Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 19:12   #1

Never ridden a bike, want to buy an Enfield Bullet!

Greetings All,

As the title reads I have never (really) owned a bike or ridden one. Due to accidents in the family growing up I was never allowed to ride. I rode pillion quite a few times but never enjoyed it. I'm a car guy is what I chalked it out to and let it rest.

Infact with my love for the Tata Safari ( I'm on my third at the moment!) I never even considered a bike.

That all changed last week when I went to Khan Market for the regular weekend brunch and was shocked to see the RE store.

I spent 2 hours before and after the meal just talking with the guys at the store.. Testing the GT and drooling over the classic

So while I picked up the topic with the Mrs. (Who owns a 1980 bullet which she last rode maybe 5-6years ago and I think just rusted to the ground) and then with the rest of the friends circle I got the usual

- you and a bike really?

- how will you fit a lazy boy on it ( as I refer to the seats of the safari as lazy boys )

- never ( childhood friend)

- your mom will freak (the Mrs)

- learn to ride and then talk to me

So here's the question ( or questions)

- RE Classic or thunderbird for a newbie? Or Royal Enfield in genera for a novice Good or Bad idea?

- Learn then buy (I know no one who owns a RE in town a few HD street 750 owners but no RE)? Inputs?

And any general feedback appreciated

Cheers

PS like car driving schools do we have bike riding schools?
prakattack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 07:32   #2
BHPian

re: Never ridden a bike, want to buy an Enfield Bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakattack View Post
So here's the question ( or questions)

- RE Classic or thunderbird for a newbie? Or Royal Enfield in genera for a novice Good or Bad idea?

- Learn then buy (I know no one who owns a RE in town a few HD street 750 owners but no RE)? Inputs?

Cheers

Let me quote my example. I was always a good cyclist. No one taught me how to ride. I learnt how to ride on a RX100 first. First riding it like a bicycle without ignition on slopes and then finally upgrading to the gears and throttles. Believe it or not, after 8 days I got an opportunity to ride the Thunderbird. Being a fanboy I was, I immediately took the keys and went for a ride. And trust me, it was fun. It handled so beautifully! I took to it like fish to water. Somehow, it catalpaulted me to the higher level of biking.

There's no fear or insecurities when it comes to learn biking. If you're alert and if your reflexes are good, you'll do least harm to yourself and your ride.

Coming to your query, the myth that a RE cannot be ridden by a novice is trash. Any bike can be ridden provided you've got your basics right. Just take it easy initially. For that, the RX100, Splendor, CT100 and Platina are always there. Best trainee motorcycles, IMO.

At the end of the day, make a decision that's best suited to your needs. It's not necessary for a S750 owner to be the local Rossi. He might be new to biking too. But he's doing it right because he learnt it right. The best judge here is you yourself. Get hold of a friends bike as soon as possible, if your cycling is neat and gradually learn the nuances under his supervision. If you fall, get up and deal with it. That's no excuse to quit biking. It ends up making you tougher and alerter.

I don't mean to dissuade you, but please ensure that you're infatuated here with the brand. Do your research, study your alternatives and make the best decision. RE is one of those few brands that stay in the back of your head even if you're riding a Norton or Ariel. It's abnormally self satisfying. When you put the parking stand down, you actually feel you've done something great in life.

There are some biking schools that in cities like Bangalore and Pune, where the biking scene is colossal. Would advice you to desist from these as its a total waste. If your cycling is right, get hold of sub 150 cc bike and head to the local cricket ground under a biking friend's supervision.

Ride safe, Learn hard.
Cheers!
barcalad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 08:26   #3
BHPian

There was one RE in my friends circle in the first year of college. By the time I was in final year there were 7.

And two were owned by NRI students from America who had driven nothing but cars in the USA.
They just learned from us. And became reasonable good riders in 3 months.
Old 13th June 2015, 09:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I had never owned or ridden a motorbike before I came to India. Bought my first Royal Enfield and the rest is history as they say.

I did get a few afternoons instructions in my home country the Netherlands, before I took on Delhi traffic though.

I thought it very useful, because it taught me the basic of motorbike riding. Even a simple thing as putting it on the stand is something unless you are shown first you might end up giving yourself a hernia. Learning to brake, cornering, slow driving etc, all very useful.

Done 10.000km on my 1975 350cc bullet since!
Enjoy

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:38   #5
BHPian

You are among few (rare) lucky ones whose spouse rides (well, used to) a motorcycle (wish I could convince mine to even ride pillion...). I say go ahead and buy one - as others have said, go easy at first and you will discover your style and pace as you go along. Riding groups are aplenty in Delhi - join a few for short/long rides on weekends, surely a good way for beginners to start their biking journey!

Last edited by Puneet.S : 13th June 2015 at 10:42.
Puneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 11:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly different view. While the idea of learning to ride and getting an RE is definitely good, at this point I think you have just fallen for the majestic vibe that an RE gives out. Once you get down and dirty with the traffic and the heat and dust you get exposed to while riding ( as compared to a car), you may not enjoy it too much. In addition I personally feel the RE is not the bike to learn riding on.

So my suggestion is this. Get a local 100cc commuter bike ( either buy a cheap 2nd hand or see if you can get one on rent and with the help of your Mrs or a friend, learn to ride and get the basics right. Do some local riding. This will help give you a view on whether you really enjoy the concept of biking. If you do then go ahead with your dream RE. You will really enjoy. But if you feel it is to much of a hassle, then you are going to feel the same even if it is an RE once the initial excitement wears off.

Wish you all the best.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th June 2015 at 11:52.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Actually a bullet is far forgiving bike to learn riding than any higher rpm bikes. The lower rpm and higher torque and heaviness ensure irrespective of how bad you wring the throttle and clutch the bike atleast stays on the ground.

Its a easy bike to learn and a far easier bike to move due to that heavy torque in low RPM.

Go for it. Just practice more before you decide to take on highways. It just helps you get used to the limitations of your bike.

Riding a bike or car is successful only when you realise its limitations.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Greetings All,
I spent 2 hours before and after the meal just talking with the guys at the store.. Testing the GT and drooling over the classic.

Bear in mind that novelties like this come with an expiry date. I think the question you should be asking isn't "Should I buy an RE?", but "Do I need a motorcycle?" Royal Enfields are not easy on the pocket, even with limited usage.

Doesn't really matter which one you choose. The Thunderbird and Electra are better if you're a taller chap, while the low set classic and GT are better if you're shorter. (Note: I say better, but you can adapt to any of them within a week.)

You can learn riding on an Enfield. You mentioned you tested the GT. That should give you an idea of how RE's are to maneuver. I'd just advise sticking to a 350 initially. Maybe get a pre-owned one?

Quote:
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know about one. There may not be a school, but you can look around for individual trainers.

Do spend some time on this thread before you buy an RE. As an owner, I love my bike, but RE's demand your patience.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:46   #9

Cheers All!

Seeing the general trend and how I think I should attempt to ride for a week before I buy a friend has been kind enough to lend me his Harley Street 750 for a few days (idiot knows I have not ridden earlier but still )

He will drop if off tomorrow and give me the basics on it.

Will update on how it goes
prakattack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers All!

Seeing the general trend and how I think I should attempt to ride for a week before I buy a friend has been kind enough to lend me his Harley Street 750 for a few days (idiot knows I have not ridden earlier but still )

I'm also in the same boat like you and never ridden bikes for the same reasons.

Anyways I'm just practicing on my friends Pulsar 150 and father-in-law's Unicorn 160 and am still not very confident to be quiet honest. Might take some time since we come from car's , but considering our road conditions I think guy's like us need to get all the practice that we need and then think about getting our own bikes.

Street 750 is a very powerful bike. I really would not recommend you practicing in such an expensive and powerful bike. My advise kindly refrain from taking that bike.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 13th June 2015 at 15:11. Reason: Grammar mistake
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 15:25   #11
BHPian

The newer bullets are far easier to ride or learn riding on. After a bicyclye i graduated to bikes on a RE. Cast iron Std 350. The whole drill of starting the bike was an art. Compression, Amp meter, Back kicks. Miss those days!!!

So anyways the point im trying to make is that go ahead and pick up what ever you like. If you know to balance a two wheeler you are good to go!

Cheers,
Rajesh
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 16:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers All!

My humble opinion and request is to not take your friends offer and start with his Harley Street 750. It is a 750 cc bike and a small mistake can result in major damage to the bike. In addition you also risk getting injured your self.

Even experienced riders need to be careful when graduating to a bike like the 750.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:55   #13
BHPian

Re: Never ridden a bike, want to buy an Enfield Bullet!

Quote:
I think I should attempt to ride for a week before I buy a friend has been kind enough to lend me his Harley Street 750 for a few days (idiot knows I have not ridden earlier but still )
I think it unwise to start with a Harley. Let your friendship and the Harley stay as it is.

Ideally get hold of another friend with an Activa and then another with a 125 cc motorbike before venturing into the world of the RE's and the Harleys.
arunkumarsarat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- you and a bike really? .....

Cheers

Only you can answer the first question and nobody else. If you think that is what you want then RE is just fine to start with. I suggest you try it on a friend's bike first and then buy one. There were some places in Karol Bagh where you could hire RE in 90's. I am not sure if they are still there.

Its better to learn and then buy (learn on any bike that has gears) as you may realize that biking 'good from far but far from good' (entirely from safety point of view). Start when summers are over as the heat is the biggest deterrent in getting on to a bike.

How old are you? Where do you want to ride?

It will be very scary to take out a bike in Delhi if you are above 35. Driving in Delhi is one thing but riding is entirely at a different level.

Every year I want to get a bike for me but I fall short of courage to take the plunge.

P.S. I used to ride on Delhi's road from 1996 to 2005.
Old 14th June 2015, 00:24   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

750 street upfront can be risky.

One can get bullets off all variants on rent. Try them out for 3-7 days.

Overall for you the Thunderbird

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks