Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 22:48   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Eicher Motor's two-wheeler brand Royal Enfield has unveiled limited edition motorcycles inspired by the despatch riders of world wars. The company will launch these models in domestic as well as international markets. Like a few automobile brands in recent past, the Chennai-based company too has adopted the strategy of online-only sales. This move follows the news that Hero MotoCorp sold nearly 100,000 motorcycles worth Rs 500 crore online.

The bike will be available in two color variants in India- the Desert Storm Despatch and Squadron Blue Despatch. An additional third, Battle Green Despatch will manufactured for international markets in which the company is present. They have exclusive camouflage pattern and a distinctive embossed hallmark detailing the particulars of its manufacture.

The despatch riders played a major role in world wars by relaying vital information between headquarters and ground forces.

"Each Royal Enfield Despatch motorcycle has been handcrafted using a unique film transfer technique that uses a delicate and precise hands-on process to transfer the camouflage pattern on the motorcycle's skin," said Siddhartha Lal, MD & CEO, Eicher Motors Ltd, on the limited edition. Royal Enfield will be producing only 200 motorcycles in each color.
The company also showcased despatch rider inspired accessories like leather jackets with reinforced elbow patches, textile jackets equipped with armoured pockets and shoes with ankle guards and toe-shifters.
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...nline/47459315

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-download-1.jpg
Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-download.jpg
Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-images.jpg

Sorry for the low-res pictures. I couldn't find anything better.

I couldn't find a hint of this in the Royal Enfield website. Experts please lend a hand on how to book this beast.

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 28th May 2015 at 22:56. Reason: Attaching pictures
petrolhead_neel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 23:43   #2
BHPian

Confirmed another news from Autocar Professional. It is going to be available online from 15 July.

Cross posting some pictures from the Classic 500 thread:

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-tapatalk_1432837260381.jpeg

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-tapatalk_1432837255463.jpeg

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-tapatalk_1432837251463.jpeg

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 28th May 2015 at 23:54.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 00:49   #3
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! To be sold online only

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I couldn't find a hint of this in the Royal Enfield website. Experts please lend a hand on how to book this beast.
The Desert Storm looks wicked. Since only 200 bikes in each colour will be manufactured, I am sure they will sell like hot cakes and at a premium as well. The online sales will be off their website as per what the news on Zigwheels states: "Prices of the limited edition Classic 500 will be announced at a later date, once online bookings begin on the Royal Enfield website, Lal added."
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 03:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hopefully, Royal Enfield will paint the front fork legs, rear shock absorber & springs, the wheel rims and spokes and the headlight rim to match the tank/mud guards.

The Military motorcycles seldom if ever had chrome parts of any kind showing.

While I'm grumping, the Military blue used by the Navy and Air Force was a solid blue. It did not have camouflage patterns.
The solid blue with a nice big RAF or NAVY would look historically correct (except for the front forks).

Speaking of the front forks, WW I and WW 2 Allied Armies motorcycles (with just a few exceptions) had the old springer (girder) front forks on them.

Now, if Royal Enfield produced these special models with a traditional old style girder/springer front fork they really would be "special".

Okay. I can understand why they wouldn't want to produce a run of 600 special forks but they really should paint the chrome parts to match the tank or paint them flat (non-glossy) black.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 29th May 2015 at 03:44.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 09:45   #5
BHPian

I wish the battle green was sold in India. There's a lot of demand for it, the colour looks awesome on that vintage looking design but I hear there is a restriction since the colour is supposedly to be used only by Defence personnel. Even the custom coloured green bikes I hear needs an approval from RTO.

Just 200 bikes in each color? I am sure it's going to sell close to a Harley's price.
Prash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
+ 1000 to all the points that you've put across. I was wondering along the same lines myself. Except for that *atrocious paintjob there isn't anything different about these motorcycles.

As Jim rightly said, the chrome really does look out of the place on the blue "despatch" model. Especially since they went through the trouble of painting the exhaust in matte black, why not rest of the chrome components too? The rims, headlight casing and the seat springs.

I think the regular desert looks a lot better than the camo'ed variant.

Couldn't find a nice picture of the green "despatch", but from the ones I saw it does look a lot better than either of these 2. Shame that it isn't allowed in India.

200 runs of 3 models. 600 Bikes. I wonder why?

I have a feeling that maybe they are trying to get rid of surplus stock? These are all 500's after all which don't sell as much as the 350's (In India)

* Purely my own opinion, to each his own
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post

Just 200 bikes in each color? I am sure it's going to sell close to a Harley's price.
Which Harley? The Street 750?
What's more! Each of the bikes is going to be exclusive in their own ways. No two bikes will be the same: be it the model number or the unique patterns on the body. I am sure that all hardcore RE fans with moolah to spare are going to jump in for this one. RE is growing up for sure. Soon, they will be giving Harleys a tough run for their money. Also it would be more exclusive if it ran a carb setup like the Bullet 500. I hope I didn't ask for much.

If it isn't priced too high, count me and my Dad in.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 29th May 2015 at 10:37. Reason: carb setup addition
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Which Harley? The Street 750?
If it isn't priced too high, count me and my Dad in.
Ya Right, Street 750. Even a 100% increase from the current RE Classic 500 should keep it below 3.5 L. Good luck, I hope the price doesn't go that steep and you have a ride for yourself.
Old 29th May 2015, 11:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully, Royal Enfield will paint the front fork legs, rear shock absorber & springs, the wheel rims and spokes and the headlight rim to match the tank/mud guards.

While I'm grumping, the Military blue used by the Navy and Air Force was a solid blue. It did not have camouflage patterns.
The solid blue with a nice big RAF or NAVY would look historically correct (except for the front forks).

Speaking of the front forks, WW I and WW 2 Allied Armies motorcycles (with just a few exceptions) had the old springer (girder) front forks on them.

Now, if Royal Enfield produced these special models with a traditional old style girder/springer front fork they really would be "special".

Okay. I can understand why they wouldn't want to produce a run of 600 special forks but they really should paint the chrome parts to match the tank or paint them flat (non-glossy) black.
Jim you'll be happy to know that the solid blue is still used by our Indian Air Force for its Bullets. So that color will not be allowed to RE for civilian sales.

I'll try digging up a photo for you. Here's one of similarly restricted Army solid OG (olive green) Bullets waiting for dispatch at the factory warehouse. The Yellow ones are for the Police (either Kolkata or Goa - can't recall).

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-tf1080005.jpg

And yes, the ceremonial Bullets (on Staff duty) have the shiny bits painted dull silver, while the field / dispatch Bullets have them painted matte OG.

Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes!-picture304.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 29th May 2015 at 11:21.
ebonho is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! To be sold online only EDIT: Launched at Rs. 2.25 L

I sincerely hope there is some other place on the chassis which has a riveted metal badge with the limited series number of the bike.

Royal Enfield battery covers sometimes part company with the bike and are never seen again. Would be a shame to lose the special tag to a legendary trait.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Removing off-topic content, thanks :)
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! To be sold online only EDIT: Launched at Rs. 2.25 L

This bike is neither here nor there, but they will sell like hot cakes. Especially if there is no waiting period (heck - i know people who are ready to pay a premium to own the current crop of bikes, if there is no waiting period).

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Removing off-topic content, thanks :)
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:46   #12
BHPian

Honestly, after all the hoopla has died out, looking at that paint scheme day in and day out somehow doesn't seem like an exciting proposition.

Might be a good option from a financial perspective though if priced sensibly, since otherwise the 500 doesn't quite command the kind of resale 350 does. It might some day sell at a premium the way bullets of yester years currently do.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:59   #13
BHPian

Amazing !
They will be sold out within a few minutes just like one of those Mi phones!

Somehow I sense that Royal Enfield will price them quite high. (2.5 L maybe)

600 is domestic and international combined? Even if they price it 3l+, still they will be out of stock within a day !
sudeep11787 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 22:07   #14
BHPian

Adding a #x/200 by RE is a nice touch (cue limited edition Lambos and Ferraris)
Quote:
...but they really should paint the chrome parts to match the tank or paint them flat (non-glossy) black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Especially since they went through the trouble of painting the exhaust in matte black, why not rest of the chrome components too? The rims, headlight casing and the seat springs.
The pics on RE's website show the rims and headlamp casing in matte black. I'm not sure how it'll end up in the production models though.

Anyway, buyers can get them painted. Not too much work, i presume.
Old 2nd June 2015, 00:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
Adding a #x/200 by RE is a nice touch (cue limited edition Lambos and Ferraris)
Or the Triumph Rocket X (Limited Edition 10th Anniversary Model) 500 of which are getting sold worldwide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks