Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 22:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson stolen in Hyderabad on pretext of 'Test Ride'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
He got suspended from ONGC. He has bought the bike from the showroom and the case is being dismissed. Must have paid some extra money.

But I don't think the punishment is just.

Its like you can loot a jewelry shop and if yet get caught then pay up otherwise take it home.
Sad to hear this. Suspension means nothing, pamper your bosses ego and voila you are back on your post, government jobs are permanent. Also buying off the bike and closing the case is silly but this is India where in judges pardon men who marry the women they rape..
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:10   #47
BHPian

The dealers must have withdrawn the case for a settlement. They probably didnt want any more publicity on that matter. We can never predict how our media will twist this. "American bike company files case against mentally unsound engineer". They could make the dealers the bad guys. I guess the dealers just wanted this whole mess behind them. They got rid of the TD vehicle and hopefully got compensated for their efforts. Win for them as far as I'm considered.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Sad to hear this. Suspension means nothing, pamper your bosses ego and voila you are back on your post, government jobs are permanent. Also buying off the bike and closing the case is silly but this is India where in judges pardon men who marry the women they rape..
I have mentioned this before and some people didn't agree predictably so..

we live in a very cynical world.. and often times look at things only from one perspective. every crime deserve punishment but there are degrees of crime.. forgiveness is the biggest quality humans posses... you never know... mental illness is a tricky thing. he was not a hardened criminal and i am happy that better sense prevailed at the end. In my opinion one mistake is not enough to ruin an entire life... that's my take,
Old 16th October 2015, 14:00   #49
BHPian

i also wan to add one more thing... thousands of Harley bikes get stolen in USA. all of them don't show up on TV!! the point is dealer and Harley milked the story. the poor guys screen capture was pasted all over TV. All the dealer had to do was file for insurance and he would have got full value of his stolen bike. instead he chose to go on national TV.

it my be extreme but i think the dealer really needs to compensate the guy for using him (good or bad publicity... its publicity for Harley....its aspirational value etc.)

i am sure part of the reason why dealer decided to drop the charges was the free publicity. its funny at the end dealer is a poor victim (even though he was fully insured). i am sure about 80% of the folks on this forum think the dealer was the victim.

Last edited by krcustoms : 16th October 2015 at 14:07.
Old 16th October 2015, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
it my be extreme but i think the dealer really needs to compensate the guy for using him (good or bad publicity... its publicity for Harley....its aspirational value etc.)

i am sure part of the reason why dealer decided to drop the charges was the free publicity. its funny at the end dealer is a poor victim (even though he was fully insured). i am sure about 80% of the folks on this forum think the dealer was the victim.
Because it was the dealer whose bike was stolen, I am sure he does qualify as a victim of theft. Of course, blame is on dealer for being negligent and not verifying credentials of customer but that shouldn't make him a culprit.

I am still trying to get my head around how the dealer can be blamed for using the guy for getting publicity. Unless it was a publicity, which I am assuming it wasn't.

And I don't understand why dealer should compensate the thief who stole from him?
Old 16th October 2015, 15:02   #51
BHPian

ksameer1234. companies don't become victim , individuals do.

every company has tons of "Risk" coverage. In all businesses have insurance cover for all kinds of things including business loss IE, stole bikes. As a business you are required to have this.

the point is if the company has suffered a loss they will get compensated one way or the other but who put the news on TV? why should it be a pasted all over the country?

if this was a US based crime the guy could sue for compensation for mental torture after the crime was committed. yes believe it or not even criminals have rights. Its nobody's business to defame a guy to the extent the dealer did just for a loss which was covered anyways!!

don't look at it from a individual perspective. the dealer is not an individual.
Old 16th October 2015, 15:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
every company has tons of "Risk" coverage. In all businesses have insurance cover for all kinds of things including business loss IE, stole bikes. As a business you are required to have this.

the point is if the company has suffered a loss they will get compensated one way or the other but who put the news on TV? why should it be a pasted all over the country?

don't look at it from a individual perspective. the dealer is not an individual.
Dealer may not be an individual, but that does not mean he has no rights to ensure safety of the property, for which he is responsible. The guy has stolen a bike and was absconding. Putting the news on TV in such cases helps a lot in nabbing the thief.

Just because there is insurance does not mean people have right to steal. In fact, it is the dealer who must be applauded for dropping the charges against the guy. He was well within his rights to pursue the case and demand compensation for mental agony faced by him to trace his property.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 16:12   #53
BHPian

i don't think you are getting what i am trying to say. its funny its the same kind of dealers when they cheat (IE. the VW fiasco) then we are all up in arms about how bad the motor companies are etc , the point is its a business, they have coverage. they could have filed a police complain and stopped but they didn't. they went national.

Trust me if this case was put in front of a jury in USS , i bet they would award some compensation to the guy alas we don't have such a system so yes your point taken.
Old 16th October 2015, 16:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
i don't think you are getting what i am trying to say........
Trust me if this case was put in front of a jury in USS , i bet they would award some compensation to the guy alas we don't have such a system so yes your point taken.
No, I don't think any jury will reward him. The dealer reported the fact that the bike was stolen and the thief’s image was widely publicised. Why should the dealer go through the hassle of getting insurance money when he has the prospect of catching the thief and recovering the bike or full price of bike?, and why should the insurance company pay up if not enough effort was made to catch the thief ? About his mental capacity – I don’t think ONGC would employ a person who is unsound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks