Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2015, 23:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Ducati Scrambler 400 to be unveiled at EICMA 2015

If it turns out to be true, it would be so amazing. The classic styling and the iconic Ducati badge on a 400cc motorcycle- shut up and take my money!
Rumour: Ducati Scrambler 400 to be unveiled at EICMA 2015-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445104274.699829.jpg
Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/10/d...t-eicma-198725
Excerpts:
A new entry-level Ducati is expected to be unveiled at the 73rd Worldwide Motorcycle Exhibition 2015 (EICMA 2015) next month in the form of a Ducati Scrambler 400. It would be one of the nine premieres the Italian two-wheeler manufacturer has in store for the show next month.
The Scrambler 400 would be based on the existing 800 cc version's chassis, but likely reengineered to be lighter. The powertrain was earlier speculated to have a single-cylinder engine, but new reports claim that it would be twin-cylinder unit just like the current Scrambler's motor. It is also believed that the new 400 cc engine will have its roots from the 800 cc unit.
Given that the Ducati Scrambler 800 is priced in India at INR 6.77 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi), being imported via CKD route, the 400 cc model can be estimated to be priced at around INR 4.8 lakhs. This would position the new entry-level Ducati in the price segment in which the other models have a much larger engine displacement.
The smaller Scrambler would not only be more affordable but will be accessible to A2 license holders in Europe.
shyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 16:53   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Ducati Scrambler 400 to be unveiled at EICMA 2015

If the past is any indication, a 400cc version would make sense only for the Japanese (and Singapore) market. This is because of the tax & riding license laws in those countries.

Last time Ducati did something like this was in the late 90’s. They launched a 400cc Monster for Japan & Singapore at a time when rest of the world was riding a 600cc Monster.

IIRC ex-showroom price wise there was not a lot of difference but the CoE laws in Singapore meant that it was actually slightly cheaper on the road than the 600c version. At that time, only about 10% of all bike license owners had a license to buy & ride a 400cc bike. Many of those who had a license (e.g fresh college grads) had no money to buy one, and those who had the money (e.g. mid-life crises executives) had no license to buy one.

That’s the reason why that specific cubic capacity of 400cc is important in Japan & Singapore.

There are of course no such restrictions in our country, so I see no reasons for Ducati to cannibalise sales of the 803 Scrambler and launch a 400cc version at just a slightly cheaper price point. Makes no sense at all.

Secondly, I believe there is a law in India prohibiting import of bikes less than 800cc - the reason why we don't have a Moto Guzzi v7 Stone in India, so this 400cc Scrambler is not entering our country anytime soon.

Last edited by outofthebox : 18th October 2015 at 16:57. Reason: afterthought
outofthebox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 20:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
If the past is any indication, a 400cc version would make sense only for the Japanese (and Singapore) market. This is because of the tax & riding license laws in those countries.

Last time Ducati did something like this was in the late 90's. They launched a 400cc Monster for Japan & Singapore at a time when rest of the world was riding a 600cc Monster.

IIRC ex-showroom price wise there was not a lot of difference but the CoE laws in Singapore meant that it was actually slightly cheaper on the road than the 600c version. At that time, only about 10% of all bike license owners had a license to buy & ride a 400cc bike. Many of those who had a license (e.g fresh college grads) had no money to buy one, and those who had the money (e.g. mid-life crises executives) had no license to buy one.

That's the reason why that specific cubic capacity of 400cc is important in Japan & Singapore.

There are of course no such restrictions in our country, so I see no reasons for Ducati to cannibalise sales of the 803 Scrambler and launch a 400cc version at just a slightly cheaper price point. Makes no sense at all.

Secondly, I believe there is a law in India prohibiting import of bikes less than 800cc - the reason why we don't have a Moto Guzzi v7 Stone in India, so this 400cc Scrambler is not entering our country anytime soon.

Had no idea whatsoever! Thanks a lot for the informative post.
And now I know why the V7 wasn't launched here. This question had been plaguing me since the brand entered India. That is one of the most beautiful bikes on sale today!
So does that mean all the sub-800cc bikes on sale are assembled(CKD) here? And that the ban is just on CBU?
Old 18th October 2015, 21:27   #4
BHPian

re: Rumour: Ducati Scrambler 400 to be unveiled at EICMA 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
So does that mean all the sub-800cc bikes on sale are assembled(CKD) here? And that the ban is just on CBU?
Yes I believe so. This info about the Moto Guzzi V7 is straight from their India office, since I love the bike too and was hounding them about it's launch in India for a while.

Also, the Ducati CEO was recently asked about Ducati's plans vis-a-vis the BMW-TVS partnership to manufacturer lower cc bikes in India in an interview and his answer was a vehement NO.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 00:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, I believe there is a law in India prohibiting import of bikes less than 800cc.

I guess the ban is in place to protect the NON-EXISTANT local market! The Government needs to look at these laws again and revise them because the manufacturers haven't showed any motive to take advantage of it. Just look at UK, they have so many small-scale sports car makers. Why can't we with a much bigger population and land have atleast one! :'(
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ducati Scrambler 400 to be unveiled at EICMA 2015

Definitely a tempting proposition to get a more affordable Scrambler. Additionally, in international markets, the lower displacement will help Ducati reach out to its main target audience i.e. really young buyers (early 20's). In many cases, I believe riders who wanted the Scrambler 800 wouldn't be able to buy one because of the licence limitations (a hindrance we unfortunately do not face in India).

As outofthebox pointed out, I highly doubt this will be brought to India. Assuming the 400 would cost ~5 lakh in India, there would be a limited number of buyers who would spend that kind of money purely to own a Ducati, when there would be close competitors at more reasonable prices. Additionally, the 800 is an attainable Ducati, but is still expensive enough to maintain the snob value to make it desirable.

The only way I see the Scrambler 400 being offered here is if Ducati starts scale production for exports.

Last edited by Tushar : 19th October 2015 at 17:04.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Is this restricted for company import of CBUs? I am asking because I have imported a 650 cc bike in '93.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Is this restricted for company import of CBUs? I am asking because I have imported a 650 cc bike in '93.
No idea sir of the laws back in '93.

What I know now is that there is a duty which seems to be in the region of 80% for personal imports. A neighbour of mine recently imported an 80cc Scrambler for his son and paid a similar amount.

Most Viewed