Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 17:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
No clue about the piston / cylinder size as I had just bought it and it was awaiting restoration. I had every single OE part in the catalogue brand new ready for the restoration including cylinder kits, carb, crank, crank case, tank, meters and side panels etc. Was hoping to do a resto similar to my Z. Anyways. Good luck.
And where are these spares now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Wow, it needs a considerable amount of passion to go from one restoration to another within a short span of time. All the very best for your ventures
regards adrian

Thanks for the support, its not a venture, its called mid life crisis

Pramod
Old 15th June 2015, 17:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Well, none with me. All went to a genuine 2 stroker.
Old 15th June 2015, 17:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Well, none with me. All went to a genuine 2 stroker.
Great to know that. I will keep the thread posted with updates.

Pramod
Old 15th June 2015, 22:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Listen to the heart and get yourself one
Ah ! I Wish I could. Lot of commitments ..

Quote:
Are spares available now ?
Old 16th June 2015, 00:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ah ! I Wish I could. Lot of commitments ..
Everybody has commitment, take a leap of faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Are spares available now ?
Most of the spares are available, if you wish to go for NOS barrels or crank you would end up breaking your bank. For me its supposed to be a small rebuild, lets see where it ends. i have sprayed the crash guard and other small bits and bobs, need to give the main stuff for painting tomorrow.

Pramod
Old 16th June 2015, 02:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Shogun has a special place in my heart, as it was the first motorcycle which i had restored, with a new cylinder kit,Body panels, RPM meter and the works.
Good luck with your build, keep us posted. This was mine just after it was restored in 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!-267381_104835592950244_47292_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 09:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Shogun has a special place in my heart, as it was the first motorcycle which i had restored, with a new cylinder kit,Body panels, RPM meter and the works.
Good luck with your build, keep us posted. This was mine just after it was restored in 2008.
Looks sweet, Not there with you anymore? There was a time when these canon mudguards were really popular, reminds us of a bygone era. This might not mean anything to the kids of today. I would like to share a small story I read elsewhere, it will bring every biker from our era to tears.

It’s a Sunday evening, the traffic is less, some cars few bikes, less noise, lesser smoke. A guy comes blasting down residency road, tearing into MG road, he is gunning a RX135,a heavily ported one, and it screams all the way as the guy wrings the throttle throwing it from one curve to another, down one stretch to the other. He smokes two stock shoguns who try to give chase, zips past a hapless KB125 ,leaving the guy in the dust fumbling for a too-late downshift, turns back and leers at the subdued shoguns way behind, now looking for alternate routes to avoid disgrace, and zooms out of residency and erupts into MG road. 20 metres ahead is a junction, signal is red, and its empty except for a rather middle aged person on his big, old and clumsy looking vehicle. The punk smirks and comes to a skidding stop inches near the middle aged guy, a rather stocky but peaceful looking chap, easily straddling his ancient looking bike. The punk searches for some competitive spirit on the old face, but only an inscrutable expression that seem to say, does your mother know you are out, son? The punk answers by revving up his already hot rx, middle aged or whatever, this sluggish oaf and his oversized wheat bag of a bike should be taught a thing or two about taking off like a slingshot and seeing 90kmphr in 9 seconds, he figures...The signal changes to orange and in a fleeting second as the old man weighed down the kicker, the punk felt like he caught sight of a double image of spark plugs running into the engine heart... As the signal turns red, and as the punk let the clutch loose, there was a throaty explosion, a double burst of furious energy, as twin pistons started ramming away in a 350cc double cylinder house. As the freak strangled his throttle, his first gear in duty, his RX surging ahead, there was a swish of a light wind past him, as the old 'clumsy' and 'oafish' bike surged past, the peaceful looking guy lightly stroking the throttle, as 31 horses exploded in rage.. There was a shock of un believability from deep inside the RX fellas bowels, that feeling of helplessness when you know that your bike is at its limit, as he flicked over to 2nd then to 3rd.The monster ahead seemed to be effortlessly out of reach, the middle aged rider but easy on the throttle. There was enough grunt in the 3rd gear of his RX to take him to within a few metres of the growling double silencers, but something seemed to come over the old chap, the throttling hand seemed to angle down a few more degrees as there was another burst of double explosions, as the two metre ahead silencers spewed smoke and shot ahead in a burst of unbelievable middle-top end power. As the RX shifted to 4th the last the helpless ex-proud owner saw of the flying beast was the chap still flicking the pedal at his left foot, apparently still not in top gear...

I have restored the switches and crashguard last night. the look great. need to restore other stuff today, such as saree guard, handle yokes and other small metal parts. I will also do the chain guard and other small bits and bobs. All cables would be replaced tonight.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 11:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing the story. Made my morning. Is there more from where it came?

All the best for the Shogun restoration - your threads are making me nostalgic about my college days - the days of RX,RXZ, KB RTZ, Shogun, Supra and of-course, the Bullets.

--Anoop
Old 16th June 2015, 12:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you for sharing the story. Made my morning. Is there more from where it came?

All the best for the Shogun restoration - your threads are making me nostalgic about my college days - the days of RX,RXZ, KB RTZ, Shogun, Supra and of-course, the Bullets.

--Anoop
There is a lot more from where that came , and I have some amazing ideas, Since I have every brand of 2 stroke bikes from the early 90s. I am thinking of a documentary, lets see how it goes from here. I was thinking of avoiding some powder coating small bits, but now I feel like it needs to be done.

Pramod
Old 17th June 2015, 00:39   #25
BHPian

My Dream of owning a Shogun

The Shogun has been my dream bike and always look at them longing when I see one pass by. There are plenty of them for sale, but I am put off by the lack of spares specially engine parts. I recently saw a block kit go for 15K .

I wish you best of luck with your restoration, I'll keep a jealous eye on this thread.
Old 17th June 2015, 09:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Dream of owning a Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
The Shogun has been my dream bike and always look at them longing when I see one pass by. There are plenty of them for sale, but I am put off by the lack of spares specially engine parts. I recently saw a block kit go for 15K .

I wish you best of luck with your restoration, I'll keep a jealous eye on this thread.
Thanks a lot buddy, this is the bike to have. Since college I used to like the dark side character of the bike, especially the black ones. They were a rage in Bangalore and other parts of KA, but in Kerala they were outnumbered by RX series bikes. Most of the remaining shoguns ended up at some drag club in Bangalore or Coimbatore, some were converted to dirt bikes. In the last 8-10 months I have only seen overpriced examples or samurai to shogun converts. These bikes are definitely rare and I have a chance to spot more RDs in Trivandrum than these bikes, last one I saw on the road besides mine was on Thursday.

Regarding spares, most of the spares(except cylinder kits, visors and original saree guards) are available. and it took me less than 1k to get almost everything that needed replacement, including body panels and stickers. Since most of the spares are interchangeable with other Suzuki bikes, I don't see spares as a challenge, atleast it was easier to procure than Yamaha body panels. If heart wants one go ahead

I stripped all the bits and bobs that need to be powder coated. I am thinking of giving it tomorrow after I strip the paint off the parts tonight. I will try to post some pics tonight.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 14:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy, this is the bike to have. Since college I used to like the dark side character of the bike, especially the black ones. They were a rage in Bangalore and other parts of KA, but in Kerala they were outnumbered by RX series bikes. Most of the remaining shoguns ended up at some drag club in Bangalore or Coimbatore, some were converted to dirt bikes. In the last 8-10 months I have only seen overpriced examples or samurai to shogun converts. These bikes are definitely rare and I have a chance to spot more RDs in Trivandrum than these bikes, last one I saw on the road besides mine was on Thursday.

Regarding spares, most of the spares(except cylinder kits, visors and original saree guards) are available. and it took me less than 1k to get almost everything that needed replacement, including body panels and stickers. Since most of the spares are interchangeable with other Suzuki bikes, I don't see spares as a challenge, atleast it was easier to procure than Yamaha body panels. If heart wants one go ahead

I stripped all the bits and bobs that need to be powder coated. I am thinking of giving it tomorrow after I strip the paint off the parts tonight. I will try to post some pics tonight.

Pramod
AHH! I loved that blacked out theme too. Add to that the red stickering and it made for one sinister looking machine. I use to own a samurai back in the 90's, but I was so hooked on shogun that ended up changing samurai into shogun just aesthetically. Starting with that beautiful meter console, than that rectangular light and fairing. Followed by exhaust, a non cat con one. Body panels and stickers came next. I could have never imagined upgrading the engine bits. To be honest didnot know about engines back then.

But yes, I remember Shogun to be the only bike I pulled wheelies on in 2 gear, completely unintended.

I used to search for them in OLX in Delhi, last I saw was about 6-8 month back, selling for about 14k. But now they are becoming rare and rare. I know i'll walk down that lane, just dont know when.

Kodus to your passion for 2 strokes, all your threads on Yamahas and now this, it keeps that fire alive in the rest of us too.

Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 14:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
AHH! I loved that blacked out theme too. Add to that the red stickering and it made for one sinister looking machine. I use to own a samurai back in the 90's, but I was so hooked on shogun that ended up changing samurai into shogun just aesthetically. Starting with that beautiful meter console, than that rectangular light and fairing. Followed by exhaust, a non cat con one. Body panels and stickers came next. I could have never imagined upgrading the engine bits. To be honest didnot know about engines back then.

But yes, I remember Shogun to be the only bike I pulled wheelies on in 2 gear, completely unintended.

I used to search for them in OLX in Delhi, last I saw was about 6-8 month back, selling for about 14k. But now they are becoming rare and rare. I know i'll walk down that lane, just dont know when.

Kodus to your passion for 2 strokes, all your threads on Yamahas and now this, it keeps that fire alive in the rest of us too.

Thanks
From what I have learned online, a samurai cannot be converted to a shogun engine wise. I will have to say still today you can fine reasonably priced RXZ on Olx/Qickr in Delhi but shoguns are rare. This was pulling unintended wheelies one the way home. This was not a bike which was totally neglected, I am lucky to have found her.

Thanks for noticing my other threads, looks like this passion would stay like this but I have to seriously inherit a great ancestral treasure if I need to do this, or else my friends have to keep me busy

BTW there is a Shogun standing in my office building parking. Needs a bit of TLC but the shoguns are becoming mainstream. Forgot my phone so no pics

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 15:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for noticing my other threads, looks like this passion would stay like this but I have to seriously inherit a great ancestral treasure if I need to do this, or else my friends have to keep me busy

Pramod
Its been a pleasure following those RX and RD threads.

Quote:
om what I have learned online, a samurai cannot be converted to a shogun engine wise. I will have to say still today you can fine reasonably priced RXZ on Olx/Qickr in Delhi but shoguns are rare. This was pulling unintended wheelies one the way home. This was not a bike which was totally neglected, I am lucky to have found her.

I know, did some research even, and luckily parts for RX are still available. So its most likely gonna be an RX. Rx 100 are still high on pricing though.

As for fulfilling my dream of owning a shogun, I might have to consider relocating
Old 17th June 2015, 16:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been a pleasure following those RX and RD threads.
I am humbled

Quote:
I know, did some research even, and luckily parts for RX are still available. So its most likely gonna be an RX. Rx 100 are still high on pricing though.

As for fulfilling my dream of owning a shogun, I might have to consider relocating
RX 100 is not very rare, the RX 135 5 speed is rare and expensive and the RXZ 135 5 speed is rarer.

The RXZ 4 speed is also rare, if you want something in terms of collectability and performance buy a RX 135/RXZ

If you want sheer pleasure of a 2 Stroke and you are ready to go the extra mile of fixing broken things then please pickup a shogun, you would never regret it

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks