Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 13:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel

Bajaj is all set to launch the "V", a motorcycle made by melting INS Vikrant's steel

Cheap publicity stunt or red blooded patriotism, you decide

Teaser Video:

Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 13:58   #2
BANNED

re: The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel

Good marketing ploy. Maybe 1kg of Vikrant steel in each unit!
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 14:12   #3
BHPian

Marketing at it's not so sutble! INS Vikrant build of good old British steel because we bought the incomplete HMS Hercules aircraft carrier from Britain.

INS Vikrant has helped us win wars and I personally don't feel this is even close to a tribute to the great ship.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:16   #4
BHPian

I think it's a noble end to the pride of the navy, it will go on living in 1000's of houses.

A chance for everyone to have a part of history.

Seems everytime a company does something good, someone has to talk it down.
What did Bajaj do to deserve that urban_nomad?
amitc7 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Bajaj Motorcycles!!

Bajaj has created a history in the motorcycling world by deciding to use steel from the invincible and iconic Aircraft Carrier of the Indian Navy and pride of India, The "INS VIKRANT" which was the heaviest class of Aircraft carrier in the Indian Navy. In fact Indian Navy has designated "Vikrant Class" to the all new Aircraft carrier which is being built right now.

I as an Indian feel immense pride when an Indian motorcycle company takes this initiative of using legendary aircraft carrier Vikrant's steel the quantity of grams or kgs or British steel(once it is bought from someone it is Ours) not withstanding. Bajaj motorcycles has given the legendary aircraft carrier another life and has extended its legacy by deciding to use its steel for their "V" model. Also Bajaj has always strung fellow country men's hearts with their ad jingles the famous "Hamara Bajaj", according to me they are on the right track on creating a history that no other motorcycle company in the world has done or dared to do till date.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 27th January 2016 at 14:37.
navin_v8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 14:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Tank and frame would be the places where they can use this steel. Not sure of the engine block.

Good move by Bajaj. People will buy it just to have a part of Nation's pride and history with them. The number of bikes built would definitely be huge due to the sheer size of the aircraft carrier
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:48   #7
BHPian

Bajaj have not mentioned anywhere in what form the Vikrant steel would be used.

Most ships are constructed from very thick steel plates (10 mm and more) and such heavy steel plates are not required in bikes. So I think that the scrap steel is reprocessed and remade into fresh steel before being used by Bajaj. This is like saying that I built a house using stones from a historic building but I crushed the stones and mixed them into the concrete!
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 16:36   #8
BHPian

Most of us are incognizant about this particular bike, Bajaj V. Lets wait till we actually see the bike than be judgemental.
When i saw the teaser one thing came to my mind, let me share it here - In shirdi, the shirdi prasadalay serves lunch to thousands of devotees. the naivedya(offering to god) is mixed with lunch so that all devotees get the satisfaction of eating prasad - courtesy NGC mega kitchens. Bajaj V is an attempt to tap the patriots in us to give us a sense of pride.
Like many already mentioned, the metal would be treated and converted to a suitable form before use. A good marketing move, if the bike is not good enough - they will be criticized for using the legendary warship's name else everyone would be proud to own a "V" . In Either case, it doesn't become a cheap publicity - just because they told you that they have used metal from Vikrant. Cheap publicity, according to me, is when anyone tries to malign another brand for their own benefit.

Last edited by Arvin_86 : 27th January 2016 at 16:42.
Arvin_86 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 16:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Marketing at it's not so sutble! INS Vikrant build of good old British steel because we bought the incomplete HMS Hercules aircraft carrier from Britain.

INS Vikrant has helped us win wars and I personally don't feel this is even close to a tribute to the great ship.
Really? Here's what the government deemed a fit tribute:
"At the end of January 2014, Vikrant was sold through an online auction to a Darukhana ship-breaker for Rs.60 crores (Indian Express-21-Nov-2014: http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ikrant-begins/ )

Isnt this a better, known, memory, rathen than being an unrecognizable, unacknowledged bit in a rail coach, or bridge, or a utensil?
mayankk is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 17:09   #10
BHPian

It sounds "novel" or "patriotic", now, but what about, say 15 years ahead, when the scooter will be discarded, or just "rusting in pieces", dogs peeing on it...anyway, we would have forgotten all about Vikrant except on the wiki page! An overenthusiastic journo might find a bite and rekindle a few memories here and there! In any case, ships get broken at Alang. Horrible stories from there. This is a new one, for sure!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 27th January 2016 at 17:11.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 17:09   #11
BHPian

Aircraft carriers always have a special place in our hearts- An moving airport on the sea.

INS Vikrant has a significant impact on the minds of the young indians.
Weighing over 50000000 kgs imagine the number of bikes which will use the steel.
I assume that BAL will use a small amount in each bike and sustain it for eternity.

That said, i hope the bike has a next gen gearbox. I dont want a INS vikrant with a stupid gear box
Old 27th January 2016, 17:44   #12
BHPian

Re: The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel

I wish Royal Enfield did this, that would've been another reason to own one. Both got similar ancestry, military lineage & respect which i think some bajaj can't truly pull off. Still, gotta give it to them for the idea which in no way is cheap if the machine quality matches the namesake. That's the part i fear about a bajaj, have to wait & watch.
SandyX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 17:49   #13
BHPian

A few screens taken from the video and then I went to the Internet.. ( JC Style )

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-bajajv150engine.jpg
It seems to be a 150 cc commuter bike.(keep your cursor on the image and see the name - got it from the internet, as is)

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-tank.jpg The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-tank2.jpg
The tank shape shown seems to be somewhat roundish(not very modern).

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-body.jpg
The overall shape looks like a cafe-racer.

I will hold my words till I see this bike in full.
iamahunter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Has to be discover/pulsar based DTSi with a cafe racer skin. Nice move imo.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:37   #15
BHPian

Bike looks good from the side profile. I hope the engine and gearbox are good as well. It will be a feeling of pride whoever buys this bike that it contains steel from the legendary aircraft carrier in however form it may be.

Bajaj already gave us an affordable tourer (read Avenger) long time back. I hope this new offering from Bajaj will enable masses to buy an affordable cafe racer as well.
xs2mayank is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks