Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 14:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Akula 310 unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I got a whatsapp forward yesterday with Motoroids claiming that this will not be branded 'Akula' but will be a sobered down Apache RTR 310.
To me that's terrible news. Due to the facts you have brought up, I feel TVS ought to take this as an opportunity to create a new sub-brand (not sure what the terminology is here). I loved the Akula name and while the Apache line has spawned many impressive bikes, it is simply not wise to associate such a fresh offering with the Apache line considering Apaches never achieved much in sales.

Quote:
Due to the above points, I feel that it will be an uphill task for TVS/BMW to even be a competition to the big names. But is it impossible? I certainly do not think so.
I understand what you mean, but in certain cases, just having the product in existence means you have your task ahead of you cut in half simply because there is nothing else like it in the market. The CBR250r has gotten a bit long in the tooth and considering what a bump in performance a 300cc bike offers over a 250cc one, the market has moved on to expect better as well and what exists in that space? The RC390 which most of us Indians who are raised on splendors will find too agressive and the other half will harp on about its image in public as an accident provoking machine. Then you have the Yamaha R3 and the Ninja 300 both of which are reliable solid performers but not everyone is willing to pay double the price for that. Just take the RC390 itself, as an owner I can tell you that it is not a particularly reliable nor is it a well built machine, yet it sells. I love it purely for its aggressive nature but we all know several people buy it even if that is not what they are after, simply because it exists and its other competitors being CBUs are way more expensive. Now those people have a solid alternative.

Quote:
PS: Have you ever ridden a N300 my friend? Well I've and I also happen to own a 4 year old N250. While the pricing might seem in the beginning, it is only when you spend more time with the bike that you realize why Kawasaki commands a premium. I can say from my experience that it is built fantastically well, rides well, stops well and as a package it just works in almost all the aspects. I couldn't have invested my hard earned INR 3.5L anywhere else. But of course, the A.S.S is a different story altogether.
I have and have ridden the older 250r as well. honestly I even love the 90s styling of the 250r over the current generation 300 but that's just personal preference. The Ninja 250r is a bike that I lusted after once I had learned how to ride but after I got out there and rode the Ninja 300, it simply did not evoke the emotions in me that I expected it to. Again that is simply down to personal preference since I was hoping for something more like the R15 but was disappointed to note that the small Ninjas were more like sport tourers with extra oomph than sportbikes with quick reflexes that the design used to suggest. Later down the road I checked out the RC390 and fell in love. Now I may not ever buy a Ninja 300/R3 or an Akula for that matter because I desired an aggressive machine, that said, I would personally not be able to justify the money Yamaha demands for the R3 or Kawaski demands for the Ninja300 because while they are infinitely more refined and well built being Japanese products when compared to my KTM, for me to say that they are worth the premium and thus call them premium products, they need to outclass cheaper bikes in every single way. I guess it all boils down to how much and what you demand for the money you put up. No offense meant, the bike is great and whenever I go for long rides of over 200kms I wouldn't mind having the option to ride a Ninja instead but I just don't see anything premium about it. A Honda CBR250RR or a similar Kawasaki if it is ever made, now that is inarguably premium and one does not need to be muddled with love over ownership to justify that.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th April 2017 at 15:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 15:30   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

The snapshots look positive, they have stayed close to the prototype displayed.

TVS down south is a pretty established brand, i have said this before, all i had was nightmares with the First Pulsar, so many niggles, that i just got frustrated and sold it. The generations after have definitely been much better.Have been riding an pache ever since, and it is just a no fuss bike. SOme one mentioned TVS service is probably not great, i have had a pretty fuss free experience there as well. Maybe because i neer had any niggles, and they were all normal services.

I am definitely looking forward to Akula(I hope TVS keeps the name), and hope it succeeds. On paper TVS seems to have all it's base covered, a full blown review would cover the rest. An OTR cost of under 2.5 lacs and i will probably be the first in line to book one.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 19:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...- It could be a case of getting the TVS Apache RTR 310 first and then launching the G310R as a BMW. But this doesn't make any sense to me....
It could be a well thought out strategy. If there is any major flaws with the engine, it gives BMW a good time to work on before launching the G310R. No reputation loss for the brand while TVS will be the guinea pig. But on the other hand, I'd not expect any major problems when BMW is involved, still this might be a good test for the Indian part makers' process & quality focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
To me that's terrible news. Due to the facts you have brought up, I feel TVS ought to take this as an opportunity to create a new sub-brand (not sure what the terminology is here)...
The way I understand, Apache is a strong brand for the TVS. This product could add a halo to that image.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th April 2017 at 19:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 08:23   #49
BHPian

TVS Akula spotted during dyno test.

Credit: xBhp
Nicky is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 10:32   #50
BHPian

The R3, Ninja 300 and similar bikes are unfortunately expensive as they are made abroad and partially assembled here. Hence all those extra duty taxes and costs. The Akula will be made here so it'll be competitive in pricing
It's not possible to compare the R3, Ninja or even the Akula maybe with the RC or Duke bikes made by Bajaj. The quality of materials and build quality on Bajaj bikes just isn't up to the mark. That's the reason they can sell them for a lower price. Every KTM motorbike owner I have known including myself ( duke 200) has had to take his bike multiple times to the dealer for issues regarding Oil seals, gear shift shafts, tyres, coolant leakages, broken casted parts and other issues where as friend I know who had the first batch Ninja 250 ( sold recently after approx. 1 lac kms.) has never ever visited the workshop other than periodic maintenance.

Last edited by Crankpin : 26th April 2017 at 10:34.
Crankpin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 12:55   #51
BHPian

I sincerely hope TVS does not screw up with insane graphics on this motorcycle. If it comes in the RTR paint schemes, this would be a stunning looking motorcycle for sure. Considering that it shares most of its components with the BMW G310R/GS, this could finally be the motorcycle that checks most of the Indian (read thought process) check boxes while considering a motorcycle. I love motorcycles with fairing and although not as sharp as the R3, this is surely a gorgeous motorcycle.

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 26th April 2017 at 12:57.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 15:59   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks brilliant in that Matt black shade, hope they get the matt red shade too, it looks so awesome on Apache 200.

TVS now just need to price it well and they will see good numbers, hope they take a cue from Dominar pricing.

Last but not the least get the bike in the showrooms just after launch

This is the shade i want this bike to be in, and i am sold.

AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:27   #53
BHPian

Production TVS Akula 310 could be called the TVS Apache RR 310S

Source

Quote:
A new filing in the patent design and trademark department reveals that the TVS Akula 310’s production version will very likely get the branding, TVS Apache RR 310S. While the bike will not be a track-centric motorcycle as showcased in concept form at the Auto Expo, the change in dynamics and ergonomics will make the machine urban-friendly
vin_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

TVS Akula 310 Official Teaser Specifications Features Walkaround

If you watch the video keenly, @ 2:38 minutes you will observe the Kerb Weight is mentioned as 130 kgs. If that is true then this bike will be one of the lightest in its category. Remember the Yamaha FZ25 weighs 158 kilos and the Bajaj Dominar 400 tips the scale at 182 kilos.

Looks like TVS has used some really light weight components to restrict the total mass at such low levels.
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:06   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
TVS Akula 310 Official Teaser Specifications Features Walkaround

If you watch the video keenly, @ 2:38 minutes you will observe the Kerb Weight is mentioned as 130 kgs. If that is true then this bike will be one of the lightest in its category. Remember the Yamaha FZ25 weighs 158 kilos and the Bajaj Dominar 400 tips the scale at 182 kilos.

Looks like TVS has used some really light weight components to restrict the total mass at such low levels.
mate that video is from last year, talking about the prototype and not the production variant.

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd May 2017 at 15:08.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember the Yamaha FZ25 weighs 158 kilos
The FZ25 weighs 148 kg, with oil & a full fuel tank, as per the website.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/mo...ification-fz25

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd May 2017 at 15:20.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
mate that video is from last year, talking about the prototype and not the production variant.
Ohhh, my bad. I didn't realize that . Prototype could probably be lighter due to carbon fibre fairing/ components. Will have to watch out for the production variant. Any idea what is the kerb weight of the production variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The FZ25 weighs 148 kg, with oil & a full fuel tank, as per the website.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/mo...ification-fz25

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram for correcting me, it is indeed 148 kilos.
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:52   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ohhh, my bad. I didn't realize that . Prototype could probably be lighter due to carbon fibre fairing/ components. Will have to watch out for the production variant. Any idea what is the kerb weight of the production variant?

Thanks Vikram for correcting me, it is indeed 148 kilos.
Those details aren't out yet, but my guess will be around 170-180 Kgs.
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Akula 310 chased by a Duke 390. Credit to the original uploader.

swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:21   #60
BHPian

Somehow, I liked the concept name Akula itself to be given for the production version. Apache RTR sounds old and incremental somehow! For the first time I am looking at TVS for the bikes and this Akula. This is going to be a game changer for TVS. If they can pull of a refined bike with better handling, it is winner in the waiting! All the best to TVS. I like the design, looks serious and now can not wait to do test ride. It's going to be either RC390, Dominor 400 or this for me in a couple of months.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed