Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

From my recent experience of buying a Duke 200 I had a great opportunity to try out bikes for test rides before zeroing down to D200.

CBR - Great bike, smooth (as per my test drive) and reliable engine as per the experiences shared by friends and BHPians here. No deal breaker as such. Personally I didn't like the docile looks. It looks too tamed for a 250cc bike.

Duke 390 - A very powerful bike and for me upgrading from a 150, felt a bit too much power for everyday use. Surely a hoot to drive on highways. If highway cruising is done regularly then D390 it should be.

D200 - I zeroed this down basically because it felt superior to D390 in terms of city handling and for me, cruising all day at 100 on highways is good enough so D200 made more sense for me.

N300 - I didn't try this out due to the price factor.

TNT300 - Personally I felt it is very similar to Duke 200/390. Not sure about other aspects as I didn't test drive. I hope SVCs are also as good.

RE TB/Classic - Didn't consider them as I wanted a technologically superior bike and I have ridden some of my friends' 350 and TB as well. They didn't feel very comfortable going above 80kmph. The vibrations were also a bit too much, probably I felt like that coz I was used to a unicorn, which is super smooth. No offense to current owners.

While I personally would suggest a D390 for you, I must also share that you will have to build a rapport with the servicing folks for just that extra care. My first servicing felt like they just did the basics and didn't test-ride the bike after the servicing. My adhoc visit to another KTM SVC for a couple of minor irritants was a pleasant one where they did more that what I asked for. Like someone rightly pointed it out, I have heard of some replacements being done without any hassles. So I guess that's kind of a mixed bag. All the best for whatever you are going to choose.
saleem_k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 00:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Not a single gurgaon dealer has even heard about the relaunched 250R. Total idiots. Will wait another week for someone to atleast provide me a test ride before I buy.
Old 17th August 2015, 06:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Not a single gurgaon dealer has even heard about the relaunched 250R. Total idiots. Will wait another week for someone to atleast provide me a test ride before I buy.
Try the dealer on Sohna Road. Can't remember the name though. You'll have to call ahead of time.

Thing is, they're not getting the 250R at all, because they all think it's getting discontinued. Not to mention that the sales were dwindling like mad.
Shanenanigans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 07:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Looks are purely subjective, but I would look for the current sticker-less bikes. They look much much better compared to the new ones. Just my opinion.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 20:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Looks are purely subjective, but I would look for the current sticker-less bikes. They look much much better compared to the new ones. Just my opinion.
Unfortunately those aren't available. at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
Try the dealer on Sohna Road. Can't remember the name though. You'll have to call ahead of time.

Thing is, they're not getting the 250R at all, because they all think it's getting discontinued. Not to mention that the sales were dwindling like mad.
Interesting. I live close to Big Swing Honda on sohna road. they're the most soul killing dealer I've come across, suitable only to service activas :(

This is becoming an interminable wait.
Old 17th August 2015, 21:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

I just came in here to see what bike is Tao riding after all these years

My two chips :

- The CBR while its excellent for what it gives, I think Honda just launched the 'refresh' version to clear out stocks before it brings in either of the all new 300 or 250. Both of which are marked improvements over the current CBR. Although this would probably not work for your time window because I think the new CBR's would only be coming in 2016.

- If you can overlook the Bajaj'esque quality (and itsy bitsy niggles) of the KTM's, they make a great bike to tour on. Though your pillion use case ain't gonna work here. Also I don't know how old the RiderZone article is, Bajaj being Bajaj continuously improves the products. The newer 390's have a much lighter clutch and heat up a lot lesser than earlier. If you intend to do more of B roads, then the 200 is a better bet because of its range.
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 22:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately those aren't available. at all.

Interesting. I live close to Big Swing Honda on sohna road. they're the most soul killing dealer I've come across, suitable only to service activas :(

This is becoming an interminable wait.
Yeah they're terrible, and when I went to check out the CBR, they only had the 150, which I thought was going to kill my ankle, which was already sprained at the time. But they said they'd have a 250 in a few weeks. This was at the end of June. No mention of discontinuation of the bike at the time either.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I just came in here to see what bike is Tao riding after all these years

My two chips :

- The CBR while its excellent for what it gives, I think Honda just launched the 'refresh' version to clear out stocks before it brings in either of the all new 300 or 250. Both of which are marked improvements over the current CBR. Although this would probably not work for your time window because I think the new CBR's would only be coming in 2016.

- If you can overlook the Bajaj'esque quality (and itsy bitsy niggles) of the KTM's, they make a great bike to tour on. Though your pillion use case ain't gonna work here. Also I don't know how old the RiderZone article is, Bajaj being Bajaj continuously improves the products. The newer 390's have a much lighter clutch and heat up a lot lesser than earlier. If you intend to do more of B roads, then the 200 is a better bet because of its range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
Yeah they're terrible, and when I went to check out the CBR, they only had the 150, which I thought was going to kill my ankle, which was already sprained at the time. But they said they'd have a 250 in a few weeks. This was at the end of June. No mention of discontinuation of the bike at the time either.
Sorry for a completely side tracked question (what to do, CBR250 isnt available yet here). Is there a super-scooter?

My everyday use case (after which I'll eliminate my car usage majorly) is to pick up my son from the day care and ride ~2km back home through lunar crater roads teeming with berserk Gurgaon drivers.

He's an uber naughty 4 year old - I am not completely sure whether he may sit nicely on the bike even for 2km (he can literally fall off - he's totally capable of it). I can buy the CBR + an activa money wise but will be a big headache to keep around because of limited parking.

This one worry keeps popping into my head. If he was ~7-8 years old, I would not worry. At his current half-ignorant half-superman age I'm not sure of the best way forward.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for a completely side tracked question (what to do, CBR250 isnt available yet here). Is there a super-scooter?
We are still a few years away from getting those uber sexy European 250+cc scooters.

AFAIK, the Honda PCX150/Hero Zir 150 is the biggest upcoming scooter so far.

There are rumors that Mahindra might be getting in the downsized version of the Peugeot Metropolis which is 400cc in EU. But again, this is still some time away.

And I agree, for your use case a scoot makes more sense considering your son's age.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 18:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:

My everyday use case (after which I'll eliminate my car usage majorly) is to pick up my son from the day care and ride ~2km back home through lunar crater roads teeming with berserk Gurgaon drivers.

He's an uber naughty 4 year old - I am not completely sure whether he may sit nicely on the bike even for 2km (he can literally fall off - he's totally capable of it). I can buy the CBR + an activa money wise but will be a big headache to keep around because of limited parking.

This one worry keeps popping into my head. If he was ~7-8 years old, I would not worry. At his current half-ignorant half-superman age I'm not sure of the best way forward.
...Or you could make him sit on the front of the motorcycle and do the superman instead!

Just joking. You'd know him better.
Old 28th August 2015, 20:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to a car with a child seat.
Do you even have to think about it.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 10:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Stick to a car with a child seat.
Do you even have to think about it.
Actually I disagree. As a long term biker, I am certain I am absolutely going to be fine on the bike. The problem is safely seating the monkey - he will be sleepy some day, inattentive / distracted / playing 99.99% of the time and can literally fall off, esp in the event I need to take sudden evasive action.

I just realized I have found the solution!

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/chil...?list=92990803

Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?-bikeseat.jpg

Hallelujah. THIS is what I need:
  1. Child Seat
  2. Child helmet - given the low distance (2km), low speeds - I will make do with a good bicycling helmet initially.
  3. Side box to carry his helmet and his school bag / my laptop.
Then I am free to ride my bike to office except when its raining! Now the real problem of sourcing #1 .. any references for Indian vendors?

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th August 2015 at 10:08.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 14:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
any references for Indian vendors?
Just head over to khajanchi @ karol bagh. He should be able to make one for you rather easily. Customize the shape size per your need
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 16:31   #59
BHPian

I own a continental GT and an old 1962 Bullet. From what I read of you, you may NOT want to get them. These are not rationally better bikes than the ones out there in market today in comparable prices. I suggest you do take rest ride of all three, CGT, Classic, and Thunderbird 500 just so you know you've test rode them. RE vehicles, each different and in their own way give an experience that is more emotional. They have something that cannot be well described in words. They fit in all that you had originally mentioned as criteria. But they are not into your main requirement of maintenance free, even if several riders had taken them to the most rigorous elevations of the Himalayas. They constantly demand maintenance and expect riders to take care of them! Too demanding 😒

Duke 390 is an excellent vehicle and should be trouble free. But the engine heating issue particularly in Indian climate can be a severe one. Honda should well fit into the maintenance free area and height factor as well. Excellent power and a host of modern and convenience features. Easy to ride as well. I test rode it before I decided on the Continental. That leaves your best bet to be the Honda. I never test rode though.

For me of course, despite my short height of 5'4", and both my old 1962 Bullet and Continental being tall, nothing fits the bill as an RE 😁. But that's just me.
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I disagree. As a long term biker, I am certain I am absolutely going to be fine on the bike.
You are really serious! I thought you were conducting some sort of 'social experiment' on this site.

Anyway, I stick by my view. Your competence on a bike was never the question.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed