Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 19:18   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Sad to see it go ! I hope the new owner gets involved enough to keep these "mechanics" out of the way.

Is anything coming up soon ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 21:31   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sad to see it go ! I hope the new owner gets involved enough to keep these "mechanics" out of the way.

Is anything coming up soon ?
He is s passionate kid, he keeps the bike very close to him, last week he was telling me how he helped the mechs at the workshop to do some chores

Nothing new as of now, there is a 135 which I am building for a work mate. I search 2 things on olx twice a day, a Yamaha rxz and a Suzuki shogun

Pramod
Old 4th September 2015, 22:57   #93
BHPian

Oww dear!!!! Its simply sad that the bike went away before I had a chance to see it completely restored and running. The greatest blessing an ex-owner can have is to see his bike/car being maintained well and good by the new owner. Like I said, its sad that the bike is gone, but I am in a way glad that there are "college kids" still interested in two strokes, particularly a Suzuki (instead of a Yamaha), if you know what I mean.
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 12:33   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Oww dear!!!! Its simply sad that the bike went away before I had a chance to see it completely restored and running. The greatest blessing an ex-owner can have is to see his bike/car being maintained well and good by the new owner. Like I said, its sad that the bike is gone, but I am in a way glad that there are "college kids" still interested in two strokes, particularly a Suzuki (instead of a Yamaha), if you know what I mean.
Like I mentioned, the bike didn't connect with me during the build and I was not really sure how to convince my folks regarding another bike, but I slowly fell in love with the bike towards the fag end of the build, and I never though it would really hit me until I saw it go. That was the moment I really got overwhelmed with emotions, I never thought this would happen to me but it did.

The kid is really passionate, he used to ping me during my build to ask me for the progress on the build. I really saw a younger me in him when he decided to ride the bike till his place, I never really thought anyone would take that kind of risk on an unknown machine, he is not a Yamaha guy but he appreciates Yamaha bikes, like you he also got to ride the RD , he has conveyed his wish list to me and asked me to look if I stumble upon any used bikes from his list, all bikes in the List are 2T Suzukis and Kawasakis.

He will make a great human being, especially since he didn't just hand the bike over to a mech, instead he did a lot of research to find a guy in his area and helped the mech to do stuff like cleaning the tank. I know for sure that he will take great care of the bike.

Pramod
Old 7th September 2015, 19:52   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Like I mentioned ......
I know for sure that he will take great care of the bike.

Pramod
Come on.. Isn't this a classic example of how we humans are humbly reminded that true happiness is in giving.. I can imagine when you said it broke your heart when you saw it go. I really need to get off my lazy arse and start doing something on my own. I really need to salvage all the courage and shoo away my confidence-issues that keep telling me that i might "break" something. And by the way, the next time I visit you, I'd love to meet this guy.

Regards..
Old 7th April 2017, 09:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Guess who is back, Yeah the shogun is back. My ex boss bought it from the kid, looks like he had a fall from the bike, it was missing the crash guard and there was a nasty dent on the tank, its all now fixed and the bike is in mint condition. Yesterday it came to me since the battery was dead, I suspect there is no grounding, I took the bike to office today with a different battery and that too was drained completely, Confirming my suspicion.

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_6022.jpg

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:57   #97

Re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Quote:
Guess who is back, Yeah the shogun is back. My ex boss bought it from the kid, looks like he had a fall from the bike, it was missing the crash guard and there was a nasty dent on the tank, its all now fixed and the bike is in mint condition. Yesterday it came to me since the battery was dead, I suspect there is no grounding, I took the bike to office today with a different battery and that too was drained completely, Confirming my suspicion.

Attachment 1627212

Pramod
Was reading through most of the Shogun related thread to find some sources to procure some parts for my Shogun. Accidentally happened to stumble upon this thread. Your restoration project is super awesome. No words! It is unbelievable that you got it back.
Like this me too owned a Shogun back in 1996 and i used it till 2006 at trivandrum, but i am forced to sell it. Ever since then i always missed the exhaust note of the BOSS. Fast forward to 2016, one of my friend, my neighbour who owned a shogun which he brought brand new in 1999, he was maintaining it. When ever i meet him, i let him know my desire to own a shogun again. One fine morning he ringed me and told you can take my Shogun if you want that too for a very nominal price.
Within minutes i was at his doorsteps taking the delivery of this well maintained, Sweet machine. He have done the retest and all the book and papers including insurance were upto date.

The bike is with me since a year. And i was taking good care of it.
Now i need two things to be sorted out.
1)Need Few parts like the front Visor
2)One of the rear indicator stay broken
3)The major issue - Once i open up the throttle and when cruising in high RPM, the sound of engine changes and it come to a halt. What ever attempt you make to kick start, it wont. but after some time, may be an hour later, It will start in a single kick. What could this be?
The Coil?
Piston Rings?

My friend told, before re testing the mechanic did replace the piston and rings.

Pramod, it will be great if you can suggest a place where i can find the spare parts, and a good mechanic. I used to be at Jagathy Murugan's workshop. Seems like these days the place is too busy.

Right now the bike is at Kochi, My daily commute to office
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-img_20160703_182021099.jpg  

rust_in_peace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:13   #98
BHPian

looks like Mechanic has set the piston very 'tight' and your bike's engine is siezing. Either you can open the engine, do a slight reaming of the bore or you could even slightly file down the high spots on the piston.
Suresh Stephen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 17:23   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
looks like Mechanic has set the piston very 'tight' and your bike's engine is siezing. Either you can open the engine, do a slight reaming of the bore or you could even slightly file down the high spots on the piston.
Thanks Suresh, Will check with mechanic on my next visit
Old 17th July 2017, 14:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust_in_peace View Post
Pramod, it will be great if you can suggest a place where i can find the spare parts, and a good mechanic. I used to be at Jagathy Murugan's workshop. Seems like these days the place is too busy.

Right now the bike is at Kochi, My daily commute to office
Great news that the bike is with you now, I am restoring another Shogun for a friend. You can get the visor glass made locally, there is a shop near Thagaraparambu that deals with plexiglass, its on the street that is opposite Amba, that leads towards the uplamoodu paalam. The shop is the first building on the right on the street, you can buy the whole visor online

Like suresh mentioned, could be a heat seizure, could be the HT coil, could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter. since you mentioned high speed, I had the same issue in my Rx100, due to lot of a rust in the tank, I have changed the tank and changed the filter, the issue never reoccurred.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:10   #101

Quote:
Great news that the bike is with you now, I am restoring another Shogun for a friend. You can get the visor glass made locally, there is a shop near Thagaraparambu that deals with plexiglass, its on the street that is opposite Amba, that leads towards the uplamoodu paalam. The shop is the first building on the right on the street, you can buy the whole visor online

Like suresh mentioned, could be a heat seizure, could be the HT coil, could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter. since you mentioned high speed, I had the same issue in my Rx100, due to lot of a rust in the tank, I have changed the tank and changed the filter, the issue never reoccurred.

Pramod
Thanks mate, I suspect it could be the rust in tank, will try to sort out with the help of a mechanic.

Since my visir itself have some dents, will buy the whole visor online. Do keep us posted with pictures of your ongoing restoration for your friend
Old 15th August 2017, 17:31   #102
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-0bc2a1a75fc745fdb507470df1c7dd8a.jpeg

My latest restoration, looks like this is going to be my last off the frame restoration for someone else. I am not able to meet deadlines due to busy schedule.

Hope you all enjoy it.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:48   #103
BANNED

Quote:
My latest restoration, looks like this is going to be my last off the frame restoration for someone else. I am not able to meet deadlines due to busy schedule.
Wow, that looks truly nice.

What is your opinion about buying a Shaolin? I know it wasn't a great success and didn't sell a lot either but good Shoguns are priced ridiculously and a few spares too are tough to get is what I m told.

Is it possible to get Shaolin spares easily? What about mechanical know-how? How robust is the bike mechanically? My friend had one a long time ago and it ran well for quite a few years.
Old 16th August 2017, 02:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1666603

Hope you all enjoy it.

Pramod

Hello Pramod,

I came upon this thread by a sheer coincidence.

That is a marvelous restoration & the joy that it has given me just by looking at it is unexplainable.

I bought my first bike; a Suzuki Shogun in May 1994 in Dehradun. It was contrary to advice from my friends most of whom were either KB100 or RX 100 riders. It was one of the first Shoguns in Dehradun and I still remember the tagline of the hoarding which said, “Suzuki Shogun – The BOSS”.

This was a phenomenal bike to own in the mid 90s. Once riding out of town on the way to Mussoorie, I still remember the startled look on the face of bunch of riders on RE Bullet, KB 100 & RX 100 on Rajpur Road when I out accelerated them and continued to increase the gap in spite of their best efforts (by the way I was riding pillion); the 110 cc engine was singing North of 12,000 rpm and I was in the clouds.

Shogun was a no nonsense bike that required nothing but frequent topping up of the 2 stroke engine oil & regular gas; I must also mention that I diligently got the bike serviced as per owners’ manual. Two stroke bikes, in any case, were almost maintenance free, however, Shogun was really good (maybe TVS at the time wanted to showcase their technical prowess/quality consciousness to the big 3 back then), something that my friends riding the 2 stroke bikes from the house of Yamaha & Kawasaki Bajaj grudgingly acknowledged.

I had the bike for about 3 years and then I gave it to my younger brother who has nursed it all along. He does most of the work on the bike himself and refuses to give it up in spite of our parents cajoling him to graduate to a 4 wheeler.

I have owned 8 different vehicles back in India and here in Canada since then however the amount of excitement that I experienced when I was riding the bike from the showroom to our House in Dehradun on a balmy night of May 1994 is unmatchable (perhaps with the exception of a brand new Gypsy King that I acquired last year).

The bike has done 1, 70,000 kms and is still with my younger brother in Shimla who has ridden it to all the nooks and corners of the country. He has changed the engine block and a few other parts over the years but the spare parts are becoming increasingly impossible to source now.

I would like you to weigh in on if it is at all feasible to restore the bike to its pristine glory and if it is then from where can I source the parts; my brother probably will need everything barring the frame and the engine block.

Thank you so very much for sharing your work.

Regards,
Vikram
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 13:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Wow, that looks truly nice.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What is your opinion about buying a Shaolin? .
I would suggest, keep looking for a shogun, shaolin is not a bike that can match the sheer excitement of a shogun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I would like you to weigh in on if it is at all feasible to restore the bike to its pristine glory and if it is then from where can I source the parts; my brother probably will need everything barring the frame and the engine block.
All spares are available, if you are going to restore it pin to pin the outcome will surely be great, I can help you, if you need any support with mechanicals. Most spares are available online(safexbikes, facebook groups).

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks