Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 15:55   #1
BHPian

Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

Hi Team,

I am planning of an upgrade, I owned Avenger 220 for four years which I have sold in May'15. I am looking for a bike which will be with me for next 5-7 years at least. I have a liking for faired bikes but I can consider other practical and better options. The bike will be used for a daily commute of 15-20 Kms during peak office hours and once in a month for highway ride.

Few things I am looking for:

1. Quality(Don't want to end up visiting the service center every weekend)
2. FE - Anything above 25 kmpl
3. Should hold well for 5-7 years.
4. Budget - 2.5 Lacs (Might consider increasing, if need be)
5. I am 6' 1 - Bike dimensions should go well with my height.
6. Availability of spare parts for next 5-7 years at least.

Looking forward for all the inputs. Thanks in advance😊
Old 11th August 2015, 16:31   #2
BHPian

re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

For your height and budget, I think the CBR250R ABS would make sense. I would've suggested the Duke 390, but I think it'll look a bit small under you.

Although the CBR hasn't been updated in ages, it's still a pretty potent bike. Comfy riding position, bullet-proof engine and Japanese refinement is what you get. Spares/service is a bit costly, but only when compared against the KTMs.
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
For your height and budget, I think the CBR250R ABS would make sense. I would've suggested the Duke 390, but I think it'll look a bit small under you.

Although the CBR hasn't been updated in ages, it's still a pretty potent bike. Comfy riding position, bullet-proof engine and Japanese refinement is what you get. Spares/service is a bit costly, but only when compared against the KTMs.
I have had my eyes on CBR since quite a while now, and my brain did try to convince me to go for it but my heart runs in the opposite direction, not sure what is wrong here. The least Honda could have done is introduced CBR 300 by now.
Old 11th August 2015, 17:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:

+1 to that . Here are some arguments in favour of the bike

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3312788

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3330749

Cheers!
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:25   #5
BHPian

For your height and budget do consider the Suzuki Inazuma. It does have the big bike looks and I heard there was a price reduction.

Also if you are interested in the faired version the yamaha R 3 is just launched. Not sure about the OTR though.
Old 11th August 2015, 17:28   #6
BHPian

As RiderZone rightly mentioned, the CBR fits your criteria. However, it's not the only one.

However, the first name that comes into mind given your critera is the KTM Duke 390. Now, given your height is 6'1, I don't think it will be uncomfortable or out-of-dimension for you. I'm 6'4 and own one, and it has never failed me (in any aspect, even eye candy ). Apart from this, the D390 ticks (and ticks them bold) every criterion of yours. The RC390 might give you spine/knee pain.

Another choice for you is the Royal Enfield Continental GT. It's the only RE to have made sense to me, given it's features and charisma which is in sync with it's pricing. This would be my second recommendation to you. Lucidly put, it's in a class of it's own.

I would suggest you to test drive the bikes on different days. Don't want to sound like a fan-boy, but the Orange hangover has (in most cases) proven too strong and marauded every other choice any prospective biker might had in mind, including the ones that came close to it.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:10   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Honda CBR250R ABS makes sense if you want to stick to the budget that you have mentioned, though its older machine now, but what a refined machine it is.

If you can look at extending the budget, I would recommend the all new Yamaha R3, it may far stretch your budget, but worth every penny spent.
Old 11th August 2015, 19:17   #8
BHPian

For your price and budget, I would look at the Duke 390, but when I sat on it, my legs were bent too far back. Thing is, when I did sit on it, I actually had an ankle sprain ( which was somewhat in the process of recovering ). I'm 6 feet tall, ride 18 kilometers to work everyday (quite a bit of it in notorious Bangalore traffic) and on the CBR250R, I'm extremely comfortable.

For reference, I came from an Avenger too ( but I rode it VERY little compared to you ) and I bought my bike a little over a month ago, and don't regret it even one bit. Maybe that has to do with the fact that the RC390 was too much of a track focused bike, and while I liked the Duke's looks, the angle of my knee bend was too low, and I didn't push to get a Duke. And hence, I got the CBR250R ABS.

With the Honda, you get the legendary reliability and the most comfort (both for street and for touring). With the Duke and the RC, you get the massive fun and adrenaline rush from 0 to street legal speeds and a fuel tank that's the size of your thumb with the efficiency to match. Oh, and way better tyres on the Duke.

I would suggest a test ride of both vehicles. You might find the Duke too upright, but from what I see online of people of your height riding the CBR, they seem to have no issues whatsoever. Still, test ride is king.
Shanenanigans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
The least Honda could have done is introduced CBR 300 by now.
Another perspective on 300 - this also means 250's spares will be available for the kind of period you're looking to own without any confusion whether the spares will be available for 250 or 300 or will 300 also be extinct after 3-4 years, whether the spares will be cross compatible between 250 & 300 etc
Old 11th August 2015, 20:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Thank you for the links . Almost everything around is pointing towards CBR. For me, if at all I happen to buy a CBR, it will be an arranged marriage as compared to love at first sight kinda marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
For your height and budget do consider the Suzuki Inazuma. It does have the big bike looks and I heard there was a price reduction.

Also if you are interested in the faired version the yamaha R 3 is just launched. Not sure about the OTR though.
Suzuki Inazuma did not sell well, and am not very sure if its spare parts will be available easily 5 to 7 years down the line as that is one main criteria.

I was eagerly waiting for Yamaha R3 launch hoping it would be priced under 3.0 but it is 3.25 ex-showroom delhi. For now, I will keep it as the last option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As RiderZone rightly mentioned, the CBR fits your criteria. However, it's not the only one.

However, the first name that comes into mind given your critera is the KTM Duke 390. Now, given your height is 6'1, I don't think it will be uncomfortable or out-of-dimension for you. I'm 6'4 and own one, and it has never failed me (in any aspect, even eye candy ). Apart from this, the D390 ticks (and ticks them bold) every criterion of yours. The RC390 might give you spine/knee pain.

sound like a fan-boy, but the Orange hangover has (in most cases) proven too strong and marauded every other choice any prospective biker might had in mind, including the ones that came close to it.
I can sense the love you have for your orange ride . I loved the RC390's styling and its aggressive looks, however as you mentioned the posture is way too committed for a daily ride. The Duke 390 on the other hand looks comfortable to ride with its upright sitting position, however I am a bit skeptical about the overall quality of the KTM pair. I plan to retain this bike for a period of 5-7 years, as I dream of owning a proper sports bike after saving some money in these 5-7 years.

Continental GT does looks like a good option, but somehow I find it a bit cramped for a bike of this power and class. Having said that, It is on my Test-drive list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Hi,

Honda CBR250R ABS makes sense if you want to stick to the budget that you have mentioned, though its older machine now, but what a refined machine it is.

If you can look at extending the budget, I would recommend the all new Yamaha R3, it may far stretch your budget, but worth every penny spent.
Yes, the CBR250R makes sense, I plan to test-ride it to reach to a conclusion. As far as Yamaha R3 is concerned, I was waiting eagerly for its launch, hoping they would price it below 3 lacs but alas some dreams are meant to be broken. Let's see, what do I end up with. Never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
For your price and budget, I would look at the Duke 390, but when I sat on it, my legs were bent too far back. Thing is, when I did sit on it, I actually had an ankle sprain ( which was somewhat in the process of recovering ). I'm 6 feet tall, ride 18 kilometers to work everyday (quite a bit of it in notorious Bangalore traffic) and on the CBR250R, I'm extremely comfortable.

I would suggest a test ride of both vehicles. You might find the Duke too upright, but from what I see online of people of your height riding the CBR, they seem to have no issues whatsoever. Still, test ride is king.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Yes, the test ride is king. I just wanted to shortlist a few bikes before I being the test rides, less options, lesser confusion. If you don't mind sharing - what did CBR250R cost you on road and what kind of FE are you able to get out it?

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 11th August 2015 at 20:51.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 21:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for such a detailed reply. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Yes, the test ride is king. I just wanted to shortlist a few bikes before I being the test rides, less options, lesser confusion. If you don't mind sharing - what did CBR250R cost you on road and what kind of FE are you able to get out it?
So my particular bike ( pearl sunbeam white ABS) was 2.25L OTR with next day delivery. I usually get around 30-32 kmpl (35+ on the highway). Spirited riding in the city nets me around 30 or so. And ABS is really forgiving.
Shanenanigans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Value per ever CC/CM of a bike is the KTM 390 be it naked or the RC390. It is way better than any of the 250 and even the Ninjas 300 and can boldly say even the 650.

I am 6'1 and 390 is perfectly fine. In fact sits comfortably under you and is more planted.

Now if you are ready to up your budget, go for the R3 from Yamaha Sweet ride and sweeter sound of the Yamaha engine.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 04:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

ER,

I have the exact same query with a purchase window of 10 Sep or mid Oct so I'll chip in a bit as well, while not trying to conduct a parallel discussion.

It'll be primarily for touring but being a MAMIL my dreams involve a Kinetic Jupiter which I can use to drop my 4 yo son to school daily and tour on weekends. But such is life. Hazaaron khwaishein aisi ki har khwahish pe dam nikle. (a thousand desires such as these that each desire takes a lifetime)!

I'm not getting any younger so let me focus on getting a capable tourer. My pulsar has been around for 9 years (10 total) getting intermediate use so I'm looking for a really long term ownership here (even the swift completes 7 years soon, and is around for a few years more!).

The use case is:
  • Occasional bat-out-of-hell touring solo.
  • Once a year 2 up touring with the wife (or lesser).
  • The bike will stand idle 25 days in a month, do grocery runs 4 days in a month and ONCE a month it will see the highways for 500-1500km.
So I need a bike that's super reliable and can be left away in a corner only to be brought to life once in a blue moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Agreed. But I'm just a bit sad the market hasn't moved much since 2011! Honda's sticker job was a fair bit of an insult. I've kept the money ready since Jun but the bike wasn't available in Gurgaon only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Value per ever CC/CM of a bike is the KTM 390 be it naked or the RC390. It is way better than any of the 250 and even the Ninjas 300 and can boldly say even the 650.

I am 6'1 and 390 is perfectly fine. In fact sits comfortably under you and is more planted.

Now if you are ready to up your budget, go for the R3 from Yamaha Sweet ride and sweeter sound of the Yamaha engine.
R3 doesnt do it for me - it would either be the D390 or the CBR. Now while D390 is really lightweight (150 kg is ideal given my crap fitness), many other negatives still abound:
http://riderzone.in/negatives-of-duke-390/ Clutch and heating and engine shut off issues. The small fuel tank is annoying as well for someone who got 45 mileage on his P180 while riding 2 up to Ladakh.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 23:12   #14
BHPian

Re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ER,

I have the exact same query with a purchase window of 10 Sep or mid Oct so I'll chip in a bit as well, while not trying to conduct a parallel discussion.

It'll be primarily for touring but being a MAMIL my dreams involve a Kinetic Jupiter which I can use to drop my 4 yo son to school daily and tour on weekends. But such is life. Hazaaron khwaishein aisi ki har khwahish pe dam nikle. (a thousand desires such as these that each desire takes a lifetime)!

R3 doesnt do it for me - it would either be the D390 or the CBR. Now while D390 is really lightweight (150 kg is ideal given my crap fitness), many other negatives still abound:
http://riderzone.in/negatives-of-duke-390/ Clutch and heating and engine shut off issues. The small fuel tank is annoying as well for someone who got 45 mileage on his P180 while riding 2 up to Ladakh.
I am not sure if the any of the bikes from KTM stable is strong enough to be driven for a longish period of 7-10 years. I absolutely love them, but I am also aware that if I am looking for a long term ownership they might not be the best bet. You are spot on on CBR, though I see it as one of the top contenders for me.

Bdw, any specific reason for keeping out the REs? They should suit almost all of your requirements. For me, I have already owned an Avenger for four years and I now want to move onto something sportier.
Old 12th August 2015, 23:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Bdw, any specific reason for keeping out the REs? They should suit almost all of your requirements. For me, I have already owned an Avenger for four years and I now want to move onto something sportier.
Due apologies to all RE fans but ...

I understand the latest bunch is much nicer / much more reliable but let's just say I want something QUICK (most of my riding buddies moved from 150cc bikes to Duke/CBR) and for a motorcycle, I need outright bulletproof reliability.

My job that makes me travel for 5 days a week with calls at all odd hours and I have a super hyperactive son that i cant spend time with. I don't need any more excitement in my life courtesy the motorbike.

I need a high speed appliance - fill it, shut it, forget it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks