Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 20:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

The 2017 390 KTM'S have definitely dulled the excitement for this baby beamer according to me
Old 17th September 2016, 15:00   #92
BHPian

re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The 2017 390 KTM'S have definitely dulled the excitement for this baby beamer according to me
Not for me though. I am still waiting patiently (yeah, right ) for this bike to launch. Personally, I never liked KTMs that much. They never appealed me. But again, its a personal taste and choice. BMW G310R on the other hand, has kind of grown on me now. Earlier, I was eager for Pulsar CS/VS 400, but now I am more keen on this junior Beamer.

From the two reviews posted earlier, one thing is very clear that the bike feels superb in riding. It must be very smooth which is a big factor for me. The bike handles well and its stability is awesome as per the reviews go. This again has given me much to wait for.
Old 4th October 2016, 23:41   #93
BHPian

Looks like the G310R will be launched next year as it was initially mentioned. However, they would be launching the rest of the line-up, probably by the end of October. Overdrive mentions the below details.

Quote:
The first stage is to bring in all of the current BMW Motorrad motorcycles within a month. The G 310 R will come in later

Heiner Faust, ‎vice president – sales and marketing, BMW Motorrad, told OVERDRIVE exclusively at the Intermot show today that BMW Motorrad is looking at entering India in two steps. The first step — our sources say within the month — will include almost all of the current BMW Motorrad motorcycles excluding the G 310 R.

Faust indicated that Indian paperwork, homologation etc. is taking time and that means the Indian-made single-cylinder will come later. Our estimate is January 2017. Faust declined to confirm.

When asked about the possibility of leveraging the Thailand plant to offer good prices, a route Ducati and Triumph already use rather well, Faust smiled. He said, “I cannot tell you this thing.”
Source: http://overdrive.in/news/intermot-20...-in-two-steps/
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 02:36   #94
Team-BHP Support

An extremely cool VR video of test driving the GS 310R.

In other news, it's not coming to our market till June 2017.

http://m.overdrive.in/news/bmw-g-310...ies-june-2017/
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 21:57   #95
BHPian

Was comparing in my mind the possibility of owning g310 or 2017 ktm 390 duke. Although ktm is more powerful I am ready to trade that for premium build quality, smoother engine and a more comfortable riding position with lower seat height (as I am 5ft5). However the lack of slipper clutch on bmw is putting me off
Old 25th November 2016, 05:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Was comparing in my mind the possibility of owning g310 or 2017 ktm 390 duke. Although ktm is more powerful I am ready to trade that for premium build quality, smoother engine and a more comfortable riding position with lower seat height (as I am 5ft5). However the lack of slipper clutch on bmw is putting me off
Why though? As I understand it, slipper clutch is principally used to combat engine braking and quick shifts needed in Race situations, where you'd be making huge downshifts at corners. It does make the clutch lighter, but will you miss it that sorely? I don't think so. The bike doesn't even have too big of a compression ratio (10.6:1). The R3 has a higher compression ratio at 11.2:1 and it isn't equipped with a slipper/assist clutch. It does just fine. The clutch is light and very usable too! The KTMs on the other hand have even higher compression ratios at 12.6:1 (right up there with some litre class bikes!) - that translates to some really heavy engine braking, so I get the need for a slipper clutch on the KTMs. I'm not saying that having a slipper clutch isn't going to help on the streets, but it won't ruin the bike either!

If you say the Ninja 300(CR=10.6:1) comes equipped with a slipper clutch, you have to realise that it's a very different engine altogether - twin cylinder and super high revving(the horses on this bike all hide north of 7k rpm!). The baby beemer is a street naked - I'm pretty sure there's good amount of usable torque and power down low.

Of course, if your intention is to take the G310R to the track regularly, this whole discussion would be a moo-point!
Madhav Nayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 13:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhav Nayak View Post
Why though? As I understand it, slipper clutch is principally used to combat engine braking and quick shifts needed in Race situations, where you'd be making huge downshifts at corners. It does make the clutch lighter, but will you miss it that sorely? I don't think so...
Thats a different perspective and make sense too. However i think only a test ride can help to better gauge the comfort factor of slipper clutch in reality. Anyway i think duke 390, especially the new one with increased seat height of 30mm could be bit too tall for me as im 5ft5.
Old 2nd December 2016, 21:53   #98
BHPian

Was watching a video of G310R in YouTube. Felt the bike is extremely well made, good fit and finishing. I noticed this component(see pic). couldn't guess what it is...please throw some light

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-capture1.jpg
Old 3rd December 2016, 00:19   #99
BHPian

Seems like an oil filter.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:24   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
This happens to be sold in India just because it is made here. If this was built in Europe, BMW wouldn't even have thought about selling this in India IMO.
Though we can expect some better refinement out of a BMW engine than KTM 390, I wouldn't expect stellar refinement from this bike either, considering that this is a 310cc single. The big bar end weights from the Apache RTR also confirm that
------

I seriously hope that separate dealership network and customer care (of BMW standards) are setup for this bike.

First regarding the sale in India. Every manufacturer is giving importance to development of entry level mid size and commuter oriented bikes in Developed markets because that is where the sales numbers are encouraging. That being said, Asia is clearly the emerging market and all companies have strategy to target Asia with entry level bikes which just happens to be relatively high performance bikes in our context. The kind of two wheeler sales happening in Asia would make the European and American market look like a tiny stamp on a large envelope. That being said the sales are more in the commuter class. However the engine capacity targeted by commuter class is also increasing(it was earlier 100 cc then 150cc and now growing, in an India context). Add to that the newly found enthusiasm for affordable performance bikes in markets like India (here performance is only a relative term). If BWM or any other manufacturer in that case has to drive numbers they have to do well in Asia. for that they need products suitable for Asian market which also doubles as the bikes newly in demand in Europe and America. if BWM wants to make a strong Asia presence which they really have to, they need an Asia specific machine which also fits well into their new developed market strategy. When talking about Asia none can afford to ignore India. If BWM wants and India entry (they have already confirmed about bringing most of the lineup to India) the best way to do that is to bring in an affordable bike which they are confident about driving numbers along with their more expensive models. So I do not think that G310 is going to be sold here just because its being produced in India. Even if it was being produced in Taiwan or some other low cost country(as for a cost sensitive segment that is key), if BWM wanted to be in India they surely would have bought this bike to India if they had it in their catalog.

Regarding dealerships: BWM would never dilute the brand. As per available info bikes would be sold through dedicated Motorrad showrooms and selected car dealers.

Regarding refinement: As you right mentioned, there is a limit to which single cylinder big engines can be refined. Here refinement would be totally relative.
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 15:55   #101
BHPian

Some reviews of the bike:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/12/1...mws-new-g310r/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/12/12/fi...-ktm-390-duke/

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...st-fast-facts/
driverabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 18:22   #102
BHPian

What would they still be testing, when the bike has been launched and is being exported abroad?

Found this on Motoroids, mentioning that the prototype is in the final stages of testing.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/bmw-g-...nch-this-year/

OT: Also, read that the Akula would be launching ahead of this. Wonder why?

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 17th January 2017 at 18:23.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 21:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
What would they still be testing, when the bike has been launched and is being exported abroad?
That is because of the extreme conditions of Indian roads mate. It's better that they launch the bike late, with all the issues ironed out, rather than launch the bike early with a bunch of problems

Cheers
Old 18th January 2017, 08:51   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
I noticed this component(see pic). couldn't guess what it is...please throw some light.
Attachment 1581665
Looks like the engine oil filter to me.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post

Found this on Motoroids, mentioning that the prototype is in the final stages of testing.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/bmw-g-...nch-this-year/

OT: Also, read that the Akula would be launching ahead of this. Wonder why?
Apparently, there were some problems with long term strength with a component.
Also, there were some feedback about the gear box from the reviewers from the media drive that happened in US.
I hope that all the problems/issues have been sorted out and the bike is going through the final stage of testing. BMW is expecting high from this bike. Also, this is being manufactured in India and people abroad are looking at this aspect with sharp eyes. Its important for the company to launch the bike with full proof quality.

Please go through some of the reviews posted online. You will get to know what I am trying to say.

Source of the information above were some German websites:
http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/b...a-1127916.html
driverabhi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed