Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 14:53   #61
BHPian

Re: My Dream of owning a Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks a lot buddy, this is the bike to have. Since college I used to like the dark side character of the bike, especially the black ones. They were a rage in Bangalore and other parts of KA, but in Kerala they were outnumbered by RX series bikes. Most of the remaining shoguns ended up at some drag club in Bangalore or Coimbatore, some were converted to dirt bikes. In the last 8-10 months I have only seen overpriced examples or samurai to shogun converts. These bikes are definitely rare and I have a chance to spot more RDs in Trivandrum than these bikes, last one I saw on the road besides mine was on Thursday.

Regarding spares, most of the spares(except cylinder kits, visors and original saree guards) are available. and it took me less than 1k to get almost everything that needed replacement, including body panels and stickers. Since most of the spares are interchangeable with other Suzuki bikes, I don't see spares as a challenge, atleast it was easier to procure than Yamaha body panels. If heart wants one go ahead

I stripped all the bits and bobs that need to be powder coated. I am thinking of giving it tomorrow after I strip the paint off the parts tonight. I will try to post some pics tonight.

Pramod
Hi,

You Sir have got me really into 2 strokes!! first the RD thread and now this!! coincidentally i came across this thread because I was looking for some info on the Shogun, I hope to pick one up in the near future.

From what I read in this thread, Shoguns are quite rare. There are a few online for sale. however, im worried if i end up buying a converted samurai. is there any way to be able to tell the difference between the two? i havent ridden either before in my life..

Thanks and Cheers!!

P.S: Any other pointers to look out for before buying are also welcome!!
Old 8th July 2015, 15:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
Hi,

You Sir have got me really into 2 strokes!! first the RD thread and now this!! coincidentally i came across this thread because I was looking for some info on the Shogun, I hope to pick one up in the near future.

From what I read in this thread, Shoguns are quite rare. There are a few online for sale. however, im worried if i end up buying a converted samurai. is there any way to be able to tell the difference between the two? i havent ridden either before in my life..

Thanks and Cheers!!

P.S: Any other pointers to look out for before buying are also welcome!!
I am glad that there are some inspired souls after me getting into resurrection

Getting a shogun is not impossible but difficult. Cosmetically the shoguns and samurai's share the same running gear, they only differ in the engine size and the silencer. The shoguns have a chamber disguised as a normal silencer. The shogun has a 114 cc 14 BHP air cooled motor, apart from the difference in the RC book the samurai would be little anaemic at higher RPM, some people have ported these to act peppy but you would understand what shoguns are and what is the fuzz all about when you ride one. I have not noticed any markings on the cylinders (yet) I will look for them today, most of these 2 strokes have their displacement inscribed on the cylinders.

I wish you luck in your lookout, let me know if you need any help.

In other news, there was a bit of idle surge issue since I started the engine, could be a vacuum leak somewhere as the 2T pump is no longer in service. I have blocked the inlet for 2t(haven't started after that). The slides looked normal, but has a lot of blow back, looks like the reed is funny. I am itching to lift the barrels now.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 20:30   #63
BHPian

It has come out really nice. its a news that panels and decals were available in the shop near my home am totally out of touch where about is this. Also when you lift the barrels make sure you have to check the manifold as far as i know its really difficult to get one else you need to do a spacer to bring it out to cover the angled intake and then use the 135 manifold.

PS: i will be reaching there on 8th for a week will catch up.
Old 9th July 2015, 14:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Pramod like your Mitsubishi Lancer(I too own a Lancer 1.5 Petrol)

Keep up the good work, maashey addipoli bikes you have!
Sorry to have missed your post in the previous page and thanks for your kind words The lancer is gonna go through a facelift soon, its been underutilized so far since there is absolutely no rains and presently I am spoiled with choices

The KB 125 is a great bike too, I have not ridden the KBs for a long time so kind of forgot how one behaves until recently, when I got my friend's bike for a few fixes, I was absolutely floored with the riding comfort of the KB 100, I get very tired when I do a ~10Km city ride in my RX or RD, highways are slightly different but KB excels here, I feel no strain while riding the KB no matter city or highway, BTW there is a scrapped KB 125 at a nearby Junk yard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
It has come out really nice. its a news that panels and decals were available in the shop near my home am totally out of touch where about is this. Also when you lift the barrels make sure you have to check the manifold as far as i know its really difficult to get one else you need to do a spacer to bring it out to cover the angled intake and then use the 135 manifold.

PS: I will be reaching there on 8th for a week will catch up.
The panels are not original but they are of superior quality, I got the tail end panel since that was broken. Its available at Thirumala near the shiva temple, he has a lot of stuff for the suzukis.

I will be careful with the manifold, there is a bit of blowback. I noticed in the carb slides and recently the idle was also surging, I want to check the condition of the reed valve. The blowback could be old as well cause it looks old.

I am available on weekends and after 7PM, give me a call and I will pop out wherever you are

Pramod
Old 9th July 2015, 15:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The KB 125 is a great bike too, I have not ridden the KBs for a long time so kind of forgot how one behaves until recently, when I got my friend's bike for a few fixes, I was absolutely floored with the riding comfort of the KB 100, I get very tired when I do a ~10Km city ride in my RX or RD, highways are slightly different but KB excels here, I feel no strain while riding the KB no matter city or highway, BTW there is a scrapped KB 125 at a nearby Junk yard .
Pramod mate your experience of riding the KB125 is similar to mine, I always had a soft corner(as it is a Kawasaki) for the KB125 then and now as it was a underdog among the Yamaha's and Suzuki's during its hey days. There used to be a lot of drag racing among the two strokers during those days and I secretly always gunned for the KB125. The rumbling of that two stroke Kawasaki 125cc engine made me go weak on my knees man. I would've loved to pick that KB125 but I already have 5 RE motorcycles and one more would make my mom kick me out of the house .
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 15:24   #66
BHPian

re: I bought a Suzuki Shogun to Restore. UPDATE: Back with me again!

Congratulations pramodkumar! Your bike looks nearly complete.

Though I am no longer a biker, seeing the snaps of your bike brings back memories of my own Shogun. My bike was also black and was brought brand new in 1994, it was an absolute hooligan when you wanted it to be one. Even got a custom-made dual headlamp set-up when I was going through one of those phases .

Have fun!
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 16:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Pramod mate your experience of riding the KB125 is similar to mine, I always had a soft corner(as it is a Kawasaki) for the KB125 then and now as it was a underdog among the Yamaha's and Suzuki's during its hey days. There used to be a lot of drag racing among the two strokers during those days and I secretly always gunned for the KB125. The rumbling of that two stroke Kawasaki 125cc engine made me go weak on my knees man. I would've loved to pick that KB125 but I already have 5 RE motorcycles and one more would make my mom kick me out of the house .
I have already started building a temporary shelter next to the dog house , on a serious note, I have never understood the logic behind 1 bike per person anyway. If you don't drink or smoke, this is an investment IMHO and not a bad habit. The KBs don't hold great value at least now, so the prices are low, you might get a restored one for a low price, only thing you have to look for is botched restoration jobs, stay clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Congratulations pramodkumar! Your bike looks nearly complete.

Though I am no longer a biker, seeing the snaps of your bike brings back memories of my own Shogun. My bike was also black and was brought brand new in 1994, it was an absolute hooligan when you wanted it to be one. Even got a custom-made dual headlamp set-up when I was going through one of those phases .

Have fun!
Nostalgia is the main ingredient in most of these restorations. Glad that I was able to bring some in you

In other news: I am not someone who believes in replacing stuff but I would rather repair stuff. My whole evening was spent yesterday to fix the faulty meter cable which had a powdered socket and splicing the wires was the last thing I wanted to do, I got a 9 pin Male socket from the old wiring loom, removed all the connecting male pins and carefully cleaned the old contact points and fixed them in the new connector, Connected the new cable to the bike and everything lit up I need to fix the brake switches and the engine on off switch.

One thing I love about Suzuki bikes is the way the wiring loom works, its simpler than the RX wiring loom, more professionally engineered(running for cover) less number of bullet connectors.

Pramod
Old 10th July 2015, 10:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

The idle surge is not yet fixed, I had a RD group mini meet yesterday. Rode a members RD done by team carbon, I was blown away. The bike accelerates like an RX, its pure bliss. Shifts at 7-8K RPM, screams at that RPM. I will start working on the RD this weekend, change the CDI to RDD CDI. That's why people say "don't ride other people's bikes" It messes with your Mind"

The idle surge could be attributed to the slide. Today I am going to open the carb if the slide does not fix the issue. Its getting frustrating. In other news, all electricals are fixed now, everything works on it now. Need to fix the oil pump as well. Looks like my work is cut out for me

Pramod
Old 11th July 2015, 15:55   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The trio of late 90s...remember how the Samurai, Shogun & the Shaolin's were heroes in colleges in Kerala. I was a big fan of Shogun; for the name & the styling. I loved the rectangular headlight/indicators & hated round headlights.

Never knew what's the specs nor capabilities; but still had a huge crush on this.

Remember this or the Shaolin came with a 5 speed gear box, one of the early adopters of this. Could someone confirm?

Thanks Pramod for reviving sweet memories. That's a great job done. Hope to see some more beautiful pics of this.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th July 2015 at 15:56.
Old 11th July 2015, 22:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The trio of late 90s...remember how the Samurai, Shogun & the Shaolin's were heroes in colleges in Kerala. I was a big fan of Shogun; for the name & the styling. I loved the rectangular headlight/indicators & hated round headlights.

Never knew what's the specs nor capabilities; but still had a huge crush on this.

Remember this or the Shaolin came with a 5 speed gear box, one of the early adopters of this. Could someone confirm?

Thanks Pramod for reviving sweet memories. That's a great job done. Hope to see some more beautiful pics of this.
The Shaolin had a 5 speed, shogun was 4 speed.

Every college had 2 types of kids, the geek and the hep kid, the geeks loved the KBs for what it offered and its lineage. The hep kids loved the yamahas, they were cool kids, popular among girls, they owned various rxs, then there was the third type of kid, who was alone, aloof, parents used to warn their kids to stay away from this kid. He owned a shogun.

The shogun is complete now, the idle surge issue is resolved. Need to change the tachometer, which is on the way. Will do a photo shoot soon

Pramod
Old 14th July 2015, 09:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

I took a test ride yesterday and it was not going beyond 80, it was fluttering big time, I up jetted it to 145 from the RD, the bike is a mad bike now. The way it goes to 80 is crazy and it still has steam to go beyond, I don't

Mechanically the bike is done and done, Need to adjust the panel gap and also paint the rest of the bike.

New tyres are also waiting for it.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 12:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

The bike received some gifts from Kashmir this week from a dear friend, He sent me a Speedo console for the Tacho, unfortunately the tacho was broken. I will give mine for service this week.

The carburettor hose an impossible little spare to procure. I have gone to many places in the city and I cannot find it. Can anyone from Bangalore help me

Pramod
Old 28th July 2015, 16:43   #73
BHPian

Restoring a shogun after the RD wow !
This definitely demands a visit to your garage. Its surely a 2 stroke lovers paradise.
We used to have crazy rides on my friends shogun during college days.
Old 28th July 2015, 17:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Restoring a shogun after the RD wow !
This definitely demands a visit to your garage. Its surely a 2 stroke lovers paradise.
We used to have crazy rides on my friends shogun during college days.
You are most welcome, please call before dropping in

To update the thread, the bike is with the painter for fixing panel gaps and to re spray the visor and other chassis parts, there is a slight leak from the fork, will have to change that once the bike is back.

The new tachometer needs to be fixed, its not working, A very kind soul sent it from Kashmir.

I have taken another project now, since I am free. I am building a bike ground up for a colleague, its a 135 4 speed. I will start a new thread. This thread will be kept updated

Pramod
Old 28th July 2015, 19:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:

I have taken another project now, since I am free. I am building a bike ground up for a colleague, its a 135 4 speed. I will start a new thread. This thread will be kept updated

Pramod
Hello pramod

I am also working on my 15 year old Rx-135 4Speed. I have completely changed my crankshaft assembly and cylinder piston kit. My bore is 3KA20 while rest of things are stock 4speed. I recently changed my sprockets to 5speed and difference is significant. With old sprocket it never go beyond 75 kmph but after switching to 5s setup it has clocked 112 KMPH with my genuine weight of 107 KG.

I have one question.

How can i convert my 4 Speed to 5 speed and what are the parts needed for up graduation ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks