Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 21:04   #1
BHPian

Car features you'd love to see in bikes

These days we just get near our car, press the request sensor on the door handle, open the door, sit inside press the start stop button and zoom off.

Imagine doing the same thing with your bike, getting near to it with keys in your pocket, straighten the handle and it unlocks, press the start stop button and zoom off. Sounds cool???

As I am quite happy with my 1st gen Pulsar 150 I dont dig into bikes much these days, hence not much aware about premium features available in bikes, but few features which are getting common in cars can be added in bikes too.

I dont know about its feasibility, but definitely a more premium feeling for the premium Indian bikes like KTM, Royal Enfield, Pulsar NS and AS etc.

The few car features people would love in their bikes.

1) Keyless Go

2) Mobile charging, though available with few gearless scooters.

3) Hydraulic clutch for keeping your hand stress free.

4) Auto transmission, I know enthusiasts love the shifts but can be an option.

5) MID with important information for the rider.

6) Reverse gear, only to get the bikes out from tricky parking situation (not a feature for a car...a basic thing)

7) TPMS

These are few premium features which can be added to premium Indian bikes, may be not all but few can definitely be added.

Would love to get inputs from Bhpians, practical features of our car which you would love to see in your bikes.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2016 at 10:49. Reason: Typos
rahul_kej is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to the Motorcycle forum. Thanks for sharing!

Well in view of safety and my personal fear of riding two wheelers, I'd like the bikes to have the two extra wheels

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2016 at 12:33. Reason: Merging with my note
Eddy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car features you'd love to see in bikes

Interesting thread! Few of these features are already available like you mentioned. Keyless go is available with certain bikes. Harley-Davidson for example gives you a tiny key-fob and the ignition is though a knob on the tank/handle bar that doesn't need the key to be inserted.

Thinking of add-ons has made me realize how many car like features bikes already offer (at least high-end models).

- I'd like a remote starter (available in the aftermarket), to warm up my bike before I get to her.

- A 12V power socket should be standard now. Easy aftermarket add-on, but would be nice if it came from the factory so there aren't any warranty issues.

- Air conditioner: I have no clue how this could be done, but I would pay good money for a bike with an AC or cooler. Would be very useful in city traffic.

- Cup/bottle holder

- Additionally, a helmet defogger + washer wiper would be nice.

Last edited by Tushar : 22nd February 2016 at 11:20.
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like a remote starter (available in the aftermarket), to warm up my bike before I get to her.

- A 12V power socket should be standard now. Easy aftermarket add-on, but would be nice if it came from the factory so there aren't any warranty issues.
- Air conditioner: I have no clue how this could be done, but I would pay good money for a bike with an AC or cooler. Would be very useful in city traffic.
- Cup/bottle holder
- Additionally, a helmet defogger + washer wiper would be nice.
Interestingly all these are available. Just that its not affordable. Regarding helmet defogger the Pinlock® Visor is designed to help you with not getting fogged and it works as this was designed with science behind it

I personally want a convertible bike. Convertible in the sense a canopy that can cover the bike and where one can sleep inside over the bike. Hehe..Wishful thinking.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd February 2016 at 11:50.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:41   #5
BHPian

Interesting thread; appreciate the OP starting this.

Though I would love to see luxury features come to bikes, I would prefer that some essential safety related features get implemented first. I am talking about safety features on mass market bikes and not the more expensive, higher capacity ones, which may already have these
- Should not be able to ride the bike with the side stand down. This is such a simple feature to implement - but I still see so many bikes being riden with the side stand down
- ABS & Traction control: This is a very important safety measure that should be made mandatory, especially given the amount of gravel and slush on our roads. Of course, ABS requires that the wheels have disc brakes
- Should not be able to start the bike in gear - similar to the way many cars cannot be started in gear

Best,
anandpkumar
anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Although i am not much of a bike person but one feature i would definately like is the turn indicators automatically turn off after completing a turn just like it happens in a car. This habit of bikers forgetting to turn off the indicator often leads to accidents. This will be a good safety feature.
Akib Khan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm. Features from a car on a bike? I broke down the must have and good to have features in bikes (especially the powerful ones with 500cc and above capacity)

Must-Have

1. ABS

2. Single/Double compound tyres from reputed brand

3. DTE

4. Clutch Lever Adjuster

5. 12V power Socket for charging Mobile/GPS devices

6. Holders for adding luggage for long distance riding

7. Windshield wiper

Good to Have

1. Clutchless Shifter

2. Keyless Start

3. Most bike bikes don't come with under-seat space for storing small items. It would be good to have

Well, I can keep adding to above. But, if motorcycle manufacturers atleast offer above to majority of expensive bikes > 5 Lakhs, then it would be a good start
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, have never given this a thought. From the items mentioned above, few which I think would be nice to have.
  • Reverse Gear- Would be good for the big heavy bikes.
  • Better MID displays would be welcome.
  • Charging socket- This should be an easy one.

The top one would be some sort of protection from the elements, Rain, Wind, Dust, Pollution. Something like below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

I personally want a convertible bike. Convertible in the sense a canopy that can cover the bike and where one can sleep inside over the bike. Hehe..Wishful thinking.
Maybe this is what you need. . The All electric zero emissions 200hp MonoTracer MTE-150. Coincidentally got this as a forward a few days back. Thought it was some photo shopped thing. But after seeing this thread and comments, did some digging and it is real. 52K Euros. Sold 150 units before the company went bankrupt. Everything that a car has on two wheels.

Looks like a nice idea, wonder why no one is thinking of affordable covered 2 wheelers that take the space of a bike and can be ridden like a bike with features of a car.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd February 2016 at 15:04.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely lane change indicator (the turn indicator blinks 3 times), I dont know if thats available in the current-gen bikes!

Last edited by anachronix : 22nd February 2016 at 15:24.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Although i am not much of a bike person but one feature i would definately like is the turn indicators automatically turn off after completing a turn just like it happens in a car. This habit of bikers forgetting to turn off the indicator often leads to accidents. This will be a good safety feature.
To deal with this problem some genius had invented an indicator buzzer, to keep the rider informed. However, few bikes these days won't come with buzzers.

Bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi had this auto-cancellation indicators with 2009 or 2010 models. I don't know why later they discontinued it. This was a "WOW" factor in pulsar during those days. I still remember my friend bragging about this car kind of feature in his bike!!
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda engineers thought about most of these features before any of us did. I feel the Goldwing is as car-like as it gets when it comes to features (except a roof, which to be honest is not something any biker worth his sale would want on his motorcycle).

Car features you'd love to see in bikes-2016hondagoldwingfrontview.jpg

Car features you'd love to see in bikes-2016hondagoldwingreview.jpg

These are some of the features (standard + optional) and accessories in the present generation Goldwing. I am sure Honda has not even bothered to mention the small stuff which we are yet to see on any of the smaller capacity bikes.

(1) Heated grips, seats and foot-warmers
(2) Premium surround sound system with Satellite Navigation, Radio, Traffic & Weather information, Trip Planner
(3) Cruise control
(4) 5 speed transmission with overdrive + Electric reverse gear
(5) Antilock Brake System (with CBS)
(6) Rider Airbag (first in the world)
(7) Adjustable windscreen or an optional tall vented wind-screen
(8) 12V accessory socket kit
(9) 40 channel CB radio kit with antenna
(10) Headsets for rider and pillion (different ones for full and half helmets)
(11) LED fog light kit
(12) Passenger arm-rests
(13) Push-to-talk switch
(14) A variety of luggage options (pouches and saddle bags including a cooler!)
(15) Trunk net and trunk light
(16) A tonne of chrome accessories

I am sure I am missing a few features, but if I wanted a comfortable touring motorcycle, and I could afford the Goldwing, I would not even think of anything else.

BMW did try it's hand on a covered two wheeler with the C1, but I don't think there are many people who would want to be seen on a covered two wheeler (just my thoughts as a biker, may be I am wrong).

Car features you'd love to see in bikes-bmwc11254.jpg

And automatic transmission has been available on motorcycles for a while now - there have been a few, but what comes to mind immediately is the Honda VFR1200 DCT.

Attachment 1479116

Not mentioning the Y2K here as it is not any ordinary motorcycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Car features you'd love to see in bikes-2010hondavfr1200f2.jpg  

Last edited by Viju : 22nd February 2016 at 17:06.
Viju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 22:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

For reference I am using my Thunderbird.
It needs nothing extra. Its absolutely perfect in its simplicity and ruggedness.

But if I was to design a bike from scratch, I would like a bigger fuel tank. I hate the fact that the bike has a range of just 400 kms before I start feeling queasy about the fuel level. A petrol tank with a range of 700 kms will mean I can skip that unnecessarily fuel halts.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

A single brake lever or pedal. Let a computer decide how much braking pressure to apply to each wheel based on speed/road conditions/load etc.
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:37   #14
BHPian

The best feature from a car on a motorcycle would be no such feature at all! Bikes should be simple machines which respond to the twist of the throttle and movement of the body.

Or else, get another car.
emperorofindia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread, here are some features from cars that I would like to see in Bikes

- Rev Matching for downshifting
- OBD II Type diagnostics Standard
- Magnetic suspension with on the fly tuning & adjustments as per surface
- Auto dimming side rear view mirrors
- Blind spot Warning on RVMs
- Heated & Cooled hand grips