I somehow felt the bike is a quality product thus demanding less visits to the service centre (touch wood!). Maintenance seems to be quite normal except for the fact that this is the 1st bike I owned with a radiator and I have no clue how to clean it. Any suggestions would be gladly welcomed as I consider myself a newbie to sports bikes or even biking for that matter.

Conclusion

To conclude, a lot of my friends, family and strangers could question the choice of this bike when compared to the cheaper Duke 390, which a lot of people believe is value for money if you have roughly 2.3 lakhs to spend in the first place. However, as indicated in the first section, I’m a person who values quality, artistic beauty and subtle details that indicate pristine attention from designers. Furthermore, I believe I’m more matured to look past power and torque figures while picking a bike as speed is not my priority but the ride and the joy associated with it. I’m sure you could get a great ride on the Duke 390, which I consider is a great bargain at its price point. But the kind of ride I prefer and want right now is more mellower, subtler and invigorating. And that is the Benelli TNT 300 - my red Italian beauty that I wish to keep in my garage even after the age of 60.

Few more pics for the curious folks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0249.jpg  

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0239.jpg  

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-dsc_0245.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2015 at 10:21. Reason: Removed excess smileys. Only 2 permitted per post. Thanks!
classic86 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:30   #2
BHPian

re: DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty

Congrats and Ride safe.

Choosing a bike is a very subjective decision (head vs. heart) and not as simple as buying an appliance. Great that you chose the bike which appealed to you more.
loki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:56   #3
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations for choosing something other than the obvious!

Honestly, like everyone else, even I had (still have, in some cases) a certain perception about Benelli as a brand and its motorcycle offerings. TNT 300 and 600 are made in china, period. 899 and 1130 while looking good are still dated products and do not hold a candle to the other offerings in their price range. Plus, the absence of ABS through the range! When an Apache can get ABS, why not these? Have to say I was indeed curious with the initial euphoria about Benelli entering India and wasn't convinced with the first impressions.

Slowly, the reviews started coming out and surprisingly, every one of them were in favor of all the bikes. This made me Google and Youtube more, to find out more about these and lo, I was convinced. Yes, all the TNTs have faults, some major, but are these bikes gorgeous to look at! And they certainly have character I must admit. TNT 899 is overpriced but the 1130 is bang on. And they will grab more eye balls than your average Z800 or the Striple even(Owners, please don't shoot me for this!).

I happened to meet a 600i owner on one of my rides and he was gracious enough to let me have a look. I looked left, right, down, center, front, back, everywhere and I was scratching my head the entire time thinking - Damn it, where is the lack of quality on this bike and from which angle does it look Chinese!? I was blown away with it. For the price it demands, its more motorcycle that you get. Serious. I wouldn't mind recommending it to anyone who's looking for a 600, over the other obvious choices.

TNT 300. I thought it looked like a beefed up FZ but your pictures made me go ! If I've to describe it in one word, its B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! Fantastic piece of machinery it is and kudos to you for choosing it. I don't think anyone will argue about the lack of quality after looking at the pictures mate. Of course, only a test of time will tell if it'll last or not and if it does, I'll raise a toast to it. The styling is so subtle yet stands out in the crowd. It looks premium enough. The best part for me are those wheels. In that gun metal/grey shade, they look absolutely delicious. As an overall package, barring the power/torque figures and maybe a few other things, this for me is a far more superior and a practical product than the Duke 390. Once again, my heartiest congratulations mate. Enjoy the beauty and ride safe. Noticed that you already upgraded to a MT helmet which is awesome and suggest you to invest in a good set of riding gears if you haven't already.

Sorry for the long post but I had to express my thoughts on Benelli and your TNT especially.

Last edited by Porschefire : 23rd May 2015 at 23:05.
Porschefire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 23:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Congrats and Ride safe.

Choosing a bike is a very subjective decision (head vs. heart) and not as simple as buying an appliance. Great that you chose the bike which appealed to you more.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Heartiest congratulations for choosing something other than the obvious!
Sorry for the long post but I had to express my thoughts on Benelli and your TNT especially.
I agree ABS should have been a no brainer.

Yes! Even I was pulled into that loop of reading more about brand, checking videos and researching forums. There is a certain following that many of us are not so aware. And yeah! being an unknown entity, it is definitely grabbing lot of eyeballs wherever I go.

Man! 600i was drool worthy especially when I was test driving the 300i in tandem with it. It was just amazing on the road. For someone upgrading from a quarter litre/entry level sports bike, it should definitely be among the top 3 choices especially considering it's price point. I have heard the wait list has gone up for it.

Thanks buddy! Even these pictures don't do enough justice to its road presence. I hope the quality lasts too. It would depend a lot on the service rendered by DSK and obviously our riding nature and maintenance. Those wheels, would have looked much better if not for an off-roading stunt I tried to go much closer to the lake in those pictures.

Yes! Did listen to the early feedback from TeamBHP and upgraded my helmet. Set aside myself a budget of Rs. 30-35k for riding gear and will keep updating soon.

Thanks again and ride safe.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th May 2015 at 19:00. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 23rd May 2015, 23:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
Once I decided on the Benelli, the colour choice was a major headache as both black and red looked really good. Black with the red trellis seemed quite popular with the online reviewers and number of bookings so far indicate the same. Also, the red colour looked dull initially when I checked it under showroom lights.
Having a different color frame for each color , Benelli is making its flair felt.
Red bike gets black frame, black bike gets red frame. Green isn't left out, it gets a silver frame ! Nice touch.

I noticed you bought an MT helmet as well, congrats and wish you loads of happy miles aboard the TNT300.

Quote:
I hope people can avoid being a stereotype when they hear the phrase 'Manufactured in China'.
Yes, but minds can be hard to change. No one complains about the made in China part when buying an iPhone and paying dearly for it. At the same time, the Chinese have much to go in building confidence in their automotive products, even if they are good, the perception can't change overnight.

Quote:
With respect to weight, the bike could have been a little bit more leaner at the rear end above the tyres, especially at the rear seat where it seems slightly bulky. But once you get the bike going, it feels quite light and I only realised the weight when I accidentally let go of the side stand while parking and the entire bike leaned on my hands. I don’t recall how I managed to pull ~190 kgs of this back together but I managed to get it standing without a scratch.
Normally weight is an undesired thing, but our desi hired goons , those hired by traffic dept, often pick up bikes to fulfil quotas, and they leave Enfields alone. Maybe they'll learn that other bikes are catching on to this party trick!
I had a brief ride of the 300 today, and while it didn't feel outstanding (excuse my comment if seems like I'm raining on your parade, but my other bike is a 675 ), it has a strong motor that emits a nice note. Best sounding twin so far.

Is there a main stand offered as option/accessory?

Quote:
With respect to ride and handling, I think the bike takes corners with lot of confidence and I think the pirelli tyres play a key role.from what I have seen so far, the pirelli tyres seem to be the best choice to help negate the lack of ABS to some extent. Hence, I suggest all to stick with it even though the MRF tyres are cheaper by Rs. 10000/-
I heard the showroom folks saying MRF will not be offered anymore, since none of the customers opted for MRF.

Quote:
Now coming to the brakes, I initially felt they were on the smoother side but when I tested it on a sharp deceleration, I realised that this feeling could be because of the play in the brake lever and that they (both front and rear brakes) are quite sharp and confident.
I felt the brakes lack feel. Initial bite is low, and then catches on with good bite, but in my short ride, I couldn't make out how much more pressure will get to the limit.

Quote:
Furthermore, the gear shifts are quite smooth although you could find occasional moments when the bike hesitates to downshift quickly.
I felt that too, at times it wouldn't downshift from 3rd and had to feather the clutch in 3rd , move some more and try a few times. Maybe because it's a new bike with just some 170km on the odometer.

Quote:
Off the blocks, during the running in period, the bike is not as eager as a Duke 390 in 0-60 sprints or outright acceleration. However, it is definitely not slow as there were multiple instances when I realised I hit 75 kmph within no time and I had to consciously control my instincts to not go past it as you reach 5000 rpm by then in 6th gear.
Comparisons with the Duke/RC will always be made. They are VFM in this segment. I'm rather loath to put down 3.3 lac for my daily ride which it does otherwise seem to fit ok - doesn't attract much attention being one!

Quote:
Now coming to efficiency, the bike is averaging somewhere between 25-30 kmpl and thanks to the 16 litre fuel tank, long distance rides should be quite good in comparison to Duke 390.
That's pretty good for the size and power.

Quote:
With respect to accessories, the only one I have seen so far is the IXIL exhaust and it seems to be a worthy addition for folks who want to spice up their city rides.
I didn't hear the 300+Ixil , but I did hear the 600i+Ixil. Sweet music.

Quote:
Maintenance seems to be quite normal except for the fact that this is the 1st bike I owned with a radiator and I have no clue how to clean it.
Use low pressure if pressure washing, use a toothbrush after wetting to loosen mud/grime rather than water pressure, then rinse off the loosened mud/grime with water.

Quote:
To conclude, a lot of my friends, family and strangers could question the choice of this bike when compared to the cheaper Duke 390, which a lot of people believe is value for money if you have roughly 2.3 lakhs to spend in the first place.
Indeed, we've come a long way from the Karizma days - when upon telling someone you bought a bike for 86 thousand, they'd say you're a fool and you should have bought a car. Even the R15 was a breakaway - and a surprisingly good seller since I thought it wouldn't sell much being above the very psychological 1 lac barrier. But that was in 2008. Now we have mainstream 150s selling for 80k.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 02:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Loved it. Overall a very nice package, I feel, and though the "Made in China" tag still stings, it's yet to see how they fare overall in the long run. Lo and behold beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and no wonder Benelli gets those Italian touch. Crisp stuff.

Am I the only one feeling the tach/MID light console still sticks to 80s? I mean, with integrated digital dash on the foray even into low-cost bikes such in India, a redesign could be considered from the designers' part, doped perhaps! :

The front end caliper/rotor integration is absolutely perfect, but the rear is an eye-sore, the sticking metal plate that holds the rear caliper could have been retouched to prevent making it look like an iron plate, slid in place to hold the caliper, but nonetheless these are just my nitpickings on an otherwise sculpted bodywork.

All in, excellent review.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th May 2015 at 03:03.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 07:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Yes, but minds can be hard to change. No one complains about the made in China part when buying an iPhone and paying dearly for it. At the same time, the Chinese have much to go in building confidence in their automotive products, even if they are good, the perception can't change overnight.
I know. It can take time for perceptions to change but I hope at least we are open.

Quote:

Is there a main stand offered as option/accessory?
No stand yet directly from the dealer. Quite a lot promised by the dealer though.

Quote:
I heard the showroom folks saying MRF will not be offered anymore, since none of the customers opted for MRF.
Oh! Well for someone putting down this much, a cheaper tyre doesn't cut it I guess

Quote:

Use low pressure if pressure washing, use a toothbrush after wetting to loosen mud/grime rather than water pressure, then rinse off the loosened mud/grime with water.
Thank you for that suggestion with respect to cleaning the radiator. Ride Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post

Am I the only one feeling the tach/MID light console still sticks to 80s? I mean, with integrated digital dash on the foray even into low-cost bikes such in India, a redesign could be considered from the designers' part, doped perhaps! :

The front end caliper/rotor integration is absolutely perfect, but the rear is an eye-sore, the sticking metal plate that holds the rear caliper could have been retouched to prevent making it look like an iron plate, slid in place to hold the caliper, but nonetheless these are just my nitpickings on an otherwise sculpted bodywork.

All in, excellent review.

Cheers!
VJ
Well! I would say it's functional. But yeah can be fancy. Thanks again and ride safe

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2015 at 17:10. Reason: Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
classic86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 10:11   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:29   #9
BHPian

Well yes, was waiting for this review for quite some time now. Very nicely written crisp review which will help many like minded potential buyers all over the country. Thanks for the same.

Bold decision made to choose the TNT instead of the plastic bike a.k.a D390(no offence). Though the Duke has a huge advantage when it comes to power-to-weight ratio and considering the fact that Benelli is relatively a new brand in our country, this is the bike that tugs your heart strings in such a way that you can't stop thinking about it day n' night.

Great choice of color. The red looks just ravishing. I love to keep a record of recorded exhaust notes (no pun intended). Would recording the music of your new bike be asking for too much?

OT, it's high time that we start getting official bike reviews as well. We are so used to the unbiased and detailed content of Team-BHP, other reviews don't satisfy us enthusiasts. I am sure a lot of people will have the same opinion.

Ride safe and always follow the ATGATT rule.

Keep revvin'
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 25th May 2015 at 15:31.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 18:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

had been to the DSK showroom this weekend. The 300 looks so beautiful in flesh. I liked its understated looks, at least you wont be having unnecessary attention. I did not have my helmet and the one they had misfit me so I skipped the test ride. However, I heard the exhaust and boy, its sweet.

Many reviews on the internet talks about its good stopping power and somehow they make up for the absence of the ABS. I just loved the way she looks and might consider her in near future. The showroom guy mentioned they have stopped taking booking for the MRF variant and 300P is readily available in Black and Red color.

3.3L is a lot of money, specially for somebody who has Splendor and had Avenger earlier . I just hope, I would be able to make it this year.
Old 25th May 2015, 23:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
had been to the DSK showroom this weekend. The 300 looks so beautiful in flesh. I liked its understated looks, at least you wont be having unnecessary attention. 3.3L is a lot of money, specially for somebody who has Splendor and had Avenger earlier. I just hope, I would be able to make it this year.
Well! I hope you do too as we need more mature buyers who look past just power and torque figures. You get to live only once. Take a test drive and you will be spoiled further.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th May 2015 at 15:15. Reason: quoted post shortened
Old 26th May 2015, 00:52   #12
BHPian

Heartiest congrats on the spanking new steed brother, ride safe. I'd suggest you get some touring bags like Cramsters. Stick to the regular service intervals and you should be fine. Benelli should have given a main stand or at least a provision for the same, considering the touring nature of the bike. The bits I dig about the bike are its meaty 41mm forks(segment best), large fuel tank, comfy seat and the steel braided brakes. Couldn't have asked for more. That is the major standard kit problem solved!

Also, I don't know what do the boffins at ARAI think when they plonk in the front number at weird places! Its the umpteenth time I'm seeing such a terrible piece of design ruining the existing vehicles. Why do they even make the effort for the same?!

Last edited by coolmel : 26th May 2015 at 00:54.
Old 26th May 2015, 10:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Heartiest congrats on the spanking new steed brother, ride safe. I'd suggest you get some touring bags like Cramsters. Stick to the regular service intervals and you should be fine. Benelli should have given a main stand or at least a provision for the same, considering the touring nature of the bike. The bits I dig about the bike are its meaty 41mm forks(segment best), large fuel tank, comfy seat and the steel braided brakes. Couldn't have asked for more. That is the major standard kit problem solved!

Also, I don't know what do the boffins at ARAI think when they plonk in the front number at weird places! Its the umpteenth time I'm seeing such a terrible piece of design ruining the existing vehicles. Why do they even make the effort for the same?!
Thanks bro!

Yup! In search of the right gear for touring before I finish the first 1K. There is a provision for a paddock stand if that is what you are referring to. Notice the highlighted section in the image.

DSK Benelli TNT 300 - My Red Italian Beauty-paddock-stand-provision.jpeg

Yes! It's well equipped if not for the ABS feature that everyone is talking about these days.

Haha! That number plate holder at the front will be gone once I finish registration. It's an eye soar. I guess it was an after thought by the OEM to accommodate the regulations and hence the awkwardness with respect to the total design.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats once again on your TNT300 Classic. It looks really good from all angles. Can't see anything to complain about. And its a great sounding twin to boot.

That said, at 3.3 lacs for a 300, it will be compared to both the Ninja 300 in terms of performance and the Duke 390 in terms of price (and obviously performance again).

Quote:
Normally weight is an undesired thing, but our desi hired goons , those hired by traffic dept, often pick up bikes to fulfil quotas, and they leave Enfields alone. Maybe they'll learn that other bikes are catching on to this party trick!
More than the weight is the fact that if its a standard Bullet, the goons have no idea of knowing "who" the rider is, and choose (sensibly) to err on the side of caution.

This has been told to me by N number of parking attendants on Coyaji road, East street and various other parking-at-premium spots across the country.

Brass badges on the number plates don't hurt either .....

Such Bullets are never stopped at nakabandis either. Or at signals to ask for license/papers. Put on a pair of RayBans aviators, and just breeze past. You might even have salutes snapped in your direction (its happened ...).

Last edited by ebonho : 26th May 2015 at 11:30.
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats once again on your TNT300 Classic. It looks really good from all angles. Can't see anything to complain about. And its a great sounding twin to boot.

That said, at 3.3 lacs for a 300, it will be compared to both the Ninja 300 in terms of performance and the Duke 390 in terms of price (and obviously performance again).
Thanks bro!

I think both Ninja 300 and Duke 390 are different types of machines with different set of characteristics in comparison to TNT 300. Hence, the reason I said that we should be more matured to look past performance and price as personality of a bike and it's match with the rider is key to the joy of riding too. Just my 2 cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks