Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 16:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Helmets to be mandatory for pillion riders in Maharashtra

In a move to improve the safety of two-wheeler riders, the Government of Maharashtra has made it mandatory for both rider and pillion to wear a helmet in the state. The Bombay High Court issued the directive to improve road safety and the announcement was made by the state transport department.

The transport department has also made it mandatory for two-wheeler dealers to provide at least two helmets with the vehicle. RTOs have been told to ask for evidence of dealers providing their customers with two helmets. It was recently made mandatory for two-wheeler licence applicants to sign an indemnity bond stating that they will wear a helmet while using their vehicle.

Section 129 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 itself mandates protective headgear for two-wheeler users and the pillion helmet mandate is a part of the government's crackdown to improve road safety and spread awareness. While the rule itself is welcome, the implementation process will be key as will the cooperation from motorists themselves.

Helmets to be mandatory for pillion riders in Maharashtra-36ibwriders.jpg

Source: HT

*Image for representation only.
Tushar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 16:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Helmets to be mandatory for pillion riders in Maharashtra

What is the date of implementation of this new notification?
I still see many pillions on the road without helmets.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
What is the date of implementation of this new notification?
I still see many pillions on the road without helmets.
Pillions? I still see riders without helmets. And the police, as usual, is helpless because such people are in droves. How many can they catch/stop.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
In a move to improve the safety of two-wheeler riders, the Government of Maharashtra has made it mandatory for both rider and pillion to wear a helmet in the state. The Bombay High Court issued the directive to improve road safety and the announcement was made by the state transport department.
After Bangalore, now its the turn of Maharashtra . Good to know that transport department is passing a rule to all dealers to provide helmets, which is not seen in Bangalore, though few dealers provide helmets only for the riders as part of promotion or goodies.

I must say implementation was rather quick in Bangalore, after the rule was passed, one fine day cops at all junctions started to catch the violators and it was recorded that ~1500 pillions were fined on a single day. I see around 95% of pillion riders wearing helmet these days.

On an OT, I read a meme asking the traffic cops whether who must pay the fine if pillion is caught without helmet, is it the rider or the pillion.

Regards,
-Badri
Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 17:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A very important move and crucial for a state that has one of the highest concentration of 2 wheelers mainly on Highway (let alone Towns and Cities).

Along with this mandate, I was expecting that the Maharashtra Govt makes it a rule that "Two" wheelers means One rider and a Pillion....Or at least, have a separate category of licence issued for "3' wheelers where you can ride triple seat on a 2-Wheeler and ensure riders don't crib.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Along with this mandate, I was expecting that the Maharashtra Govt makes it a rule that "Two" wheelers means One rider and a Pillion....Or at least, have a separate category of licence issued for "3' wheelers where you can ride triple seat on a 2-Wheeler and ensure riders don't crib.
As stated in the motor vehicles act - "No driver of a two–wheeled motorcycle shall carry more than one person in addition to himself on the motor cycle and no such person shall be carried otherwise than sitting on a proper seat securely fixed to the motorcycle behind the driver’s seat with appropriate safety measures."

No question of a third category for 3 passengers on one bike. Let's not treat motorists like manchow soup and use a 3 by 2 approach . Two-wheelers are legally allowed to carry only two people, but alas, people won't follow the law even if it is for their own safety. Seat belts are mandatory too and one of the most convenient safety features, but ever so often, I have to ask my (well-educated) co-passengers to buckle up, only to have my request repeatedly questioned. Sometimes I wonder if cars and bikes should come with gruesome pictures like cigarette packets to show the results of not buckling up / wearing a helmet.

I'm pretty sure the additional helmet will be difficult to manage at first. I always keep my helmet with me, but one concern I have is miscreants messing with the pillion helmet I'll have to leave on my bike. Whatever the case, if it's the law, I will follow it. Till then, better get those helmets and locks before vendors "seize the moment".

Last edited by Tushar : 16th February 2016 at 18:14.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No question of a third category for 3 passengers on one bike. Let's not treat motorists like manchow soup and use a 3 by 2 approach . Two-wheelers are legally allowed to carry only two people, but
I was never serious when I mentioned the other category of licence but thanks Tushar .

The reason to post that was to highlight the fact that most of the times on a highway, I have noticed at least 3 passengers (along with a rider) on 2 wheelers happily cruising at 80-90kmph dangerously cutting across the traffic on all lanes. This is such a common sight that we tend to forget is one of the major issues that needs to be tackled too!

The reason I thought the authorities to bring in such a category (although fictitious) is because we know how riders crib even to wear a helmet today giving the lamest possible excuses you can think of. We have seen it all.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Although a good move by Maharashtra govt, implementation is going to be big headache. Unless the rule is enforced by the enforcers themselves, this is again going to be one of those initiatives dying an early death. Daily I see the traffic cops themselves riding 2 wheelers without helmets leave apart the pillion rider. It is not easy to catch a huge population of 2 wheelers by the traffic cops for helmet violation.

There was a drive recently to confiscate the license of violators and give them free lectures. That drive was a bit successful too as I had seen many a 2 wheeler owner riding with helmet on. Unless the punishment is made stricter such rules will be announced and given a quite burial
Old 16th February 2016, 19:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Very sensible directive; I hope and pray this is implemented and enforced entirely.

What I hope for more is that people don't fight it.

--
MODS: can you please edit the thread title to say Maharashtra, except Pune. Please?

The idiots who run, not administer, Pune will ensure that this is never implemented; they ensured even the rule about helmets being compulsory for the person riding the bike was not implemented.

IIRC, their argument is that the Govt. should first make roads such that helmets are not needed.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th February 2016 at 19:49.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 20:39   #10
BHPian

I am glad that they implemented the rule in Maharashtra. Yes, it is going to be difficult to implement but they should definitely try. Currently, majority of the times, cops themselves don't wear helmets and break signals and other rules (How I wish I had a camera on my helmet to capture all this ). They themselves should take the rules seriously too.

The pillion helmet rule has been in Jaipur since a few years now and people have been following it. The sad part is that majority of the junta wears the cheap cap like helmets which wouldn't even protect a piece of cotton in case of an accident
Old 17th February 2016, 09:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

A welcome and a much awaited move IMHO. This rule will at least act as a deterrent to those making the pillion sit without a helmet. It is as if the pillion will escape unscathed in case of a fall or they have a special ejection seat which will enable them to escape a fall. The helmet is as important for the pillion as it is for the rider. I mentioned this is one of the threads about importance of wearing a helmet for a pillion. In my building a fine and a promising young girl in her early 20's lost her life as she was not wearing a helmet while being pillion. What a waste of life!

As my own rule I DO NOT allow any one to sit pillion on my motorcycle unless they wear a helmet and a good quality helmet at that. Two helmet storage is an issue but this issue is a no brainer for me in case of a life saver gadget like helmet.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 18:51   #12
BHPian

This is more like extortion money for RTO now !!

Few of my observations with the double standards in Mumbai ...:

: Helmet rules are so absurd here in Mumbai, that its compulsory only if you don't belong to the cop fraternity. Although its allowed to roam without helmets, only if you are a cop or a traffic cop, the rule doesn't apply to you. Beat Marshalls, Patrolling cops, Traffic Cops etc, without helmets, the list is endless and I am sure every Mumbaikar would have definitely seen these.

: Crossing the JJ bridge (starting from Masjid to CST) is not allowed to bikers since there are a lot of deaths reported by bikers. Although you will be allowed to go on the bridge if you are a cop or a traffic cop, its a given that you wont be killed even if you ride without a helmet, but if you aren't into cop services then you are at risk of dying as you will be surely driving rash.

: Driving in wrong lanes is the right of a traffic cop / police vans.

: If you own a bike, you surely are a criminal and you will be stopped at every check-post. Although if you are a cop then the rule of 15 years passing and green tax doesn't apply to you.

: If you are a traffic police towing van then the rule of PUC doesn't apply to you. Also note that if any private vehicle is damaged via traffic cop's towing vehicles then the claims won't be paid under vehicle insurance.

: And here comes the most hilarious and ridiculous of them all.... THE RTO Office DID NOT ACCEPT MY DRIVING LICENSE AS A PROOF OF ADDRESS / AGE / OR IDENTITY when I had gone to Tardeo RTO to transfer a purchased vehicle on my name.

The PAAN Masala and Gutkhas are banned (and they should be banned from everywhere), but the tobacco and cigarettes are not ? how does it make sense ????

These double standards are huge, and if you question a cop then you are in trouble. Its apparent that helmet companies bribe a lot to get this law passed.

I agree that wearing helmets should be a must if not compulsory, after-all its your life and wearing helmets and proper gear should be a priority, but for the cops it is nothing but "chai paani" money.

What next, the jacket and knee guard companies will give bribes to get them sanctioned as compulsory.

Last edited by The Great : 17th February 2016 at 18:58.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:23   #13
BHPian

Don't think it makes any sense, specially when Helmets for the Driver is not enforced strictly. Even traffic lights are not respected and police is not bothered many a times - in Pune at-least.

Having a law is great, but, implementing it is totally different ball game,,

As of today, have not seem any pillion rider with a Helmet in Pune,

End of the Day - it should be the people themselves who have to realize their safety and take necessary caution and drive sensibly and safely.
Old 18th February 2016, 08:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...Or at least, have a separate category of licence issued for "3' wheelers where you can ride triple seat on a 2-Wheeler and ensure riders don't crib.
Quote:
No question of a third category for 3 passengers on one bike.
Quote:
Three persons, including two engineering students, and a woman died in separate hit-and-run accidents in the span of one-andhalf-hours on Tuesday.

Anuja Deshmane, senior inspector of Warje Malwadi police station, told TOI that the engineering students were riding triple seat without helmets. Their motorcycle was knocked down by a speeding truck around 3pm at Dukkar Khind.
Triple Seat Riding is so synonymous with the roads of Maharashtra and especially Highways and this is exactly why I was referring to a 3 wheeler licence category to keep these morons happy! Incidentally, this accident where a victim had to pay for his life wasn't wearing a Helmet and even riding Triple seat on the Highway.

Related Report:

Three killed in accidents on Katraj-Dehu Road bypass
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 12:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Very sensible directive; I hope and pray this is implemented and enforced entirely.
Cannot agree more. And forget helmets, the police dont even stop people breaking signals, tripple seating, wrong way, etc etc.

But maybe its changing. These days I see the police stopping people for helmetless travel in Hinjewadi area. But this is very random and the villagers are never stopped.

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2016 at 12:56. Reason: Edited quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks