Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 11:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Yes. I am guessing around 3 years between the two.
But I feel Aniket's is a clean and factory like end product compared to the Carberry. The Carberry actually looks like a garage job.

I think the bike in the picture above would have been procured by RE for R&D years ago.
The Carberry looks more old school Brit if you know what I mean. Aniket's has the unmistakeable American V-twin DNA in there somewhere.

Nothing wrong in that per se. I just prefer Brit.

What's important to note is that they both went with the CI upper ends, though Carberry has the 5-speeder box from the LB. Also, Aniket continues with the single down tube, while Carberry has a double cradle, as the frame solution.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th July 2015 at 11:47.
Old 9th July 2015, 15:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Carberry looks more old school Brit if you know what I mean. Aniket's has the unmistakeable American V-twin DNA in there somewhere.
I read somewhere that the Carberry was infact two whole single cylinder RE engines simply joined together in a V form. Not sure of this though.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th July 2015 at 23:52. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 16:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

This twin seems to be all over the news now, at least on the social networks.

And for good reason too - what a fantastic job! Enfield India should hang their heads in shame - they've been "working on" a twin for a few years now, and this man has accomplished what they couldn't by working on it at home in his spare time.

I am generally not favourably disposed towards Bullets, but this one I would buy!!! Have already tried to establish contact with the chap to see if he can make more engines like this one.
Old 9th July 2015, 16:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

t in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Have already tried to establish contact with the chap to see if he can make more engines like this one.
That's what he wants/plans to do. If you do make contact, do let us know what he says in terms of how much it would cost.

Obviously it would cost a ton to do it in the US and it would be a lot cheaper doing it in India. Both in terms of getting the OE bits needed as well as the actual metal casting and machining and fabrication work.

The flip side is, regardless of contracts, once the dies and molds and drawings have been shared with others, I give it tops 6 months before you have Delhi copies flooding the market.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I give it tops 6 months before you have Delhi copies flooding the market.
If there was a significant demand for V twin based REs, Delhi copies would have 'flooded the market' long ago.

Which brings me to the other point addressing the RE / Sid Lal bashers on this thread. IMO, the real reason we haven't seen a V twin from RE over the years is that there wasn't a big enough domestic market for it at the typical RE price point - no manufacturer would want to pump millions of R&D dollars into a fringe product for a handful of retro bikes enthusiasts.

There is already enough anecdotal evidence for it from last year - the RE Continental GT. While it got a great reception internationally, and there is no doubt that it is the best engineered & designed product from the RE stable till date, yet it failed to sell in as many numbers as it's closest competitor - the HD Street 750 despite its significantly lower price bracket.

I think RE is on the right track with it's new single cylinder Himalayan product offering in the pipe line, at least as far as the domestic market is concerned as of now.

This Autocar article has more details for the number crunchers and this quote from an 'unnamed expert' aptly sums up what I've tried to convey in this post:

Quote:
"While both are extremely popular models in the midsized motorcycle segment, Harley-Davidson clearly has a much powerful brand pull as compared to Royal Enfield as far as the domestic market is concerned. This also highlights a mindset of the young urban Indians who do not want to spend beyond a point on an Indian motorcycle brand unless they are opting for individual customisation on an RE platform. Further, Harley-Davidson bikes surely have an upper hand when it comes to technology, performance, and aspirational values for the brand."
Old 9th July 2015, 21:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
there is no doubt that it is the best engineered & designed product from the RE stable till date
Obviously not good enough. I rode an early model more than a year ago, and it was, for want of a better term, overwhelmingly underwhelming.

Overall looks aren't enough - the vehicle clearly has no GO to go with the very superficial SHOW.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 22:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I rode an early model more than a year ago, and it was, for want of a better term, overwhelmingly underwhelming.
Ouch! Which areas specifically did you find it overwhelmingly underwhelming and which RE model do you consider as better than the CGT?
Old 9th July 2015, 23:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
t in

That's what he wants/plans to do. If you do make contact, do let us know what he says in terms of how much it would cost.
Here is a link to his Order page. Prices are in the range from 6k-13k. Do have a look at the link http://www.musketvtwin.com/order.html

Well said Steeroid!!

Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 00:23   #24
BHPian

Good that Aniket has been featured on Jay Lenos show, some much needed publicity especially here in India.

Been following his builds for a few years now, hearing that motor fire up gave me the goosebumps. He's friends with "chumma" at ace who supply some high performance parts as optional acsessories for this motor.

Max Hazan of Hazan Motorworks, an incredibly talented custom building is using the musket motor in his latest build. Do check it out, there's a lotta beautiful metal work involved.

I'd love for this motor to be made available in India, However I think the fast and furious movies will reach a considerable number of one last rides before that ever happens.

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 08:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

GT is a fine effort from RE, but let down on the fact, that it has no power to match its cafe racer credentials. If the bike had at least 40 odd ponies, could hit the ton easily, it may have found more success as a product. Nevertheless, I am waiting for the day, when Harley or someone else releases a 500 cc product, at RE prices, I believe that's when Sid Lal and team will be forced to wake up, and go the multi cylinder way. Right now,they are sitting pretty on a plush revenue stream...
Old 10th July 2015, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there was a significant demand for V twin based REs, Delhi copies would have 'flooded the market' long ago.
Our copiers, as good as they are, need something physical, or at least clear drawings and dimensions, for them to copy.

Which is how there are at least 3 small scale manufacturers I know off who churn out copies of the original Italian std 500 pistons in small shed type factories around Delhi.

Which is how the Goldstar exhaust boom happened.

Which is how the Reverse cone Megaphone boom currently happening happened (ask me how I know - on PM).

Which is how Hitchcock's cams made in Gujarat are being copied from Mumbai to Delhi.

Give them an Aniket V twin and in 6 month's you will see "customization" experts mushroom across the country, with different spins on essentially the same design, being sold as "originals" or "dyno tested" or "fully designed on CAD/CAM". Trust me on this.

There is a whole industry of nalla parts for the RD 350 which never sold close to as many bikes as Bullets across the country. Rip offs of Taiwan after market originals.

P.S. The "best engineered" Con GT still gets taken by a 2002 Std 500 on a hill climb. Where is this improvement I keep hearing about? Maybe someday someone is going to finally show it to me.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th July 2015 at 11:16.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 11:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing the first build done by Aniket on youtube during 2008-2009. It was the brand new v-twin engine that he had built using two Royal Enfield Bullet Cast Iron 350cc engines to make a 700cc v-twin motor. The sound of that motor was awesome and very different from the classic American V twins. As a matter of fact RE England did manufacture v-twin motorcycles as back as 1910. One line that caught my attention, "V-Twins are as Royal Enfield as apple pie." I can say that a v-twin engine is as dear to Royal Enfield as it is to Harley Davidson.

I was going through a blog (http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.ae/2...ld-should.html) where I found a v-twin Royal Enfield which has an eerie resemblence to Aniket's v-twin Musket. As mentioned in the previous posts back home we have another v-twin, built by Dean Fernandes and Anand Bhalerao using two AVL LB 350cc motors. As far as I know there was another v-twin built using cast iron engines by a company named Norcroft(based in the UK), this was a brainchild of Bill Hurr and Richard Hurst in the UK. Norcroft's Enfield v-twin 1000cc motorcycle belts out about 60 BHP and has twin spark electronic ignition. I personally like the Norcroft v-twin . and here are some links about the Norcroft v-twin Enfield.
http://www.norcroft.co.uk/norcroft4_003.htm
http://weroyalriders.com/norcroft-ro...in-india/1031/
http://thekneeslider.com/norcroft-ro...t-lives-again/
Youtube Video Link:

Nevertheless kudos to Aniket on building the musket v-twin 700cc and 1000cc single handedly. He has immense talent and it shows in his work. I am glad that he has got his due recognition. Some sceptics I came across said this project won't take off as no one knows or will buy a v-twin engine built out of two Royal Enfield engines. Now we see Jay Leno one of the most revered auto enthusiasts riding this motorcycle and amazed by its sound and engine dynamics. I believe our IIT's should invite Mr. Aniket Vardhan to share his tryst and showcase his talent which will inspire our country's hidden and supressed talent.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 11:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Here is a link to his Order page. Prices are in the range from 6k-13k. Do have a look at the link http://www.musketvtwin.com/order.html

Well said Steeroid!!

Maddy
Thanks Maddy.

So the crankcase would work out to something like close to 4 lacs. This I think is just his price. Does not include freight and customs for us here in India.

Add to that the cost of OE RE parts. And labor.

Or let him do the whole thing (your donor 500) and then that works out close to 9 lacs. Again without shipping (don't know if there would be customs involved on a used bike going back and forth with new parts).

This brings home quite starkly what we as a nation lose from the proverbial brain drain.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th July 2015 at 11:31.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which areas specifically did you find it overwhelmingly underwhelming
Umm..the two wheels, and pretty much everything in between?

Quote:
and which RE model do you consider as better than the CGT?
None. But as I said, that's hardly a benchmark. Gone are the days when it was one of 3 bikes available in India.

Quote:
So the crankcase would work out to something like close to 4 lacs.
Or let him do the whole thing (your donor 500) and then that works out close to 9 lacs.
Don't expect mass production pricing for custom-built one-offs. You will be one of the few that are paying for the project.

It would be good for a show bike build with a custom built engine, not a practical buy for daily use.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th July 2015 at 13:22.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm..the two wheels, and pretty much everything in between?
Actually, as wheels go, and how they're sprung and anchored, by Bullet standards they are pretty good.

What's in between is where its as underwhelming as its other engine mates are.

And I do personally consider the Machismo LB 500 to be the best 500 Royal Enfield overall. The Lightning 535 the big mama. The standard 500 the sweetest and most truly Brit of them all.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th July 2015 at 14:23.

Most Viewed