Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 09:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Time for update, The meters were stripped and cleaned yesterday. The speedo is working fine, just needs a new cable. The Tacho is fried, has a burnt Capacitor and a resistor, don't know if that alone would fix it. I need new instrument binnacle. Any leads for the same would be highly appreciated.

Pramod
Old 25th June 2015, 09:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Order placed for Following items

RPM Meter
Meter Case (Instrument Binnacle)
Wiring loom
Lock Set
Switch Gear(Procured)
indicators
Chain cover (Procured)
wiring loom for the instrument binnacle
Front Mudguard

I have the seat lying in the car and would give it for a new cover stitching today. Hopefully I will get the tank and other painted stuff today. I am busy till Saturday, the assembly would start from Sunday morning.

I will post the pics of the painted stuff.

Pramod
Old 25th June 2015, 10:03   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Looks sweet, Not there with you anymore? There was a time when these canon mudguards were really popular, reminds us of a bygone era. This might not mean anything to the kids of today. I would like to share a small story I read elsewhere, it will bring every biker from our era to tears.
Reminded me of another friends page and i have the same feeling towards the beloved Shogun, which is still parked at my porch in Trivandrum. Everytime i land up, i ensure i somehow kick her back to life and take for a small spin atleast

Quote:
So there i was, blissfully ignorant and standing talkin with my friend on his porch. The highway lay right in front of his place. We were talkin, chatterin away, but both of us began to grow aware of a certain humming from the horizon; Suggested that there was something coming; Soon it grew louder - louder and louder till the hum grew into a throaty tight tone which exploded into a thunderous roar as something ripped through the horizon and blasted past us like a streak of black lightning. And disappeared in an exact reverse process. Leaving us sweating and listening to a slowly diminishing hum. My friend spoke first, and told me that "the thing" was a suzuki shogun, a latest model from suzuki. He rambled on about the RX-beater, its top speed, its ridiculously low mileage etc; While i took in those information and slowly wondered about the character-types who prefer to ride such bikes.

The whole scene had a strange effect on me, though it germinated much later. But for the first time i noticed something abt a bike.
Source
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 12:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Reminded me of another friends page and i have the same feeling towards the beloved Shogun, which is still parked at my porch in Trivandrum. Everytime i land up, i ensure i somehow kick her back to life and take for a small spin atleast
Nice writeup Jaggu, he has put some serious time to understand what went into making the shogun. Next time you are here let me know, I will introduce you to my quintessential enthusiast garage of the 90s

Guys I am also looking for help with the storyboard for the documentary, anyone willing to contribute? it would be a Tbhp first

Pramod
Old 1st July 2015, 09:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem with doing a real time thread-build is that the thread goes dormant, however I like it that way. Got the painted stuff yesterday. Looks fab. The quality of paint is incomparable with anything I saw in the last couple of years

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1451.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1452.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1453.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1454.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1455.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1456.jpg

Got hold of the illusive visor, this is not an original visor, but something made of fiber glass. This in itself was a feat to procure,

no, I didn't go to the facebook guy instead I found a local guy who did it for me at a reasonable rate.

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1457.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1458.jpg

The assembly will start hopefully by today. waiting for some key components like the wiring loom.

One suggestion I need form you guys is, should I get the rims powder coated(presently they are powder coated) or plated?

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 11:36   #36
BHPian

Looks amazing. Nothing beats this color combination.
As for the rims, IMHO pease go for the powder coating, chrome never gelled well with the dark and stealthy character.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 12:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
Looks amazing. Nothing beats this color combination.
As for the rims, IMHO pease go for the powder coating, chrome never gelled well with the dark and stealthy character.
It makes my job little easier now, even spokes are black, which I am okay with. I will be putting two Suzuki stickers on the fork and another Suzuki sticker on the faring.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 19:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I owned just one bike in my life, 1995 Suzuki Shogun, sold the same in 2007. Never bothered to buy/touch another bike after selling the same. I have not come across any
other bike in India I really want to own.

Suzuki Shogun - The Boss
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I owned just one bike in my life, 1995 Suzuki Shogun, sold the same in 2007. Never bothered to buy/touch another bike after selling the same. I have not come across any
other bike in India I really want to own.

Suzuki Shogun - The Boss
Don't you wanna revive the old biker in you? Buy a shogun when they are still available.

Got the seat done yesterday. looks and feels great.

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1461.jpg

I am still waiting for the wiring loom, it will be available in a day or 2. Thinking whether I should look for an original Shogun handle or get the RXZ handle I have powder coated. My Friend who was supposed to get the RD handle from the shogun is now interested in a Fury handle. I will keep the RD handle with me for future builds.

Pramod

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2015 at 09:49. Reason: Typo.
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The assembly will start hopefully by today. waiting for some key components like the wiring loom.
Hi Pramod,

The painting looks awesome and stickering compliment it well.
Are the stickers original or did you pick them from Gee Bee?

Are you also doing up the engine?
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

Get the rims either chromed but with a darker (blackish) shade like the silencer or powder coated. It looks awesome that way, i had it painted black since it was little rusted and stuff.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hi Pramod,

The painting looks awesome and stickering compliment it well.
Are the stickers original or did you pick them from Gee Bee?

Are you also doing up the engine?
Original stickers were available locally, they had 2 quality, I picked the best one and I did not pick up anything from GEE BEE since I have not visited Bangalore after the RD build. The engine is in mint condition, I will lift the Head to see the size of the liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get the rims either chromed but with a darker (blackish) shade like the silencer or powder coated. It looks awesome that way, i had it painted black since it was little rusted and stuff.

I was contemplating chrome, black chrome. But I am not sure if the guy here can pull it off. They are presently powder coated, I am thinking of getting them over sprayed. The chain was lubed up yesterday, even the chain and sprocket is in mint condition. Though the meter says 87000 Kms, looks like it has run much less. I had the silencer de carbonized and I have also burned the flute. I am waiting for the wiring loom and lock set to arrive for me to start assembling it further. Hoping to do that by end of the week.

Pramod
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Changed the bulbs in all the indicators and fixed the ones that need attention. Eagerly waiting for the wiring loom and other stuff by tomorrow to finish the build tomorrow it self.

Could not sleep last night I am dozing off today while typing this.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 00:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

got a full lock set today and also got the wiring kit, replaced the wiring kit, got an RXZ handle which is painted black, got the front mudguard changed to an rx type as the Shaolin mudguard was crap.

The bike will be started tomorrow once the pumps open, I have left a bit of assembly so that we can have our bonding moment tomorrow as well.

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-image.jpg

PS: sooraj rode down 270 odd kms today one way to meet me, I am just a normal guy, I was really overwhelmed to see someone putting this kind effort, just to meet me. He really impressed me with the kind of gear he was wearing. I am planning to invest in some gears soon. It was fun sooraj

Pramod
Old 5th July 2015, 01:18   #45
BHPian

Ah, Trivandrum, Kallambalam, the whipping that the Shogun gave to the RX boys in the 90s. What is there not to like in this post?

As a long-uprooted TVM-er, this thread brings back many memories. My first bike was the RXG, as the RX-100 was no longer available from Yamaha. The bike was with me through college and a year after moving to Delhi, I got it here, only to be stolen not too soon after. Got a Shogun a little while after that did many crazy rides in Delhi and on the NH8 with it after that. Lost confidence in my ability to ride soon after that and became a certified full-time cager.

The first Shogun we ever saw in college (Ivanios), put all the RX boys in their place. A friend modded it with twin exhausts, worked on by the mech in Bakery Junction (can't remember his name now), which could do some insane things and drank oil like it was going out of fashion.

I am just waxing nostalgic. Pleasure to read this thread. Please carry on!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks