Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 12:24   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India

Have been silently following this thread. Very interesting updates from you.

I am waiting for the TVS BMW machines and then planning to decide between both.
Old 6th December 2015, 21:31   #92
BHPian

Hello, any updates on how the bike is holding up? I took a test ride and was impressed. Not many owner reviews around, any issues faced? The test bike seem to have a loose self start connection, other than that a beauty to ride.
Old 7th December 2015, 12:11   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
I am waiting for the TVS BMW machines and then planning to decide between both.
Same state here!. I am postponing my bike purchase till that arrives. I am leaning towards TVS because it is a street fighter concept and would be helpful in as a primary mode of in-city transport. This is much more relaxed tourer, which doesn't mean that it cannot be used in city, but it is not built for it as far as I can speak from my short ride in Mojo.
santhosh_kumard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 16:25   #94
BHPian

Hello All,

I also test rode the Mojo from Whitefield.
However either bike needed a service badly or that's just the way it is designed to run. Felt jerks, not smooth at all, found the rear views wanting etc.

Still went ahead and booked the bike.

Now the piece of disturbing news..

Autocar (Arpit Philips) test rode the bike in Oct'15 during the media launch and as per the other riders came back impressed after a 600km ride with only issues being highlighted being the brakes, a sedate riders bike.

However, now in the Autocar Dec'15 edition, this same bike is compared to the Benelli TNT 300 and the same rider has highlighted two major flaws with the Mojo - Does not track straight after 30km (means constant corrections are required to keep the bike on the straight and narrow, a major flaw on a bike designed to be a tourer) and the second point being that it overheats. Again a major flaw.

My query is how can the same bike tested in Oct'15 pass with almost flying colors and come Dec'15 it's got two major flaws.
Wouldn't a 600km ride highlight these flaws.

Confused - conflicting views from the same source

Any thoughts....
sanjbmw2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 06:25   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello All,

I also test rode the Mojo from Whitefield.
However either bike needed a service badly or that's just the way it is designed to run. Felt jerks, not smooth at all, found the rear views wanting etc.

Still went ahead and booked the bike.

Now the piece of disturbing news..

Autocar (Arpit Philips) test rode the bike in Oct'15 during the media launch and as per the other riders came back impressed after a 600km ride with only issues being highlighted being the brakes, a sedate riders bike.

However, now in the Autocar Dec'15 edition, this same bike is compared to the Benelli TNT 300 and the same rider has highlighted two major flaws with the Mojo - Does not track straight after 30km (means constant corrections are required to keep the bike on the straight and narrow, a major flaw on a bike designed to be a tourer) and the second point being that it overheats. Again a major flaw.

My query is how can the same bike tested in Oct'15 pass with almost flying colors and come Dec'15 it's got two major flaws.
Wouldn't a 600km ride highlight these flaws.

Confused - conflicting views from the same source

Any thoughts....
I own the red mojo, and would like to point out that there is no such thing that I have observed about constant corrections to keep the bike straight.

Heating issues will be with any bike which is powerful. For example KTM too has this issue and so does the benelli. Powerful bikes tend to over heat in our stop go traffic. But frankly from what I have observed, bike does not over heat that much. It does not fry your leg like a KTM. Be rest assured you have made a wise decision by buying the MOJO.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 08:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I own the red mojo, and would like to point out that there is no such thing that I have observed about constant corrections to keep the bike straight.

Heating issues will be with any bike which is powerful. For example KTM too has this issue and so does the benelli. Powerful bikes tend to over heat in our stop go traffic. But frankly from what I have observed, bike does not over heat that much. It does not fry your leg like a KTM. Be rest assured you have made a wise decision by buying the MOJO.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think I'll change me mind on the bike.

However I am concerned of the journalistic aspect of Autocar. Same rider, same bike two vastly different viewpoints in a space of 2 months. This leaves room for a lot of speculation.
I also tweeted Autocar, am still to get a response.

Secondly - I can understand overheating issues in stop and go traffic conditions but it is not clear from the article if the overheating occurs on the highway too.

Really hope some of the early adopters of the bike can pen down their ownership observations - I think it will help a lot of folks sitting on the fence regarding the Mojo.

Cheers to All.
Old 14th December 2015, 17:53   #97
BHPian

Purely from a short test ride, although I did push it:

1) Extremely comfy seats and riding position
2) Very maneuverable. I own the 1st gen pulsar which I ride daily and I did not really feel at any loss of maneuverability. What a pleasant surprise for a bike that otherwise looks quite big
3) Very torquey. Duke 390 had blown me away but this was not bad at all either
4) Loved the sound, presence and the looks of the bike. Requesting future purchases to not meddle with the sound...it is loud enough already. Anything louder will be criminal. Is there any dearth of noise pollution already?
5) I agree with the 'daily commuter' comment in the review. It doesn't tug along in any gear. There is a complaining sound from the engine and a gear-shift is needed to keep it happy. This is what also adds to the heating issue as well..and reduce fuel-efficiency. But I reckon that is not what people look at in this segment. Thank god for the large fuel tank. My pulsar drinks in 18 big litres and I hated the small tank in Duke390.

Now the deal-breaker:
6) Regular braking was all fine but I had my-heart-in-my-mouth when I 'checked' the brakes, it was a clean stretch with no sand/mud and the rear wheel swayed like a boat in troubled high-seas. Lost its line...I was expecting the braking to be way better especially with those Pirelli's. Terribly disappointed on that front. In fact, I tried their scooter Gusto as well (for someone else) and was pleasantly surprised at how effective those 12 inch wheels and 130mm drum brakes were on the same stretch of-course for a much lighter bike!

Simply for point 5, I would wait for the ABS. Better braking is the sole reason that I am looking to get rid of my trusted partner for 13 years, the 1st gen pulsar.

Overall, well done Mahindra. It is still a good buy at the current price point but one has to know the braking capabilities well and ride accordingly.
zing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 20:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Now the deal-breaker:
6) Regular braking was all fine but I had my-heart-in-my-mouth when I 'checked' the brakes, it was a clean stretch with no sand/mud and the rear wheel swayed like a boat in troubled high-seas. Lost its line...
Thanks for quick n to the point review mate.

It appears that you managed to lock your rear wheel while braking? If that's the case then I don't think it's a Mojo specific issue - wheel locking will happen with any bike big or small if rear brakes are not applied judiciously.

ABS is indeed a solution to this issue, but a good rider should always practise and polish up correct braking techniques. One never knows when technology will fail.

I'm sure you already know that front brakes provide more than 70% of stopping power of any bike regardless of type. Situations where 100% of a bike's stopping power is needed should be restricted to cases of dire emergency.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:29   #99
BHPian

Hello,

Anyone have any news on the accessories for the Mojo.

I saw the saddle bag and tank bag in the showroom.

The saddle bag is very similar to the viaterra rapide and also the same price point.

Any idea on the centre stand, saree guard etc.

The website does not have such information.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello,

Anyone have any news on the accessories for the Mojo.

I saw the saddle bag and tank bag in the showroom.

The saddle bag is very similar to the viaterra rapide and also the same price point.

Any idea on the centre stand, saree guard etc.

The website does not have such information.
You need to get in touch with your nearest dealer, they will explain you about all the accessories available for the Mojo. The Saree Guard comes as a standard fitting along with the bike (it's not an extra accessory), your bike might not have it installed, you should ask your dealer to fit the bike with the saree guard before taking delivery (that's what I did and the job was done promptly). Regarding centre stand, there is no such accessory available as of now but you can always buy an Paddock stand and use it to dock your Mojo. They cost about 2.6K and can be procured from GA Engineering.

-Funny
Funny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 09:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
100% of a bike's stopping power is needed should be restricted to cases of dire emergency.
OutOfTheBox. And yes, it was the "emergency readiness" scenario that I was testing here!

Given the amount of dust/sand/mud on Bangalore roads, combined with ever-rash riders, cabbies, autos making sudden twists and turns, I have increasingly felt the need for better response from a bike in the case of emergency braking. Where mojo failed me was that the response was worse than my pulsar...which is also explainable. It is a heavier bike, so has higher momentum for a given speed. Plus, since the disc brakes stop the tire effectively, the momentum translates into easier skidding. A soft-compound and broad tire is supposed to conquer that...which didn't happen effectively in my view.

From a bike that can accelerate that fast, I definitely look for better braking capabilities in an emergency situation. The duke390 ABS, also due to its light weight and sticky Metzelers...does very well here.

I repeat, however, that Mojo is still a very competent bike at that price point...
Old 15th December 2015, 22:26   #102
BHPian

Mojo Owners,

What was the ODO reading while taking delivery of your MOJO? How can we decode the VIN? My bike showed 14kms on ODO with a top speed recorded at 161kmph. Is it normal? The SA told that the top speed test is done by the factory guys and its normal. Is it so? Initially I didn't think much about it, but now I think that my PDI was was a mess and I've been taken for a ride.
Also I feel the gear shifts (especially down-shifts) aren't smooth, they are hard and they make a noise like thud while down-shifting. Is it normal or should I get it checked?
Old 16th December 2015, 09:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Mojo Owners,

What was the ODO reading while taking delivery of your MOJO? How can we decode the VIN? My bike showed 14kms on ODO with a top speed recorded at 161kmph. Is it normal? The SA told that the top speed test is done by the factory guys and its normal. Is it so? Initially I didn't think much about it, but now I think that my PDI was was a mess and I've been taken for a ride.
Also I feel the gear shifts (especially down-shifts) aren't smooth, they are hard and they make a noise like thud while down-shifting. Is it normal or should I get it checked?
I believe that bike vins follow the same as the cars. Thus the below link is from this site for a Mahindra car. Perhaps it may help you to decode your mojo's vin?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...e-vin-131.html
Old 17th December 2015, 20:53   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Mojo Owners,

That not possible. My bike had 25 kms and the top speed was 45kmh only. Some one from the dealership might have ripped your bike for testing. I don't think this kind of testing is ever done on new bike. Who was the Dealer for your Mojo?

jaysmokesleaves - it was nice meeting you during the ride, are you not updating your thread?
Old 19th December 2015, 17:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Not been riding much due to work but i completed 1500 kms about a week ago.
1st service was done at 800 kms.
The bike now feels very 'free' revving. You can Putter around all day at 100-120 kph without stressing the engine or yourself. Ideal for touring.

Regarding concerns posted by some members here, following is my feedback.
The bike tracks in a straight line at all speeds even after any number of kms.
Went for a long fast ride one morning with a bunch of fellow Mojo'ites. Rode the bike upto 7500 rpm on all gears.
Since I ride hard on all gears including a lot of engine braking I got 20kpl approx. Note, this is constant high revving riding primarily up shifting at high revs and revving prior to downshifting to match the rpm at high speeds. Average riding under 110kmph without much engine braking gives about 35kmpl.
The Mojo engine didn't skip a beat even once. Drop a gear or 2 and the bike will pull you through almost all situations at high speeds.
Max I managed was 145kph due to a lot of wind drag. Leaning into the tank could touch 150 plus but I don't like leaning forward and riding.

Negative observations:
Cornering on the left is very risky. The side stand comes into contact with the tarmac long before u scrape the footer. This can result in sparks flying and also make the bike unstable if you don't control the lean angle to within the side stand parameters. I find this quite dangerous. Have given feedback to Mahindra and hopefully they will redesign the side stand.
If you are cornering on tarmac which slopes upwards on the side side then u can't lean much into a corner without sidestand contact with the road. Leaning to the right in a similar fashion causes the exhaust protector (guard) to come in contact before the footpeg scrapes the road. This can be achieved even at speeds about 100 kmph of you are riding on twisted roads like mentioned above. For bikers familiar with Mumbai, this happened while riding through Charoti.
Note, and these are definitely not extreme leaning angles I'm talking about.

One may ask, where is the need to corner so much. Well, considering that this is a tourer and one would ride fast and hard sometimes.
The Mojo excels in straight line riding and the upright stance allows for relaxed riding.

Vibrations:
No vibrations are felt on the handlebars and footpegs at all speeds and all rpm. However, if you stick your knees to the tank you can feel strong vibes from 95kph onwards or approx 5k rpm onwards all the way till the end of the rev range. The dampers used on the Mojo do a good job of isolating the vibes to the handlebar and footpegs though.
However, I would prefer not feeling any vibes on the tank though, especially when doing high speeds or riding in cold weather and you try to stick your knees in and your knees get massaged, it's very irritating.

If you use a tank bag on a long ride, then these vibes might result in scratches on the tank. So some kind of tank protection will be necessary.

I hear a knocking sound on idling rpm sometimes which comes and goes. Sounds like khad khad khad khad. I'm not sure what it is but will have it inspected. It does not feel like a cause for concern though since it comes intermittently.
The engine note while riding is very good. The exhaust note with the db killers on is loud and sweet enough and does grab a lot of attention.
Once again, the riding posture on the Mojo does feel very relaxed for touring.

City riding:
After 1st service the bike feels much more conformable to ride especially since I don't have to stick to 5k rpm.

Some more winter rides planned for next month, I will update thereafter.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 19th December 2015 at 17:52.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks