Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2016, 23:03   #121
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India

Does anyone know when the Mojo will be available in Chennai ?
I need to ride this bike asap to decide. The TVS BMW seems an option too.
Old 21st January 2016, 10:58   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Does anyone know when the Mojo will be available in Chennai ?
I need to ride this bike asap to decide. The TVS BMW seems an option too.
It'll take a while to launch in Chennai. The nearest location to test ride would be Bangalore. We have 3 showrooms here which offer test rides for Mojo.

Slightly OT: Bangalore MojoTribe has planned a Republic-Day ride, if any Bangalore Mojo owners are interested, kindly PM me to get further details.

-Funny
Old 25th January 2016, 10:07   #123
BHPian

@JaySmokesLeaves:

The Mojo has always been on my mind since the day it launched and your thread just triggered the "Khujli" inside me.
There was an even in our office Campus and Mojo was on display. I met them, had a word and visited the showroom in Domlur (Bangalore) the next day for a test ride. I rode the bike for about 10 kilometers with no pillion.
Whoa, I totally loved this bike. I ride a CBR250R and this was a completely different beast altogether. I am on the verge of trading in my CBR for this mainly because I have developed a lot of shoulder pain issues in the past 2 months and the Mojo gave me none. Have submitted an approval with the Cabinet minister at home, waiting for approval.

2 Quick questions:
1. The TD bike I rode had quite bad braking. The front brakes even though huge, did not have that bite. It felt very spongy. Could it have been because it was a TD bike or is this the case with all Mojo's.

2. The sales guy told me that the ABS version is still under testing and will take a year to launch into the market (maybe he was just trying to make a sale) but also confirmed 100% that the ABS can be retrofitted on the non-ABS bikes. IMHO, retrofitting an ABS involves a lot of electronic work and messing arounf with the ECU as well. I am not sure how feasible this is.

Any pointers ?
Old 25th January 2016, 14:34   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
@JaySmokesLeaves:

The Mojo has always been on my mind since the day it launched and your thread just triggered the "Khujli" inside me.
There was an even in our office Campus and Mojo was on display. I met them, had a word and visited the showroom in Domlur (Bangalore) the next day for a test ride. I rode the bike for about 10 kilometers with no pillion.
Whoa, I totally loved this bike. I ride a CBR250R and this was a completely different beast altogether. I am on the verge of trading in my CBR for this mainly because I have developed a lot of shoulder pain issues in the past 2 months and the Mojo gave me none. Have submitted an approval with the Cabinet minister at home, waiting for approval.

2 Quick questions:
1. The TD bike I rode had quite bad braking. The front brakes even though huge, did not have that bite. It felt very spongy. Could it have been because it was a TD bike or is this the case with all Mojo's.

2. The sales guy told me that the ABS version is still under testing and will take a year to launch into the market (maybe he was just trying to make a sale) but also confirmed 100% that the ABS can be retrofitted on the non-ABS bikes. IMHO, retrofitting an ABS involves a lot of electronic work and messing arounf with the ECU as well. I am not sure how feasible this is.

Any pointers ?
Let me add in some points..
1. It's a common behaviour of the Mojo. The front brakes are set as progressive, while the rear brake is set as sharp. But the TD mojo might have been abused more so you can expect better front brake feel from a new bike.
2. ABS version is supposed to be launched within this year itself. Retrofitting ABS is going to be a costly affair AFAIK.

Regards,
~Funny
Old 28th January 2016, 23:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delayed reply.
ABS cannot be retrofitted. It will require a change in ECU. The ABS bike will surely be different from the current Mojo. Mahindra will hopefully try to iron out the flaws in the current Mojo.

Brakes look good but don't function as per the looks. I will call them lazy brakes. It takes time getting used to the progressive nature.
The rear brakes lock almost instantly if u brake hard.
If you are a sedate rider then hard braking situations should not be a cause for worry since u mostly
won't have any.

Buy the buy for what it is and not what it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
@JaySmokesLeaves:

2 Quick questions:

Any pointers ?
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 07:47   #126
BHPian

I saw some ads of the Mojo in Chennai on their Poonamalee road, Anna Nagar showrooms.
Will do a test ride soon.
Old 21st February 2016, 08:47   #127
BANNED

Hey, that is good news and worth following up.
I see that the bike has a lot of detractors who find it not quite matching up to their expectations!
As Jay has put it, we must enjoy the offerings rather than harp on the missing bits.
Old 11th March 2016, 12:04   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Not been riding much due to work but i completed 1500 kms about a week ago.
Some more winter rides planned for next month, I will update thereafter.
Jay, where is the update, that you promised us? How is the Bike Holding up?
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 20:51   #129
BHPian

Small update, was really busy, so had to cancel both my test rides, booked a red Mojo, delivery mid-end April.
And went ahead to get a TB500 too, this i might change for a Conti GT (Classic bikes has promised a weekend with the GT)
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:02   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed reply.
ABS cannot be retrofitted. It will require a change in ECU. The ABS bike will surely be different from the current Mojo. Mahindra will hopefully try to iron out the flaws in the current Mojo.
Dear Jaysmokesleaves and other Mojo owners,

Although I am keenly following each and every post in this thread, I am sorry for bumping into this thread very late.

Just would like to ask one FAQ here.

During a couple of marathon rides in last couple of years, I have been 'screamingly' overtaken by Mojo test riders.

Being an ardent fan of Suzuki Inazuma (which is owned by my best friend), I have been tracing the development of Mojo since past few years, and even more so in recent 2 years.

On paper, it really aligns with Inazuma and I am pretty much convinced that I will upgrade to only this bike from my current GS150R/RE TS350 (2005).

It will be great if you share your perspective on the after sales and service of Mahindra in detail. How frequent is wear is tear of the mechanical parts, any headaches for making the parts available, overall ease/difficulty of maintenance etc.

Being a Suzuki and RE owner for 12 years, I have already gone through a lot. Just checking, if I would have to continue doing that.

Regards,
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Jay, where is the update, that you promised us? How is the Bike Holding up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beco View Post

It will be great if you share your perspective on the after sales and service of Mahindra in detail. How frequent is wear is tear of the mechanical parts, any headaches for making the parts available, overall ease/difficulty of maintenance etc.

Regards,
OK. So here is my update after using the Mojo a fair bit. 6 months is a fairly good time to write about it.

Engine - The engine is good but low down torque is absent so you cannot expect to be puttering around like a commuter bike in a higher gear in the city. You have to be in the right gear at or above 3k rpm.
A specific engine clatter that sounds like a specific knocking sound from the engine has been reported by me and a few others. This comes on idle and sounds like taka taka taka.. its rhythmic and annoying.
A whistling sound from the fuel pump has been reported by me and a few others. The initial whistle is supposed to come only once when you turn on the ignition. But this whistle ive reported is continuous and can be heard inside my helmet while riding.
Mahindra has promised to solve both issues so im waiting for that to happen.

Gearbox - gearing is crisp. No issues reported there.

Brakes - This bike has NO brakes. Almost all the Mojo owners including myself have complained about this. The brake pads wear out in around 2k kms. They dont wear out, they actually harden and are practically useless. Mahindra has done nothing to address this via a recall or anything. They replace the pads at customer cost.
The ABS version will make it worse because there will be absolutely no bite from the existing pads and then you add ABS. WOW!

Suspension - Suspension is fine. Rear bottoms out in the stock settings and needs to be adjusted according to your weight and requirement. It requires a special spanner and cannot be a DIY job unless u have the special tool. Mahindra service has only one per service center
Front suspension is fine. I have no complaints yet.

Steering/ handling - At high speeds taking a corner there is no steering response. Its like the bike does not want to turn and you have the handle in your hand and the tire is doing its own thing. Its a very disconnected feeling. Following feedback from fellow riders, Ive changed the stock setting by dropping the fork by about 1cm and it has helped... a bit. Will drop 1 cm more and try again.
I will need to make some more adjustments till im comfortable with it.

Vibrations - It seems to me that Mahindra has built the bike with a lot of dampers. There are rubber dampers everywhere for everything. On one fast ride, my handlebar counter weight fell off and another chap lost his muffler cover. So, the bike has a lot of vibes which is well damped. But with prolonged usage as the rubber dampers harden and lose their elasticity, its anyones guess. My opinion is that a well engineered product will have low vibes to start with thereby reducing the need for damping. Mahindra were developing this bike for 5 years (sarcasm)
Having said that, these vibes are not felt unless you are pushing the bike at higher rpm's in gear. For sedate riding you dont feel it.

Electricals - The lights are practically useless. twin bugle eye headlights with absolutely no focus, spread or intensity. It is the first thing you will need to upgrade if you ride at night.
I have had no electrical issues at all yet.

Seats - The seat is not designed for a pillion. the pillion end tapers out exactly at the tailbone and is quite painful. The stylish grabrails are practically useless. The seat needs to be redesigned with a broader rear end and possibly with a backrest (offered as an accessory) to prevent the pillion from suffering in the seat.
The front seat is supremely comfortable, but if you are riding long distance, it could be a bit more firm.

Tires - The Diablo Rosso II tires are the only thing that keep this bike on the road. Im not sure about how it will handle with less sticky tires.

Performance - You can expect about 25-30 kpl with sedate riding at speeds within 120kph without revving to the higher rpm range in any gear, riding like a good boy.
Push the bike hard across all gears and you can expect 15 - 18 kpl.
Top speed ive attained is 151 kph, though some lighter riders have reported touching 160.
At speeds above 120, the wind blast is incredible due to the upright seating on the bike. You must have a very snug fit helmet. No windshield available as an accessory by Mahindra.

I love the engine braking on this bike, (thats the only working brake) and thats my basic riding style.
The exhaust note is sweet and if you are in a mood for some fun, remove the DB killers and it sounds like a chopper speeding in the air. Quite entertaining.

If you plan to buy the Mojo you may want to consider a few things.

1. Service support is spartan, though increasing. They have 2 service centers in Bombay to cater to all the Mojo ites. Having said that, the service support seems good as of now, with Mahindra service managers seemingly attentive to customer input and problems with their bikes. Service is much better than the other Mahindra offerings for now and service interval is 6k kms, so thats good. We also have a Mahindra Gusto in the family and trust me, the service is truly pathetic for that scooter.

2. Very expensive parts. You better not drop this bike and you better buy zero dep insurance. The tank will set you back by 21k. Silencers cost almost 48k. The front fork assembly costs a whooping 60k. At these approx prices, I think i paid Mahindra only for the Fork, silencers, tires, seat and some other small stuff. They gave me the engine and chassis for free. Though i believe the parts prices may drop as they sell more bikes across the country.

3. Considering that the bike is a fairly new offering from Mahindra, expect about atleast 1 weeks downtime in the workshop if they have to wait for specific non routine parts (if you drop the bike). Mechanically, there are no known failures reported yet (in Bombay).

Current verdict - The bike is good and fun to ride. Makes you want to corner hard but you cant due to a poorly designed sidestand.
Having positioned this as a tourer there is almost no accessory support from Mahindra. Whatever few they have come up with are more like a rushed attempt to make some stuff available and do not suit the bike and poorly designed without much thought (like the pillion section of the seat).
Without the DB killers it will certainly get you a lot of eyeballs. The audio has hit the sweetspot - not too loud and annoying but just about there. ( forget about RE's - they sound like the flintstones)

For solo touring this bike is very good. I enjoy riding it, whenever i do.
I have not faced any niggles other than the 2 reported above and Mahindra service managers have promised to solve it.
Though they havnt done it when i sent it to them the first time (typical Mahindra) but have assured me that they will when i take it back to them.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd April 2016 at 18:45.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK. So here is my update after using the Mojo a fair bit. 6 months is a fairly good time to write about it.
Excellent update, not your typical "look my bike is so cool, its the best" type of deal but a rather balanced one

The exhaust and sidestand scraping is definitely an issue that should be addressed by Mahindra. This is just poor designing

Have you thought of replacing the exhaust with an aftermarket unit? Hopefully one that sits higher than the current one so that the scraping is eliminated? Come to think of it, are there aftermarket exhausts available for Mojo yet? This alone should also help shave off 5 - 10 kilos easy. The current design is just too bulky IMO. Twin pipes on a single cylinder, 'nuf said

For the brakes, time to go aftermarket here too? Maybe some sintered pads? A Bhpian got one for his Duke 390 and was all praise for it. Was not cheap though

Ride safe and keep the updates coming bud!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Excellent update, not your typical "look my bike is so cool, its the best" type of deal but a rather balanced one
+1 Agree to that! Review is an eye opener especially the bit about how expensive parts are. Are they not locally manufactured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
For the brakes, time to go aftermarket here too? Maybe some sintered pads? A Bhpian got one for his Duke 390 and was all praise for it. Was not cheap though
Could you share some details? I recently bought an RC390 and get this feeling that the brakes are good but not good enough for the power on offer. Boy this is one gnarly little machine!
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:46   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Could you share some details? I recently bought an RC390 and get this feeling that the brakes are good but not good enough for the power on offer. Boy this is one gnarly little machine!
Hey Ishaan - a fellow member got the ebc sintered front pads for Rs 1800 or so. Should be available online

And congrats on the RC. Ride hard n ride safe!
Old 23rd April 2016, 10:29   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent update. Thanks a ton. Surely added an additional perspective of long term review.
Quote:
Engine - The engine is good but low down torque is absent so you cannot expect to be puttering around like a commuter bike in a higher gear in the city. You have to be in the right gear at or above 3k rpm.
A specific engine clatter that sounds like a specific knocking sound from the engine has been reported by me and a few others. This comes on idle and sounds like taka taka taka.. its rhythmic and annoying.
I wonder if this tappet sound. It is there in most new generation RE bikes.

Quote:
A whistling sound from the fuel pump has been reported by me and a few others. The initial whistle is supposed to come only once when you turn on the ignition. But this whistle ive reported is continuous and can be heard inside my helmet while riding.
Mahindra has promised to solve both issues so im waiting for that to happen.
Do you think this has anything to do with the dampers you mentioned in this post? If not, do you think ECU needs to be tweaked? Just thinking aloud.

Quote:
Brakes - This bike has NO brakes. Almost all the Mojo owners including myself have complained about this. The brake pads wear out in around 2k kms. They dont wear out, they actually harden and are practically useless. Mahindra has done nothing to address this via a recall or anything. They replace the pads at customer cost.
This is the most fundamental issue you have raised and hence very concerning. Only R&D would know the honest answers. Most likely the weight and load of the bike could be the base cause to blame for?

Quote:
Suspension - Suspension is fine. Rear bottoms out in the stock settings and needs to be adjusted according to your weight and requirement. It requires a special spanner and cannot be a DIY job unless u have the special tool. Mahindra service has only one per service center
Oh no! Not again!

Quote:
Steering/ handling - At high speeds taking a corner there is no steering response. Its like the bike does not want to turn and you have the handle in your hand and the tire is doing its own thing. Its a very disconnected feeling. Following feedback from fellow riders, Ive changed the stock setting by dropping the fork by about 1cm and it has helped... a bit. Will drop 1 cm more and try again.
I will need to make some more adjustments till im comfortable with it.
Very very strange. If the motorcycle had any history of frontal impact, then I reckon it is malfunctioning of the under bracket.

Quote:
Electricals - The lights are practically useless. twin bugle eye headlights with absolutely no focus, spread or intensity. It is the first thing you will need to upgrade if you ride at night.
I have had no electrical issues at all yet.
I instantaneously agreed with your first post in this thread..you need at least one projector lamp. Companies like TVS, Hero have come up a long way to ensure the headlamp light throw is sufficiently bright and focused. This is eventually going to get worse over the period of time.

Quote:
Seats - The seat is not designed for a pillion. the pillion end tapers out exactly at the tailbone and is quite painful. The stylish grabrails are practically useless. The seat needs to be redesigned with a broader rear end and possibly with a backrest (offered as an accessory) to prevent the pillion from suffering in the seat.
The front seat is supremely comfortable, but if you are riding long distance, it could be a bit more firm.
For a 'commutourer', it should have been addressed. Thankfully, there are lot of sophisticated after market options and can be worked out. Backrest and grab rails are not going to help.

Quote:
Performance - You can expect about 25-30 kpl with sedate riding at speeds within 120kph without revving to the higher rpm range in any gear, riding like a good boy.
Push the bike hard across all gears and you can expect 15 - 18 kpl.
Surprising! (in a negative way).

Quote:
1. Service support is spartan, though increasing. They have 2 service centers in Bombay to cater to all the Mojo ites. Having said that, the service support seems good as of now, with Mahindra service managers seemingly attentive to customer input and problems with their bikes. Service is much better than the other Mahindra offerings for now and service interval is 6k kms, so thats good. We also have a Mahindra Gusto in the family and trust me, the service is truly pathetic for that scooter.

3. Considering that the bike is a fairly new offering from Mahindra, expect about atleast 1 weeks downtime in the workshop if they have to wait for specific non routine parts (if you drop the bike). Mechanically, there are no known failures reported yet (in Bombay).
Recently Mahindra had to close one of the SCs in Pune. Now there is just a single station for whole Pune. This is going to be little frustrating for sure.
Beco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed