Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 16:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016

KTM's entry-level naked-bike game changer is undergoing a series of alterations/updates, as the Austrian automaker gears up to introduce the 2017 KTM Duke 390. Spy shots of the bike have emerged from Spain, and the bike sports a restyled fuel tank, tweaked side panels, a different tail light and new seats.

The changes however, are believed to go beyond the cosmetic alterations. The 373.2cc engine in the Duke 390 currently makes 43 BHP and as per the report by motorcyclenews, the new model could see that number go up further with the bike becoming more fuel efficient as well. The 2017 Duke 390 will comply with the 2017 Euro 4 emission norms and it looks like the underbelly exhaust will be swapped with a side-mounted exhaust end-can layout.

KTM will phase out its current range of 125cc - 375cc motorcycles by the end of 2016 and introduce new products based on new engine platforms. The new Duke 390 will be manufactured at Bajaj's plant in Chakan, Maharashtra, for the domestic as well as export markets. An official reveal is likely to take place in November 2016 at EICMA, Milan, with global sales beginning in 2017.

2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016-.jpg

2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016-1.jpg
Tushar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 17:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
KTM's entry-level naked-bike game changer is undergoing a series of alterations/updates,

the new model could see that number go up further with the bike becoming more fuel efficient as well
Awesome news if indeed true. You can kind of see why the company views bikes like the 690 as redundant in such a scenario
Old 15th March 2016, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for this one, I've heard that this one's new engine might come with a second balance shaft to even out the vibrations. Great improvements on an already great value for money vehicle.
Speedshift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
Eagerly waiting for this one, I've heard that this one's new engine might come with a second balance shaft to even out the vibrations. Great improvements on an already great value for money vehicle.
That would be a welcome addition. That, along with claimed improvement in FE would be fantastic. The fairing looks even smaller though. There hardly was any in the first place. I believe the specs are going to be the same though?
The external exhaust too is a welcome addition. I feel it'll greatly improve the exhaust note.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 14:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
That would be a welcome addition. That, along with claimed improvement in FE would be fantastic. The fairing looks even smaller though. There hardly was any in the first place. I believe the specs are going to be the same though?
The external exhaust too is a welcome addition. I feel it'll greatly improve the exhaust note.
The power and torque ratings would see an increase for sure but they may be just marginal as power is something which the 390 doesn't lack for its class, the duke 690 gained around 6hp between 2015 and 2016 models. I would definitely like the low end torque to improve as that's the only negative I have with my 390.

I have also read somewhere that KTM plans to add cornering ABS to DUKE/RC series, that would be a very welcome addition to the already potent braking package offered. The new 2017 RC 390 has a larger rotor on the front now which should also come to the newer duke. The front rotor visible in the spy pics also looks larger than the one offered on current 390.

The short tail makes the bike look more proportionate as I feel the current one's tail is a bit too stretched.
Speedshift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 01:08   #6
BHPian

For the first time ever, the all new 2017 Duke 390.
Look at the bike, and it is sharper in every sense.

What’s all-new:

*New split multibeam headlamp, like a slit in the centre
*New sharper tank panel
*Fiber fuel tank
*New flat instrument consol
*New trellis frame with a different subframe
*New switchgear
*New adjustable levers
*New radiator case on side
*New exhaust system
*New pillion seat section
*New tail lamp (covered here)

What’s carried over:

-Same turn indicators
-Same footpegs
-Same Metzeler tyres
-Almost similar front & rear suspension
-Similar rear swingarm

Although the bike could retain the 375cc engine capacity, reports suggest that the engine capacity could be a little different than the current motor. Also, the bike will produce more power, will have a revised revv limiter, and better top end performance than the current model. Expect ride-by-wire to also be made available in this upgrade.

Of course, it will continue with the best-in-class features like ABS & slipper clutch.

Source : Shifting Gears.

Looks really radical. Performance expected to increase as well and so are the dynamics. If the pricing doesn't change too much, then this is a total explosive package which will absolutely destroy the competition. I'm so psyched right now!
Attached Thumbnails
2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016-13435536_1279883945355412_127792125117251925_n.jpg  

The Brutailer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

holy mother of God. what a face.

it's the Devil's Son
payeng is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 12:46   #8
BHPian

I am also hoping for better engine tune to deliver more torque lower down. The bike is fantastic from 3500 rpm on - we need similar power from 2000 rpm
And secondly a bigger fuel tank with atleast 300km range.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

All what you guys are asking for in terms of torque and tank range will be kept aside for an adv version of any... This bike will probably carry forward the same genetics in a more violent manner
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 19:05   #10
BHPian

From what I can see, there's an all new digital meter as well (maybe coloured like the 690 duke?) as well as riding modes (not that we need it in such a bike).

Wondering how the 2017 RC series will look.
Old 12th June 2016, 10:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
For the first time ever, the all new 2017 Duke 390.
Wow. I think that's (one of) the best looking front face in a bike that costs south of 10 Lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
holy mother of God. what a face.

it's the Devil's Son
I hope it's not a sin to be smitten with this face

Also, the new face somehow reminds of this Star Wars character (remember him?) -
2017 KTM Duke 390. Now unveiled at EICMA 2016-general_grievous_by_hessianforhired88zcsr.jpg
Also, the character's early life quote resonates with KTM's changes to this bike -

"Sometimes I wonder why you submitted to the changes."

"Improvements. I submit to no one. I chose them."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grievous)

Quote:
From what I can see, there's an all new digital meter as well (maybe coloured like the 690 duke?) as well as riding modes (not that we need it in such a bike).
I sure hope that's the case. That would really complete the package.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 10:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the changes are cosmetic unless they are taking ktm390 to 4L price point to bring functional changes as well.

My thought is the price will be close to 3 plus with some neat addition. The bike will still be value for money compared to similar offerings from bmw or kawa yet cheaper by say atleast 50k
Old 12th June 2016, 11:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think the changes are cosmetic unless they are taking ktm390 to 4L price point to bring functional changes as well.

My thought is the price will be close to 3 plus with some neat addition. The bike will still be value for money compared to similar offerings from bmw or kawa yet cheaper by say atleast 50k
I think the price will remain more or less the same. Because KTM did not increase the prices by a large margin even after adding slipper clutch and other improvements on the updated bikes. KTM is an successful formula because of its VFM package. It's so because of localisation (Bajaj partnership) and well, it's a single cylinder. So i dont think it'll go near the twin cylinder territory. If Yamaha launches MT-03 and if it's priced same as duke 390, atleast 90% of the public will go for Yamaha because it is a better bike.
Old 12th June 2016, 16:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
All what you guys are asking for in terms of torque and tank range will be kept aside for an adv version of any... This bike will probably carry forward the same genetics in a more violent manner
If they do release such an ADV variant it will be my dream bike

Quote:

They may not go for big changes but all look like functional upgrades and not purely cosmetic. Pricewise it should be a minor bump - 3L will kill the value proposition of the bike which makes it such a good seller. I am guessing no more than 2.5L on road.
Old 12th June 2016, 17:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Perhaps better reliability and cooling could be expected. Hope the head gasket issues are sorted out with this high compression motor.

Quote:
I think the price will remain more or less the same. Because KTM did not increase the prices by a large margin even after adding slipper clutch and other improvements on the updated bikes. KTM is an successful formula because of its VFM package. It's so because of localisation (Bajaj partnership) and well, it's a single cylinder. So i dont think it'll go near the twin cylinder territory. If Yamaha launches MT-03 and if it's priced same as duke 390, atleast 90% of the public will go for Yamaha because it is a better bike.
That's actually not true. "Yamaha is a better bike" is an unnecessarily sweeping statement. KTM has grown to be a fierce competitor mainly because of their ethos. The brand has chucked versatility, practicality, refinement etc. all out of the window to pursue the manufacturing of focused and pure race-bred machines. The brand remains on top in Europe where prices are actually higher than they are in India. Duke 390 and RC 390 are infact more expensive than their twin cylinder Japanese counterparts in these markets. For example, the RC 390 may have poor low-end torque, choppy fuelling at low revs, hard shifts at city speeds, hard ride, poor tank range etc. but everything comes into its own once you wring the throttle open it flies to the red-line, shifts flawlessly, chases the rev-limiter at in every gear and the aggressive riding stance and steep rake offers immense feedback and lets you carve corners beautifully. It still offers unparalleled performance be it in a straight line or around corners and for those that are after that pure race-ready manic nature, no comparatively tame R3 or Ninja 300 with their twin cylinder motors, superior refinement, build and comfort, will ever do, even if offered at the same price. KTM manages to retain a unique identity regardless of VFM. The low price due to local manufacturing in a third world country like ours, is just an added benefit appealing greatly to our low-income performance starved market. Sure many middle-aged men will go for the more practical, comfortable and refined bikes if they are given at a lower price, but let's not forget that youngsters constitute the largest demographic and a lot of them will not be willing to sacrifice absolute performance for any of those characteristics.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th June 2016 at 17:17.
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks