Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa sells >10 lakh scooters in 5 months!

The undisputed leader in the 2-wheeler segment, the Honda Activa has clocked a record-breaking 1 million sales in the first 5 months of the FY 2015-16.

The Honda Activa outsells all the products in the scooter segment and contributes to over 51% of the total sales. Its volumes have grown 20 times that of the 2-wheeler Industry in April to August 2015. Honda managed to sell 10,01,350 units of this scooter in the same period. In FY 2014-15, the Activa reached 21,78,227 homes in the country. The Activa achieved the 1 crore milestone in August 2015 (link to news article).

The range includes the Activa 3G and Activa i, both are powered by a 109.2 cc motor. There is also the more powerful Activa 125 powered by a 124.9 cc motor. All engines are 4-stroke and air-cooled that feature Honda's Eco Technology and are mated to a V-Matic (gearless) transmission.

Honda Activa sells >10 lakh scooters in 5 months!-activa-new3g.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa sells >10 lakh scooters in 5 months!

The original Hero Honda slogan of 'Fill it, shut it , forget it' actually applies to this vehicle. 'Run it to the ground' can also be added to the slogan. But it will be ready to be run down to the ground again next morning. Got the 1 & 2 versions of it at home and is a dream in Bangalore traffic. Even though there are much better products in the market, the simplicity is what makes it click I believe.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:28   #3
BHPian

WOW!!! 1 million in 5 months, Honda had really built up trust and brand equity over the years. Right from its launch in 2000, the Activa has been a good seller taking the baton from Kinetic Honda.

Bajaj would be dejected at the market they just missed, they had the scooter market just to themselves until they unearthed their unbelievable desire on the Pulsar and ignored the scooter market all together thereby losing huge market share. I remember reading somewhere that Bajaj was mulling to re-launch scooters albeit a failed mission
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 00:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let them sell a million scooters in 5 months. But I am not impressed at all.

Reason: Attitude at Honda two wheeler dealerships, whenever I went with an intention to buy their product.

It happened twice and both the times I purchased their competitor's product. Once Mahindra Duro and Hero Pleasure after that. Very satisfied and happy with both these.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 08:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is commendable of Honda to sell 6 figure numbers in such a short span. I would say most of these sales must have been from Tier 2 and 3 cities rather than the metros. Inspite of selling such high numbers Honda has not addressed the spine breaking front hydraulic suspensions issue, they should have replaced it with telescopic suspensions in 3G and was done with 125 cc.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2015 at 14:11. Reason: Typo
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since this is an entirely unknown genre to me, can someone please explain how it has managed to land itself in this position and why do people flock to buy Activa when there is a plethora of options for gearless scooters?

Is it something like Maruti phenomena?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Since this is an entirely unknown genre to me, can someone please explain how it has managed to land itself in this position and why do people flock to buy Activa when there is a plethora of options for gearless scooters?

Is it something like Maruti phenomena?
I. Major Factors (product related):

>> A long list of satisfied customers since 2001
>> Simple but Reliable Product. Like someone mentioned "Fill It-Shut It-Forget it"
>> Very strong World of Mouth
>> Good resale value
>> Blind Faith

In short "Herd Mentality".

II. Stroke of Good LUCK for HMSI:

"Right Product, at the Right Place, at the Right time (emerging India)"

1. Emerging India -> Better city infrastructure, increasing traffic congestion

2. Uni-sex product -> in a country with increasing women in the workforce

3. Strorage space -> For the quick grocery and city roundabouts

4. Family vehicle -> Apart from Women, even the Elderly and the Young Teenagers can ride automatic scooters.

The Activa was the most realiable and trouble free product for a long time.. by the time others came to match (better) the Activa in terms of specs/tech/build/ride... the Activa has went on to become a behemoth BRAND now.. almost impossible to dislodge

III. Royal Enfield Classic like "waiting period" Phenomena:

Also till about a year back the production lagged behind the demand, creating a situation where customers had to wait for months after booking to take delivery. Currently available off the shelf, but the "waiting period" also according to me also added to building brand "Activa" it is now today.

IV. Blessing in Disguise: Trade Restrictions:

Due to agreement with earstwhile partner "Hero", HMSI could sell only scooters for the first 3 years... leading them to focus only on scooters initially.

Last edited by payeng : 24th September 2015 at 12:08.
payeng is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:44   #8
BHPian

I agree with "Herd Mentality" Comment. Bought the version 1 for my dad, who was coming from the Bajaj classic scooter. He went all gaga over it and had influenced many others in his circle to get an Activa and not even look at others. By the time my better half decided to ride, she wanted nothing but the Activa, even though I tried to convince her otherwise. Now we have two of them.
The same is the case with relatives down on the coast where the sheet metal is eaten away by the salt. But they did not even flinch when I suggested they get the Dio instead. Some of them are in the 3rd or 4th scooter cycles, all Activas.
It is too big now for anybody to even nibble at their toes in terms of numbers.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:58   #9
BHPian

Additionally, I feel the size of the vehicle played a major role for becoming a perfect family scooter. The size of Activa is perfect for anyone and everyone in the family.

I remember when we wanted to buy a scooter for my wife in 2006, we test-rode the very few options available back then. The TVS Scooty lost only because of its puny size (for a 2+1 family) and the Activa for long waiting period. Finally, we bought the newly launched Hero Honda Pleasure (because it was readily available and the dealer assured that "it's the same engine as Activa, sir" !).
RishikeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:22   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely mind-boggling stats.

If we take the average selling price of an Activa at Rs. 52,000, the turnover from 10 lakh Activas is a whopping 5,200 crore

Or 1000 crores a month. That's more than what Maruti would make from selling 20,000 Altos!

Heck, 1000 crores is comparable to the monthly turnover of Honda Cars (including all their models). If we add Honda's motorcycles etc., Honda cars is completely eclipsed!

And here we thought that Honda is first a car maker, then a 2-wheeler company. Hats off to the Activa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
It happened twice and both the times I purchased their competitor's product. Once Mahindra Duro and Hero Pleasure after that. Very satisfied and happy with both these.
I personally don't let a salesman's attitude affect my choice of vehicle. I have to live with the car - not the salesman - for 5 to 10 years. If I like a car, I'll buy it...no matter how broken the sales experience might be.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I personally don't let a salesman's attitude affect my choice of vehicle. I have to live with the car - not the salesman - for 5 to 10 years. If I like a car, I'll buy it...no matter how broken the sales experience might be.
Agreed. But if the showrooms are not interested to offer even a test ride, then I do not buy a product only based on its sales volumes.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent comment. Time and again I see this type of reaction that I walked into so and so showroom, no one bothered to welcome me, so I walked out and bought one from a different make. We go to showroom to buy a car/scooter. Not to marry the salesman. Why should his arrogance or lack of knowledge about the product put me off? For all you know, that salesman was probably selling TVs in an electronics store till yesterday. I saw this in my town. I don't expect them to possess much knowledge about the cars they are here to sell. And, everyone these days gets all the info from the internet before they walk into showroom. As for salesman's bad behaviour, may be he had a bad day at home or on his way here. Or a fight with someone just before you got there.

Anyway, coming to Activa, I am surprised it is such a big hit despite its bland looks. Honda brand has a tremendous pull here. It has revolutionized automatic two-wheeler concept. Wonder why our countrymen who queue up to buy an automatic Activa, do not do so to buy an automatic car.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Personally I simply can't get over the fact that one has to buy the "Number Plates" as accessories with Honda 2 Wheelers...

.. and people are still perfectly ok with it..!!

payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:20   #14
BHPian

In short, Activa is Scooter & Scooter is Activa! The brand is so solid that many people don't say Honda Activa, its Activ Honda for them. Activa has become like Xerox, nobody says anything about photocopy - its just Xerox. Now Honda should offer Telescopic suspension & Fuel refill at the top on all Activa models.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:47   #15
BHPian

I have owned 2 of these. The first one was 2002/03 vintage(given away to the maid after 1,12,000 kms). All these years, it just needed monthly wash, oil changes every 3 months and I tuned the carb myself(Honda ASS always tuned it very lean). Still runs fine and no hiccups at all.

Got the second one from a kid who wanted to sell after breaking his leg riding it. It was all stickered up(something written in punjabi script) LEDs all around and projectors. Got it for a pittance, replacement parts from Mayapuri for a pittance and little TLC, it runs like new :-D. Planning to run this to the ground too.... This scoot will probably run in the nuclear winters too

PS: Me grandad had the Kinetic Honda Scoot. It's tagline was, " one day, all scooters will be like this" How prophetic!
Manoj2268 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks