Team-BHP - Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/166016-restoration-my-86-bajaj-chetak-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnS_12 (Post 3755025)

What color shade is this? Am repainting my Chetak and looking for colors catalog of 1997 to choose from

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShankarG (Post 3767056)
Great job ACMohan. Made me nostalgic. I remember as a kid my dad used to hand over the accelerator side handle to me to rotate and it used to give me goosebumps turning that and seeing how the speed increased. The typical electronic buzzer type noise of the horn was another fun factor involved. That was music to ears that time till LML came with its "Keep" sound type horns.
I also remember that using the front brake was very risky as it didn't provide adequate control. hope you have taken care in your restored beauty. Just a silly thought, if you are contemplating changing tyre, try some engineering to add disc brakes stupid:
anyway great effort. keep up with the update on your ride with your father and his share of expression. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkykar (Post 4499101)
What color shade is this? Am repainting my Chetak and looking for colors catalog of 1997 to choose from

Its titanium. My RD 125 was painted in the similar shade and hence my Dad chose this colour.

Thanks for the lightening reply. Which brand paint is this? How do i zero in and find this exact shade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkykar (Post 4499121)
Thanks for the lightening reply. Which brand paint is this? How do i zero in and find this exact shade.

The local paint shop did the job of preparing the paint and matched the shade I already had on the RD, which was painted at a friend’s worshop a few years prior.

That's indeed a special build and the end product looks as good as new.
I've been trying to start a restoration of my dad's 1989 Chetak, but need leads on good mechanics/restorers in Chennai. Any help??please:

My uncle too has an '89 Bajaj Chetak in immaculate condition. It's now living a retired life as he uses my cousin's '15 Activa more. Still, it's used for approximately 2kms daily. He's currently trying to source two parts:
a. The glass for the speedometer console
b. The brake lamp

Attaching a couple of photos:

Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak-img_20190519_135826462.jpg
Look Ma, no turn indicators or RVMs!

Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak-img_20190519_135842487.jpg

Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak-img_20190519_135853645.jpg

You can tell your uncle to try sourcing spares from Safexbikes.com or a facebook page Vintage Spares parts online. Both these items would be available on these sites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACMohan (Post 3754821)
Here's another shot of the two tone paintjob.
Attachment 1392729

Nice Pic, any editing app for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 (Post 4599582)
Nice Pic, any editing app for this.

Thank you Naveen. I don't actually remember which app I used at that time. I guess it's Photoshop. Any apps/software with HSL adjustment will do the trick.

The 86 Chetak is an export model. During those years the Chetak commanded a waiting period of 2-3 years. One way to get your hands on a scooter was to order through an NRI by paying foreign exchange. The advantage is that you get the scooter faster and also get the superior export version.
Note the ignition key and high beam indicator on the scooter handle above the speedo.
Also the model gets indicators much before the local versions did(only in the 90s I guess) that too nice looking round indicators. The ones on the handle bring are well preserved. The ones in the rear has given away to a modern replacement.

My family has the same model scooter since 34 years and now I am really inspired to get it back running as she has been ignored for almost a decade. Restoration of my '86 Bajaj Chetak-img20190829wa0004.jpeg

In its life cycle the sky blue scooter was taken in for repairs twice first in 95 it was repainted to mettalic red and updated to the classic model indicators and further in 2007 the scooter was repainted to the current colour. Was used until 2009~10.