Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 12:42   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TVS Akula 310 unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Might sell though - as it looks sexy and might perform well too. But this is not the RC killer everyone expected, for this pricing.
It reminds me of Honda CBR 250R. It was priced 1.9 lakhs for ABS version. CBR saw a few buyers primarily because it was a Honda's global product, and there was no competition to speak off, in 2011, except the Ninja 250r.

Now, with the cut throat competition, I dont think people will find value in this bike. People who love looks will focus their attention and money on the upcoming R15 v3.0

2.35 lakhs otr for a TVS is something many wouldnt be able to digest.

@VW2010- Ktm 390s have 320mm brakes, not 300.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
They might come up with the more highway oriented version without the fairings and that would cost around what you said.
For that they will need to increase fuel tank capacity from 11 litres. It's lesser even than Dominar as of now.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:46   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. But this is not the RC killer everyone expected, for this pricing.

Perfect bike to now sell RC more in numbers if KTM start marketing right. The missing components alone will make up for the 30k deficit. Looks like this bike was meant to be launched along with RC390 Version 1. Just arrived 3 years too late.
Quote:
@VW2010- Ktm 390s have 320mm brakes, not 300.

Actually i meant the Akula has 300mm brakes and losing in that front as well. We all know how poor that 300mm was even in RC 3 years back.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:49   #199
Senior - BHPian

The bike is just launched and Autocar has reviewed it.
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-re..._medium=Social

To me it should be called SS(Sensible Sport) instead of RR . For people looking at performance KTM RC390 is the best bet but if you want a bit real world comfort RR is the one to go.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:50   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
That would atleast be 2 years away, what they would want to do is to make sure, that this sells and is supported well.

Any confirmation on availability?
I don't know when it would be released. I mentioned based on the speculations in our forum and internet. But it is quite logical that they would come up with the naked version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Yes and expect it to be priced atleast at 3.XX Ex showroom, seeing how they have priced this.
Being BMW it is always going to be expensive, otherwise, they would lose their brand value and they don't have the infrastructure to support the volume it would generate if priced VFM.

Quote:
And that would compete against what? Dominar 400? Looks to be 30k more than the Dominar at that price!
Yes expensive than Dominar but more in line with Mojo. So doesn't it sound quite ok?

Quote:
Priced too closed to the RC 390. My opinion as well. Might sell though - as it looks sexy and might perform well too. But this is not the RC killer everyone expected, for this pricing.
Forgive my ignorance but is RC390 selling in good numbers? Being in Bangalore, I have seen quite a few naked 390s but rarely spotted RC 390.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:52   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being BMW it is always going to be expensive, otherwise, they would lose their brand value and they don't have the infrastructure to support the volume it would generate if priced VFM

Not sure if this is gives that percetional feel of BMW. I still see this as TVS. The 310R is more like BMW IMHO. The bike also looks very small in a couple of pictures. Waiting to see in flesh to get a feel of the bike.

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th December 2017 at 12:54.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:54   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Here you go.. The first official pic of the TVS Apache RR310

EDIT: Specifications added
Did anyone notice performance typo
Old 6th December 2017, 12:55   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Being BMW it is always going to be expensive, otherwise, they would lose their brand value and they don't have the infrastructure to support the volume it would generate if priced VFM.

Calling Apache rr310 a BMW is like calling Dominar 400 a KTM.
Agreed, the roots are the same, but they are different brands altogether.

I guess BMW will price G310r bang at the Duke 390's price level. 2.3-2.4 lakhs ex showroom. That will make sense
Old 6th December 2017, 12:57   #204
BHPian

Wait wait wait!!! Aprilia RSV4 is a mom now? Looks like a new born kid of RSV4.
Glad to see no de tuning in terms of power. Price is a little letdown compared to ktm but still good compared to some other manufacturers...
Pros: looks, BMW engine
Cons: No slipper clutch, poor exhaust system looks and sound, poor pricing, more track focused ( not suitable for daily commuting)
Old 6th December 2017, 12:59   #205
BHPian

Optimistic pricing from TVS. They seem to have taken RC 390 so seriously that they even matched its launch price

The big bike looks along with comfortable riding posture might lead to this selling more than the RC. TVS badge for 2.05L may make some think twice too.

Last edited by theredliner : 6th December 2017 at 13:11.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:00   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes expensive than Dominar but more in line with Mojo. So doesn't it sound quite ok?
Not at all. Because Dominar is almost struggling even at that price point. Whereas Mojo is on life support. Would be a struggle to sell a naked variant of this against Dominar at Mojo prices.

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but is RC390 selling in good numbers? Being in Bangalore, I have seen quite a few naked 390s but rarely spotted RC 390.
Because of the practicality of the nakeds. Tough days ahead for the 310. Might do even lesser numbers than the 390, as in almost every biking groups I've seen this topic running - the general consensus is that the messed up the pricing by 20 - 25k.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th December 2017 at 13:01.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:03   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not sure if this is gives that percetional feel of BMW. I still see this as TVS. The 310R is more like BMW IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Calling Apache rr310 a BMW is like calling Dominar 400 a KTM.
Agreed, the roots are the same, but they are different brands altogether.

I guess BMW will price G310r bang at the Duke 390's price level. 2.3-2.4 lakhs ex showroom. That will make sense
I was saying BMW g310r when launched would be expensive (@3.XX lakhs or more) and not the TVS version. I really can't imagine a BMW bike @ 2.3 - 2.4 lakhs. Let us see when it is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
For that they will need to increase fuel tank capacity from 11 litres. It's lesser even than Dominar as of now.
I hope they do. One of the design constraints of this RR310 is to keep the bike narrow and hence such a small tank maybe?

Quote:
Not at all. Because Dominar is almost struggling even at that price point. Whereas Mojo is on life support. Would be a struggle to sell a naked variant of this against Dominar at Mojo prices.
Dominar, when released, was praised for the pricing. Mojo was never mentioned as expensive. So pricing is not the reason for their struggles. I don't know why but Mahindra still has very high hopes and even going to release another Mojo model(with cost-cutting) priced similarly to Dominar. So comparing the current features, naked version of RR310 priced in line with current Mojo is quite ok with respect to market standards? Will it sell is entirely a different topic.

Quote:
Because of the practicality of the nakeds. Tough days ahead for the 310. Might do even lesser numbers than the 390, as in almost every biking groups I've seen this topic running - the general consensus is that the messed up the pricing by 20 - 25k.
Even I was expecting 1.8 Lakhs. Why would anyone pay 2L for a TVS? . But how many RC390 is selling? So TVS may not have high expectation with RR310 as well.

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 6th December 2017 at 13:17.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:13   #208
Team-BHP Support

Just read the Overdrive report that Michelin Pilot Street radials are standard. That offsets the Metzelers then.

Pilot radials are brilliant tyres and many 650 guys are downgrading to it as well to keep costs in check, but not compromise much on performance.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:16   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was saying BMW g310r when launched would be expensive (@3.XX lakhs or more) and not the TVS version. I really can't imagine a BMW bike @ 2.3 - 2.4 lakhs. Let us see when it is released.

Is g310 a twin cylinder? No

Yamaha is a great brand too, but they sell FZ25 at 1.25 lakhs ex showroom. Why? Because Indian market is vfm driven one, and selling a single cylinder 34bhp bike at 3.xx lakhs will automatically send buyers to Benelli 300 twins or Ninja 400. Anything over duke 390's price will prove detrimental to tvs-bmw.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:16   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really can't imagine a BMW bike @ 2.3 - 2.4 lakhs. Let us see when it is released.
It cannot be priced above KTM. It will have snob buyers like a passat buyer. But practical shopper will see the over selling if not priced right.
By the way BMW is not a brand that comes with great reliability figures even in motorcycles. Bikes will be loaded with tech while the tech is electronics and the maximum repair that BMW users have faced is around these electronics.

I am not downplaying 310R, but pricing it right matters. This akula will still sell. The apache fan club is real and they will continue to support the new products from TVS. But unless they pay and get some reviewers to post performance, riding feel and overall figures close to RC390 or better than RC390, it is facing some stiff competition due to pricing. 1.99 vs 2 has a huge psychological factor. Once you cross 1.99, 2.35 looks affordable.

Read this online which summarizes my thought about BMW tag. (credit to latimes.com)

"European bikes are engineered for character and sex appeal, and Japanese bikes are engineered for reliability," Day said. "The Japanese bikes are bulletproof, but there's a perception of exclusivity that comes with the Ducatis and KTMs. The idea of owning a European bike still feels more special."

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th December 2017 at 13:22.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed