Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 14:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
I am just waxing nostalgic. Pleasure to read this thread. Please carry on!
Waxing is working

By the time I went to college, Shaolins were in, they missed the excitement which shoguns had, I was around so many Rxs that I failed to notice other bikes, none in the group had a shogun, boys who had shoguns were reckless, they were frowned upon.

The sound of an approaching shogun always have me goosebumps, there was something special about the sound, this shogun that I have used to
Pop wheelies when I was riding her home, my friend was not able to catchup with it when we were bringing this one home. It was fun but at the same time scary. I wish to finish her today. I have not worked on her since my best buddy is MIA till now

Looks like I am in for some serious fun.

Pramod
Old 5th July 2015, 21:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Finally the assembly of the bike is complete.
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-image.jpg

There are some items pending. I have asked my spares guy to source a new meter assembly, I have to buy a set of tyres for the bike. There is a bit of cosmetic (painting the engine) is pending. I a hoping to do that in the days to come.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 06:54   #48
BHPian

good to see her all dressed up. Looks amazing. please do post some clear pics too.

I have one query, I think yours is a non cat-con one. I am not sure about this but the only way to distinguish that is the later models came with the long silencer heat shield. And also the cat con shoguns were 12 BHP. and yours was 14 bhp. Please correct me if am am wrong. But what year did the cat con equippped shogun started selling?
Old 6th July 2015, 09:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
good to see her all dressed up. Looks amazing. please do post some clear pics too.

I have one query, I think yours is a non cat-con one. I am not sure about this but the only way to distinguish that is the later models came with the long silencer heat shield. And also the cat con shoguns were 12 BHP. and yours was 14 bhp. Please correct me if am am wrong. But what year did the cat con equippped shogun started selling?
Mine is a 14 BHP non cat model, Its a 1995 Model. If I remember correctly, the Cat con model came in the Late 90s. I will do a proper photoshoot, There are some cosmetics pending on it.

Pramod
Old 6th July 2015, 12:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Mine is a 14 BHP non cat model, Its a 1995 Model. If I remember correctly, the Cat con model came in the Late 90s. I will do a proper photoshoot, There are some cosmetics pending on it.

Pramod
If I remember correctly the Cat Con Shogun was launched in 1996. The 5 speed Shaolin was launched in 1997. India's first 5 speed bike, I think. If you ignore the Yamaha RX 100 Tiger. The Shaolin was also a fast bike.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
If I remember correctly the Cat Con Shogun was launched in 1996. The 5 speed Shaolin was launched in 1997. India's first 5 speed bike, I think. If you ignore the Yamaha RX 100 Tiger. The Shaolin was also a fast bike.
True, The shaolin was not very well known for reliability. But instrument wise nothing can beat Suzuki bikes, Some of them were cult bikes as well.

The other RX I did for a friend was a Tiger, quite a bike.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 16:11   #52
BHPian

First of all congrats Pramod for rescuing her. To be honest with you am very happy that i let the bike to you so that you will be able to take care of her properly. Also its a record build as you picked the bike on 14th of June and in between you made it back up and running and that too including painting.

As others mentioned please do post some day light pics. How is she running now?
Old 6th July 2015, 16:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
First of all congrats Pramod for rescuing her. To be honest with you am very happy that i let the bike to you so that you will be able to take care of her properly. Also its a record build as you picked the bike on 14th of June and in between you made it back up and running and that too including painting.

As others mentioned please do post some day light pics. How is she running now?
Thanks JK, Like I mentioned in the first post, I was extremely free. All my evenings went on working on her. One night when I was unable to sleep I remember burning the flute (silencer core) at 3 AM

Painting took more time than anticipated, I booked the painter for these days but rain kind of killed the party. The bike was in great condition over all, that really helped.

I was the first one to share the pics of the bike in our watsapp when it was up for sale. One Friday when I was really bored at work I decided to check with you, that was the best decision so far

I will post some daytime pics, problem is by the time I reach home, day time is already over, I will try to post some pics soon.

Pramod
Old 7th July 2015, 09:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Not The best of images but these were just a few images I could take before the office dash.

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1472.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1473.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1474.jpg
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_1475.jpg

There are some items pending like, painting the engine and other stuff black, installing the grab rail, Installing the chain cover, new number plates and the changing the tyres.

I am installing 100/90 18 rear wheel on the shogun and front 2.75 wheels, Just wanted to know if there would be any issues. I have spare rear tyre from my RD build, which I can test fit.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 10:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

The seat was not connected to the chassis as the cross member was in paint, Got that yesterday and trust me. Its one fiddly bit of kit, First I removed the side panels to get a better understanding of how it fits, This is my first bike with body panels, its so weirdly engineered and trust me this is one bike that requires advanced skills.

Anyways, yesterday saw an abandoned shogun while visiting a friend, looking to get that as well .

If I get it, this time its going to be silver or pearl white.

The present shogun needs to go to the painter in a day or 2, the painter needs to fix panel gaps and the engine and rest of the exposed bits in the bike needs to be painted. Looks like its gonna take a lot of time now as the painter has already given me a disclaimer that its gonna take time.

Pramod
Old 8th July 2015, 11:16   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
yesterday saw an abandoned shogun while visiting a friend, looking to get that as well .

If I get it, this time its going to be silver or pearl white.
You are lucky I must say.
Expecting another restoration thread very soon.
PS: Are shogun parts available in your locality? or do you get it shipped from somewhere else?

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 8th July 2015 at 11:17.
Old 8th July 2015, 11:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
You are lucky I must say.
Expecting another restoration thread very soon.
PS: Are shogun parts available in your locality? or do you get it shipped from somewhere else?
Most parts are available easily, its only a myth that the parts are not available, I got all the body panels and sticker kit from a local shop nearby JKs house. Everything including cylinder kits are available online and elsewhere locally especially in tamilnadu.

Pramod
Old 8th July 2015, 12:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a great restoration, Pramod. I had a Samurai for over 12 years and when I bought the Samurai in 1993 I was still in dilemma if I should consider the Shogun instead. Great looks and a mean machine I must say.

While I know you are still waiting for few parts to be bolted on, I would recommend you get the 'SUZUKI' stickering in white done on the front visor which would add to the originality of the bike. Paint quality looks top-notch.

On a side note, apart from the carburettor version, there was an FI version in the works those days about which I have read in auto magazines. However, not sure if that version got to see the light of the day.
Old 8th July 2015, 13:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I would recommend you get the 'SUZUKI' stickering in white done on the front visor .
That is on the cards, I asked my painter yesterday if he still had that sticker from the kit, He has not confirmed it, if not I would get one done outside and clear coat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
On a side note, apart from the carburettor version, there was an FI version in the works those days about which I have read in auto magazines. However, not sure if that version got to see the light of the day.

You must be referring to the Suzuki Shadow, Its a concept bike that was displayed during an auto expo, also had disk brakes and alloys, I am not very sure if it was an FI bike, However this project was dropped altogether and the company focused on the fiero.

Pramod
Old 8th July 2015, 14:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Pramod like your Mitsubishi Lancer(I too own a Lancer 1.5 Petrol) ownership thread and the restoration threads about your Yamaha RD350 and now the Suzuki Shogun is awesome treat to the eyes and it shows your passion and hard work in building them. I remember seeing these two strokers donning the roads in Kerala in the early 1990's when I used to come there for vacation. My uncle himself had a Japan spec Yamaha RX100 and later Suzuki Samurai. As a kid I used to ask him why he doesn't opt for the Hero Honda CD100 or Sleek (those days the Sleek was a different looking motorcycle). He used to tell me you have to ride bikes like RX100 and Samurai and you will understand. Yes indeed, I found out later about the riding experience and the maddening acceleration when I got the opportunity to ride these two strokers. I also rode a Kawasaki Bajaj KB125 sometime during late 90's. Your restoration threads on these two strokers really bring back the nostalgia of the bygone days.

Keep up the good work, maashey addipoli bikes you have!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks