Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2015, 14:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

KTM's current bikes to be replaced by all-new range in 2017

KTM is looking to phase out its current range of motorcycles by the end of 2016. The company plans to launch a new range of bikes in 2017.

The existing range of KTM bikes manufactured in India consists of the Duke (naked) and RC (faired) models in 125cc, 200cc and 390cc versions. While the 200cc and 390cc versions are sold in India as well as export markets, the 125cc version is only for export markets.

The new models will be built on all-new platforms and have new engines. They will be manufactured at the Bajaj Auto's Chakan plant, near Pune, Maharashtra.

In the calendar year 2015, KTM had set itself a target of selling 1,80,000 units globally. For the calendar year 2016, the company has raised this target to 2,00,000 units. KTM also plans to increase the production capacity of the Chakan plant from 60,000 units to 1,00,000 units.

Source: Money Control
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 15:07   #2
BHPian

Re: KTM's current bikes to be replaced by all-new range in 2017

The new 2017 Dukes are rumoured to be also equipped with cornering ABS.

I think that's gonna be pretty huge!

Here's a glimpse of cornering ABS that they Bosch has developed in collaboration with KTM -
nishsingh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 19:05   #3
BHPian

You really gotta take your hats off for KTM. They just don't stop improving their products. Every single year they make revisions to their products, and that shows the eagerness of the company to retain existing customers, and keep attracting new ones. The best part of this is, they do not delay in bringing the updates to the Indian market (Unlike many other manufacturers), and we have gotten all the updates on the Dukes/RCs that they released everywhere else worldwide! Love their constant drive to make things better

Now for the all new bikes to be released in 2017. Being a very proud owner of a 2012 KTM Duke 200, it's very difficult to imagine them making the bike completely new, because it is already perfect in so many ways.

The things I love about the bike are:
  • The hooligan feel of the engine, with that raw power! Makes it so thrilling and fun to ride, and is trademark KTM!
  • The light weight of the bike, which makes it so effortless to ride (Especially in heavy traffic), and reduces stress on your body.
  • The stability and balance of the bike, whether in a straight line or corners. It is very confidence inspiring, and makes you push it harder.
  • It certainly looks the part, and is a head turner till now. It looks built for the purpose, and makes you feel younger while riding too!
  • It is undoubtedly the most VFM bike you can buy in this price range for it's specifications. So far, nothing else beats it in this aspect period.
  • The spares of the bike are not priced through the roof, and things can be replaced without making a hole in your pocket.
  • KTM's track days make you feel like you have bought something special, and not just any old bike available in the market.

The things that can be improved:
  • Service, service, and service! The service centers are currently not equipped to handle the volume of bikes that have been sold, and I don't find their mechanics up to the mark either. This is the biggest aspect they need to improve for sure!
  • Although I haven't faced any major failures with the bike, there are various issues reported by owners. Fork oil seal breakage, Stator coil failure, Rims breaking, Coolant leakage, Speedometer failure etc (Although most of these issues are reported by Duke 390 owners).
  • Quality and refinement of the bike can be a notch higher, but I suppose that will also push up the cost of the bikes, therefore making some people view them as less VFM.

These are all the points I could think of guys. Existing owners, please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

As always, I'm sure we all hope that KTM will retain the factors that make these bikes fantastic, while improving on all the things that could be better

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th January 2016 at 20:52. Reason: 2013 -> 2012
Joxster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have gotta love KTM. When every other manufacturer is busy selling outdated, underequipped and overpriced products, here's a manufacturer who is finally taking the Indian market and the enthusiast seriously

Although I am still surprised when people split hairs to find absolutely worthless reasons to pull down their existing lot on sale, I have learnt to ignore them. Its their loss ..... literally

Come 2017, my 390 would be 3 years old. Too early IMO to trade off (its still too much fun), but I am pretty sure my next upgrade will be a bigger badder Katoom. I am in love!!!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You have gotta love KTM. When every other manufacturer is busy selling outdated, underequipped and overpriced products, here's a manufacturer who is finally taking the Indian market and the enthusiast seriously
True statement Urban_Nomad.

KTM bikes have a lot of distinct traits/features that no other manufacturer has been able to beat and in some cases even compete.

Those Metzelers are an absolute craze and I'm sucker for the kind of grip those tyres offer. The brute low-end power is pulsating.

The only things I miss with them are the lack of an extra cylinder (in the 200s and 390s) and the exhaust note which is neither going to make any sort of announcement of our arrival nor sound sweet/thumping.
Old 31st December 2015, 20:21   #6
BHPian

this hopefully explains why they didnt launch an enduro version based on the current platform.
Old 31st December 2015, 21:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The primary reason for the all new line up is... Wait for it... Emission norms!

Am amazed however that they are launching a slew of new farkles for the 2016 model year with a completely new platform on the cards for 17! No wonder they outsold BMW in Europe.
Old 6th January 2016, 15:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The primary reason for the all new line up is... Wait for it... Emission norms!
I certainly find that quizzical... In a country which cares far too less about emission norms. Maybe, it serves their global strategy.

Going forward we'll want to be wary about these emission norms and how compliant our vehicles are. Some manufacturers are still selling BSII and BSIII vehicles.

Any clues on the pricing for the new variants??
Old 6th January 2016, 16:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

It may seem like they are replacing something that is relatively new but even though its new for India, the KTM200 etc has been on the international market for a while now no?
Old 6th January 2016, 17:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^ incorrect. Duke 200 came to fore in Jan 2012

So ya, KTM is replacing a rather new line up. That is why they are awesome anywhere on earth

And it's not emissions either. You don't junk an entire product because emission specs need to be met. If this were indeed the case, i.e. emission norms warrant a brand new line up, wouldn't other manufacturers be following suit??? Why just KTM?

It's simply because KTM is awesome. Us Indians are not used to having a manufacturer so ready to serve awesomeness. To make it more believe able, we will come up with any mundane and boring theories / reasoning to rationalize it.

KTM don't do rational. Since when was a 690 cc fire breathing single rational, or 180 bhp for a 180 kg street bike sane?

Note from Support: Please avoid using slang, and stick to proper grammar for better readability. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2016 at 06:43. Reason: See note. Post edited.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Ktm don't do rational. Since when was a 690 cc fire breathing single rational, or 180 bhp for a 180 kg street bike sane?
You have point there. But in India sport bikes and super sports are forced to wear a saree guard and I think the rational or irrational may not make a difference should the government single-mindedly decide to impose restrictions which may pull the plug.

I always liked a two-stroke beast like the RD350 was, which none of these 4 stroke bikes can ever be. It got walloped by emission norms at that time. Similarly, I like KTM for the madness it produces especially the 390 as I find that right pitched for all conditions in India.

KTM is selling good in India and I cant fathom the reasons why they would bend backwards to pull out an entire line up for and that too prematurely as 3 or 4 years is not time enough to replace all products in the lineup. The rumor mill does hint at emission norms but we may end up not knowing the reasons at all.
Old 9th January 2016, 19:34   #12
BHPian

jana_jr and Urban_Nomad agree with you both 100%. KTM has really succeeded in achieving a cult following/status. I'm hoping we get the big bad 690 in India soon. In the meantime, I'm hoping I get my hands on my already booked Black 390 Duke soon. Trying to satiate myself by trawling through the superbly comprehensive Duke 390 long term ownership thread. Can't wait!
Old 14th February 2016, 06:59   #13
BHPian

It's great to see that new KTMs are expected sometime in 2017. However it's quite unclear why some are discussing about a new platform. It seems that is not the case. As data from various websites shows i
(Import related data of KTMs to india from austria for testing purposes)The expected 2017 version will not have any major performance improving or handling dynamics changing factor related updates. The platform remains probably same with same engine. Expected chages are new silencer and probably ride by wire technology, majorly to positively influence emission norms in world markets. Rest of changes would be cosmetic it seems.

Ride by wire addition would enable KTM to incorporate traction control like features. However does bikes like 390 really need it? The added cost if passed on to customers may make the positioning weaker as it would open up options for potential buyers.

Last edited by Sid13 : 14th February 2016 at 07:02. Reason: Spell correction
Old 14th February 2016, 09:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have been able to gather, the engine and gear box sees no change, but considering this is KTM, expect a marginal increase in horsepower and torque figures.

The ride by wire and exhaust add on is primarily for emission norms (confirmed by Stefan on some report ).

The 690 however is seeing a full replacement, God bless it's soul.
Where is ebonho? He usually has the dope on these things. Still hasn't come clean on the mad mad bhp figures for the rumored 500 twin.
Old 14th February 2016, 12:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

The 690 however is seeing a full replacement, God bless it's soul.
Where is ebonho? He usually has the dope on these things. Still hasn't come clean on the mad mad bhp figures for the rumored 500 twin.
^^Just got back from a sublime ride to lavasa... I check my phone and the thread is back to life...what are these rumors about the 500 twin? Can you share more details or link please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks