Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:40   #91

Choice of New 200-400 cc bike as replacement for pulsar 220f

Hi guys ,

Background : As the title says I am a proud owner of Bajaj pulsar 220f and have been using it from the past 4 and half years. The bike runs great and gives out satisfactory mileage.

Need : I'm looking for a new bike because , I have been using my ride from the past 5 years and want to move on to a higher engine capacity bike with higher torque and Rev ranges .

Requirements:
Engine capacity - 250 to 400
Monthly usage - 1000 to 1500 kms (with occasional long rides)
Budget - less than 2.2 lakhs
Fuel economy - not very particular (some where around 20 would do)
New/used - new bike
Sound: must sound great and must grab attention
Reliability: must work great even in long run (long run as in for 4 years or more)
- hassle free ownership experience

Bikes considered:
1. Benelli tnt 25
2. KTM Duke 390
3. Yamaha r25
4. CBR 300r

Views:
1. Benelli tnt 25-- Based on several opinions I heard the performance is not up to the mark in benelli tnt 25 n they say it is not worth the price tag they claim. As far as I know I have test driven it
Pros: find it pretty smooth ,the power delivery is very linear , hands pretty good
Cons: vibrations and doesn't take up the big bumps ,pot holes easily, higher rev range lacks a bit of punch
2. Duke 390--I just love the way it feels,sounds ,rides
Pros: punchy engine, best in class handling, power to weight ratio, mad engine( I just love it)
Cons: seat not very comfortable for long and continuous city rides, low fuel tank capacity
But I guess the cons can be overlooked in KTM
3. The other two I have selected based on the specs and siblings from their respective brands

Present scenario: at present I'm confused on which bike to choose from request you all to help me out in selecting the better one .
Thank on advance
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:57   #92
BHPian

Re: Choice of New 200-400 cc bike as replacement for pulsar 220f

I'll suggest you to also take a test ride of Honda CBR 300. It has got a good chassis, around ~30 BHP of power and the seating position is not too committed which be beneficial for touring.

KTM will certainly not be good for long rides as the seating position is too committed and that'll lead to uncomfortable posture and can lead to other problems as well.

You didn't shortlist any bike from Royal Enfield, any particular reason or you are not interested in cruisers?
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:07   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
I'll suggest you to also take a test ride of Honda CBR 300. It has got a good chassis, around ~30 BHP of power and the seating position is not too committed which be beneficial for touring.
Has Honda launched the CBR300 in India?? Have not heard of it anywhere so far. If it has been launched then it is a good contender.

To the original poster: Since you have already owned a P220, and want a higher capacity machine, out of the current crop, the yamaha R3 (not R25 as mentioned in your list) is a good deal. But it costs almost 2L more than the budget you have set aside (3.85L on-road in Blore). It has everything that you desire in your upgrade. Else the next best bet is a D390 which falls within your budget but you will be getting a whole new line up in 2017 so it is better to not go for it now as we are almost in the middle of 2016.

If your current bike is not giving you any trouble and you dont mind waiting for a few more months, then it would be good as there are a few imminent launches like the BMW G310, Bajaj CS400, New line up from KTM, maybe the Honda CBR300 etc. So you will be better placed to make your upgrade choice. In the meantime, build up a little more savings to be able to afford a slightly costlier bike if you happen to like one.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Has Honda launched the CBR300 in India?? Have not heard of it anywhere so far. If it has been launched then it is a good contender.
I read somewhere that CBR300 is expected to be launched in first half of 2016. I am not sure and as he mentioned himself that CBR300 was in his list, I thought that it may have been launched. If not launched then apologies. On a separate note CBR250 can also be a good alternative.

Your second statement holds true as there are some bikes which are expected to be launched in the near future which will broaden the scope. I'll also add HX250R in the list.
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

What about the "to be launched" CS400 from Bajaj... it should get the 75 cc engine that is on the KTM 390 Duke/RC 390.

The CS was lately seen being tested on roads

Old 2nd May 2016, 18:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Honda CBR300 is a long awaited bike, so don't keep any faith on it getting launched here.

I think Duke 390 (normal or RC depending on how flexible you are ) suits your purpose fine. Since you have good experience of Bajaj, Duke would suit your needs perfectly.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
What about the "to be launched" CS400 from Bajaj... it should get the 75 cc engine that is on the KTM 390 Duke/RC 390.
375cc you meant?

To OP:
Why don't you try out the Mojo as well? There is nothing wrong in taking a test ride and its free anyway
Go for a spin and let us know your thoughts.
Old 8th May 2016, 08:51   #98

Thanks all for your comments
As per your suggestions, I will test drive the mojo and about CBR I'm eager as the specs seem good but according to few reviews that I have seen they say it lacks a bit on power when compared to KTM duke rc 390 and Yamaha r3
I dint take into consideration Royal Enfield bikes because I am not much into cruisers , I like more track oriented and sporty bikes which can be used on a daily basis for commute as well .
According what abhinav.s has suggested I think it is better that I wait for a while save up more money and get a better bike
What about Kawasaki 250sl?? May be if I would extend my budget it seems a better choice also benelli tnt300 I test rode this the other day and found it very good. The exhaust note was especially super. Should I consider it because I test drove it in the city I do not know it's high end (red line) capacity as far as I know from my experience it is smooth,loud n feels good to ride
Probably i will go test ride few other bikes and let you all know about those 😊
Old 20th May 2016, 17:07   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

Looking for some good advice. Am not an avid biker but like bikes & short bike rides. My room mates have an Avenger & Enfield 500 each.

I, personally am a fan of 'design & looks' of the bike. And I LOVE bikes with fairings. Offlate the bug had bitten & am checking what options will be a nice one for my requirements.

1. Looking at more of a long distance riding & less of city rides
2. For a guy who's not much experienced on bikes (am a bigger fan of cars & will remain so).
3. Something reliable; I have a Palio GTX to keep me busy otherwise.
4. Only faired bikes except the Thunderbird (if it ever get to the list)
5. Should be comfortable for long distances (would be solo mostly) with decent handling. Need not be a high speed corner craver
6. Decent maintenance cost
7. Ideally with ABS, at least as an option!

A couple of weeks back, KTM RC models were displayed in office & I was smitten by the looks; that's when the bug bit hard.

How does RC 200 / 390 / Pulsar 200SS / CBR 150 / 250 / Thunderbird 350 / 500 fare against each other?

I saw a video of Yamaha R25 & liked the styling but its not launched yet in India? Didn't like the design of R15 / R3 (300 cc bike); Same with Ninja 300. However, if any of these have substantial advantage over my preferred models, then I don't mind including these in the list as well.

Saw PowerDrift video on RC200 & they mentioned this bike is not for roads, even if its highway. Is it that bad?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th May 2016 at 17:13.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ideally with ABS, at least as an option!

A couple of weeks back, KTM RC models were displayed in office & I was smitten by the looks; that's when the bug bit hard.

How does RC 200 / 390

I saw a video of Yamaha R25 & liked the styling but its not launched yet in India? Didn't like the design of R15 / R3 (300 cc bike); Same with Ninja 300. However, if any of these have substantial advantage over my preferred models, then I don't mind including these in the list as well.

Saw PowerDrift video on RC200 & they mentioned this bike is not for roads, even if its highway. Is it that bad?
All the above points indicate you already are in love with the KTM.

Test drive the 390 first, (Duke and RC both before any other bike) and you will fall in love with it in 10 seconds flat. Then keep them as benchmark and compare with the others.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:27   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

1. Looking at more of a long distance riding & less of city rides
2. For a guy who's not much experienced on bikes (am a bigger fan of cars & will remain so).
3. Something reliable; I have a Palio GTX to keep me busy otherwise.
4. Only faired bikes except the Thunderbird (if it ever get to the list)
5. Should be comfortable for long distances (would be solo mostly) with decent handling. Need not be a high speed corner craver
6. Decent maintenance cost
7. Ideally with ABS, at least as an option!
Looking at your options of 1,5 RC doesn't fall in that category. It is a corner craver, you just have to down-shift and hit the corner to feel the joy.As some one said for bikers happiness lies in the corner RC is not a good tourer, given its sporty riding position and lesser fuel tank capacity! I guess based on your needs RE seems to be a better fit
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:45   #102

After a lot of thought being put into which bike should I buy. I have zeroed my decisions over to the following two bikes.
1. KTM Duke 390 - 2016 version
2. Royal Enfield - Thunderbird 500
I test rode both the bikes and they are in two different leagues. But kings of their fields I must say.
I am looking for a bike that will give me a lot of torque and high speeds with much safety and stability.
So will going for a Duke390 be advisable?
Please give your comments on this. are there any issues as of now with the Duke 390?
also post if you have found any solutions for those issues
Thanks a lot
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:52   #103
BHPian

Dear all, I am new to biking where I started the journey with TVS Jupiter in Aug 2015 and then moved to Suzuki Gixxer in Nov 2015. Now I am fairly comfortable with riding and planning to take the next step.

I had almost finalized on KTM Duke 390 as my friends own them and I have driven them for a fair bit. I love the power surge and torque availability in this bike but I do not like the heating problem.

Last Sat, since I did not have anything better to do, went to check out some other options and in the process drove Kawasaki Z250, Ninja 300, Kawasaki ER 6N, CBR 250 and Yamaha R3.

CBR 250 is out as I felt it similar to my friend's ZMR but with a refined engine.

Now the dilemma. I am kinda sold on Z250 but after taking ER 6N for a spin, I am not able to get that out of my mind . I need your inputs to close on this.

How is ER6n to drive inside city. I could not deduce much from the test drive but it felt easy to ride. Also the surge comes only at higher rpm's and hence should be manageable. Lack of ABS is sad but brakes felt awesome with very good feedback. Z250 is very refined (better than my Gixxer) with very smooth gear shifts and linear acceleration with amazing power at top end and hence looks good for city as well.

So now it is a fight between Z250 (most favoured) followed by ER6n ( I love this) and the Duke (very good apart from vibrations and heat. ABS is a plus)

Last edited by NaviRai12 : 23rd May 2016 at 15:11. Reason: Edited typo
Old 6th April 2019, 15:43   #104
BHPian

Even after thinking for 2 years, I am not able to decide on which bike to buy in this category

Having used a Bajaj bike for over 12 years, I have no qualms in considering any one among the Pulsar family. But then there are the Yamaha FZ and Fazer 25 to lure me. If not that, the dreams of a now pricey CBR 250 come to haunt me. If I am able to think beyond this, used bikes from a segment above 250 is an option to drool for.

With a budget of Re 90000/-, which used bike is a good option for touring with a pillion?
Old 6th April 2019, 16:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you look at the 2019 Dominar. Good VFM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks