Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 09:36   #301
BHPian

Re: Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
TO all the SR 150 owners:
I am planning to buy a family scooter where different family members ( male & female of different age brackets) including myself would be using it for odd errands around the city. I like the retro looks of vespa series but ruled it our as its a bit expensive to begin with. Based on the arm-chair research, i am more tuned towards Suzuki access 125 - special edition. But a part of me is inclined towards the SR150. Currently I ride a Versys 650 and a triumph Bonneville and am accustomed to a bit of power, hence the inclination towards SR 150. Sporty looks is ok with family, Can live with modest storage space as well, Mileage is not a bother, but a stiff suspension may be an issue. have read some negative ownership experiences on other sites, so wanted to know what fellow rides here think of my situation? Any pointers would be very helpful.
Honestly , for your case , I wouldnt even suggest access . IN a subtle way you've said , that you'd prefer something that allows you to glide over pot holes without worrying too much about the jerk. The only scooter I would suggest is the Jupiter . Its like a sofa on road .
Been a x owner of Wego and a current owner of SR 150 and was in two minds before buying SR 150 , was deciding between SR 150 and jupiter . Jupiter is absolute comfort , just like the wego . Access , not so much . Access is just OK OK , honestly .
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 17:50   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Honestly , for your case , I wouldnt even suggest access . IN a subtle way you've said , that you'd prefer something that allows you to glide over pot holes without worrying too much about the jerk. The only scooter I would suggest is the Jupiter . Its like a sofa on road .
Been a x owner of Wego and a current owner of SR 150 and was in two minds before buying SR 150 , was deciding between SR 150 and jupiter . Jupiter is absolute comfort , just like the wego . Access , not so much . Access is just OK OK , honestly .
Thanks. Will try and test ride the Jupiter this weekend. Yes, suspension/comfort is one of the important factor, as the scooter will be used by multiple family members. The more i read about aprilia the more i think its not suitable for my present requirement. Actually i was considering Sr150 on a selfish note for whenever i ride it . But i have my heart set on a light weight adv type bike anyways (baby gs or speculated 390 adv types) whenever they come. So will settle for one of these Access 125/ Jupiter type for the typical family work horse.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:31   #303
Senior - BHPian

Has the suspension softened up a bit ? What about rattles ? There are reports of noises coming from the CVT and one guy sold of his bike as it kept breaking down even after Piaggio swapped out his engine for a new one

Is the service centre in Pune the official Piaggio Motoplex one ? There isnt one in Mumbai and just a single dealer and service center here so we are at its mercy. I had sent an email to team Aprilia @ Piaggio over a month ago and they havent responded so Im in a quandary on how the company support is going to be in case the dealer misbehaves.
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:18   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Nothing wrong at all; that's typical of a CVT and it is called the rubber band effect. You need to plan a overtake maneuver in advance.
Update. While giving scooter for service today told them about this issue. They told will let me know after checking. Turns out that air filter is choked. Replaced the same. Scooter feels good as new.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:05   #305
BHPian

Yesterday, on my way back to Bengaluru from Chikmagalur, I was doing speeds of about 80kmph on the Hassan-Tumkur Road stretch. I noticed a vehicle in my rear view mirror with its headlights on (AHO possibly) fast approaching and in an instant overtook me. Was surprised to see it was the SR150! Surprising because he was able to overtake me and disappear into the distance within no time. I'm truly amazed but have been wondering about its top speed and how stable it is at that speed!
Old 4th August 2017, 16:17   #306
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I got the delivery of my SR150 few days ago. I'm enjoying the ride so far and planning to complete the first service in some days. Just have a few questions for the fellow owners here if someone can help

1. It simply takes a lot of effort to get it started in the morning. How do you guys start it? I spend atleast 4-5 minutes trying to kick/self start with choke/no choke with accelerator/no accelerator. It simply won't idle and keeps turning off without any accelerator inputs.

2. There is pretty noticeable warm air flow from underside of the footboard on left side close to the side stand. It can be easily felt when engine is revved up. In slow moving traffic, the warm air flow is pretty irritating on the left leg especially when I'm on those short rides with legs exposed (Read: no socks or full trousers) I spoke to the dealership and they stated that's the exhaust underneath on left side while the silencer is on the other side. My scooter knowledge is very limited but this definitely surprises me. I did notice the same air flow on the test drive/demo vehicles at the showroom. Any one can comment on this ? I didn't find any information around this on general search of internet. I tried to find the source of air but didn't find any leads.

Thank you
Old 6th August 2017, 16:59   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Hello everyone,

I got the delivery of my SR150 few days ago. I'm enjoying the ride so far and planning to complete the first service in some days. Just have a few questions for the fellow owners here if someone can help

1. It simply takes a lot of effort to get it started in the morning. How do you guys start it? I spend atleast 4-5 minutes trying to kick/self start with choke/no choke with accelerator/no accelerator. It simply won't idle and keeps turning off without any accelerator inputs.

2. There is pretty noticeable warm air flow from underside of the footboard on left side close to the side stand. It can be easily felt when engine is revved up. In slow moving traffic, the warm air flow is pretty irritating on the left leg especially when I'm on those short rides with legs exposed (Read: no socks or full trousers) I tried to find the source of air but didn't find any leads.

Thank you
Congrats on getting the bike. Its a lovely piece of machinery. Do post some pics here.

The hard start is an issue. You need to take it to the showroom to get it fixed. Its has a carburetor so its a setting change that is required. Since you just got it, i don't think its an air filter being clogged.

The air coming on your left leg is normal. There is indeed enough information on google about it. Its a small fan trying to cool the engine.

Just curious whats your left leg doing dangling out. Maybe a la Rossi while braking

Some relevant links. There's quite a bit more out there.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic68484?view=previous

https://www.scootershack.co.uk/threa...ing-air.30727/
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 18:52   #308
BHPian

Has anyone here upgraded the headlamp bulbs?
What would be the ideal upgrade specs? Is a projector set-up possible?
Can anyone suggest a dependable shop in Chennai where I can get this done with peace of mind?
Old 7th August 2017, 12:28   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Congrats on getting the bike. Its a lovely piece of machinery. Do post some pics here.

The hard start is an issue. You need to take it to the showroom to get it fixed. Its has a carburetor so its a setting change that is required. Since you just got it, i don't think its an air filter being clogged.

The air coming on your left leg is normal. There is indeed enough information on google about it. Its a small fan trying to cool the engine.

Just curious whats your left leg doing dangling out. Maybe a la Rossi while braking

Some relevant links. There's quite a bit more out there.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic68484?view=previous

https://www.scootershack.co.uk/threa...ing-air.30727/
Lovely piece of machinery it is and I couldn't agree more on this.
Dealing with the starting issues for now, will address it in first service. No major concerns as such, the grouse is it does idle without a bit of accelerator so I have to give it just a tad bit of gas for a couple on minutes to get the motor up to speed.

Well, thank you for the clarification on the hot air bit. I wouldn't deny it but I was a bit alarmed when I first noted it but then after some probing with SVC guys I was sure this is normal but just needed a technical explanation to this. Thanks to your links, I have a fair idea now.

About the a la Rossi leg dangle, I'm hoping that will come later post run in period on some beautiful highway corners. For now, the crawling traffic of mumbai is more of the reason to get the left leg down most of the times
Old 7th August 2017, 17:51   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely piece of machinery it is and I couldn't agree more on this.
Dealing with the starting issues for now, will address it in first service. No major concerns as such, the grouse is it does idle without a bit of accelerator so I have to give it just a tad bit of gas for a couple on minutes to get the motor up to speed.

Well, thank you for the clarification on the hot air bit. I wouldn't deny it but I was a bit alarmed when I first noted it but then after some probing with SVC guys I was sure this is normal but just needed a technical explanation to this. Thanks to your links, I have a fair idea now.

About the a la Rossi leg dangle, I'm hoping that will come later post run in period on some beautiful highway corners. For now, the crawling traffic of mumbai is more of the reason to get the left leg down most of the times
How much did it cost you OTR in Mumbai ? Im also from Mumbai and considering one. Id also like to know how the Dealer and SC is, since the Planet Moto Goregaon showroom is the only one in Mumbai for Vespa and Aprilia
Old 7th August 2017, 18:47   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
How much did it cost you OTR in Mumbai ? Im also from Mumbai and considering one. Id also like to know how the Dealer and SC is, since the Planet Moto Goregaon showroom is the only one in Mumbai for Vespa and Aprilia
Well the following is purely my opinion from my visits to Aprilia/Vespa showrooms. I visited Planetmoto as well as BVR automotobiles in Mira road a few times before zeroing in. Both showrooms were decently managed (read much better and accomodating attitude then the sales people at Honda or Hero when I visited them). Lets talk about these showrooms individually.

BVR auto - I visited them a couple of times in June/July and the place is small, quiet and not much rush so I was attended promptly on all the occasion. I was offered refreshments all the times while I was there and test rides were a breeze although within the small adjacent lane of the showroom. The information flow for pricing, availability, registration etc was pretty transparent and simple. I was quoted 82 k on road with accessories but final negotiated price was 80k for immediate booking. When I actually booked after a week or two, I booked with 1k advance & delivery promised in 3-4 days. I requested to review the allotted model before registration and they promptly complied, in fact on D-Day they brought out couple of white beauties (again on my request to get one extra set of wheels in case I find some issue in the one they bring for me) to visually verify and confirm one.
Delivery went smoothly, documents were submitted and awaiting registration now. I also had a chance to visit the SVC for BVR to inquire about my aforementioned warm air issue and I was attended quickly though the place looked a bit congested and not something I would expect to see in a SVC of scooters costing almost as much as premium 150 bikes. Looks apart, I'm waiting for first service but seems it shouldn't be much of an issue. I wanted to get Mobile charger and side foot rest installed and the manager there offered to provide the installations right then & there although it was a weekend and place looked busy so kudos to them. Also to be noted, by the time I actually booked after my first visit, the offer of 80k was no longer valid and the price was some 81.5 k but they lived upto their earlier offer after some calls to their seniors. Also, i'm getting the vehicle registered in Mumbai 01 RTO at no additional cost unlike the Honda people who asked for Rs 650 more if I were to register anywhere apart from Thane MH04 RTO.
The only small problem is they simply don't call back or follow up with you for anything. They didn't call me after my first inquiry and promising signs to book soon, on delivery day or a day before, after delivery to get some pending registration documents, to provide me my insurance copy after delivery etc. It was always me calling them to get the things sorted but that wasn't much of an issue. I was expecting a better customer response from premium scooter re-seller since TVS sales people set the bar high on this count. Nevertheless, its really not a factor to consider if you like the machines they are offering in the niche segment.

PlanetMoto - The place was busy with lots of operations running simultaneously but someone was there to attend me within a short wait of few minutes. After some general inquiry, i was offered solo test rides of whichever model i preferred (I rode a Vespa since I had already ridden Aprilia earlier). Loan options were simply explained and I was in and out of the showroom with all the details I needed plus test ride in 30 minute. They didn't follow up with me till date as well. Price quoted was 82 k as well but on quoting the price from other dealer of 80k, they reluctantly brought their price down to match the same as well without a fuss. The manager out there seemed like a professional & courteous fellow to deal with.

So if you are anywhere close to Western Mumbai suburbs, BVR should be good. Going also purely by google reviews and ratings, BVR triumphs there slightly but I guess its newer so less reviews and better service for now.

If you are not convinced with either of them due to some or the other reasons but pretty serious to get this mean machine, there are two more dealers in close viscinity to Mumbai i.e. Kian Motors (Panvel) and Soniya Two wheelers (Kalyan). I guess Mumbaikars will have to live with these limited options for now if they plan to get Vespa/Aprilia from authorized sources

Happy hunting. Cheers
Old 7th August 2017, 19:40   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the following is purely my opinion from my visits to Aprilia/Vespa showrooms. I visited Planetmoto as well as BVR automotobiles in Mira road a few times before zeroing in. Both showrooms were decently managed (read much better and accomodating attitude then the sales people at Honda or Hero when I visited them). Lets talk about these showrooms individually.
Thanks for the detailed info. Im actually located in Santacruz so I guess Planet Moto makes more sense for me since its closer. You mentioned 80K with accessories, does that include the side stand and charger ? May I ask what was the month of manufacture of your SR 150 ? Also was there any news on the upcoming SR 125 ?

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2017 at 20:58. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 7th August 2017, 20:11   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info. Im actually located in Santacruz so I guess Planet Moto makes more sense for me since its closer. You mentioned 80K with accessories, does that include the side stand and charger ? May I ask what was the month of manufacture of your SR 150 ? Also was there any news on the upcoming SR 125 ?
Planet Moto should be the one in that case. If you have any issues with the service and spares there, you have another service center some 25 kms away in Mira road so that may partially deal with your prime concern of just one Dealer/SVC in Mumbai.

It is bit difficult to decode the VIN of Aprilia SR150 so I was unable to find the month but I was told its July 2017 manufactured. I had to take their word for it. Tyres are from may 2017 as decoded by a friend

No news of SR125 with both the dealers. Unless you are looking to buy it urgently like I was, I would recommend you to wait for it. Maybe it will have some issues (vibrations, suspension etc) of SR150 sorted while the power loss is still livable enough with the smaller engine

Standard accessories like side stand, no. plate, parking cover, saree guard, bolted floor mat and mirrors. Charger costs extra 950 bucks as told by the SVC guys
Old 8th August 2017, 19:58   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planet Moto should be the one in that case. If you have any issues with the service and spares there, you have another service center some 25 kms away in Mira road so that may partially deal with your prime concern of just one Dealer/SVC in Mumbai.

It is bit difficult to decode the VIN of Aprilia SR150 so I was unable to find the month but I was told its July 2017 manufactured. I had to take their word for it. Tyres are from may 2017 as decoded by a friend

No news of SR125 with both the dealers. Unless you are looking to buy it urgently like I was, I would recommend you to wait for it. Maybe it will have some issues (vibrations, suspension etc) of SR150 sorted while the power loss is still livable enough with the smaller engine

Standard accessories like side stand, no. plate, parking cover, saree guard, bolted floor mat and mirrors. Charger costs extra 950 bucks as told by the SVC guys
Its definitely reassuring to know that there is another SC that I can approach in case of issues that may arise.
As you said, Im not in a hurry to buy the bike, was planning on waiting for the festive season which is possibly when the SR 125 may launch since they were spotted at the dealership a couple of months ago.
I too am hoping that it will take care of the few issues that do exist with the SR 150, namely the ride quality, vibrations and some CVT issues.
Since its my first two wheeler purchase and I plan on keeping it for a while, it makes sense to wait rather than suffer buyers remorse later. I dont mind sacrificing a bit of power which most likely will come from the top end, if the attractive form factor is maintained. Since Im new to biking, I doubt I will be taking the bike over 60 too often, especially on our horrible roads and over 80 rarer still as the only highways I will use will be the ones inside the city.
I liked the Navi too and took a test ride on my friends bike and I felt that the front end was a bit too light and kind of had a mind of its own in some way. It was a bit scary. Also even though both of us are average sized, it wasnt comfortable with both myself and my wife on the bike.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:36   #315
BHPian

Quote:
I too am hoping that it will take care of the few issues that do exist with the SR 150, namely the ride quality, vibrations and some CVT issues.
Since its my first two wheeler purchase and I plan on keeping it for a while, it makes sense to wait rather than suffer buyers remorse later. I dont mind sacrificing a bit of power which most likely will come from the top end, if the attractive form factor is maintained. Since Im new to biking, I doubt I will be taking the bike over 60 too often, especially on our horrible roads and over 80 rarer still as the only highways I will use will be the ones inside the city.
I liked the Navi too and took a test ride on my friends bike and I felt that the front end was a bit too light and kind of had a mind of its own in some way. It was a bit scary. Also even though both of us are average sized, it wasnt comfortable with both myself and my wife on the bike.
Well, I sure do hope Aprilia/Piaggio engineers clear up their agenda while finalizing SR125 to sort out the numerous evident complaints that the owners have raised for the SR150 so far. I'm sure its not much of a task for such a big brand to tackle these minor concerns if they acknowledge them in the first place.

Secondly, I'll tell you from the personal experience and a popular saying, there's no replacement for displacement. When I bought my first bike back in 2009, I was new to biking as well and a decent 100cc would be intimidating to me. I tried several bikes/scooters and was absolutely certain to buy something which is less than 150 cc for some of the exact reasons that you stated like no use in city and limited speed runs between 60-80 etc. But a friend convinced me that it's just a matter of time when you get used to that additional power (hardly a couple of BHPs). You can always go slow (60-80) on a fast bike (150cc-250cc in this context) but you cant't comfortably go fast (90-100) on a slow one (100 cc - 125 cc).

I got myself Yamaha FZ150 cc purely for city use back then (probable 50-70 kmph max as envisioned at time of buying) but then priorities changed, I started a lot of bike touring and have been to 10+ states on this machine. I can't tell you how glad I am since I decided to go for a reliable 150cc engine rather than a 100-125 cc engine which seemed to be more than adequate for me back then. Also not saying that the buying 150cc is the best, had I bought CBR250r, I would have been writing the same post today saying I am glad I didn't buy 150cc

Point of the matter is, this is your first bike and your priorities may change soon after the purchase. I've known a handful of friends who have upgraded to higher CCs in a year or two after their first purchase since they felt they could handle more quite soon enough.

Please don't take the post out of context, if you are absolute new to biking, maybe it's best you start off with a really humble scooter than a slightly aggressive one such as SR here. But the very fact that you are looking at this one tells me you can handle more. So the 125 or 150 shouldn't matter as much until you take a test ride of both and decide. Infact, market is opening up so do look out for other better options as well.

Happy buying

Most Viewed