Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2019, 17:06   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

The early adapters issue is pretty common throughout automotive history. It will take decades to perfect the design eventually but the first owners have to pay a literal price for the rest of us. This is why most automotive tech is debuted with high end vehicles and eventually trickle down to mass market cars everyone can afford.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 18:44   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The early adapters issue is pretty common throughout automotive history. It will take decades to perfect the design eventually but the first owners have to pay a literal price for the rest of us. This is why most automotive tech is debuted with high end vehicles and eventually trickle down to mass market cars everyone can afford.
True that! Hopefully at least by 2040 or so when we have a 5K (?) range in a single charge, we will laugh seeing us fuming today over why only 65 km when the claim was 75
I am yet to come to terms with the fact that it was only in 2008 that touch screens were introduced. I wonder whether Steve.J. even fathomed the impact of that revolutionary design. Something similar should/will happen in the electric world.
Old 23rd February 2019, 21:44   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Ather has started 2019 well I must say. They've delivered all the vehicles to people who had expressed interest in them even before the Booking was opened on 5th June 2018. Now they have started deliveries to people who had not expressed interest before June 5th. I was among the people who hadn't expressed interest before Jun 5th 2018 but booked as soon as bookings opened. I got an email yesterday evening that payment window is open. They have provided 3 options-buy out, loan and lease. I've chosen the Lease option and applied for it. As per the leasing company lease process should be over by 2 business days. After than Ather will confirm.the actual delivery date. Will update more on this next week
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:55   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
The Ather team is very responsive in the forum but I feel that they better get their act together soon. The euphoria is dying out. Mine was supposed to come in Feb but now it says May
I want them to be over aggressive in getting more scooters rolled out. They need to capitalize on their first mover advantage.

Once the big guys come in with their electrics (imagine Honda Active electric), Ather could find itself in difficult position.

I am hoping and wishing Ather be able to beat the 'Goliaths'.
Old 24th February 2019, 09:01   #275
Team-BHP Support

What's the service interval? Don't think there are any replacements needed, but no checkups either?

Couldn't find this info on the website.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:39   #276
BHPian

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

I had chanced upon the Ather energy company and its product while I was simply searching for electric bikes and how far are they from reality. It looked good and their presentation on web was convincing enough for me to express interest. I don’t remember when I had done that but suddenly I got a mail on jun5th to pre order. I immediately did the booking for 5000 and registered on their web app. The delivery date it showed was November. Actually then I had not yet 100% decided but more or less inclined. Sometime in July we went for test ride on the pretext of a family outing and that’s when they came to know that I have already pre ordered it. The scooter immediately felt good and the torque and brake were super. The shocks were like way better than the Yamaha ray z that we had at home. Maybe only Vespa is a little better I would say. But the experience in that Ather store was amazing and it is done with taste. But still the thought of 1.4 lakhs for a scooter was still not going down well with my wife and for me it was a done deal. Anyway I told her that anyway we want to replace the scooter in the next year or so. We can give this a chance and also the fact that since I ride a 8.5 lakh bike she can feel good to ride a 1.4 lakh scooter. Around oct the November delivery changed to February. I was not too worried about it. I think around dec they came up with multiple payment options and doing some math I was convinced that the lease option was quite good. I came to know that around dec a few scooter were getting delivered.

Around Jan end the payment window opened up. I had already made up my mind for the lease. Immediately uploaded all the documents and also paid the downpayment of 75000. The per month cost is 2517, roughly about 95K for 3 years and about 30K for a year. It is not bad considering all the insurance, service and everything maintained by the leasing company. At the end of 3 years I have the option of getting back the 75K, buying it out by paying 5K more or getting a new one with a new monthly subscription. The document verification and the payment all took about a week. Around Feb 15th I got the insurance copy and then on 21st I got the call to pick up the scooter. All the above process was completely online and not even a single phone call or visit to any place. Truly digital !!!

On Feb 22nd I went in the evening and completed the formalities of signing the lease agreement etc and then basic features demo of the scooter and I was ready to ride it home. Being a Friday evening I thought it would be bad traffic but fortunately it was better than expected. The ride home was a different experience. But for sure people observed and I got question at almost every signal. After the customary pooja at home and then the “small roundu” for the kids kept it for charging.

The next day I had a program at office and was ideal to take it for a spin. The 12 kms ride to Manyata was good and as usual eye catcher. So far completed 50 kms and all thumbs up for Ather. It is good product for an Indian startup.

Some pros -

1. Acceleration is overall good. But best after the initial start.
2. Handling is good both at low speeds and high speeds.
3. Shocks are good. Comparable to vespa.
4. Brakes are good and needs time from a Honda/yamaha
5. Storage and dashboards awesome.
6. Eye candy.. maybe it is because of exclusivity currently..

And cons -

1. Mirror - I think I still have not adjusted properly.
2. Seats are ok.. but maybe not too comfortable for the more time.. but anyway it is 75 kms max.. so it is ok..
3. Center stand.. at least on option as an accessory..
madhukar_n is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 19:15   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What's the service interval? Don't think there are any replacements needed, but no checkups either?

Couldn't find this info on the website.
Service interval is once every 5,000 kms. The first service happens at home (5k service) and 10K service happens at the factory. The service team will take the vehicle to the factory for service and drop it back under the service plan.
spd_tkt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 12:22   #278
Senior - BHPian

Founder Tarun Mehta's talk about Ather's journey (it is a bit old video)

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th March 2019 at 12:32.
Old 12th March 2019, 22:30   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Got home the Ather 450 on March 3rd, Sunday.
It's been more than a week and over 400kms with the scooter now. Already lot of experiences with the scooter. Ownership report will come up soon.

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-img20190303wa000901.jpeg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc_8104.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-img_20190310_103418_074.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 09:35   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Ownership report will come up soon.
Really looking forward to this one!

Convinced that my next commuter will be electric, hope it's one of these!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 16:27   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been more than a week and over 400kms with the scooter now. Already lot of experiences with the scooter. Ownership report will come up soon.

Congratulations Hemanth. Eagerly looking for the first impressions and the ownership review.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 16:31   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!! Eagerly looking forward to hear more from your experience. As I have already mentioned previously, I am very excited about Ather. From what I think, it should not be too much of a hassle to fit electric vehicles in our city lifestyle. Would love to hear from you on this specifically. I sincerely hope that Ather production picks up pace. There are lakhs of scooters running around, Ather can definitely convert a few thousands easily.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 16:46   #283
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1858737

Attachment 1858736

Attachment 1858738
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Hope you have many happy miles with this smart vehicle. Eagerly waiting for the report.
AKV10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 17:12   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congrats Hemanth, once again. Beautiful machine - pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

Love the keychain, by the way. Looks like metal - so won't it knock against the dashboard?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 09:19   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Congratulations Hemanth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Congratulations!! Eagerly looking forward to hear more from your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKV10 View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats Hemanth, once again. Beautiful machine - pretty sure you'll enjoy it.
Thanks people. I thought a scooter ownership report would be easier than a car's. How wrong I was...my keyboard is crying for help

Quote:
Love the keychain, by the way. Looks like metal - so won't it knock against the dashboard?
Yes it's a laser etched metal piece. It's a thin metal piece albeit. also thanks to the ultra long key, it hardly touches anything outside the key hole
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks