Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2016, 14:32   #211
BHPian

Re: Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000

Took delivery of my Aprilia on 3rd Nov 2016!

Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000-motoscoot.jpeg
Showroom guy taking Chassis Number after PDI.

It cost me INR 76,300 on road excluding insurance which I bought online from Bajaj Allianz. This is a Long Term 3yrs Comprehensive Policy which cost me INR 4560.

It’s been a week since I took delivery & during this period, I've made note of the following randon observations:
  • Looks lovely and gets a lot of attention on the roads. Total strangers don't hesitate to stop and ask about the vehicle.
  • I found the engine to be powerful & always eager. Never fails to bring a smile on your face each time you twist your right wrist!
  • The front Disc Brake is excellent. It’s very powerful, yet linear at the same time. The same however cannot be said about the rear drum brakes which need a heavy squeeze to get any braking effect.
  • I'm 5'6" tall and yet have no difficulty with the seat height or with managing the scoot in stop & go traffic.
  • Tyres have a lot of grip and I simply love those tread patterns!
  • The electrical system is all DC and even the headlamps work without having to start the engine. However, in it’s factory setting, I found the headlamp to be angled too high. Need to get this realigned and even then, the intensity of light is on the lower side. Will need to look for a higher wattage bulbs like 55w, specially for the low beam which I will be using mostly.
  • Under seat storage space is on the lower side and does not fit my current VEGA half face helmet. Will need to look for a smaller one that fits.
  • During acceleration, the engine makes a very audible metallic sound. Not too sure if this is engine knocking or the sound of tappets. Had checked this on 3-4 available scoots in the showroom and all of them were making this sound.
  • There is no clear coat layer applied on the body graphic stickers which makes them susceptible to peel off from the edges due to rubbing / cleaning over time.
  • So far, my only major concern is the hard suspension, especially the front forks. Will try lowering the tyre pressure to see if it helps. If that doesn’t work then maybe even try thicker fork oil or try to replace the fork springs from different scooters.
I must mention that I moved to the new Aprilia from my 4yr old Wego and so far, I'm loving it
vikash49 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 14:45   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
[*] So far, my only major concern is the hard suspension, especially the front forks. Will try lowering the tyre pressure to see if it helps. If that doesn’t work then maybe even try thicker fork oil or try to replace the fork springs from different scooters.
Adding a heavier fork oil will increase the stiffness. A lower viscosity oil might make things slightly better.
Old 10th November 2016, 15:13   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
  • Under seat storage space is on the lower side and does not fit my current VEGA half face helmet. Will need to look for a smaller one that fits.
  • So far, my only major concern is the hard suspension
1) I thought the same, even thought I'd order a full face helmet box(then found that it costs more than half the price of the bike to import). But then after having the bike delivered figured that putting in the half face helmet backwards worked fine.
2) I guess the suspension has softened slightly after 1200Km and bad roads.

Last edited by gendarmee : 10th November 2016 at 15:17.
gendarmee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 21:56   #214
BHPian

Update on mileage and ride comfort on bad roads :-

1) Mileage :- In my second tankful to tankful method I got 38 kmpl. This time I religiously switched off engine at signals. Maybe that helped. Last time it was 35 kmpl.

2) Ride comfort on bad roads : As suggested by a member in another forum, I pumped in nitrogen and reduced trye pressure to 25 & 26 psi for front and rear. But this has "hardly" improved ride comfort on bad roads.

Otherwise as always I am enjoying my ride.

Thanks,
Rajiv
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:50   #215
Senior - BHPian

Test Ride

Took a brief test ride of the Scooter in Trivandrum couple of days ago.

As the ride was a relatively short one - only about 10 KM, wouldn't be fair to do a full/detailed review.

First Impression
  • The Scooter is a peppy little one.
  • Looks nice and cotemporary and miniature of the higher capacity Scooters we see in Europe
  • Engine was reasonably powerful reasonable power in reserve on twist your right wrist!
  • Felt that the Disc Brake is efficient and did its job efficiently when called up on. With the rear combine its really enough for it. The rear drums I think has adequate power on its own.
  • Behavior under braking was quiet civilized and as expected without any surprises.
  • According to me, the 30" tyres and Telescopic Forks are the real USPs of this scooty.
The ride was very comfortable even on "pot holed" sections of the road. I felt that the ride quality and handling was more akin to a bike and people not used to that (primarily scooter riders) may feel that the ride is not as soft as the other scooter offering currently in the market. In that sense this is definitely a different amimal.

A bit of concern I felt was that, the odd noise out of the engine while on max torque or accelerating - almost a "tinny" noise. Don't know if it has something to do with design of the exhaust system. Would love to check out the "sporty exhaust" as well.

Another grouse I already felt was the odd shaped RV Mirrors - the view I felt was rather bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it specially in a crowded city like Bangalore - will have to change them to some after market large sized ones, if and when I go for it

Couple of pictures of the test bike.

Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000-pic-2-.jpg

Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000-pic-2-b.jpg

The scooty had the side stand attachment on it and it was quiet easy to deploy while seated

Since there were a few mentions of the riding height of the scooter here I thought I should put this pic here as well

Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000-pic-1-aa.jpg

I am just 5.5' and I had absolutely no issues on the scooty.

After the first ride I would give it a and would definitely go in for one as a runabout.

The Trivandrum dealer had a stock of nearly 20 SR150 on stock and he said all of them were received against specific bookings. The "Modification process" going on in the market had put a temporary halt in the process and he was hoping that the delivery activities would re-start soon.

I felt inclined towards the all black rather than the white. The finish on first glance is slightly below a 10/10 level

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th November 2016 at 15:58.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:59   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Test Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
[*]According to me, the 30" tyres and Telescopic Forks are the real USPs of this scooty.
Must be quite an experience driving a Scooter with 30inch tyres

Jokes apart, you are right that the engine is really powerful but IMO its more suitable for college goers than for people who want to use it for daily errands since the storage capacity is too less to do so.

PS: Please don't call it a Scooty! it would be like insulting this vehicle IMHO.
Old 15th November 2016, 17:03   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Test Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Must be quite an experience driving a Scooter with 30inch tyres

PS: Please don't call it a Scooty! it would be like insulting this vehicle IMHO.
Thanks for picking the typo.

You are correct - should call it the "Motoscoot" probably.

Lack of storage space - Yes this is not for those it's a criteria (storage space). But for me, its not an issue. The errands I do on my bike can be done very conveniently with SR150. That's all.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th November 2016 at 17:08.
Old 15th November 2016, 20:51   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Another grouse I already felt was the odd shaped RV Mirrors - the view I felt was rather bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it specially in a crowded city like Bangalore - will have to change them to some after market large sized ones
Hi, I am using this Motoscoot since last one month. After riding it on day one I felt the mirror to be not to my liking . I was not at all satisfied with it. In fact was planning to get it replaced with some after market one. But that was not required.
Just remove the rubber cap, loosen the nut and adjust the mirror as required. It's that easy.
The stock mirrors are absolutely liveable with.
Please try this solution.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 15th November 2016 at 20:53.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 22:32   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
After riding it on day one I felt the mirror to be not to my liking . I was not at all satisfied with it. In fact was planning to get it replaced with some after market one. But that was not required.
Just remove the rubber cap, loosen the nut and adjust the mirror as required. It's that easy.
Thanks

Perhaps I didn't make it very clear. I like to have RV Mirrors with a large surface than what's currently on the SR150. That just my personal preference, that's all. Same goes for Cars as well - in my cars, big/large size OVRMs is a deciding factor.

For two wheelers I prefer mirrors that have an area of 5 sq. inches approximately, at least and of a regular shape - circle, rectangular or square. The odd irregular shape of the current one - shows only a small slice of what's behind, when you need to know, and I hate that (may be I am too old school ).

I am aware what adjustments are possible on the SR150 RVMs but to change it to a larger size - only swap from those available in the market is possible.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th November 2016 at 22:37.
Old 15th November 2016, 23:08   #220
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

Perhaps I didn't make it very clear. I like to have RV Mirrors with a large surface than what's currently on the SR150. That just my personal preference, that's all. Same goes for Cars as well - in my cars, big/large size OVRMs is a deciding factor.

For two wheelers I prefer mirrors that have an area of 5 sq. inches approximately, at least and of a regular shape - circle, rectangular or square. The odd irregular shape of the current one - shows only a small slice of what's behind, when you need to know, and I hate that (may be I am too old school ).

I am aware what adjustments are possible on the SR150 RVMs but to change it to a larger size - only swap from those available in the market is possible.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
No issues.

But if and when you do replace the mirrors with a better one please post the details of the same here.

On Amazon I was looking at some handlebar mirrors. Would this be better? Is it possible to install on the scooter's handle?
Old 16th November 2016, 12:27   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post

But if and when you do replace the mirrors with a better one please post the details of the same here.

On Amazon I was looking at some handlebar mirrors. Would this be better? Is it possible to install on the scooter's handle?
Will do.

I am not sure how the mirror on SR150 is fixed. If its not standard threading we might have to do a bit of re-treading/tapping.

I would be looking at something like the ones in the pic below - but in black. I am sure some old RX100/135 stocks would be there somewhere. Worst case scenario - buy the ones like in the picture - match thread etc. and then sandblast or fine emery polish and get it powder coated black in mat finish.

Aprilia SR 150 unveiled at the Auto Expo. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 65,000-rvm.jpg

Let me not jump the gun,! Shall wait for the Motoscoot first.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 16th November 2016, 12:46   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would be looking at something like the ones in the pic below - but in black. I am sure some old RX100/135 stocks would be there somewhere.

Ram
Why don't you use the Vespa ones then? They should be a direct fit and come in same size as these.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:10   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Why don't you use the Vespa ones then? They should be a direct fit and come in same size as these.
Thanks.

I hadn't noticed the one on Vespa at all (or any other scooter in India for that matter until now)

I can see it in the picture of SR150 I have posted (on Vespas inside the showroom) It may be the right size. Do you know if they come in black finish ? If not will have get them change them to black - much easier to change colour than all the machining.

Best Regards & Ride/Drive safe

Ram
Old 16th November 2016, 13:15   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I had also requested lowering of the headlamp beam which was done after I pointed out again when vehicle was ready for delivery.
How did they do this? Is it a long cumbersome process or simple and user serviceable?

Has anyone got links to the workshop manual for the Aprilia SR 150??
Old 16th November 2016, 13:27   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Hey guys, I am planning to book the new SR 150 here in Bangalore. Not sure which dealer I should go to. Had been to Navin Associates on Christ College
I got mine from the same dealer.
My experience in gist-
1) Wanted a 2.5% charge if payment is done via card.
2)Accessories were not available at the time of delivery. Had to get the scooter home without side stand and mirrors. Got the same after 6 days.
3)Recent check confirms nonavailability of accessories.
4)Pretty courteous staff except one lady. Need prodding at regular intervals. Seems they haven't accustomed to the new higher demands yet and were hopping around clueless more often than not.
5)Very little complimentary petrol on delivery, believe it was 700ml.
6)No parking space.
Would rate experience as 6.5 out of 10. Much much better than the Honda and Hero dealers that i went to, before zeroing in on this.
TrailBlazer007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks