Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 13:38   #1
BHPian

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

A Not Too Long Short Story:

Having learnt my biking on dad's Yamaha RX 100, the thirst for speed was not something that would be quenched by a Hero Honda Splendor that was purchased by dad in a record time of two days by trading in the trustworthy Rx 100 as my dad received a lot of complaints from a known relatives that I was seen over speeding.

Tears rolled by hearing the news that Rx100 is no more with us but to my surprise, even now I can't tell you guys how quick that feeling superseded in seeing the new Shiny HH Splendor parked in the yard.

Ok, it's a crime if I don't divulge when did all this happen...Right, all this was during my 5'th grade and I'm a well groomed man hitting the 30's mark.

Coming back to the story now, the Splendor served us well till my second Job and with no savings or any motivation going by and having spent lakhs on education, I just felt it wasn't the right time to ask dad for a new bike. A year rolled by and while I was in Pondycherry posted for a project, our workhorse HH Splendor was stolen. Heart broke and tears rolled down seeing the parking space empty. Registering a FIR with the Police didn't help either and being it 16 yr old bike, the insurance value was not more than 5000 rupees. Dad asked me to let go off the bike as it proved no point in fighting over something worth 5000 according to the cops who doesn’t value sentiments attached to it. I got a job in my home town, Coimbatore and happily relocated where I felt could save some money and get something better.

Days passed by and before I could join, as a real surprise dad gifted we with Bajaj Pulsar 200 which served me well for 4 yrs. Love marriage, parents opposing and low financial status as we had to live separated from parents, all took a toll and the bike was parted. Month after that, the two stroke bug was biting real hard and the same time, my parents got back with us as one happy family.

There came the Yamaha Rx 135 5 Speed to my rescue and serving well even today.

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-1.jpg

Riding the bike hard and getting appreciations for the restoration carried out, bit me even hard and picked up a RXZ 135. Took two good years in restoring, as financial commitments lined up one by one. Toured in 2 Strokes along with fellow club members and was living happily, until the four strokes started to shine in long distance touring department. In simple terms, the 4 Strokes were faster, Cheaper to Maintain and Offer good Touring capabilities compared to the 2 Strokes.

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-2.jpg

Saving up money for a good 4 Stroke and waiting for Home Minister's approval took some time and it was on this year's beginning Wifey and I both decided that I should get a 4 stroke. Months passed by and I was in middle of this year, Wifey announced that she'll gift me a bigger bike on my B'day which is due in Nov.

Bike Selection:

Having had one close friend's R15 for almost 2 month during the transition period from Pulsar 200 to a 2 Stroke, it was in my mind that I need a LC bike that can do all day 120+ without much sweat. As bigger bikes came in the R15 started fading away, at least in the highways. So, a more competent 250 CC is what one should look for was registered in my mind.

CBR 250R: A Good bike, reliable tourer and a good friend Aargee has it and have read thorough all the posts and know the Pros and Cons even better than the guy who designed it...(lol..) Was waiting for a clean update and there came the bike with fresh paint and sticker's that didn’t impress at all. Not to offend the existing user's...Just my honest opinion although its a great bike apart from that. So, the same was ruled out.

Ninja 300: Simply striked it off because, felt it was Over Priced. That Lime green is something to die for, but at 4.XX L in showrooms and pre-owned at 2.75L here in Coimbatore, neither the maintenance nor the resale value made any sense. Have seen friend's N 650 standing in workshop towards clear visor and rear tail replacement for almost 2 month's.

Ninja 650: Although the budget for a new bike was fixed at 3.5L, got pretty sweet deals for a pre-owned N650 in the same price tag. But, again as its fate for spares is a serious concern at least in my place, let go off.

Mahindra Mojo: The dealer told me that the launch is soon post the official launch. This is how much they've been informed by the parent company.

KTM Series: A close friend own's a D 200 and felt nice to ride but simply felt that the Rev limiter bricks in way too fast making it literally unusable in long range rides also seeming stressed.
The D 390 on the other hand was a dynamite when ignited. Simply refuses to plant its wheels in the front. This was the time I started noticing faired bikes which makes sense for the wind blast.

Yamaha R3: Sweet Twin that I was privileged to experience for a day. Solid Build, Positive Gear shifts and amazing road presence. Just a bit expensive for the kind of equipments it offer's. Plus, parts again one has to wait for overseas parcels. So, let go off. Tears from a True Blooded Yamaha Fan.

Choosing the Bug Eyed Warrior - KTM RC 390:

The Bug eye was chosen finally for two reasons; get back to Track days which I had stopped once I had a surgery in L5 after a fall and simply for the love of faired bikes as I already have a semi fared 2 Stroke (Yamaha RXZ) and a Naked one ( RX 135).

As everyone's aware of the Pros, let me list out the Cons:

1. Spongy Brake modulation - Can be sorted out via good brake pads and a bleed, either would go with SBS or EBC dual sintered pads.

2. Rattle only Engine at idle - Seems, KTM has done with a Super Rich AFR at idle proving that the fueling map it idle is something not worked upon. Although international forums suggest installation of a PCV would eliminate the lean surge, I'm going to wait for this upgrade.

3.Tank range - Cannot complaint much as KTM never advertised as tourer and one has to make good relationship's with gas pumps every 250 kms or so.

4.Vibrations - Coming back to RTR from a KTM ride, all of a sudden the former one seems butter smooth like Honda. No explanations required.

5. Breaking Alloys - Not Sure if all these in the net is legitimate and all alloys break if the impact exceeds the load capacity it was designed. However, I'll be extra careful on this.

Apart from all these with which I can live with my own solutions that I can find, trust me; this bike is fast yet linear in the power delivery. One funny instance is having riding a Piped and ported Rx 135, the power delivery is always peaky. Just like the TC's in diesel's where one has to wait for the power band to kick in. When I went for the TD, all through the 2-3 kms I was waiting for the power band to hit that would pull hard not knowing it was linear. Mad...Mad...

So, the booking amount was paid and a day after that got a call from the showroom that there are 5 bikes that have reached and can be selected as per the promise issued from the dealer earlier. Out of the 5 bikes that arrived, one of them was missing in the showroom floor and on enquiring, was told that it's in the service parking as there was no space to park. Stromed through the service centre and here is what I discovered.

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-3.jpg

It was love at first sight. Told the dealership owner that this is what I'll be picking up and they sincerely obliged in utter surprise as it was dusty. Little did they know, the 135 I restored was picked up in gunny bags before it could take it's shape...!

The PDI was done with the help of a check list that I prepared. Settled the full amount to the dealership and the bike was invoiced. The day before delivery was the biggest shock of all. The Fuel tank cap on a test ride, Popped out on it's own and doesn't lock. The second issue was the right side rear flasher gone kaupt. The service manager replaced the rear tail fully and sorted out the fuel lock issues.

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-4.jpg

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-5.jpg

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-6.jpg

An Accesory;

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-7.jpg

This is how she stands for the delivery.

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-8.jpg

It was a rainy delivery day and from then it's either raining nor I'm filled with work and the odo stands still at 75 kms from Nov'21.

Few more Pics..

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-9.jpg

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-10.jpg

The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390-11.jpg

Ride Experience:

Seating Position: The seating position is pretty tall compared to the other bikes of the same category, more or less giving that Moto 3 saddle height, or at least a feel of the same attached to it. As seen and heard about the rock hard seats, I cannot comment much about the same as my ride was only 75 Kms on the Odo till date. Blame it on the work schedule, even my Sunday's are tied up.
Overall the seats seems to be ok to me at-least for now.

Handling: The bike literally handles like a hot knife on butter, the riding ergonomics, frame dynamics are simply astounding to someone coming from a double cradle twin spar frame. The cornering is like a cake walk, provided if you've gone through Keith Code's books or video's. My free time goes like that for now.

Tires: This needs a special mention as at time's I've got myself confused is that the tyres that stick like leech or the heavy engine braking in this bike that stops the rear wheel for a fraction of a second while hard downshift's. Eventually found out that it's a wedlock of both working in harmony. In simple, the Metz do not need more than 2-3 minutes to warm-up unlike others that require 2-3 laps. This would simply spoil you. Although the pricing is on the higher side when compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport Radial or it's competetiors, considering the amount of grip, it give's, should be a decent investment.

Braking: I slightly beg to differ when it comes to braking as a complaint that's been around saying that the braking effeicency isn't enough. Again, coming from a 2 stroke, it's always engine braking added to brake modulation that gives total control. Using the same technique on the RC, i find the braking power to be adequate. Although, high speed panic braking is something I would love to see how the bike fares, Yet to stretch the bug as it's been brick limited to 7.5k rpm till the first service. Again, if the brake's aren't adequate there's always dual sintered pads to the rescue that's pretty easily available in India.

Engine Heating: Although all new engine's produces pronounced heat signature, it's no different in the RC. In fact it's a little more being it a high compression single pot mill. The Start and stop go kind of traffic where the radiator fan kicks in, there is enough heat on the thigh's to roast it on the longer run. What I don't understand is this, I've read that the 2015 models have the fan air deflected towards the bottom of the belly pan and this is not the same in my case. Being Oct'15 manufactured vehicle, the air flow is being directed to my thighs which is OK on the highway's but definitely not in city traffic. Hopefully, the riding pant that I've ordered should be able to take care of this issue to some extent.

Clutch: This needs a special mention as this is something that I've never seen it hard apart from a few other things in life Anyway's, coming to the point, to all the prospective RC buyer's, feel the CBR 250R clutch for once and the story end's there. My finger's started aching so bad that I literally had to stop for a cup of tea to ease out. I've seen a different clutch actuator arm in the D 390, probably because of the slipper clutch, let me try installing one of them that might potentially reduce the human input required.

Suspension: Probably not the best in the field as nothing can be adjusted when it comes to front forks, but decent enough. The rear although requires preload adjustment for me to take the Bug Eye to hills without scrapping it's underbelly, again the tool given by KTM for the same is pretty useless. There's is no working space for the tool to make the adjustments one wishes to make. The rear setting is at 3 ticks and I require atleast 8 ticks to safely run on the twisties which I'll be doing soon.

Riding Position: The riding position is super aggressive and requires a certain amount of finesse on the long run to keep the bike in the stable. Else, I'm sure it would have to part away. The main issue is the stress on the wrists, there is so much stress on the wrists that literally they feel numb after a certain period of time. Infact at one point, riding back from the Showroom, I was literally struggling to honk with no feedback from my fingers that basically cramped up. Learning from Keith Code, again I've started to grip the bike on my legs that reduces the amount of stress on the wrists. Although, it's a simple technic, it's pretty hard to keep that practice in consciousness and keep going. Coming back to the finesse part, I've started climbing 9 floors where my office is located as I feel it's just a start and one requires stamina as much as a good bike procured.

As my ride till date isn't that pronounced to give a insight review, let me try updating as and when the Bug Eye rolls

Last edited by dual disc 200 : 9th December 2015 at 15:18. Reason: Uploading pics via the attachment system
dual disc 200 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:08   #2
BHPian

re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Congratulations dual_disc_200! Enjoy the ride and drive safe Your RX 135 pic above is splendid! Reminds me of college days
Old 8th December 2015, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

dual disc 200 mate I really loved the way you wrote your story interwoven with ups and downs in life both personal and professional. I could relate to you about putting financial stress on parents while studying at the same time. I feel you buying the Yamaha RX135 as your childhood memories are attached to the RX100. Similar to me buying my favourite motorcycles once I was financially independent.

Your RC390 looks as sharp as it can get. That black windshield makes it look like that famous Street Hawk motorcycle. The RC390 is a corner carver with acceleration to match. I am sure you wont miss the RX100 feeling on this one, except for that screamer two stroke engine. I hope you have retained your Yamaha.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:06   #4
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
CBR 250R: A Good bike, reliable tourer and a good friend Aargee has it and have read thorough all the posts and know the Pros and Cons even better than the guy who designed it...(lol..) Was waiting for a clean update and there came the bike with fresh paint and sticker's that didn’t impress at all. Not to offend the existing user's...Just my honest opinion although its a great bike apart from that. So, the same was ruled out.
Congrats on your awesome machine dual disc 200. You have mentioned my exact thoughts not to consider the CBR as my next bike. However good the current CBR 250R is, I really hate HMSI for not launching the updated CBR 250R/300R earlier this year.
And whatever options I consider in the 200-400cc category, the RC 390 always remains at the top mainly due to the raw power/torque, looks and the extraordinary VFM. It is the small niggles and rattles posted by the owners that still keeps my stupid brain from signing the cheque. Maybe I will wait until the 2016 RC 390 arrives and make my decision (the TVS-BMW bike which is the distant second contender should have been launched by then, hopefully).
Between, did you get any discounts from the Coimbatore KTM dealer (the one in Peelamedu, I suppose)? Hopefully, once I buy the bike, we can have some awesome track days at the Kari.
kat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:11   #5
BHPian

Congratulations, mate. A pleasure to have you join the Oranje community.

Here's one advice I would give you - When it comes to KTM bikes, give them utmost respect and treat them the way they're supposed to be and god willing they won't throw any tantrums at you. It's a very demanding machine. Personal experience.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 21:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the superb acquisition.

I have always loved the R15. But riding a 150cc already, the R3 became the bike I wanted. Yet, it is very hard to find reasons to buy the R3 over the RC390. Primary for the price vs performance ratio that the two offer.

The RC390 is a bike that I would love to ride soon!

Although, why did you not wait for the upgraded RC390?

It is only a matter of time before its launch in India I presume.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 09:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomS_CarLog View Post
Congratulations dual_disc_200! Enjoy the ride and drive safe Your RX 135 pic above is splendid! Reminds me of college days
Thanks Koms....It's a great bike, used to be very close to my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
dual disc 200 mate I really loved the way you wrote your story interwoven with ups and downs in life both personal and professional. I could relate to you about putting financial stress on parents while studying at the same time. I feel you buying the Yamaha RX135 as your childhood memories are attached to the RX100. Similar to me buying my favourite motorcycles once I was financially independent.

Your RC390 looks as sharp as it can get. That black windshield makes it look like that famous Street Hawk motorcycle. The RC390 is a corner carver with acceleration to match. I am sure you wont miss the RX100 feeling on this one, except for that screamer two stroke engine. I hope you have retained your Yamaha.
Thank you Navin. Now that I'm financially independent, parents are in "correction Mode" Why are you spending so...much on this?? Let's get a bigger house, car, etc..etc.

Both my Yamaha's stays with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Congrats on your awesome machine dual disc 200. You have mentioned my exact thoughts not to consider the CBR as my next bike. However good the current CBR 250R is, I really hate HMSI for not launching the updated CBR 250R/300R earlier this year.
And whatever options I consider in the 200-400cc category, the RC 390 always remains at the top mainly due to the raw power/torque, looks and the extraordinary VFM. It is the small niggles and rattles posted by the owners that still keeps my stupid brain from signing the cheque. Maybe I will wait until the 2016 RC 390 arrives and make my decision (the TVS-BMW bike which is the distant second contender should have been launched by then, hopefully).
Between, did you get any discounts from the Coimbatore KTM dealer (the one in Peelamedu, I suppose)? Hopefully, once I buy the bike, we can have some awesome track days at the Kari.
Hi Kat, You're in the same phase I was a month ago, but somehow managed to narrow down to the choice eventually I wish to go with...Advance congrats on the decision making and purchase process..Sure, love to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Congratulations, mate. A pleasure to have you join the Oranje community.

Here's one advice I would give you - When it comes to KTM bikes, give them utmost respect and treat them the way they're supposed to be and god willing they won't throw any tantrums at you. It's a very demanding machine. Personal experience.
Thanks Barcalad, Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Congrats on the superb acquisition.

I have always loved the R15. But riding a 150cc already, the R3 became the bike I wanted. Yet, it is very hard to find reasons to buy the R3 over the RC390. Primary for the price vs performance ratio that the two offer.

The RC390 is a bike that I would love to ride soon!

Although, why did you not wait for the upgraded RC390?

It is only a matter of time before its launch in India I presume.
Hello Ashwin, I had enough time to wait for the 2016 RC 390 as the news arrived to me very early even before the decision making from a trusted friend. The deletion of a full underbelly and a flush mounted clean exhaust look was a real deal breaker for me.

As far as the real updates what I'll miss is the 320mm floating rotors in the front. I can live without Ride by Wire as I'd like to keep the electronics at bay as much as possible. You know, replacing a broken throttle cable is better than getting stranded in the highway in case of an electronics failure.

As far as Slipper clutch gaga, riding a piped two stroke, I strictly believe in throttle blipping while down shifting which is consider more fun and speaking technically, Yes it is better than the stock set-up atleast in making the clutch feel lighter. Think I can live without this too.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Excessive smilies
dual disc 200 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! Can you share details of the new windscreen? It looks much bigger than the stock one.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Congratulations! Can you share details of the new windscreen? It looks much bigger than the stock one.
Thank you Neil, It's dark smoked visor from Puig and Yes, it is much taller being a double bubble.
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:17   #10
BHPian

Same Town, Same dilemma!, lets see what I end up in a months time. Congrats and hope to catch you!!

Btw: whats the OTR and any discounts?

Last edited by Makesh : 9th December 2015 at 11:20. Reason: Add comment
Makesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 14:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
Same Town, Same dilemma!, lets see what I end up in a months time. Congrats and hope to catch you!!

Btw: whats the OTR and any discounts?
The OTR was like 2.42 excluding my own accessories that I've added.

We shall catch up soon.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2015 at 12:01. Reason: Taking live
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 12:01   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbike Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 13:33   #13
BHPian

Hi Ram bro, congratulations for acquiring the speed demon. I see you are getting hungry for more

Why didn't you wait for the 2016 model, which is very near to its launch ?
Old 10th December 2015, 15:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hi Ram bro, congratulations for acquiring the speed demon. I see you are getting hungry for more

Why didn't you wait for the 2016 model, which is very near to its launch ?
Nice to see you after a long time man. The thirst for speed is something that is never ending

Anyways, coming to the upgraded model discussion's as said earlier, As far as the real updates what I'll miss is the 320mm floating rotors in the front. I can live without Ride by Wire as I'd like to keep the electronics at bay as much as possible. You know, replacing a broken throttle cable is better than getting stranded in the highway in case of an electronics failure.

As far as Slipper clutch gaga, riding a piped two stroke, I strictly believe in throttle blipping while down shifting which is consider more fun and speaking technically, Yes it is better than the stock set-up atleast in making the clutch feel lighter. Think I can live without this too.

Most importantly, the absence of a full sized belly pan and a clean flush mount exhaust in the upgraded model is something that I could not stand. I like the clean lines that's seen in the 2015 models.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Congratulations mate for picking up the best track ready machine. I was surprised that you didn't pick up the R3, considering you were a fan of Yamaha machines and literally grew up on them. Had I not picked up the CBR250R this February, I would have undoubtedly picked up the R3.

Ride safe as you keep piling on the odometer.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks