Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 13:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: 2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

Funny how the BMW G310 seems almost out of the race now.
Totally depends on the pricing when compared to the KTM's.

Not to forget that TVS traditionally release a more stable/better quality product compared to Bajaj. That is evident in the number of iterations they have for one product during its lifecycle.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 13:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Totally depends on the pricing when compared to the KTM's.

Not to forget that TVS traditionally release a more stable/better quality product compared to Bajaj. That is evident in the number of iterations they have for one product during its lifecycle.
Quality is Overrated.

For the segment that seeks excitement than peace of mind..

.. case in point - Royal Enfield

Last edited by payeng : 14th September 2016 at 13:23.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:59   #63
BHPian

If the price remains about the same, this bike is definitely going to sell like hot cakes.

Few Points:

1) Rear section of the bike is definitely going to need a tail tidy.
2) I understand the bike is a naked one but is it me or does anybody else thinks that bike 'looks' skinny?
3) I personally like the belly exhaust but with the side mounted exhaust, it would be easy to add aftermarket exhaust.
4) I was just wondering how would 2017 RC would look like?

Any inside news as to when this bike is going to be launched?

drive_angry
Old 14th September 2016, 17:56   #64
BHPian

I'm glad i decided to wait for the 2017 Duke. Could have gone ahead with a MY2016 390 duke and ended up regretting heavily. So glad.

Bike looks like an absolute monster. I hope they launch it sooner.
Old 14th September 2016, 18:24   #65
BHPian

I was also waiting, but it doesn't look like a bike to be ridden 2-up. That same horrible tail section is present. They could have utilized that space to make the rear seat bit more usable; of course, that would shift the cg a bit to the rear and made handling characteristics less track like and more tourer like. Guess it's call KTM has taken.
Old 14th September 2016, 22:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I was also waiting, but it doesn't look like a bike to be ridden 2-up. That same horrible tail section is present. They could have utilized that space to make the rear seat bit more usable; of course, that would shift the cg a bit to the rear and made handling characteristics less track like and more tourer like. Guess it's call KTM has taken.
This is the decision that pulled KTM out of bankruptcy. There are several options out there in the market for versatile performance like the R3, G310, RS200 etc. KTM decided to focus their products on being dedicated solely towards achieving the most performance potential. That helped the brand create it's own identity and gave several hardcore enthusiasts an option in the naked and fully faired space, that never existed. Those that went for a KTM based solely on price, looks and features, are usually the ones who begin to complain about irrelevant issues such as these, a year down the line.

It's all about priorities mate, you got to pick yours since the brand and the bike has already picked it's own and you cannot expect it to adapt. If pillion comfort is a higher priority than outright comfort, look at the upcoming TVS BMW G310 or the Bajaj VS400. These other bikes exist because the real world is not about lap times or specs and not everyone wants hardcore performance afterall

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th September 2016 at 22:51.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 23:02   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
One more sighting.

This time a detailed walkaround.
Looks like almost everyone missed the biggest upgrade: the new saree guard

On a serious note, the new Duke is a massive upgrade! A very pleasant change from the 'all new' sticker job upgrades that most motorcycle manufacturers seem to be offering these days.
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 00:02   #68
BHPian

I'm eyeing the bashplate for my 390 I never liked the pointed plastic engine guard design on the current version.
Old 15th September 2016, 14:14   #69
BHPian

Autocar India has come up with some interesting stuff.

Quote:
one or more of the paint schemes on offer will be identical to its larger 1,301cc sibling
Quote:
the tank is now supposed to be all-metal
Quote:
There’s a lot more pizazz on the bikes including a LCD instrument cluster. This will be a full colour TFT unit very similar to the one from the latest 690 Dukeand our sources tell us that this will have integration with the riders’ smartphone, and will be able to show GPS data. And just like that from the 690, the tachometer graph will change colours as the revs climb. The latest video also confirms new 4-way input switchgear to navigating the menus on this new LDC instrument cluster.
Quote:
a very interesting fact which has emerged is that now the front end will feature Separate Function Forks, i.e. with one side handling damping duties, and the other handling rebound. And our sources have told us that the benefits of this new suspension are apparent the moment you ride the bike, with the front end providing much better ride quality over bumpy surfaces, without sacrificing the bike’s sharp turn-in characteristics which we have all come to love so much.
Expected to be showcased at EICMA 2016!
theredliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 14:17   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
front end will feature Separate Function Forks
Like the Versys. That's good. Though I doubt all those fancy gizmos will come on the 390. Sounds more for the adventure version of the 690 or 1000+
Old 15th September 2016, 16:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Autocar India has come up with some interesting stuff.

Seeing this piece of text...

Quote:
However, as excited as we are hearing about all these upcoming updates, let’s bear in mind that from last year, European-spec bikes have been different from the Indian motorcycles.
It is quite probable that the we (Indians) continue to get the MY2016 or a limited feature set version of the MY2017 version.

BAL/KTM, please prove me wrong. I will pick this (or actually the ADV variant) if all these features make it to the final bike launched in India.

But then again, with new electronics comes new problems which will take a while to stabilise. Looks like I will need to hold onto my old hag for a couple of more years
Old 16th September 2016, 20:00   #72
BHPian

Great move by Ktm. All the tidbits that are coming in just reinforce the fact that the Duke will remain king of the hill when it comes to affordable performance biking. Some points from my side.

1. The bike looks launch ready. The timing is perfect to take the shine and brouhaha off the impending beemer 310.

2. It's a proper upgrade. The bodywork looks stellar with forward mass centralisation and aggressive lines. More ktmy if I can say so. And thankfully it's a functional upgrade not just grungy graphics. (Yes , hero I'm looking at you!)

3. With an all metal tank and a larger exhaust I'm concerned about the weight the ktm would have put on. After all being light and lithe was one of its core strengths.

4. With all the previous launch testing going on hopefully the initial niggles would be kept at a bare minimum.

Waiting eagerly for the launch and looking forward to reading reviews of early bird bhpians who are about to bite into this tasty treat and getting this baby home.
Old 1st November 2016, 14:11   #73
Team-BHP Support

With Deepawali done & dusted, it appears the new KTM Duke 390 won't have a launch this year? Any dates/scoops on launch date?
Old 1st November 2016, 21:07   #74
BHPian

The RC390 2017 is already on the KTM India site. About D390, I had read that it would be Q2 2017.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
With Deepawali done & dusted, it appears the new KTM Duke 390 won't have a launch this year? Any dates/scoops on launch date?
They'll mostly launch it in EICMA which will happen from 10-13 Nov.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks