Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 09:38   #61

Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
R3 Reviewed by Powerdrift. Not like one of the cracking videos from PD but definitely a good quick watch. Comprehensive shoot out from PD coming soon.
Powerdrift does pretty good bike reviews. Shelly does a real good job of noting all the positives and negatives of the bike he tests. Cant say the same about their car reviews though; more oomph than stuff.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2015 at 18:23. Reason: Removed video link from the quoted post
Old 14th November 2015, 12:58   #62
BHPian

Pretty good review, Abhishek! Hope you'll have loads of fun on your purchase. You having been an earlier Yamaha owner, and probably would've known from your friend owners of Yamaha, do you wanna throw some light on how often they would get repairs? I come from the Royal Enfield stable (a 1962 and a Continental GT), so have some experience of a different nature ��.
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 16:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Pretty good review, Abhishek! Hope you'll have loads of fun on your purchase. You having been an earlier Yamaha owner, and probably would've known from your friend owners of Yamaha, do you wanna throw some light on how often they would get repairs? I come from the Royal Enfield stable (a 1962 and a Continental GT), so have some experience of a different nature ��.
One of the reasons I am fond of Yamaha as a brand is because of the quality of the bikes they make. Repairs is a rare thing with these new age bikes. What you will be taking the bike to the service center is for general service or normal wear and tear. Break downs is extremely rare with Bikes from the Yamaha stable.
Old 17th November 2015, 13:03   #64
BHPian

Life beyond the 'Running In' Period

The Running In Highlights

- 0-1000, strictly within 7000 RPM which still does a triple digit.
- 1000-1600, it's recommended within 8400 RPM although from 1300 onwards I did few short bursts of 11k RPM.
- At 7K RPM, The Yamaha R3 almost floats. No vibration and smoothly goes on base triple digit figures.
- 8.5K RPM is fun enough to be in love with the bike. It's steady and holds the characteristic of linear Acceleration
- At 11 K RPM you should keep a watch at the speedo console cause the bike does not make you realize how fast are going. It's very planted and steady.
- There is wind blast at higher speeds on the highway and you have to crouch to avoid it.
- Engine oil and filter changed at around 400 kms at my request.
- Engine oil and filter changed next at around 1000 kms as per first service schedule.
- 3 Bottles of Yamalube 10w40 at 450 INR/ltr for the first oil change and 2 bottles for the next one using a little from previous oil change
- Oil Filter was replaced during both the oil changes costing around 360 INR/filter.
- People interested in Mileage. Ride sane and it goes as high as 35 in highways else it's around 25 km/ltr.

Riders in our group have completed track days, touring from Bangalore to Kolkata and back and not a single major complain yet. The price is suddenly all justified.

And Yes, few are already contemplating the change of tyres cause that's still remains the weak point of the otherwise more or less perfect bike. Tyres are good enough for regular touring and riding but fails to keep up with the bike on the tracks.
abhisheksircar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
R3 Reviewed by Powerdrift. Not like one of the cracking videos from PD but definitely a good quick watch. Comprehensive shoot out from PD coming soon.
Powerdrift is a superb channel, though their biking reviews obviously outshine the car ones. I've never been as intrigued to any auto review since Top Gear.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th December 2015 at 14:39. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 22nd November 2015, 20:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Life beyond the 'Running In' Period

Quote:
...Tyres are good enough for regular touring and riding but fails to keep up with the bike on the tracks.
Congrats on the fantastic bike, Abhishek!

I saw a Yamaha R3 entering Divyasree Techno Park on an evening earlier this week. The same colour as yours. Was it you, by any chance?
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Congrats on the fantastic bike, Abhishek!

I saw a Yamaha R3 entering Divyasree Techno Park on an evening earlier this week. The same colour as yours. Was it you, by any chance?
Thank you. That was not me I rarely ride within the town. As of now, it has almost become, I rarely am riding with the rains all over.
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. That was not me I rarely ride within the town. As of now, it has almost become, I rarely am riding with the rains all over.
Totally understandable. The rains and the roads(or lack thereof) in Bangalaore would test the fit and finish of any motorcycle.

The R3 comes with a diamond frame that is largely blamed for the lack of riding dynamics a la the R15.

Then again, the segments these bikes are targetting is completely different. Do you think adding a deltabox to the R3 would make it significantly better considering it isn't built to be a track tool per se?
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think adding a deltabox to the R3 would make it significantly better considering it isn't built to be a track tool per se?
Well, if it's named 'R' 3, then it better live up to it's racing heritage. I wouldn't want a compromise.. I want a Supersport! My ideal bike would be an RC390 with R3's engine.
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Totally understandable. The rains and the roads(or lack thereof) in Bangalaore would test the fit and finish of any motorcycle.

The R3 comes with a diamond frame that is largely blamed for the lack of riding dynamics a la the R15.

Then again, the segments these bikes are targetting is completely different. Do you think adding a deltabox to the R3 would make it significantly better considering it isn't built to be a track tool per se?
Deltabox has definitely been a cost cutting step but will it make it "Significantly" better with a deltabox, that I doubt. People who are doing the tracks have not blamed the handling but the Tyres. With better tyres, it's almost there.
Old 25th November 2015, 14:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
it's almost there.
This is exactly what i felt. However the same thing i have quoted is also in another sense too. Proud owner of a new R3 in raven black and red color scheme
Old 14th December 2015, 17:51   #72
BHPian

Fantastic info brother.

I am from Mumbai and have booked the R3 which will arrive in next week.

I wanted to know how to decode the VIN for Yamaha R3. I need to know the exact manufacturing month and year of my R3.

Thanks in anticipation
Old 24th December 2015, 14:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr_yash View Post
Fantastic info brother.

I am from Mumbai and have booked the R3 which will arrive in next week.

I wanted to know how to decode the VIN for Yamaha R3. I need to know the exact manufacturing month and year of my R3.

Thanks in anticipation
I am sorry, I missed seeing this one. You might have got your R3 by now. Hearty Congratulations !! Enjoy every mile

http://www.vin-decoder.org/yamaha-vin-decoder [Just in case]
Old 24th December 2015, 20:46   #74
BHPian

Quote:

- Engine oil and filter changed at around 400 kms at my request.
- Engine oil and filter changed next at around 1000 kms as per first service schedule.
Hi Abhishek, can you pls advise if you see a significant difference in running in and engine performance if you do an 'early' oil and filter change at 400kms and then again at 1k kms as opposed to doing it the first time at 1k kms? I know you have practiced this with your R15 also and I just got a R15 S hence asking

Also, does the oil and filter change at 400kms qualify as the first 'free' service. Which Yamaha service centre in Bangalore do you recommend?

TIA
Supratik
Old 4th January 2016, 20:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Abhishek, can you pls advise if you see a significant difference in running in and engine performance if you do an 'early' oil and filter change at 400kms and then again at 1k kms as opposed to doing it the first time at 1k kms?
I would not know so soon if it makes a significant difference. This usually helps in longer runs. Yes, I did follow this in the R15 as well and the bike was quite smooth till the last day. Not sure if it is because of the Oil Change process itself or in general. But yes, it will not be of any harm for sure
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks