Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2019, 11:12   #511
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Yes but the Sidi boots wont have the BMW logo like the TCX boots dont have the Ducati logo
Just like 'TVS bikes won't have BMW logo'! Apt for this thread.

The premium to be paid for a brand is upto the buyers to decide! I was only commenting on the quality aspect he was considering.

Depending on the apparel - most of it is from SIDI, Rev'it, Oxtar etc.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th January 2019 at 11:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 13:06   #512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Could you please list out the online websites where BMW jackets and riding gear is easily available?
Will suggest you to try Local dealership at Chandigarh and Delhi. BMW India has reduced prices on most of their products and these compete favorably with foreign prices, if you or your company are GST registered, you can claim back 18 %. You can negotiate 10-15 % on the lowest marked rates at these places.

Quote:
Talking of build quality. There does seem to be a downward trend. Not just in these small bikes but the big 1200s too. I think one should lap up any air cooled 1200 if it's available in the market. ICan't say that about the newer crop of BMWs I'm sure!
Well, it happens with every new generation. Some of the reasons can be shifting of the production to developing countries, like here's the screen shot of the engine on new 1250, I see a TVS logo here

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-whatsapp-image-20181026-8.49.50-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's all rebranded AFAIK - so you can get the same quality with top brands at cheaper prices.
I am not very sure if the products are exactly the same, but I will agree with Navpreet, BMW accessories & clothing is great.Like i checked these shoes here in Calgary today, retails at around 300 CAD, felt comfortable and for our weather should be good.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bmw-dry-sneakers
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 11:11   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will suggest you to try Local dealership at Chandigarh and Delhi. BMW India has reduced prices on most of their products and these compete favorably with foreign prices, if you or your company are GST registered, you can claim back 18 %. You can negotiate 10-15 % on the lowest marked rates at these places.

........... I see a TVS logo here

Turbanator, I'll check out the gear with the chandigarh dealer this time. The Delhi dealer did not have the sizes of the models to touch and feel.
GST- Well Acche Din are here indeed.

Quote:
It's all rebranded AFAIK - so you can get the same quality with top brands at cheaper prices.

Their GS boots for examples are SIDI - costed 56k for the BMW branded one, for the same model that had a price of 40k in shops.
CD, Yes made in the same factory but then so are most items in todays time. A separate factory or a production line is never setup for a low volume product line. But what is done is Quality Control.

You will definitely find better quality control done for different brands. I have had a "been there done that" kind of experience in my past career in automobile production.

So the difference might not be much in boots but when it comes to riding jackets, pants and gloves, quality control over stitching, fitting, and fabric stretch limits, buttons, zippers etc. translates into a difference of night and day. I am yet to find a better made jacket for riding than the BMW Rallye 3 Jacket that I use.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 6th January 2019 at 11:13.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 11:55   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
.............. I see a TVS logo here

Attachment 1833770

I am particularly surprised that BMW has used this TVS marked part on an engine which has been cut out and is being used as a technology display. Very Surprising. Normally we don't see such activity and display items are made specially in the prototype lines with high precision to showcase the technological prowess and then the mass production items are used on the deliverable items.

Shows that BMW has started complete outsourcing of certain items it seems. I'm sure a number of other components inside the engine are TVS as well. Not sure how to react to that. Be proud or ...
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 15:43   #515
BHPian

The TVS part must be a die cast part supplied to BMW by one of the many TVS group companies such as Sundaram fasteners, who also use the same trademark.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 15:45   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much does the RR310 rear brake pads cost? Since the bike's same - the pads also should be same right?
The Brembo brake pads cost INR 1,050 as CrAzY dRiVeR has said. TVS also offers Bybre brake pads that cost a mere INR 190 (for the rear set, not front). Though more affordable, there is a considerable loss of bite and is hence not recommended.

Quote:
Yes. True. If TVS sells over the counter.
I had placed an order for the Brembo brake pads with my TVS ASC as I wasn't satisfied with the Bybre units. I first called up the TVS customer care number and asked the guy if we could buy the products over the counter, to which he said it may or may not be allowed depending on the dealership. I enquired what the company policy was for the same, to which he said that officially you cannot buy it over the counter unless you want a spare set.
I later called up the ASC and they said a set of Brembo's have been kept aside for me.
Torque_Curve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 00:43   #517
Team-BHP Support

Zigwheels claims this is not a GS, and hard to recommend -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 01:53   #518
BANNED

Quote:
Zigwheels claims this is not a GS, and hard to recommend -
If I were you, I'd think twice before taking advice from someone who locks their knees while standing on the pegs.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-untitled.jpg

Not to mention flat footing!

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-untitled-2.jpg

The shorter bars not only give you more precise feedback but also makes it easy to position your crotch above the tank while your joints remain sprung, not to mention shorter bars offer lesser flex.

Plus commonsense dictates that undue leverage on stressed components is never a good idea, referring to the handle-bar raisers here.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 12th January 2019 at 02:00.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 08:29   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If I were you, I'd think twice before taking advice from someone who locks their knees while standing on the pegs.
Would like to learn more.

From what I know (and I'm not an offroad rider) - You need to hold the fuel tank with the knees even when riding an adventure motorcycle standing up, because -

1. Loose grip on the handlebar to allow the motorcycle to stabilize itself over the rough stop.
2. Firm grip on the bars and bad roads easily give an arm pump and cramps to adv riders.
3. The forward locked position of the knees help naturally suspend the body from shocks.

Or do you mean he had locked the knees straight up vertically?

Quote:
I think raised feet with the ball of the feet resting on an offroad peg is the ideal scenario - but given that these are normal pegs and not offroad - What is the right posture for the feet?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 09:38   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the time the photoshoot and and actual review happens separately. And of course the photo editor, who most likely wouldn't have been part of the ride, will pick the best looking photo and not the factually correct photo. So, don't judge an article just on the basis of the photos.
Real story: A photographer friend travelled from Kanyakumari to Kashmir on train for an assignment. When the article came out the journey became Kashmir to Kanyakumari cause the writer had done the journey in reverse.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 15:38   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Zigwheels claims this is not a GS, and hard to recommend
A very unbiased review. What a rare treat! Thanks much for sharing

Quote:
What are you on about bud? He’s Prarie dogging it for sure, but is barely moving. You don’t have to be in the attack mode 100% of the time. If you are just chilling, it’s not a biggie. Plus. I dont necessarily see knees locked. His butt is pushed backwards, isn’t it?

Quote:
You mean pegs on the arches of the feet? So?

Do watch this video and let me know what you think. I hope you follow this channel already and if you don’t, I highly recommend it. An absolute treasure trove

Quote:
The shorter bars not only give you more precise feedback but also makes it easy to position your crotch above the tank while your joints remain sprung, not to mention shorter bars offer lesser flex.
So go with race clip ons then? Mx bars are traditionally wide and the bend (high, mid, low) can be rider preference. For rigidity, you either get fat bars or standard bars that come with a brace

On a side note, a pic From today’s trail ride
Attached Thumbnails
BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-3a8b6f84c1f14372998f2a21b2a02fb4.jpeg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 12th January 2019 at 15:43.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 17:05   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

I lock my knees sometimes and do a full forward bend ashtanga asana to relieve my back, hamstrings, calf muscles, and my butt while riding whether offroad or on. Brilliant and works a treat
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 23:41   #523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
What are you on about bud? He’s Prarie dogging it for sure, but is barely moving. You don’t have to be in the attack mode 100% of the time. If you are just chilling, it’s not a biggie. Plus. I dont necessarily see knees locked. His butt is pushed backwards, isn’t it?

You mean pegs on the arches of the feet? So?
Irrespective of what you do with the rest of your body, the knee is the most likely part to sustain injury while off-road'ing, forgoing that the most easily conceivable type of injury is one pertaining to the meniscus or the articular cartilage.

And the easiest way for that to happen is to unsuspectingly go over any undulation with your knees locked, and depending on what you damage the pain reaction would vary, hence why most people do things the wrong way until there is minimal to nil room left for correction.

In my case the effect was immediate, as I'd hit the meniscus which rendered me unable to ride back to civilization without enduring tear-jerking pain with the slightest movement in the same leg required to change gears.

So as far as my concerns go anyone can prairie dog, reverse cowgirl or whatever style you call it, but in my case I'd let my guard remain up and maintain a safe distance from riders who are ignorant about the basics, especially if I'm riding with them.

Quote:
Do watch this video and let me know what you think. I hope you follow this channel already and if you don’t, I highly recommend it. An absolute treasure trove
In fact I do follow the channel, they provided insights that helped me improve my technique to reduce fatigue and injury.

Funny thing being the the video you've posted is the same one I've watched to arrive at the conclusion(not the only one though, MOTOTREK is also a goldmine of information), if you pay attention to the entire video you'll notice that though his personal preference is to ride on the arches, the facts of riding safer supports riding on the balls, which is what I advocate as well.

Quote:
So go with race clip ons then? Mx bars are traditionally wide and the bend (high, mid, low) can be rider preference. For rigidity, you either get fat bars or standard bars that come with a brace
You know what's even more funny?

Pause the video you've shared and in the intro at the beginning he mentions how pro Chris Birch weaned him off of using handlebar risers.

As for handlebar types, there are aluminum bars that flex more than their steel counterparts and since most MX bars are made with aluminum they require a brace in spite of the comparatively shorter height.

Anyhow, going for a taller bar is the better option compared to going for risers, the reason is quite obvious.

Ideally you're supposed to use unbreakable bolts when option for a riser as regular bolts aren't suited for the intended use at hand.

I've asked a very mainstream manufacturer of motorcycle accessories about the type of bolts he provides along with his raiser kits and as expected he was uncertain whether he was providing the correct type of bolts.

Hence why I'd strongly suggest those considering risers to do their own research before investing in any such accessories.

Personally I've experienced hard landings that have pinched and cracked my handlebar cushions, and I wouldn't dare use unwarranted hardware for an application that it is not designed to handle, especially when there is undue leverage in the mix.

Better safe that sorry.

Quote:
I think raised feet with the ball of the feet resting on an offroad peg is the ideal scenario - but given that these are normal pegs and not offroad - What is the right posture for the feet?
There is no right posture, only the more safer posture, which is to rest the balls on the pegs.

As for foot-peg types, I've had my foot slip off the pegs when I bottomed out and bashed the chassis on an undulation while riding flat footed on the Munnar~Pathanamthitta state highway stretch on the P220.

Whereas I'm yet to experience anything similar when riding on the balls of my feet as I've bashed the CT100B's chassis a few times while descending Manjumala and Urumbikkara without much drama compared to what had happened to me on the P220 as mentioned earlier.

Which unfortunately is not enough data for me to conclude if my slip was the result of using road pegs or improper technique.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 12th January 2019 at 23:55.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 01:43   #524
BHPian

How are these bikes performing , sales wise , in the market ? I am yet to see one here in Kolkata .
Old 16th January 2019, 11:33   #525
Team-BHP Support

Another comparison review now, this time with the Himalayan. Similar results -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks