Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 05:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Thanks tabrez. You seem to have got me confused with 'Senior - BHPian' Red Liner
My brother from another mother.... Congratulations!

I gotta a bike too, BTW. Timing eh?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 08:11   #77
BHPian

Re: KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390

Quote:
Thanks tabrez. You seem to have got me confused with 'Senior - BHPian' Red Liner
Sorry about that Red, my bad.

Quote:
Here are my experiences with the dealers,
Your narration is much appreciated. Any particular reason for omitting Marathahalli KTM from your list ? Also Red, if it isn't much of a trouble,
could please publish the current retail pricing of RC's & Duke's you found while dealing with various dealers ?

Back then, I recall Duke-390 retailing at ~2.31L OTR (MY-2015), Bangalore without a shred of discount, whatsoever that might be.
They were only flexible with customer availing Insurance from else where.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
My brother from another mother.... Congratulations!

I gotta a bike too, BTW. Timing eh?
Hehe. Thanks and congrats to you too brother
Nice timing indeed. I remember you were looking for a tourer. So let me guess, a Versys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Sorry about that Red, my bad.

Quote:
Also Red, if it isn't much of a trouble,
could please publish the current retail pricing of RC's & Duke's you found while dealing with various dealers ?
The current prices of Duke and RC 390 are still around ~231k and ~252k respectively. No discounts, I did not negotiate much either. They will try to hide around 1k handling charges in that, bundled with road tax as RTO costs. You can get that out, but only after a mail to KTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Any particular reason for omitting Marathahalli KTM from your list ?
No specific reason. It is just that it is too far from my home and that the SA from Mekhri was following up very well.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th June 2016 at 12:56. Reason: Merged as requested.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

I was browsing through the KTM website and noticed that ABS is mentioned for RC200. Has this been added to the newer lot? Last time when I checked, ABS was available only on RC 390 in the faired models.

Screenshot attached. The other parameters are highlighted so as to confirm this is the RC200 spec itself.

KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390-rc200.jpg

Edit:: Are there just 1 color each for both models? RC 200 seems to come in black and RC 390 in white?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th June 2016 at 18:31.
Old 24th June 2016, 21:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The current prices of Duke and RC 390 are still around ~231k and ~252k respectively. No discounts, I did not negotiate much either. They will try to hide around 1k handling charges in that, bundled with road tax as RTO costs. You can get that out, but only after a mail to KTM.
Congrats Redliner.

So I too was finally planning to take the plunge to get the 2016 RC390 but I feel very fishy about the dealer here.

The price quote I got from them is as below

Ex- Showroom - 2,17,316 Rs
Life Tax - 20,736 Rs
Insurance Comprehensive - 6,238 Rs
Incidental Fitment Charge - 3,500 Rs
Must Fittings - 2,000 Rs
----------------
2,49,790 Rs

Is the price ok or have they added some unwanted charges here ?

Also when I asked them if they had a test ride bike, they told they didn't get the approval yet but they said they did have a new bike which I could test ride. I asked them if it was a customers bike and he said it was not and it can be taken for the test ride. I felt something wrong here and feel they were just giving me a customers bike for test ride so I point blank refused to take it and asked them to contact me once their test ride bike arrives.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 22:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
2,49,790 Rs

Price sounds about right it is about 3 grand more expensive here in Bangalore.

Quote:
Also when I asked them if they had a test ride bike, they told they didn't get the approval yet but they said they did have a new bike which I could test ride. I asked them if it was a customers bike and he said it was not and it can be taken for the test ride. I felt something wrong here and feel they were just giving me a customers bike for test ride so I point blank refused to take it and asked them to contact me once their test ride bike arrives.
That is an extremely sad thing to hear. The RC390 is a proper track machine and that motor runs very high compression. If potential customers are taking a test ride on a brand new bike, and wringing it out, and later the showroom sells it to a customer, he could face head gasket issues in the future which the bike is already known to be a bit prone towards. Anyway, I'd suggest going to another dealer if these are the practices followed here. Price seems okay, but it never feels good to deal with a business that has such low standards. Make sure you get the brand spanking new model though. Most updates are minor, but the revised rear view mirrors are a huge boon. I have the one with the older shape mirrors and they are simply useless 70% of the time, and would be my biggest gripe with the bike, although they do look awesome.
Old 25th June 2016, 12:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Price sounds about right it is about 3 grand more expensive here in Bangalore.
Something is wrong with the pricing then because of just the 3 grand difference. I believe Bangalore taxes are quiet high compared to TN but I do not know how much though.

What is that Incidental fitment and Must fitting charges ?

Quote:

That is an extremely sad thing to hear. The RC390 is a proper track machine and that motor runs very high compression. If potential customers are taking a test ride on a brand new bike, and wringing it out, and later the showroom sells it to a customer, he could face head gasket issues in the future which the bike is already known to be a bit prone towards. Anyway, I'd suggest going to another dealer if these are the practices followed here. Price seems okay, but it never feels good to deal with a business that has such low standards. Make sure you get the brand spanking new model though. Most updates are minor, but the revised rear view mirrors are a huge boon. I have the one with the older shape mirrors and they are simply useless 70% of the time, and would be my biggest gripe with the bike, although they do look awesome.
Actually I wanted to ride it slowly and see if it would suit a newbie like me on slight throttles, nevertheless I don't like riding customers bike anyways.

Sadly the only other dealer is like 5 hours journey away from me. Yes you are right about new updated mirrors and it's something very important for me so I will ensure that I get a bike manufactured after may or June, I forgot to notice it on the bikes they had on display.
Old 25th June 2016, 17:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I wanted to ride it slowly and see if it would suit a newbie like me on slight throttles, nevertheless I don't like riding customers bike anyways.
This was my first bike. I am a newbie as well. At low speeds the fueling is choppy, clutch is heavy (slipper clutch on the new one ought to help), gearshifts are hard, heats up too quickly and the extreme frontal weight bias makes it a bit annoying in traffic. Open the throttle, and everything comes into its own; the shifts become precise, throttle response is spot on, feedback and carving corners is on the next level. I would say don't buy the bike because it is the cheapest sportbike. Buy it only if you are into track tuned machines. The bike is set up perfectly for me, I have upped the pre-load on the rear shock from the stock setting of 3 to 6 since I found the stock setting too soft. If you are not so into the whole track thing and the disadvantages it comes with, you would be better off with a Ninja 300 or R3 in the long run. You need to accept the vibrations, high compression motor that quickly drops revs, heavy front-end, rough edged low speed characteristics, and aggressive ergos. If you cannot come to terms with these then don't go for it just based on the looks, power and price. I have seen many people make the mistake of going for the RC 390 solely based on looks, power and price, it doesn't go down well with them in the long-run.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th June 2016 at 17:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 12:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was my first bike. I am a newbie as well. At low speeds the fueling is choppy, clutch is heavy (slipper clutch on the new one ought to help), gearshifts are hard, heats up too quickly and the extreme frontal weight bias makes it a bit annoying in traffic. Open the throttle, and everything comes into its own; the shifts become precise, throttle response is spot on, feedback and carving corners is on the next level. I would say don't buy the bike because it is the cheapest sportbike. Buy it only if you are into track tuned machines. The bike is set up perfectly for me, I have upped the pre-load on the rear shock from the stock setting of 3 to 6 since I found the stock setting too soft. If you are not so into the whole track thing and the disadvantages it comes with, you would be better off with a Ninja 300 or R3 in the long run. You need to accept the vibrations, high compression motor that quickly drops revs, heavy front-end, rough edged low speed characteristics, and aggressive ergos. If you cannot come to terms with these then don't go for it just based on the looks, power and price. I have seen many people make the mistake of going for the RC 390 solely based on looks, power and price, it doesn't go down well with them in the long-run.
Thanks for your feedback Ishaanian. I am only interested in the RC390 because of it's looks, ABS, Tires and slight exclusivity. The speed being there is a good thing, whether I use it or not only time will tell and I would use it max just on weekends. Unfortunately I do not have any tracks nearby where I can ride it, but if there was one I wouldn't mind going there. So I do not see any value in spending more than 2.5 Lakhs for such a criteria of mine.

The R3 was a very close contender but it looks just like the R15 which is a big negative when you're paying so much cash for it. Adding to that, it does not have ABS nor good tires, so it got rejected easily. I don't like the old looks of the CBR 250 as well. The Ninja is just too expensive to buy and maintain.

So what I really wanted to know about the RC390 was can it be ridden at less than 90 Kmph ideally 60-90 kmph / 100 Kmph within town at 3rd to 4th gear without any issues ? During the first few months I may take the bike out only when there is very less traffic.

Also in the newer bikes there is better heat dissipation right ( due to different air routing) ? So I don't think heating is an issue.

I probably think I can get away with the aggressive riding posture as I believe I'm a bit fit and regarding the vibrations I think I may able to live with it. If not I will just wait for few months to check out the 2017 RC 390 which will have better refinement and less vibrations as per some news articles.
Old 26th June 2016, 12:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback Ishaanian. I am only interested in the RC390 because of it's looks, ABS, Tires and slight exclusivity.
That is precisely why I believe you ought to look elsewhere. The bike will keep you entertained for a while due to its sheer potential, but that will soon fade away if those are the only criteria. It is not merely about features and looks with this bike in comparison to the rest. It is about refinement and versatility versus its focused track-honed nature

Quote:
So what I really wanted to know about the RC390 was can it be ridden at less than 90 Kmph ideally 60-90 kmph / 100 Kmph within town at 3rd to 4th gear without any issues ? During the first few months I may take the bike out only when there is very less traffic.
My bike heats up. It just isn't in its comfort zone cruising at those speeds (likes to go a bit faster) and you hit the most vibes in the 3-4k rpm range.

Quote:
Also in the newer bikes there is better heat dissipation right ( due to different air routing) ? So I don't think heating is an issue.
My bike dissipates the heat downward as well, perhaps the newer bikes come with some additional heat dissipation. It never hurts your legs or anything but it does play in your mind knowing that your bike is running hot and that it isn't at its optimal operating temperature for the most part.

Quote:
I probably think I can get away with the aggressive riding posture as I believe I'm a bit fit and regarding the vibrations I think I may able to live with it. If not I will just wait for few months to check out the 2017 RC 390 which will have better refinement and less vibrations as per some news articles.
It is not just the aggressive riding posture that is different with this bike (I myself am extremely fit and as long as you ride properly, I have never experienced wrist or back pain even on 4 hour rides) it is the weight distribution that is the biggest factor. The bike is very front heavy, nearly all its weight is in the front and piloting it through traffic becomes a bit of a pain over some time. Buying a track bike for the looks and features just wont satisfy you in the long run. Its low cost will also make next to no sense if you get tired of the machine and sell it within a year or two. Please keep that in mind. I'd suggest looking at the Ninja300 or waiting to check out other options like the Hero HX250r. CBR250r btw is a brilliant bike if you are not a speed nut: Very versatile and a simple tail tidy with a swap of the tyres, will transform the look of the bike.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 22:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'd suggest looking at the Ninja300 or waiting to check out other options like the Hero HX250r. CBR250r btw is a brilliant bike if you are not a speed nut: Very versatile and a simple tail tidy with a swap of the tyres, will transform the look of the bike.
I was interested with the CBR 250R but it's design is pretty old which I did not like much. If they release a new design by 2017 like the 250 RR I may purchase it.

All your points are valid so I guess I will just wait it out again instead of making a bad decision now.

Btw I read somewhere some people who got a good engine mapping with the right exhaust for their RC 390 (I believe it was akrapovic ) got a much smoother engine and acceleration at lower speeds. I'm trying to find that post now.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 26th June 2016 at 22:08.
Old 28th June 2016, 17:16   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Redliner.

Thanks stanjohn.

The dealer is definitely trying to rip you off here.
According to BikeWale(who is correct most of the time), the RTO charges in TN should be less than 19k. Also "Incidental Fitment Charge - 3,500 Rs and Must Fittings - 2,000 Rs" are pure crap.

According to Bikewale, OTR in Chennai is 2,41,655.

Coming to the bike, IshaanIan has covered most of the things and that too spot on.

With the much lighter action brought in by the slipper clutch set up, the bike is considerably easier to ride in city traffic if you're okay with the posture and the stiff suspension. The clutch in my RC is lighter than in my RTR 160. The improved seat cushion and mirrors also make things better.

All these said, the RC is one of the worst bikes for city riding in bumper to bumper traffic. If you live in a small town with open roads, you'll have a lot of fun.

I'll say this though, if the RC was one of the ugliest bikes around and if it still tugged your heart strings for its internal beauty (read uncompromising sportbike nature, raw power etc) and can withstand its shortcomings, then go for it by all means.

Otherwise, the novelty will wear out soon and you'll start hating the aggressive posture, vibrations, heat etc. and in that case, I'd recommend a used Ninja 300.

Last edited by theredliner : 28th June 2016 at 17:23.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 16:16   #88
BHPian

Thrustzone reports that KTM Duke & RC 200 will come with MRF C1 tyres instead of MRF-REVZ C tyres.

MRF REVZ C1 series was initially developed for Duke and RC390 as Metzeler replacement. But they failed to offer grip in wet conditions.

Now KTM will use this rubber series on Duke and RC200 to address the road grip issue with REVZ C series.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 17:59   #89
kat
BHPian

So, I was in the dilemma of getting a used CBR250R ABS or a new RC390 or the soon to be launched G310R/Akula for the past 6 months.
Time went by, couldn't find good examples of CBR250R ABS in my region within my budget (had a 1L budget, if used), had to save some more to get a new RC390 and the launch of the G310R/Akula in India was just speculation.

And one day, I got a whatsapp message from one of my friends who informed about an March 2016, 5000 km run RC390 (MY2016 model) up for sale in a place very near my home in Coimbatore. It got my attention but I was in a dilemma whether there could be something fishy with the bike. Waited until the weekend and got to check the bike with a friend. The bike had done 5400 kms and first service had been completed.

Looks : Bike had a couple of scratches in the lower part of fairing and some minor scratches in the fuel tank area. Otherwise a clean bike. Confirmed the proper functioning of the radiator fan at high temperatures, display, all lights etc. Tyres seemed good and might have another 5000 kms on it. Alloys were not damaged and there were no other visible damages.

Test drive : I had already ridden the RC390 (a 300 km ride in the highway, courtesy of a friend who owned one but wasn't using it frequently) and hence I had a very fair idea as to what I could expect from the bike. The bike cranked immediately and idling seemed normal (around 1800 rpm). No excessive noises were heard. Did around 6 kms ride in the nearby area and except the slightly hard gear shifts and rattles (I could identify at least 2 immediately), the bike rode normally, as expected. All in all, I had a feeling that the bike was fine and could be considered.

Now, comes the sad part. The bike is being sold off by the cousin of the owner and not the owner himself. Seems the previous owner had a mishap while riding and hence was instructed to sell the bike off immediately by his parents . Got this information from the mutual friend who informed about the bike. Then the reason for the scratches became clear. So, started looking very hard to find out more problems, but couldn't find more. Now, the dilemma worsened, to go ahead or not. And that's when I checked the number plate for the first time and saw that it was my most favourite number (1313), and considered it as a positive sign from up above to go ahead . Also, for some strange reason, I felt that I would continue to wait forever before my purchase decision. Remember those silly thoughts we encounter before making big decisions.

With a heavy gut feeling, started the negotiations and I could convince the seller to meet my expected price (1.7L). The seller was in a hurry to seal the deal since he wanted cash to upgrade to a car (or maybe, he wanted to dispose off the bike quickly). And the deal was sealed on Ganesh Chathurthi and all of a sudden I was the owner of the RC390. Got all the original RC, insurance, transfer papers and rode the bike back home. Still, for some unknown reason, I was never 100% confident that the bike could be trouble free (maybe the thought of the minor accident kept lingering around). Since second service was pending, took the bike to the service centre and a knowledgeable service advisor as recommended by a friend who owns a Duke 390. He test drove it and confirmed that rattles. Regarding the gear shifts, he said that it was quite normal and it would get smoother with time. Otherwise the feedback about the bike was good. And then came a huge sigh of relief and my mind felt light. Service bill came to about Rs. 1600 (engine oil change + chain lubing mainly). Drove the bike back home and all vibrations were gone and the bike felt better to ride than ever. Hopefully, it serves me well for the next 5 or so years before I upgrade.

My Positives:

1. Looks - I like it and doesn't look like anything else on road, in a good way!
2. Features - ABS (must have), projectors (now with always on feature), LED DRLs, display.
3. Ride quality - I expected it to crash on potholes or speed breakers but I felt quite comfortable.
4. Handling, Slipper Clutch - I have never got the chance to experience it in this bike as of now, but, they have to be obviously good, right! The clutch lever feels lighter than the earlier RC390 I have driven.
5. Braking - Coupled with engine braking, bike comes to a halt in no time.
6. Engine - Absolute madness. Period.
7. FE - 25 kmpl is quite good for the power and torque this bike belts out.

My Negatives:

1. Exhaust sound - Just bad. But maybe, I am getting used to it and it now sounds much better than when I first heard it.
2. Pillion seat - My wife who is quite short liked it since it made her feel tall :-). But I am sure, she can't be comfortable on it for more than 10 kms.
3. Small fuel tank

Have just one pic, shown below.

KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390-img_20160905_180538.jpg

Regarding my gear, I have an Alpinestars AST Air jacket, Alpinestars Masai Summer Gloves and a HJC Tigreton helmet which I bought from Europe back in April 2016. Their hibernation is finally over.

Thanks to all those who have owned and posted about the RC390 in this forum and helping me in finding out if this is the right bike for me. Actually, it is!
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 21:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Thanks to all those who have owned and posted about the RC390 in this forum and helping me in finding out if this is the right bike for me. Actually, it is!
Congratulations on the bike Could you elaborate the changes brought about by the throttle-by-wire system? I find my bike's fueling to be very choppy under 6.5k revs. Had the chance to ride a buddy's 2016 RC200 recently and though I expected it to be the same bike as mine but with less poke, it was an entirely different experience; the fuelling was so smooth from the get go, gearbox needed minimal effort, clutch was super light, bike itself was super light to move around at parking speeds and needless to say, the vibrations were a lot less too. It almost felt like a toy after my bike nearly too easy to ride I want to know if there is any drastic difference between the 2016 RC390 and the older iterations.

If the throttle response and fueling is accurate even at low rpms, then would someone know if the throttle-by-wire system can be retrofitted on to my bike?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks