Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 10:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh

Yamaha has launched the YZF-R15 S motorcycle in India at a price of Rs. 1,14,741 (ex-showroom, Delhi). The YZF-R15 S is a single seat version of the YZF-R15 and features a single, long seat instead of split seats.

Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh-r-15-single-sheet85399.jpg

The YZF-R15 S is mechanically identical to the YZF-R15. It is powered by the same 149.8cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, petrol engine that puts out 17 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 15 Nm of torque @ 7,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed transmission.

Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh-r-15s-blkgreen-3qtr85460-2.jpg

The YZF-R15 S has a deltabox frame with a telescopic fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear. The bike has disc brakes all round and a fuel tank with a capacity of 12 litres.

Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh-r-15s-red-3qtr85427-2.jpg

The YZF-R15 S is available in three colours - Track white, Adrenalin Red and Spark Green.

Yamaha has also announced that it will continue to sell the YZF-R15 in India.
Aditya is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh

Aditya, is it launched?
Old 18th September 2015, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move. I am surprised that Yamaha turned out to be so nimble and reacted so quickly to market feedback

Many Mothers would have dis-approved of their Sons going for a R15 since it was not saree friendly. This bike is going to take the fight to the CBR150
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:24   #4
BHPian

confused when i read this in news section; checked the date to see if it is an old article, but no. Yamaha has really launched the v1 model back in India Not sure of the rationale behind this launch, that too with the moniker 's'. If this is the 's' (sports?) version, then what is v2 r15 being sold now? a commuter bike Price also seems to be on par with v2 @ 1.15 lakhs. As much as i like the long single seat design, this approach doesn't look like a sensible one to me.
sasi@8689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Aditya, is it launched?
Apparently yes! And here we thought this was some kind of a joke

Now Yamaha has 2 identical bikes at the same price point, except the difference in the rear seating position. Interesting strategy!
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Yamaha, you just made the R15 a little more practical once again.
As a owner of the first R15, I can say that the single seat (which also sits lower than split seat), though hampers the overall looks, is very comfortable for pillions.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its a great move.

The split rear seat on the R15 was frankly ridiculous.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
confused when i read this in news section;
This is essentially the best avatar of the R15. It blends what Yamaha should've retained from v1.0 with the improvements of v2.0.

This will be looked at as a v1.5. But to me, this is a v2.5. A definite improvement over the R15 v2.0.

Why? Yamaha has been listening to people when it should've been common sense all along! The sheer lack of practicality in the rear seat of the R15 v2.0 was apparent right from the launch. No grab rails to hold on to that also double up to safeguard people from skidding off the bike, no grooves to hold on to as well. This change should've come long ago.

The rear fender seems to be better designed to accommodate the larger tyre compared to the v1.0 as well.

I am hoping the tail lights house an LED cluster and not the boring normal bulb setup.

Quote:
"However, our research showed that a particular customer segment desired for a single seat version as it is more convenient for the pillion rider,"
Yamaha, you talk about research, where is your 250cc single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Will the S version retain the Engine related changes of the v2.0 (maps, closed loop efi etc..)? If yes, this is more than brilliant!
I think yes. The R15 v2 has been reported to be more friendly in the low end of the rev band. And that was a grouse some had in the V1. So I am assuming Yamaha retained this.

This caught my eye on the internet:
Quote:
The wheelbase has been reduced to 1,290mm from 1,345mm, while the kerb weight has been dropped by 5kg.
This seems to be bogus news to me. They have just mentioned specs of the V1 there in my opinion. The wheelbase increase from 1290mm in the V1 to 1345mm in the V2 was supposedly due to the new swingarm on the V2 that has been retained in the R15-S. Also, the weight of the R15 V1 was 131kg while the R15 V2 weighed 136kg.

Seems unlikely that the weight would've reduced by so much only for some cosmetic changes. Moreso, with the fatter rubbers.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 18th September 2015 at 12:57.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is brilliant! Kudos to Yamaha for taking into account the customer's sentiments!

One doubt though, Will the S version retain the Engine related changes of the v2.0 (maps, closed loop efi etc..)? If yes, this is more than brilliant!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Agreed with all the above views on seat design and added practicality. But what i cannot figure out is it took them FOUR years to come up with this (v2 was launched in the end of 2011 IIRC). After such long time gap, coming back to the older design is what left me confused. They could have done it at launch or immediately after launch and given the customers choice between the two designs. Infact the current v2 could have been named r15-S (sports) then. Its almost time for a v3 now
sasi@8689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:21   #11
BHPian

For some one who has owned v1 for 5 year and v2 for an year now, I am truly stunned. And I dont know how to react. But I feel some reaction alright!

Everyone knows that v1 was an excellent bike in every aspect be it corner carving, be it long distance runs or ruling the race tracks. It was a bag of surprises. I remember one long ride of 1200 kms with a pillion in 2 days from Delhi to Manali and back.

Coming back to V2, corners, ghat section and all, just superb, but take a pillion on the city roads, let alone highway, and you'll be cursing yourself along with the pillion. Its not impossible to ride with a pillion but it isnt worth it.

Now to this R15 S. What have they done, yet another lame attempt to improve sales figures. Why meddle with something like V1 that has become a legend(or almost on its way to become one).
They could have atleast come up with a new design for the rear/side cowl. Seat is acceptable. And I even understand the need to improve the sales. What I cant fathom is the fact that Yamaha designers could not come up with a new tail section design for single seat.
mehuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:22   #12
BHPian

I am just not able to figure out two things. Does this mean the pillion's elevated position is back to normal. Looking at the images I also feel the riding position is upright unlike the existing set up.
Old 18th September 2015, 13:37   #13
BHPian

The seat is not the only change. Note the rear mud guard. The tyre hugger seems to have been done away with and the rear mud guard has been extended.
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The R15 looks bit sober but much better utility wise. I remember the difficulty i had to get onto the pillion seat and the only thing one could grab onto was the rider. This is a good thing for some (wink wink) but hard thing for many! This will surely make the plus sized pillions happy(No offence to anyone).
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
The seat is not the only change. Note the rear mud guard. The tyre hugger seems to have been done away with and the rear mud guard has been extended.
Interesting observation. This will be helpful during rains.

But on a serious note, I believe Yamaha has realized that they have lost their sportiest bike to KTMs, RS, Gixxer. And best thing they could come up with is to turn the R15 V2 into "practical" bike.

We often talk about buyers being confused, in this case the manufacturer itself is even more confused.

We all can take it in a positive stride. But imagine KTM RC being made more practical on these same lines in the years to come.

It wont be because the Dukes are the practical and usable ones already. So why couldnt Yamaha come up with a redesigned sub frame and tail section and naked version.

Last edited by mehuel : 18th September 2015 at 13:54.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed