Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 08:34   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Suzuki V-Strom 250 coming up?

Sometime ago there were rumours on auto websites that Kawasaki was developing a 250 cc version of its Versys tourer which is otherwise sold in capacities of over 1000 cc and 650 cc. Now following this rumour is another; this time about Suzuki developing a 250 cc version of its V Strom which also comes in capacities similar to the Versys.

Usually one would dismiss these rumours as just that; but given the fact that the so called Adventure tourers/sports machines of Bajaj have found traction in the Indian motorcycle market and the buzz around the upcoming Royal Enfield Himalayan, an adventure tourer has been increasing, one perhaps need not dismiss these as just rumours. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki need volumes in the Indian motorcycle space and with the 250cc sector attracting more interest than it did in the past, it is not inconceivable that there maybe an element of truth to these rumours. Kawasaki has naked street fighter and a Ninja in this segment and could do with another product which is visually different. Suzuki has specifically ruled out fighting for space in the crowded sections such as the 100 cc segment and has talked about building its presence in what it called new niches. This is where the 250 cc V Strom could fit it. Whether is any truth behind these rumours or not only time will tell. One can always hope; nothing wrong with that.

Picture of Suzuki V Strom 650 used only for representational purpose and copyright belongs to its holder/s.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Suzuki V-Strom 250 coming up?-suzukivstrom650side55885.jpg  

sadsack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 11:23   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Suzuki V-Strom 250 coming up?

This segment is hotting up or what? A look at the recent developments in this sector:-
  • First we have rumors of a KTM Adventure 390 (though they were later denied, they are still doing the rounds).
  • Then we have rumors of a new adventure bike from the RE stable. It is now more or less certain that 'Himalayan' will make its debut in the festival season.
  • Only recently there was a news that a possible Versys 250 is being developed.
  • And now we have this V Strom (or G Strom as some websites are reporting it, due to it parallel twin configuration) with the legendary V Strom DNA !
Adventure bike enthusiasts never had it so good in India

The only major players yet to jump into the fray are Honda (CB 300X possibly?) and Yamaha. Bajaj has already the AS 150/200 in the segment, if you could call it an adventure bike (though they have hit the sweet spot with pricing IMO).

V Strom 250 will make sense in India. Suzuki already has a reliable motor courtesy the Inazuma which will do the duty in this. Plonk in some goodies like ABS and eye catching styling and price it sensibly and Suzuki should decent numbers. Of course, the adventure motorcycle segment as a whole is an alien concept in India - people are more likely to recognize a Hayabusa on the street than a R1200GS . To get people interested in the segment and sell decent numbers, bike makers will have to advertise like crazy and make it a value for money offer - low cost with lots of goodies and features.

All said and done, this news is indeed music to the adventure biking enthusiast in India !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 19th August 2015 at 11:43.
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Bajaj has already the AS 150/200 in the segment, if you could call it an adventure bike (though they have hit the sweet spot with pricing IMO).

Mate i very strongly disagree with you when you refer to the AS 150/200 as an adventure bike. What traits does it have to be considered in the adventure segment? Its just an ordinary commuter bike which they have boldly named it as adventure.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
What traits does it have to be considered in the adventure segment? Its just an ordinary commuter bike which they have boldly named it as adventure.
Alloy wheels, street suspension and a tiny windscreen! And an MH registration bike rode all the way to Spain to take part in La Tomatina. Oh, and of course the stickers!!
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate i very strongly disagree with you when you refer to the AS 150/200 as an adventure bike. What traits does it have to be considered in the adventure segment? Its just an ordinary commuter bike which they have boldly named it as adventure.
ku69rd Mate Bajaj is at least experimenting with this category unlike any other manufacturer has done before barring Hero Impulse and now very soon to be released RE Himalayan. Agreed that Bajaj is just done a sticker job but they have to be given credit for giving a semi faired motorcycle with projector beam headlamps, perimeter frame chassis, and a competent 200cc liquid cooled engine albeit from NS200 which in turn is from Duke 200. They have also priced it very well for the budding adventure touring enthusiasts who don't have deep pockets. RE on the other hand have seem to take a notice of this and are readying their own adventure tourer. Indian Adventure Tourer market is changing and evolving which is good for adventure tourer motorcycling enthusiasts like me.

For adventure touring enthusiasts like me the feasting is just begun. With so many rumoured ADV Touring motorcycles ready to hit out shores I can't just wait to see it happen. Although we do have litre class Kawasaki Versys 1000, Suzuki V Strom 1000, Triumph Tiger 800/1200, BMW R1200GS F650GS, etc. and many more. The quarter litre seems to be heating up given the market potential we have for this category. BTW the Suzuki V Strom 650 looks delicious especially with those wired spoked wheels.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Suzuki V-Strom 250 coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
BTW the Suzuki V Strom 650 looks delicious especially with those wired spoked wheels.

Ook, but still with all the capabilities am sure Bajaj could have done a better job IMHO. Not even a charger point? Let me stop buddie else it might look bad.

Yes the V Strom 650 is a fantastic adventurous tourer and do have a look at the Kawasaki KLE650. One of my dream machines to own. With its 27 liter tank and the comfort am sure it will dare you to go places
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is excellent news! Though I would prefer both Kawasaki and Suzuki look at slightly bigger engines i.e. sub-400cc

But it will be a mighty long wait before one of these lands up at our shores. We are still waiting for the Versys650 and VStrom650 to come to our shores. A 'rumored' 250cc might take years before it becomes a reality and even more for it to come to India. Though all said and done. both manufacturers have 250cc engines they would just need to tweak it for more ADV'ish power delivery. Of course the rest of bike would need be built ground up since they have nothing in that range presently.

I really liked the VStrom650, rode it for around 3.5K kms and its just brilliant for what it offers. I hope it gets launched here, at a "competitive" price
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 14:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the V Strom 650 is a fantastic adventurous tourer and do have a look at the Kawasaki KLE650. One of my dream machines to own. With its 27 liter tank and the comfort am sure it will dare you to go places
True mate I also like the Kawasaki KLR650 in addition to KLE650 called Versys 650 off lately. I am a self confessed Kawasaki fan and I get attracted to their bikes like fly to the honey . Mate I could see that you are Yamaha fan it would be great if Yamaha too comes in with their world class Adventure Motorcycles like the Super Tenere, FJ-09, etc.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 17:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

If this news is to be believed, the 250 VStrom finally sees the light of the day.

Rumour: Suzuki V-Strom 250 coming up?-977e45df044613582efc4caa0060841e.jpg

Source - http://www.morebikes.co.uk/new-bike-...-suzuki-japan/

However, if this thing is powered by Inazuma's 24Hp mill it is probably going to have a hard time finding takers. With Inazuma's weight itself it was a bit underpowered (but still very much rideable). With all these additions, I don't see how that 24Hp motor is viable anymore, unless they push the engine a light further in the 28-30HP range.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
However, if this thing is powered by Inazuma's 24Hp mill it is probably going to have a hard time finding takers. With Inazuma's weight itself it was a bit underpowered (but still very much rideable). With all these additions, I don't see how that 24Hp motor is viable anymore, unless they push the engine a light further in the 28-30HP range.
Bullet 350 is under 20 HP. So I dont think Inazuma was underpowered, it was how it was tuned, for a relaxed, smooth ride. It went wrong with bad pricing, by the time they cut it by almost a lakh, it had no takers.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Bullet 350 is under 20 HP.
Since when is Bullet the benchmark for how much power a bike should make?

The Inazuma (nor the rumoured VStrom250) are cruiser/classic/retro bikes, they are not meant to be underpowered or 'just' meant for relaxed riding. Not saying they cannot be used for that, but that is not the primary intended use of these bikes.
Old 15th June 2017, 17:18   #12
BHPian

VStrom250- Well no comments or rumors on that bike yet.

VSTROM650
Diwali a birdie tells me is when the 650 will be launched and delivery meant to be starting from December 2017.
Expected price range will be between 9 and 10L.
22L tank, 22-24 average, seat height 840mm, 19" front.
60-Nm Torque
65-off BHP.
For now thats on the tap. Lets see how this 'strong' rumor develops.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 21:12   #13
BHPian

Off topic
VStrom 650 is something I have been eagerly waiting after reading a lot of positive reviews, and now with the addition of traction control on the 2017 model it surely looks promising.
Any further information is surely welcome on this matter.

Most Viewed