Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 16:54   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Why is the RTO figure so high at 52K odd ? Doubt even a 3L car has that much as tax.

My friend had booked the G310R at Chennai (booking# 62 IIRC) and the pricing was on the lines of what the showroom staff told him and his expectations. So he is going ahead with the purchase for now.

He sold off his 2013 RE500 couple weeks ago in line with the plan to acquire the BMW.
Prior to the RE, he had a Yamaha FZ. Personally I felt (& told him too) that the 310R could be mistaken for the FZ on the roads, if not for the badge. He believes there still is value in the bike and well it's his choice & money.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:02   #302
BHPian

This was expected wasnt it? BMW doesn't have the infrastructure to sell any decent numbers. The rational would be to launch at a higher price than gradually reduce it to develop a value pricing for the product.

I personally waited for the baby GS for more than a year before buying a Dominar, even though I work for the group which manufactures these baby beemers.

What we need to take into consideration is that whatever numbers these bikes sell in, they will show a huge increase in sales for BMW as they currently do miniscule numbers.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:36   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
Its around 3.08L or something. I asked if I could click a picture of the price breakup which I was denied politely.
Why is that, are they ashamed themselves of the pricing

Good call though, hopefully your wait ends soon, and you get a better bike.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:44   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Why is the RTO figure so high at 52K odd ? Doubt even a 3L car has that much as tax.
Here this might help.Here
Old 19th July 2018, 19:13   #305
Senior - BHPian

So, BMW Motorrad has just 7 dealers in India? I know the Kolkata one is going to open soon - that will take the number to eight; but that is minuscule compared to KTM.
Old 19th July 2018, 20:25   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Effin 20% RTO tax in Bangalore
Old 19th July 2018, 21:23   #307
BHPian

I went to the BMW motorrad showroom in Pune today evening to check the twins out in flesh.

Initial bike impressions:

The G310R is really and truly underwhelming. For the local public, it may even look like a modified Yamaha FZ150 with a duplicate BMW badge , like a local rickshaw with a mercedes logo.
The exhaust note is nothing to write home about. A typical single cylinder thrum, but even worse because it has unneeded bass.

The styling is so common and the bike looks very small.

The G310 GS on the other hand looks like a million bucks. It is almost as tall as the R1200 GS and is pretty wide around the tank area.
The materials for the brake, clutch, accelerator do show some cost cutting, but overall the feel is extremely premium.
The build quality is very good too.

The suspension hardware is not as per the GS legend, the front dives too much and the rear is very soft.
But the stance and handlebar is very comfortable.

The sales experience was horrible. I hung around for 15 mins and no one attended me. I think the BMW salespeople look down upon the 310 customers.
After explicitly asking for someone to ask queries, one guy came up. I told him I am aware of the pricing due to team-bhp, and I want to know service and consumables costs.

The service is 10k km or once a year, whichever is first. He had no idea of service cost of each service. No idea of price of brake pads, or engine oil.
In fact, when I asked him the cost of brake pads, he smiled and said customers who buy BMW are rich enough not to bother about such things.
I was really pissed. This is not the kind of answers expected from any salesman, leave alone BMW.

A little while later, he admitted they have not had any training in these bikes before the launch. He did not know if the rear suspension was adjustable, and what kind of mileage is expected.

They are giving test rides in a 2 km radius, which is hilarious for testing a 5 lakhs adventure bike.

All in all, I dont think BMW values customers of these small cc bikes, certainly if this is the attitude shown during sales, the servicing people will treat me like shit.

I really like the product, but the G310 GS will have to wait until the company improves its customer service.
abeerbagul is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 00:41   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
This was expected wasnt it?
Whats also expected are the service costs!

This is not going to be a Duke / Apache to maintain. The service network is not going to differentiate the labour rates much between these 310 cousins and their elder 1000+cc siblings.

Expecting all hell to break loose once the initial owners start reporting their service bills.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 08:18   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
In fact, when I asked him the cost of brake pads, he smiled and said customers who buy BMW are rich enough not to bother about such things.
This is such an awful attitude from BMW!

Wonder what the idea is behind releasing these bikes if they are overpriced, underwhelming to look at and require this level of patience to even get a test ride. What's the strategy?

But I guess there will still be fanboys who will justify everything with 'it's a BMW after all' attitude. Made for each other.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 08:43   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is such an awful attitude from BMW!

Wonder what the idea is behind releasing these bikes if they are overpriced, underwhelming to look at and require this level of patience to even get a test ride. What's the strategy?

But I guess there will still be fanboys who will justify everything with 'it's a BMW after all' attitude. Made for each other.
What arrogance! Someone should tell him that he is selling a Rs 4lakh bike, not a Rs 40lakh 5 Series car. Even then there is no excuse for an inappropriate reply.

Better to buy the TVS clone of the BMW310.
Olympal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:21   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I am 35 year old, I can ride around in either of the twins. I absolutely love the new 390 but I wouldn't be caught dead riding it at my age. I feel KTM is a much younger bike while the Beemers are a little grown up.
I am 37 year old and I ride a flashy red RR310, and a lot of times my friends new duke 390. If you are riding thinking what people will say, then probably it's not a good sign. I would purely choose my ride on what pleases me, and not thinking what the world will think of me.

BMW 310R brings nothing on the table, which other bikes at lower price point don't have to offer. Also the Duke 390 in white is much subtle, and if you really want go more subtle you can paint the alloys black on white version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
What arrogance! Someone should tell him that he is selling a Rs 4lakh bike, not a Rs 40lakh 5 Series car. Even then there is no excuse for an inappropriate reply.

Better to buy the TVS clone of the BMW310.
Oh please RR310 is no clone of BMW310, except the engine and some share components, it has way much better design and character, way higher top speed, and way way more cool looking then the badge wannabe.

Last edited by AtheK : 20th July 2018 at 09:45.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:54   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

I probably missed out on a couple of details while going through this thread, so request the more know knowledgeable forum members to help me with these doubts
- Did BMW India announce colour based differential pricing for the 310R and the 310GS? I didnt see that in the pricing shared of the Pune dealership but it is there in the Bangalore dealership's pricing sheet. The BMW website only states the Rs 2.99L and Rs 3.49 L ex showroom price that has been widely reported. There is nothing mentioned in the terms and conditions listed by the BMW website either.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-1.png

- Do the registration and road tax amounts for the Bangalore dealership add up? I understand it is 18% road tax. Is cess still added onto the road tax? Is there any Tusker tax included?
Old 20th July 2018, 10:04   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Oh please RR310 is no clone of BMW310, except the engine and some share components, it has way much better design and character, way higher top speed, and way way more cool looking then the badge wannabe.
Imagine if RR310 was from BMW branding itself. They would have charged much more than the G310R for it, like KTM, Kawasaki and the likes charge more money for their faired siblings.

I personally find the TVS design much more appealing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:09   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Imagine if RR310 was from BMW branding itself. They would have charged much more than the G310R for it, like KTM, Kawasaki and the likes charge more money for their faired siblings.

I personally find the TVS design much more appealing.
I was actually about to type that, if the g310r was launched as apache RTR and RR310 as G310r, probably we would have people lining up in front of showrooms, hailing it the best Single cylinder sports bike. The apache RTR would have been branded another commuter Okish looking bike, with people saying you should better go for CBR or FZ or Gixxer.

I am happy with my RR, and happy it comes from TVS, i pay almost 1.4 lacs less, and save everytime it goes to service center.

Everyone who buys the BMW G310r for the badge aspiration, well as i said before, happy for them, but from all practical purposes and purely IMO, it's not a bike worth considering at that price point.
Old 20th July 2018, 10:42   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I

I am happy with my RR, and happy it comes from TVS, i pay almost 1.4 lacs less, and save everytime it goes to service center.

Not only that, RR310 has quite a lot of road presence, better aerodynamic advantage and more importantly, has a better top speed (if foreign reviews are to be trusted)
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed