Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 22:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA

Just curious to know if anyone happen to notice, the new brake and clutch lever setup. There seems to be the "ADJUSTABLE" option only on the right side (brake lever) and not on the clutch lever and looking closely, the L bend is more weighed in towards the right side as opposed to the left side. Also there is no adjustment ring on the clutch lever and the lever looks same as the standard ones (or that's what as much my headlights can focus on)

Cheers!
VJ
Old 18th November 2015, 23:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Just curious to know if anyone happen to notice, the new brake and clutch lever setup. There seems to be the "ADJUSTABLE" option only on the right side (brake lever) and not on the clutch lever and looking closely,
Spot on. Most so-called entry level superbikes also come with a similar config. Brakes adjustable, which is a huge boon if one uses different types of gloves, and the clutch not.
Old 19th November 2015, 00:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Just curious to know if anyone happen to notice, the new brake and clutch lever setup. There seems to be the "ADJUSTABLE" option only on the right side (brake lever) and not on the clutch lever and looking closely, the L bend is more weighed in towards the right side as opposed to the left side. Also there is no adjustment ring on the clutch lever and the lever looks same as the standard ones (or that's what as much my headlights can focus on)

Cheers!
VJ
From what I see, the 'adjuster' ring seems to be hidden under the 'cover' on the clutch lever side

The 'bulge' of the ring can be seen in this pic under the cover,
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc3909.jpg

If I'm not wrong, the adjuster ring can be seen under the cover if you zoom-in a bit,
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc3907.jpg

Moreover, KTM have clearly mentioned the below in their website,
Quote:
HAND LEVERS
For MY 2016 the clutch and the brake lever are adjustable, to get the pressure points exactly to where the rider wants them.
But yes, the clutch lever looks like the standard one.

Last edited by theredliner : 19th November 2015 at 00:23.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 00:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yayy! Though I did took a close view of the last pic earlier, I was just skeptical that the lever just might not be adjustable.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 02:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly if the ride by wire is brought into the naked 390 can we expect a cruise control? All said and done the ride by wire makes it easier for lots of electronic manipulation and i believe the next upgrade in the 390 will be around Cruise control and probably traction control as well.

I can only see 390 getting better each year and making it 100% Indian manufactured means paying sane price.

For those who are new to ride by wire, this is basically ECU taking over your acceleration and the physical wire simply works on the actuator for electrical input into ECU.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 09:23   #21
BHPian

KTM is hitting all the right notes with these updates. There is no doubt the price will go up, atleast 15-20000 if I were to guess. But these updates will be worthy even at that price.

Few things that have caught my attention (as an existing owner wishing to upgrade to these new bits)

1) The bigger front floating disk- A question though. If old KTM is fitted with this would the re-calibration for ABS be required, considering the forces would change. The physics is confusing here, but something tell me the whole abs unit will have to be changed.

2) Under body cowl/fairing- Any old user who has taken the RC to track would know how easily under body cowl crapes, I does unnerve you. One can always take the cowl out but it would be nice to have some substitute part there. I believe this should be an easy swap with the new one. ( Personal note: I just love how the existing one blends into the whole styling element embedding the exhaust with in to give such a clean look)

3) Slipper clutch- Tbhpians are already getting it retro fitted so this is no biggie. Price would have to be taken into consideration though.

4) Rear view mirrors- Indeed, new ones look much more useful but not as edgy and impractical as old ones

5) Adjustable Levers- These are the first on the list. and would be the most cost effective upgrade.

6) Up swept Exhaust- This is something that I am very curious about. Again a conjecture but this should sound more throaty(without getting into the physics all the acoustics, only time will tell). But wont be worth upgrading just for the sound.

7) Ride by wire- Never ridden one, so no comments here. but surely will be expensive

P.S: One thing i would like to add here is the rear suspension. This is something KTM should consider upgrading aswell if not now, hopefully in future. The preload just isnt enough, I am at 8 preload and things are still not ok, maybe a better spring or compression and rebound adjust-ability would sort things out, but considereing they have made some track worthy changes here, rear shock should be considered too.

Last edited by mehuel : 20th November 2015 at 09:34.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 10:40   #22
BHPian

Also noticed that the brakes on the new RC390 are by Brembo; if I remember correctly, the earlier ones were by ByBre (which is a subsidiary of Brembo, catering to lower cost parts). Hopefully this means that the braking on the RC 390 would improve tremendously.

Also noticed that only the RC 390 is getting the love from KTM, the rest of the RCs (125, 200) are hardly getting any changes.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Also noticed that the brakes on the new RC390 are by Brembo; if I remember correctly, the earlier ones were by ByBre (which is a subsidiary of Brembo, catering to lower cost parts). Hopefully this means that the braking on the RC 390 would improve tremendously.

Also noticed that only the RC 390 is getting the love from KTM, the rest of the RCs (125, 200) are hardly getting any changes.
ByBre stands for By Brembo
b16h22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 16:57   #24
BHPian

I love the KTM RC Series. Other companies are trying to jack of all trades. And as they say, they are master of none. KTM is trying to do one thing and they are bloody good at it. It's still the most powerful bike with the highest power to weight ratio, has a host of goodies not seen on bikes even thrice the cost (Ride by wire, slipper clutch etc) and looks very modern and evil. Haters gonna hate, but KTM has taken the level way forward for competition to catch on to. Oh did i mention, it's the least expensive in it's class?
emperorofindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:59   #25
BHPian

KTM so far has given everything but the kitchen sink at the price it offers it products but has done really nothing to improve the places where these machines need to be up kept. The service centres have really ruined my 390 experience so far and i hate them for that.

Wish they revamp their folks asap. I love these bikes
Old 22nd November 2015, 15:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
KTM so far has given everything but the kitchen sink at the price it offers it products but has done really nothing to improve the places where these machines need to be up kept. The service centres have really ruined my 390 experience so far and i hate them for that.

Wish they revamp their folks asap. I love these bikes
The rims.

Have they really improved in the newer machines ?

Is the relatively "tame" er nature of the RCs partly to do with heavier newer rims?
Old 25th November 2015, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys notice that the levers are not just adjustable but the snap-off kind?

There is a part-way cut in the lever near the ball end where the lever is supposed to shear off at in case of a fall. Thus still giving you enough lever to use unlike if an uncontrolled break took of the majority of the lever arm.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Did you guys notice that the levers are not just adjustable but the snap-off kind?

There is a part-way cut in the lever near the ball end where the lever is supposed to shear off at in case of a fall. Thus still giving you enough lever to use unlike if an uncontrolled break took of the majority of the lever arm.
Doc, I thought KTM always came with those kind of levers. The levers on my 200 have the same kind of marks.

--Anoop
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

For what it's worth, the guys at the KTM showroom in Indiranagar say that the new RCs should be out by around April '16.
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
For what it's worth, the guys at the KTM showroom in Indiranagar say that the new RCs should be out by around April '16.
You are correct about the dates. Seems the guys at the Pune facility are still testing the new software that goes into the ECU. Minor issues which they will be ironing out by the end of the month and put it to test later. So a month from there to put the actual into the bikes and delivery at the dealership would take another month. Bikes manufactured during March may come with the changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks