Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 11:11   #1
BHPian

What tyres for a Honda Activa?

I've a Honda Activa (2003) with Stock MRF in front & CEAT Secura Neo at the back. I am thinking of changing the front tyre since its quite old & the rubber is also very hard.

I had bought CEAT Secura Neo ~1.5 years ago for my rear tyre. Rear tyre has been changed 2-3 times over the years but never the front tyre. Thinking of moving the rear tyre to the front & get a new tyre for rear wheel.

Zeroed in on Ceat Gripp & Secura Neo. Which one is better for rear wheel of Honda Activa?

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2016 at 09:40. Reason: Typos
wolf_lone is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th February 2016, 20:31   #2
BHPian

Re: What tyres for a Honda Activa?

FYI, you can install tubeless valve and a tubeless tyre on it for better safety.
if the tyrewala says, Activa can not take tubeless tyres or tubeless tyres are not as good as tube-type tyres, go to another tyre shop.
You can find many threads on tubeless vs tube-type here.
motionfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

The tyres of my Activa were already showing signs of going bald and decided to get them changed. Zeroed in on Michelin City Pro tyres for the 90/100 10 53J profile and went to Premji Tyre Plus which was the authorized seller of Michelin in Thane. Opted for the tubeless tyre but when the technicians were checking the rims, they found spots of rust around the tube valve and on the rim. I was advised not to go for the tubeless tyre as there would be no guarantee that the air would not leak. I was suggested to use the Tube type tyre of the same model which I agreed to. Costed Rs 1300 per tyre including the fitting charges.

Post the replacement, the ride felt very light, the road grip is good. First hand experienced the ride in the rains and the tyres held the grip. Very early to comment on the performance, will update in due course of time.

ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Bumping this old thread in the hope of some help. I have had 3 punctures in the span of last 7 days in the rear tyre of my Activa. The scooter has only run 10k KM and 1.5years old.

I also noticed that the rear tyre was too hot when I was checking the last 2 punctures. It was untouchably hot and the front tyre at the same time was not even close as hot as the rear tyre. After the 1st puncture, I have been taking precautions to keep it properly inflated and ride the bike within 55kmph. I'm honestly not sure what's happening, can someone help?

Also, one way or other, I believe it's time to replace the tyre and any suggestions for the same?
Old 15th June 2018, 16:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I also noticed that the rear tyre was too hot when I was checking the last 2 punctures. It was untouchably hot and the front tyre at the same time was not even close as hot as the rear tyre. After the 1st puncture, I have been taking precautions to keep it properly inflated and ride the bike within 55kmph. I'm honestly not sure what's happening, can someone help

Check the following:

1. Rear brakes: Check if they are set too tight and are fouling the inside of the drum. This can be one suspect. I see a lot of people with CBS not happy with the way the brakes are set by the SVC or the independent garages.

2. Your variator and the drive belt. If any of the two is slipping, then there is chance of heat generation. Oil in the drive belt area can also lead to slippage, which can enter from the secondary drive side. Get the cover opened up and see if there are any issues with the same.

3. Tyre pressure: Low tyre pressure will also abnormally heat up the wheels. Since you have multiple punctures, check if the tyre is holding air.

4. There is a breather pipe from the crankcase. Check the condition of the same.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 22:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
3. Tyre pressure: Low tyre pressure will also abnormally heat up the wheels. Since you have multiple punctures, check if the tyre is holding air.
Thanks!! I was checking the rear wheel again thoroughly and found a bent inner rim. Could this be the reason the tyre was losing air and resulting in puncture as well? Interestingly it didn't lose air when it was not used for 2 days in between.
Attached Thumbnails
What tyres for a Honda Activa?-img_20180615_205612956_ll.jpg  

Old 16th June 2018, 12:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Post the replacement, the ride felt very light, the road grip is good. First hand experienced the ride in the rains and the tyres held the grip. Very early to comment on the performance, will update in due course of time.
Brilliant tyres and lives upto the Michelin brand name. Been using it on my Maestro for around 12k kms now. Grip is still very good around corners, and I like the changed character of the scooter post this tyre change.

Only negative - the rear tyre looks like it will need to be replaced at around 15k kms. Stock MRFs had lasted 20k kms.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th February 2020 at 17:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 16:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Thanks!! I was checking the rear wheel again thoroughly and found a bent inner rim. Could this be the reason the tyre was losing air and resulting in puncture as well? Interestingly it didn't lose air when it was not used for 2 days in between.

That doesn't look too bad. But nevertheless, if you are in for a change of tyres, get this fixed too. If you have some extra cash to splurge, go the tubeless way.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 14:54   #9
BHPian

If your scooter is on steel rims it's best to use tubes inside the tyres as rims do get bent and air pressure drops especially while riding the vehicle. Honda tuff-Up tubes are very helpful.
Michelin Metro tyres are really good.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 11:54   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Brilliant tyres and lives upto the Michelin brand name. Been using it on my Maestro for around 12k kms now. Grip is still very good around corners, and I like the changed charecter of the scooter post this tyre change.

Only negetive - the rear tyre looks like it will need to be replaced at around 15k kms. Stock MRFs had lasted 20k kms.
I've heard that Michelin scooter tyres are not good for bad/rural roads. Is that true?
Old 8th July 2018, 13:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've heard that Michelin scooter tyres are not good for bad/rural roads. Is that true?
That is not true, my Jupiter rear tyre is Michelin tubeless, vehicle mostly used on village roads & sometimes even perform farm duties. I found Michelin tyre has very good grip.

OEM tyre (TVS tyre) last less than only 6k now total odo is 20k plus.
Viraj_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 13:21   #12
BHPian

Changed 8 years old stock tyres to ceat secura neo and ceat mileage.. ₹950 + &₹900=₹1800 (without tubes). Retained the tubes which were changed recently.

₹140 for fitting the tube. Mechanic worked on the rim to straighten them.

Major improvement in grip as the old tyres were pathetic.

Last edited by ravradha : 8th July 2018 at 13:26.
Old 11th February 2024, 11:04   #13
BHPian

I have first generation Honda Activa ( 2009 model ).
Thought of experimenting with higher size tyres, for better comfort on pothole filled roads.
Is it possible to upsize the rim ? What are the options ? Any cons of doing so ?
Old 12th February 2024, 09:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Thought of experimenting with higher size tyres, for better comfort on pothole filled roads.
Is it possible to upsize the rim ? What are the options ? Any cons of doing so ?
Without getting into too much details, I'll simply say - It simply is not worth it. If the steel wheel gets bent, its much easier {considering HMSI's anti counter sales policy & the lack of spares availability} to get a stock replacement rather than retrofitting the upsized rim.

Last but not the least - If you really want a comfortable ride in a small wheeled scooters Burgman is your best bet followed by Access 125 & Yamaha scooters.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed