Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2018, 18:59   #271
BHPian

Re: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS launched in India

To be very honest, the GS310R looks like any other commuter bike in India. Lazy graphics, un-BMW design. The new FZ 250 or the Gixxer or even the Benellis all look the same. I was wishing the BMW would have added some of their non-symmetric headlamp designs.
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 19:03   #272
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

KTM will happily launch their ADV variant and still undercut this BMW by quite a margin !!
Old 18th July 2018, 19:38   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
KTM will happily launch their ADV variant and still undercut this BMW by quite a margin !!
Watch out, KTM may even undercut G310R with their 390 Adv pricing.
Old 18th July 2018, 20:25   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
So ODmag says bookings are 60:40 in favor of GS .. but still substantial numbers for 310R. With already a waiting period of 2-3 months - looks like a success already for BMW.
They said that the price was 2.75 for G310r too, take it with a pinch of salt. Other then that, what is the total booking count, how much will eventually convert to sales. Now 60:40 of 200 bikes booked would be 120:80 bikes. Overall the price has been taken not very positively anywhere.

Let's wait to see official sale numbers, if anything BMW would want the entire world to believe it is a success.
Old 18th July 2018, 21:00   #275
BHPian

The pricing is very high considering its specs. The duke 390 outperforms this in all aspects, and with its limited dealer network it doesn't stand a chance in front of the duke. In this segment, I highly doubt that people will go for this bike only for the brand name.

And the upcoming localized Ninja 300 with a reduced price tag will be the last nail in the coffin.
miles_hungry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 21:31   #276
Senior - BHPian

The "Baby" GS (and its cousin) costs more than the Maruti Alto.. beats me WHY? Especially when its made and sourced 100% out of HOSUR (Tamil Nadu).

Nope.. I don't agree with the BMW Badge justification either.

Its KTM all the way for me

Last edited by payeng : 18th July 2018 at 21:36.
payeng is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 21:33   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The prices are stratospheric, to be honest.
A price cut by Rs 50K, would have made it a compelling package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
The pricing is very high considering its specs. The duke 390 outperforms this in all aspects, and with its limited dealer network it doesn't stand a chance in front of the duke. In this segment, I highly doubt that people will go for this bike only for the brand name.
And the upcoming localized Ninja 300 with a reduced price tag will be the last nail in the coffin.
Also, why shouldn't one buy the Apache RR 310 which is essentially the same motorcycle with complete fairing and bit more sportiness. At Rs. 2,23,045 it clearly shows the premium BMW is charging for the brand.
I doubt if TVS will bring a naked / street version of the bike due to clash with BMW as their partner, however if they it will be priced further less. BMW should have been wiser with pricing, but brand pull might give them good sales.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-apache310rr.jpg

Last edited by PraNeel : 18th July 2018 at 21:35.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 21:56   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Also, why shouldn't one buy the Apache RR 310 which is essentially the same motorcycle with complete fairing and bit more sportiness.
And its usually the faired versions that are more expensive than the naked ones.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 00:21   #279
BANNED

So this is the Yaris of the bike world! They know they can sell but they want to position themselves as a premium alternative. Maybe it'll work in India.

But, in the US, it's cheaper than the 390. It should be. The 390 has more power, more style, and more features (LED headlight, color console, Bluetooth instrumentation, ride-by-wire.) Not to mention, larger service network and affordable spares, if you live in India. Being European, the 390 is just as exotic as the 310. It's only here that the BMW badge carries a higher status in our minds.

I knew this Beemer's price was going to stink the moment TVS got cocky with the RR and inflated its tag.

I'll not be surprised to see discounts (Rs. 50k) on these bikes in about half a year's time. These are Made-For-India bikes. They have to make it in India -- or perish.

The GS IMO looks very substantial in person. Indians will love that. But an enthusiast will have a hard time understanding its true purpose. It's going to be a damn good commuter. But ~Rs. 4 lakh on a commuter bike? It can tour too. But that's it.

I'd rather have a Himalayan for touring and commuting. It's more abuse friendly and despite expensive maintenance, it'll be much cheaper than the Beemers.
And I can buy the 390 for aggressive street riding. For just a little over 4L, I can buy bikes that can knock out the G310R AND the G310GS and sent them both home crying.

God Bless BMW Motorrad.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 19th July 2018 at 00:31.
MaheshY1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 01:12   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
So ODmag says bookings are 60:40 in favor of GS .. but still substantial numbers for 310R.
Bookings were made without the price announcement. What matters is how many of those bookings actually translate to sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
I booked by G310R yesterday by paying an amount of Rs.50,000 .

Although I have made the booking, still I will take my final decision once the prices are revealed.
Have you made the decision driverabhi? Interested to know your decision on the G310R booking. Hope the dealership has reached out to you for an early TD oppurtunity.
Old 19th July 2018, 02:04   #281
BHPian

I see a lot of negative comments on the forum which is purely based on the supposed over pricing of the BMW G310R & G310 GS. None of the commentators have ridden the bike so these comments seem overtly critical to me.

My comments would be primarily limited around G310 GS.

Comparing a motorcycle like KTM 390 Adventure (still in the works) to G310 GS is pure conjecture at this point (I’m not in the least suggesting that KTM will not be a good Adv Tourer motorcycle). I have little doubt in my mind that when eventually the KTM 390 Adventure is launched it will be a great motorcycle and having observed their pricing strategy in the Indian market it will be a good value.

Just because the TVS 310RR & G310R/G310GS share the same platform does not make them same bikes. It is like saying that since Land Rover Discovery Sport & Tata Harrier share the same platform so basically, they are same vehicles. TVS may be the manufacturer however a lot engineering work on this bike has been done at Munich. I must also mention that I’m proud that an Indian manufacturer is getting a chance to manufacture a motorcycle for a world-renowned brand that will be sold across the world, that says a lot about TVS’s manufacturing prowess. I owned a Suzuki Shogun (the boss) back in 1994 and it was the best bike in the market back then.

I think it will be disingenuous of us if we continue to criticize BMW for having priced the bikes the way they have even before putting ourselves in the saddle and experiencing the motorcycle over selves.

In Calgary, where I live the BMW G310R is priced at $6,500 & KTM 390 at $6,000 so the BMW is priced at a slight premium. This is more or less the same across Europe, South Africa & Australia. One more thing to consider is that KTM so far does not have a major presence in the adventure tourer category whereas BMW is the one of the market leader in the category with legends such as R1200 GS & F800GS. It is natural for BMW to charge a little bit of premium for their brand; it happens in every product category. However, at the end of the of the day if the product offering does not deliver on the promise it will not sell which again is unlikely as the motorcycle has already received very good reviews in the mature motorcycle markets across the world such as South Africa, Australia & Europe. I was on a South African forum recently where the G310 GS has already been launched and the overwhelming verdict was that G310 GS is the best motorcycle in the world in its category. This comment was coming from guys who own motorcycles such as BMW F800GS & R1200GS. I’m not counting US as this is primarily a cruiser market where big displacement bikes are favoured and small capacity bikes are sneered at (I have 5 guys on my street owning two BMWs R1200 GSs, a Victory Cross Country Tour, a Triumph Tiger 1200 & Harley and none of these bikes are below 1200 CC).

Cycle World is one of the leading motorcycle magazines and here’s what the reviewer had to say regarding the G310GS “If ridden as its designers intended—as an occasional light off-road bike—then the G310GS scores highly. More experienced riders who want to carry more speed or tackle tough trails will find the bike comes up short, but probably aren’t shopping for this type of bike anyway. The quality level is impressive. The only real giveaway that this BMW is made in India by partner company TVS is the Bybre brakes; Bybre is Brembo’s Indian sister company. In fact, the majority of parts for the G310GS are sourced or produced in India. But, looking at the bike, most will just presume the little GS was made in Germany like the big 1200GS.”

India’s motorcycle market (and I’m just counting 300 CC & up) is rapidly growing and maturing in terms of the finer distinction between various segments & subsegments. KTM, Royal Enfield, Kawasaki & to an extent Honda have made rapid strides in the 300 to 650 CC category. BMW being a major motorcycle manufacturer for obvious reason wants a share of the pie; we need to commend them for having taken a right step in roping in TVS for manufacturing sub 750 CC product and pricing it competitively (at least the G310 GS). I would have liked the G310 GS to be priced closer to Rs. 3 lacs however it is what it is and now it is up to the Indian customer to take a call.

As far as BMW is concerned India represents a relatively small percentage of the market (last year they sold 164,153 motorcycles worldwide and sub 750 CC category constituted less than 10% of that number); their overarching objective seems to be exporting a large number of this duo to the dealers across the world.

I’m sure BMW would like to improve their presence in India quickly and this precisely is the right first step in that direction. Hopefully, the next step would be to improve their footprint across India. Currently, they just have one dealer in Delhi for the whole of North India (totally beyond me) and that needs to be rectified immediately.
Vikram Arya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 07:11   #282
BHPian

Re: Rumour: BMW to launch G 310 R, G 310 GS bikes in July 2018

Looks like the 310s will sell decently but not like how first gen Dukes did, seats are better than KTM, one who prefers comfortable ride to a sharper look will choose this.

BMW's direct manufacturing would have attracted the brand value buyers more.

End of the day, I still wish kawaski reduces the price of Versys 300 by a lakh , it is a better bike in every angle with that sweet twin underneath.
Old 19th July 2018, 07:31   #283
Senior - BHPian

Also the made in India Ninja 300 will make this bike Dead on Arrival. The pricing will be ball park in the same range but with a much stronger fan following.
Old 19th July 2018, 07:53   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, with every launch in the 300-400cc segment(3 launches so far- RR310, N400 and now BMW twins), I just am patting myself for buying the 2017 KTM RC 390.

There is no better bike at that price, and there isn't going to be any bike in the future too. Regarding BMW , all the best for selling 100bikes a year. Even the RR310 is overpriced for the lukewarm performance it offers, guess BMW wanted to win the absurd pricing company tag from TVS, by a mile!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th July 2018 at 08:10.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 09:04   #285
BHPian

I know "it doesn't have to make sense to me", but a honest question to people considering the G310R - why would you buy it over the Duke 390?
Apart from the BMW logo on the tank, it looks like any other generic bike. I have not tested it but from all online reviews the suspension is good but nothing great. I would rank the console and electronics at par. Powerwise the D390 will murder it.
So what exactly makes it worth almost one lakh over the D390?

(I wont talk about the GS as the mythical Adv390 is yet to launch)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks