Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Govt mulls over separate driving licence for high-end bikes

I think it is a smart move, if implemented properly (no under the table deal for getting the licence without even seeing the bilke, as it still happens some places in India)

Govt should go the European/UK way of allowing only bikes <125cc for the first year and then for next year only <250cc then graduating to higher capacity bikes.

DRL's and mandatory ABS also for bikes are a welcome move

Also I think, it should be mandated to wear saftey accessories for bikes of higher capacity atleast. (eventhough most of the educated bikers wear it, I have seen >1000cc superbikes zooming through our broken roads at unmentionable speeds with riders even not wearing a helmet )

My 2 cents,

Asish.
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

The motive is awesome! However we have a beast/devil called "System" that will defeat the purpose from the start.

Son's of Rich daddy's will throw in the greenbacks and the babu fiefdom is going to go bonkers over it and grant licenses to Tom Dick & Harry's who get a bike and who may NOT be capable of handling it responsibly.

What good is a separate license when the mindset is the same?
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:55   #33
BHPian

Re: Government planning to introduce a separate license for bikes over 500 cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
An official of the road transport ministry was quoted saying that the current Indian license holder can ride any motorcycle, including superbikes and this is one of the reasons for rising number of road accidents. He further added that merely having a driver’s license should not make one eligible to ride a superbike.

The authorities are working on a plan which can reduce these numbers by at least half in the next five years. The list of measures will include new safety norms such as compulsory ABS and daylight running lights. Of the 4.89 lakh road accidents in India, 27% account for two wheeler accidents.
Is the government suggesting that 50% of the two wheeler accidents in India involve super bikes? Or is the term superbike (as is the norm) being used loosely.

Superbike owners standout because of the bikes, but i am not convinced that from a percentage standpoint they are any higher in terms of accidents or fatality than commuter bikes.

I am not against the idea, but like most have already suggested on this thread, the first thing to be addressed is the basic testing process we have for license in India. The basic license testing should be more stringent, and i do not see why only for two wheelers, it should be for all vehicles.

As an existing owner of a superbike, i think this will just end up being another way for the police to harass riders and RTO agents to generate extra cash.

Last edited by A_v_i : 2nd December 2015 at 15:56.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
An official of the road transport ministry was quoted saying that the current Indian license holder can ride any motorcycle, including super bikes and this is one of the reasons for rising number of road accidents.
Last year about 16 Million two wheelers were sold in the country. Considering last year was the best year ever for premium bikes in the country and stretching the definition a little bit, not even 5000 such bikes were sold of those 16Million.

That brings the percentage of such bikes to 0.0003%. The actual number should be much, much lower - this is just a back-of-the-cigarette-packet estimate.

And this official claims that super bikes are accounting for rising number of accidents??!! This official needs to be fired immediately.

I believe majority of the 2 wheeler accidents in our country are caused by the likes of this gentleman in the picture and clearly he is not a superbike rider.

Govt mulls over separate driving licence for high-end bikes-roadsafety.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Last year about 16 Million two wheelers were sold in the country. Considering last year was the best year ever for premium bikes in the country and stretching the definition a little bit, not even 5000 such bikes were sold of those 16Million.

That brings the percentage of such bikes to 0.0003%. The actual number should be much, much lower - this is just a back-of-the-cigarette-packet estimate.

And this official claims that super bikes are accounting for rising number of accidents??!! This official needs to be fired immediately.

I believe majority of the 2 wheeler accidents in our country are caused by the likes of this gentleman in the picture and clearly he is not a superbike rider.

It is kind of like, when tinted windows were banned. Due to crime happening inside vehicles. I really doubt so many crimes were happening inside dark cars, that they banned high % film on car windows.
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post

Exactly! Just a convenient escape for the govt. They will gather accolades for this idea, while the accidents on the roads won't reduce. A better plan would be implementing better education and implementing strict fines for speeding, helmet less riding and linking challans with insurance premiums. Forget no-claim bonus, no challans - not even a parking ticket - will lower your premium more significantly!
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:36   #37
BHPian

This is a great move in the right direction. However, its effectiveness hinges on these factors:

(1) Power output and more importantly, power to weight ratio of the motorcycle should be factored in for the licensing system. Today we have superb motorcycles in the 400 CC region that require respect from the riders. These beauties can seriously bite back if handled improperly. At the same time, they reward the expert rider immensely. So the graded licensing system needs to factor in that part than the CC. Engine CC is obsolete considering motorcycle technology developments. There are 125 CC Aprilias which can shame bikes with three times its cubic capacity output.

(2) This is more important than point (1). Enforcement of the law. As much as I love motorcycling, it's frustrating to see outright flouting of laws by two wheelers (motorcycles, bicycles, scooters, no one is less). Strict action needs to be taken against whoever is at fault. It's common to see even cops riding without helmets, talking on phones while riding, and cutting signals without any consideration. No licensing system is going to work without rigorous enforcement.

(3) As mentioned by many earlier, licence testing should be a real exam. Not the sham it is today.

(4) That horn business is unnecessary. It's already too difficult to drive/ride around in peace with all the unnecessary honking. This is most likely just an extra that they kept in the proposal to push the original graded system through.

Last edited by anilp : 3rd December 2015 at 12:42.
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:14   #38
BHPian

Its sad, the government is trying all new ways to further tax a customer,

The road tax rates keep increasing. The road condition remains poor most of the times.

There are gross road safety violation from government side, specific to sudden median without any proper indication.

Now tax on super bikes,

I guess they wont start to tax cars with up size tires or a premium paint coat. (oops, did i give the government another idea to further tax)
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:52   #39
BHPian

In the UK, where I was previously, I had to first complete a CBT (Compulsory basic test) to start riding bikes on the road. Once this was completed, came the actual lessons. The training lessons were robust and taught all the basics like looking over shoulders before manoevoring , how to ride properly in a lane, safety issues, danger anticipation and avoidance, defensive riding etc.
Even after all this on the actual practical test, I failed the first time on a 600cc bike, as one had to complete 6 tasks, which included panic braking, slow figure of 8 , walking with heavy bike beside you and such like. I failed in one of the 6 tasks - the one where I was to go through a speed trap at minimum of 30 mph and then swerve to avoid a couple of traffic cones kept at an alarmingly close distance, just after the speed trap. I managed to scrape one of the cones and I was immediately failed.
I eventually managed to pass, on another occassion.
Just trying to explain how strict the license process is for motorbikes, abroad.
Compare this to the process in our desh.

This Proposal is a good one on paper, but as with anything in our country, it is the implementation and sustainance which is the problem.
Few things alongside may help to make this more effective, in reducing two wheeler fatalities-
1. better roads with proper lighting, signage and markings.
2. Compulsory basic riding skills course and test.
3. Clean up RTOs- make it bribe free zones
4. Strict enforcement of the law with severe penalties for lack of helmets, dangerous driving etc.
5. More awareness and information drives, so that people understand the consequences and impact of an accident when it happens.
6. have a graded licensing system

I am an orthopaedic surgeon and I have seen far too many gory accidents and its effects on people and families. When it comes to improving riding and driving practices, I believe it is a small first step, but a good one all the same...
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:55   #40
BHPian

Just like the laws of physics failing within the event horizon of a black hole, the physics of motorcycling fails in a pothole.
While the concept of issuing training and separate license, equipping the bike with ABS and day time lights are good, the need of the hour is good roads.
With the current condition of the roads, the bikers are better off with off road enduro training. Young people who ride frequently for long distances (medical representatives and the like) are developing problems like spinal disc herniation.

As a rider I welcome all the initiatives put forward by the authorities for road safety, but first things first - GOOD ROADS PLEASE !- after all you need a good platform to enforce road safety.

Last edited by adrian : 4th December 2015 at 13:02. Reason: typos
Old 7th January 2016, 23:46   #41

The age limit has nothing to do with skill level. I'm 23 years old, I started riding when I turned 18, and I started out on a 350cc Enfield, Moving onto Kawasaki 600 and then in 6 months to The Blackbird 1100xx, And I can ride better and with more road sense than middle aged men on the road.

There should be a well planned skill test, and licenses awarded according to the score of that test.
Old 8th January 2016, 09:41   #42
BANNED

Our issue is not intent but compliance / enforcement. In many countries unless you have experience (typically two years) you are not allowed to ride higher end (say >250cc) bikes. Why not do the same here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks