Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 14:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review

This weekend was planned for a ride but I am not good with riding in Rains. It was time to get the bike into the Spa. One of our riders found an establishment called "ReflectON". Reflecton is owned by a gentleman called Sandesh who has been obsessed with restorations and detailing from his childhood days. I always believe that if your passion becomes your profession, you are bound to do good.

For now, due to logistics issue, he took me to a friend's setup where my bike was detailed. The whole process was a whooping 25 hrs including setting time. For the first time, I was seeing a kind of detailing that I used to always see in Discovery Turbo I had to leave my bike overnight to be amazed the next day. My bike was already clean but to get delivered an almost showroom worthy piece was amazing. The attention to details covering the logo, nook and corners were just amazing.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-img20151003wa0016.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-20151003_13.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-20151003.jpg

So what do they cover in this.

Bike Degreasing, Cleaning and Protection
Froth Wash
Claying and removing any imperfection in the paint surface
Swirl Removal if any
Double Layer Ceramic Coating
Plastic Trim Coating
Tyre Sealant to avoid cracking

The ceramic coating does not make it scratch proof but definitely makes it a bit resistant. The over all coating is extremely hydrophobic in nature. The coating has different finishes for Matte and Glossy finish. Determined to take the car next which needs it way more than the bike for now.

Do check out the completed ones in the website to be amazed !

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th October 2015 at 19:36. Reason: edited as requested
abhisheksircar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:06   #47
BHPian

Yamaha is issuing a global recall for faulty handles for the R3.

https://rideapart.com/articles/yamah...all-2015-yzfr3

Please check if your bike is eligible for a recall.
abeerbagul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Yamaha is issuing a global recall for faulty handles for the R3.

https://rideapart.com/articles/yamah...all-2015-yzfr3

Please check if your bike is eligible for a recall.
Thanks Abeer. Checked with few bike owners in my list that I am connected with. There are all RH101 series. Phew !! For convenience, putting the IDs of effected bikes here.

RH06Y-0006766
RH06Y-0006795
RH06Y-0006867
RH06Y-0006876
RH06Y-0006927
RH06Y-0006935
RH06Y-0006958
RH06Y-0006960
RH06Y-0006967
RH06Y-0007003
RH06Y-0007021
RH06Y-0007028
RH06Y-0007032
RH06Y-0007037
RH06Y-0007058
RH06Y-0007078
Old 10th October 2015, 17:09   #49
BHPian

Paddock Stand

Cleaning the bike, cleaning the chain, lubing the chain etc is not as simple with the side stand only. Hence my first order for the bike was the paddock stand. "Made in India", this comes directly from a manufacturer in Mumbai. It does not require any separate set of spools or anything, it's a straight fit for the Yamaha R3 under it's swing arm. For 2200/- INR, it's really good and a good to have in the garage for sure.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-_mg_8971.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-_mg_8968.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-_mg_8967.jpg
abhisheksircar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 18:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

A great review Abhishek and congratulations! Rated 5 star. Now, in recent months we have seen some great launches. 2 of them being the Yamaha R3 and the other being the Honda 650F. Now both of them are rated rather sedately vis-à-vis their competitors. R3 is being compared to the Duke 390 and being down rated in comparison, rather unfairly imho. And the Honda is being compared to the Z800 kwaker as they are similarly priced. But what people forget is the refinement. Once you ride either of these bikes and then compare with their competitors you should realise why these two Japanese brands are world leaders. The refinement and power delivery is so smooth and that is where the difference lies. It is not for any other reason that Yamaha is leading the Moto GP since the last 2 years with Honda breathing down its neck. The R3 is the best in it's class imho and perfectly suited for Indian conditions. Though I am now looking at another personal favorite of mine, the Ducati Diavel, but that's another story all together.

So congratulations once again. Ride safe, ride fully geared. Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 10th October 2015 at 18:48.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 13:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Once you ride either of these bikes and then compare with their competitors you should realise why these two Japanese brands are world leaders. The refinement and power delivery is so smooth and that is where the difference lies.
Very few understand this and hence unfortunately Yamaha and Honda continue to struggle to please the local market in the motorcycle segment where price plays a very important factor on how good the bike is, irrespective of class, category, cc, bhp, type etc. And you took the right examples when it comes to brand. Honda and Yamaha. Both have marvels in their stable !
abhisheksircar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 15:29   #52
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition Abhishek! R3 seems to have been well thought out and looks like all your points were spot on as well. While i haven't test ridden this bike and have almost made up my mind with another bike (the benelli TNT 300), i really do not know much as far as the R3 is concerned. I really am thinking about the R3 with the ninja 300 being prohibitively expensive in my case. R3/TNT300 is max my budget might allow me to go with.

Well, looks like i'll have to go try and get a test ride somewhere. Also, any words on pillion comfort sir?
Old 15th October 2015, 10:00   #53

Congrats Abhishek!

The Yamaha R3 is the next big buy for me. Planning for it towards the end of the FY. Hopefully, Yamaha would bring in the ABS version by then. Wonderful reviews like yours certainly help me in cementing my decision.

Before the Yamaha launched, it was always the Ninja 300. But the huge price difference between the two is hard to ignore and the R3 also looks better in my opinion.

Yes, I also hate the puttering of the Dukes.
Old 16th October 2015, 08:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Well, looks like i'll have to go try and get a test ride somewhere. Also, any words on pillion comfort sir?
Although I have not ridden the TNT300, I am sure the TNT300 has a more relaxed riding position and better pillion comfort. Although pillion comfort in the R3 is more relaxed than the R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta.joseph View Post
opefully, Yamaha would bring in the ABS version by then. Wonderful reviews like yours certainly help me in cementing my decision.
I really doubt they will get in the ABS soon but who knows, the fact that they launched the R3 and not the R25 itself is a pleasantly surprising move by Yamaha India.

All the best with the buy
abhisheksircar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 11:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before the Yamaha launched, it was always the Ninja 300....

You just resonated my mind. This R3 has indeed increased the confusion for us(who are looking for a twin-cyl upgrades). Good thing is since its somewhat similar to R-15, it won't attract any unwanted attention much. But then, the Ninja(to me) looks meaner/sharper. Rest everything about the R3 makes more sense.

And I too hate the auto-ish exhaust note of the dukes(Seriously, can't KTM do anything about it?).

Thanks abhishek for the super comprehensive review & the comparison by various owners(plus Navneeth's take on the bike) is really informative. Will help us prospective buyers a lot when our time comes to dish out the gandhis

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th October 2015 at 11:48.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 12:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Abhishek!

Hopefully, Yamaha would bring in the ABS version by then.
Even I am hoping Yamaha brings in the ABS version. The quality of the machine seems to be top notch and the performance falls perfectly into my category. ABS would give a lot of confidence specially in Indian roads for me.

This machine also sounds really sweeeet
Old 17th October 2015, 17:21   #57
BHPian

Excellent ownership/review thread, Abhishek!
I came across one R3 last Sunday, it looks smaller in person and was quiet, thus hardly got any attention. Still not a bike I'd be comfortable leaving unattended in public spaces.
Looking forward to more updates.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 16:41   #58
BHPian

This Sunday's agenda was simple to go through the complete detailed report of the R3. And it was worth reading. @abhisheksircar firstly my congratulations to the new steed and you truly deserve the first one to be delivered for the true blue Yamaha fan you are.

Looking forward to more continued detailed ownership reviews from you.

Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2017 at 09:29. Reason: Language
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
All the best with the buy
R3 has a very nice rider position as well. Test rode both, felt that the total cost of ownership will definitely be a lot lesser in case of R3 and the service intervals are well spaced out. Booked it today! I made an analysis of both with just basic constraints and the thing actually showed that the tnt will be expensive to maintain in the longer run.
Old 26th October 2015, 09:11   #60
BHPian

R3 Reviewed by Powerdrift. Not like one of the cracking videos from PD but definitely a good quick watch. Comprehensive shoot out from PD coming soon.

abhisheksircar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks