Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Hi all,

I own an Enfield Thunderbird AVL 2007 model. I have oil cooled my bike and am now further looking to replace the existing BS26 carburetor with a BS29 one. I know that mileage will drop down by 8 to 10 units. Can anyone guide if what I am thinking is practically possible? What are the pros and cons? And where can I get a BS29 one?

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 12:15. Reason: Language
pathik810 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th June 2015, 18:27   #2
BHPian

re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Hi,

Have a friend of mine who recently got this done for his bullet classic 350. I believe he went for a 32mm carb. Surprisingly the mileage got better along with an insane increase in the pickup. He has been using it for the past 7000-8000Kms.

Make sure though that the air filter is equally capable. In some case, a free flow filter like K&N is recommended. Would be able to guide you to the right mechanic here in Bangalore. But I am sure, any reputed bullet mechanic can help.
ilbkrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 19:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik810 View Post
I have oil cooled my bike
Hi, do you mean you fit an oil radiator?

Or, is it a (water) coolant cooled engine? If so, could you please share on how you have converted an air cooled engine to a water cooled one.

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 12:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 17th June 2015, 20:22   #4
BHPian

Hi,

I haven't water cooled it. So there's no coolant and water system stuff circulating around the engine. I have just added a 7 pass parallel flow radiator with the AVL oil pipe with 2 fans behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbkrishna View Post
Hi,

Have a friend of mine who recently got this done for his bullet classic 350. I believe he went for a 32mm carb. Surprisingly the mileage got better along with an insane increase in the pickup. He has been using it for the past 7000-8000Kms.

Make sure though that the air filter is equally capable. In some case, a free flow filter like K&N is recommended. Would be able to guide you to the right mechanic here in Bangalore. But I am sure, any reputed bullet mechanic can help.
Hey, Thanks. Never thought of 32 mm carb. Can think for it definitely. However, the mileage being increased is really surprising. I have no idea from where do I get these carburetors. I am really looking forward to upgrade my Thunderbird's performance. If you could just give me some contact details or something, it would really be helpful.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 12:17. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 17th June 2015, 20:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
And where can a get a BS29 one?
Try and source it from Bajaj service centre. Pulsar 200 dtsi 2007 model has BS29. Pulsar 220 has BS32. These are the same carbs used in bullets but sold by Bajaj at a very economical price
Mashblue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi, do you mean you fit an oil radiator?

Or, is it a (water) coolant cooled engine? If so, could you please share on how you have converted an air cooled engine to a water cooled one.

Thanks.
Hi,

I have Oil cooled it, and not Water cooled. So theres no system in which water and coolant is circulating around the engine.
I have installed a 7 pass parallel flow radiator to the AVL oil pipe. So basically the oil passes through the radiator on its way from the sump to the engine.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 12:18. Reason: Language
Old 18th June 2015, 11:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am sure not much will gained out of it.
What will a larger carb do? Meter in more fuel.
But if the engine is not capable of burning this extra fuel efficiently and generating power, you will only end up with dark spark plugs.

I am not discouraging you though.
Also can you please post up the pictures of your engine?
Old 18th June 2015, 11:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
But if the engine is not capable of burning this extra fuel efficiently and generating power, you will only end up with dark spark plugs.

I think the AVL is already running lean. A bigger carb but well tuned with proper jets should increase the performance.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 12:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hread-248.html

Kindly go through the above thread - you will get some ideas about up-sizing the carb. Hope that helps.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have Oil cooled it, and not Water cooled. So theres no system in which water and coolant is circulating around the engine.
I have installed a 7 pass parallel flow radiator to the AVL oil pipe. So basically the oil passes through the radiator on its way from the sump to the engine.
Can you please share some more detail info on this, may be some pictures and can you share from where did you source 7 pass parallel flow radiator.
Old 18th June 2015, 13:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the information!
As per my knowledge, a bigger carburetor will not only inject more fuel but it would also let engine breath more air simultaneously for burning more fuel right? So hopefully it shall work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
Can you please share some more detail info on this, may be some pictures and can you share from where did you source 7 pass parallel flow radiator.
Pranav Vikas Private Limited is the company from where I bought the oil cooler.
Check the below link for the details

http://www.pranavvikas.com/oil-coolers.html
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?-oil-cooled.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information!
As per my knowledge, a bigger carburetor will not only inject more fuel but it would also let engine breath more air simultaneously for burning more fuel right? So hopefully it shall work!
I actually wanted to see the oil cooler in the pic
Old 18th June 2015, 15:08   #13

Quote:
now further looking to replace the existing BS26 carburetor with a BS29 one. I know that mileage will drop down by 8 to 10 units. Can anyone guide if what I am thinking is practically possible? What are the pros and cons? And where can I get a BS29 one?
Hi,
This is quite possible, I had done it on my 2006 AVL TBird long time back (around 2007) and it ran happily with BS29. As others here have suggested you could also consider getting a BS32/UCD33, best place to source a new carb would be Bajaj authorized centers. BS29 can be used from Pulsar 200 and BS32/UCD33 from Pulsar 220NS can be used for conversion.

The default jetting on the Bajaj carbs may need to be altered as per your bullet setup, the pilot and main jets may need upjetting and the carb would require tuning post fitment.

All the best with the tinkering!
kamdrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 21:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I actually wanted to see the oil cooler in the pic
Here is the picture. I Did it 2 years back as a college project!
Working good till date!
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?-oil-cooled-2.jpg  

pathik810 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 17:34   #15
BHPian

Hello everyone ,

So far, I have gained a lot of knowledge regarding the up-gradation from this forum and there after youtube as well! Today i have successfully taken the carburetor of my bike and totally dismantled it for cleaning purpose.

Probably I am going for the BS32 carb from Pulsar 220. BUT there are certain queries as below regarding the same. Need help!

- The BS26 carb (stock AVL carb) has a 26 mm inner diameter and the intake manifold of my bike also has a 26 mm inner diameter. If i install the 32 mm carb, then the intake manifold will still have a 26 mm diameter. So will it make any difference in performance? Will I be able to mount it successfully?

- Second thing is, as may of you have said, BS32 will require up jetting. What exactly does it mean? Do i need to install jets with bigger diameter or do i need to drill hole in the stock ones? If i need to install bigger jets then where will i get those from?

Looking forward to finish this project as early as possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?-img_43031.jpeg  

Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?-img_4311.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks