Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car features you'd love to see in bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorofindia View Post
The best feature from a car on a motorcycle would be no such feature at all! Bikes should be simple machines which respond to the twist of the throttle and movement of the body.

Or else, get another car.
I totally agree with the possible exception of anti-lock braking.
That is one feature that would have helped me avoid dropping my motorcycle on wet pavement.

Over the years a lot of the things that are mentioned in this topic have been tried on motorcycles and most of them were either unused or unwanted by the motorcycle riders.

A automobile is designed to give the passengers total isolation from the outside world and the vehicle while giving them the comfort of sitting in their cushioned chairs watching television, talking on their telephone or playing with their computer.

Automobiles are made so that people with no knowledge except how to open a door, how to turn the steering wheel and how to step on two pedals can get them from point A to point B in comfortable, relaxed safety.

Added weight and complexity are totally acceptable as long as they contribute to comfort.

A successful trip is arriving at the destination from point A to point B as quickly and easily and with as little fuss as possible.

To a true motorcyclist, none of these things are important.

Motorcyclist's want to experience the world around them.
This includes the wind blowing on them, the smells from the roadside and yes, even the heat and cold and rain (up to a certain point).

They want a machine that is simple and responsive and they enjoy being united with it in such a way that it responds to their smallest wishes.

They enjoy twisting the throttle, shifting thru the gears, riding twisting roads while they flick the responsive machine from side to side and feel the tires bite into the tarmac.

The rider has no time for playing with toys like telephones or computers.
He/she is busy interfacing with his/her surroundings.

A successful motorcycle trip is living and experiencing every meter of the ride.
Arriving at point B results in mixed feelings.

It is good to arrive safely but getting to the destination signifies an end to the ride.

Notice the great difference between the goals of the automotive driver and the goals of the motorcyclist.

The more car like the motorcycle becomes, the less likely it will meet the goals and needs of the motorcycle rider.
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:48   #17
BHPian

Here is my wishlist.

1. GPS navigation.

2. Quickshifter ( for upshifting without using clutch)

3. TPMS.

4. Inbuilt air compressor.

5. Auto adjust suspension for those bad roads.

6. Riding modes. Rain/ road/sports.

7. Auto cancellation indicators.

8. Auto dimming RVM.

9. ABS, Traction control, cruise control.

10. Adjustable seats.

11. Anti theft alarm, GPS tracking, engine immobilizer.
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:27   #18
BHPian

I have always seen motorcycle as a horse right from my childhood days. The rider would need to "know" the horse in order to use it well. So he would know what the horse can do and cant and knows when NOT to push further.

Going by this anology, i think a leisure motorcyclist would like one which is very simple in nature, has a good amount of "horse" power, simple to ride, gives him a feel of the environment around him.

On the other hand, for a race motorcyclist, things like ABS, etc matter a hell lot as it helps him to push the limits further. So here, you need to add some features as it is not a leisure riding but a race horse now. Even the food it eats matter.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:40   #19
BHPian

Yesterday i was observing the bikers on the highway while coming back from work. It was late evening and one thing i noticed with many bikers was that they forgot to switch on their headlights even when the visibility was not that good.
"Auto Headlight" is the feature i would like to see on bikes which is availabe on modern cars. Providing headlight washers will be an added bonus.
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:47   #20
BHPian

The most important thing I would like to see in bikes and scooters is proper headlight. While riding in the night, it is very difficult to see what's ahead of the road. Therefore,

- Fog lamps
- Powerful headlamp
baby_antu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

I drive my car when I Want to and ride my motorcycle when I Need to. Well the added comfort features of a car in a motorcycle is good but not essential as compared to safety features like ABS, traction control, etc. Well the car features I would like to have in a motorcycle are:

1. ABS with EBD(Electronic Brake force Distribution)
2. Traction control with (ESP) Electronic Stability Program
3. Rain sensing headlight and tail light
4. OBD(On Board Diagnostics) for monitoring tyre pressure
5. Active Yaw control with 2X2 on a motorcycle and shift to 2X2 on the fly
6. Hydraulic DCT with Tiptronic/AMT gearshift
7. Run flat tyres
8. Keyless start and lock system
9. Engine immobiliser
10. Headlight washer with wiper
11. LCD with MID displaying 180 degree rear view of the road
12. Crash sensor warning buzzer to alert the rider is too close to the vehicle and if overtaking is safe or not
13. Powerful and a big alternator(read hybrid power) that can act as an alternate source of power assistance as well as to improve the emissions
14. Regenerative braking system that will transfer the wasted energy (that happens due to braking) to the battery to store power in the battery that will help achieve hybrid power assistance.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
For reference I am using my Thunderbird.
It needs nothing extra. Its absolutely perfect in its simplicity and ruggedness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorofindia View Post
Bikes should be simple machines which respond to the twist of the throttle and movement of the body.
Or else, get another car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

To a true motorcyclist, none of these things are important.

Motorcyclist's want to experience the world around them.

They want a machine that is simple and responsive and they enjoy being united with it in such a way that it responds to their smallest wishes.

They enjoy twisting the throttle, shifting thru the gears, riding twisting roads while they flick the responsive machine from side to side and feel the tires bite into the tarmac.

The rider has no time for playing with toys like telephones or computers.
He/she is busy interfacing with his/her surroundings.
I am with the purists.. The motorcycles are just fine, the way they are.
ArizonaJim's post has aptly explained what riding is all about.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Agree completely with ArizonaJim. Call me purist or old shool but that's how I like it.

Now, two things I wish were a standard across ALL the motorcycles available in our country are:

1. Switchable ABS
2. An un-bypassable system which will allow the rider to turn on the ignition ONLY if the rider wears a full face helmet. And I am not even joking!
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Level adjustment for headlights preferably electrically operated is a absolute necissity.
I haven't ridden bikes regularly for over 5 years, but on ocassions that I take my wifes Activa for a short within 1 km run I have observed that headlight focussed for single seat riding lights up the tree branches when you are running double seat, the setting is at the extreme bottom, and now way to focus it any lower. Another staff members Unicorn which is focussed for double seat riding, practically illuminates only 25-30 M even on high beam when riding alone.

Rahul
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

There was a certain Orangutan in motoring circles, who had a wish for a specific feature on motorbikes. The feature is simple. It should prevent bike from falling off while in operation.

Jokes apart, i desire nothing in a bike apart from what they already have today.
My requirements are very simple. All i need are some good tires, a stonking engine, tachometer, speedometer, and the luxury of Electric start. Every else is a bonus.
Two wheels supposedly move the soul. So, i would like minimum to no electronics and fancy gadgets playing nanny between me and the machine.
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:52   #26
BHPian

I would like to have a two wheeler with small additional wheels which is hidden and just comes down when the bike comes to a stop, supporting the bike so that no need of putting the foot down to balance (yeah just like the one in baby cycles ). Will be very helpful in long traffic junctions where you are forced to stop and surrounded by mud/water/rubbish.

Also ABS as mandatory
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:15   #27
BHPian

I would absolutely love a roof over the 2-wheeler - with the option to roll it back (if weather is nice)
On the Honda Goldwing, what use is the airbag when the rider would probably be flung away in case of an accident or a fall
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:18   #28
BHPian

My wishlist :

1. Blindzone assist - Extremely important for indian driving conditions
2. Crash alert! - Dial a specified number/relay coordinates in emergencies
3. side airbags - To act as cushion between rider's leg and the bike in case of a sideway fall
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:33   #29
BHPian

For the purists it will always be 2 wheels, an engine, a seat, start twist and go. For every body else there is this: http://litmotors.com/c1/

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 23rd February 2016 at 15:40.
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:15   #30
BHPian

Was wondering how the C1 balances itself! Then read that it has two gyroscopes to keep the vehicle upright when stopped.

That is'nt really practical especially in places like India.

As for me - i am absolutely happy with my Bullet Electra 4S, it does not even have a fuel gauge!!
rangan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks